Started by Sabby, May 31, 2009, 12:45:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wyrd

Ragtime Dandies!

Wolfy

Sel Nar

Quote from: Wolfy on April 03, 2011, 12:44:56 AM
Yep, as real as a $2 bill. :D

I still have those as legal tender. Use a different metaphor.

Wolfy

Oniya

Unless Blizzard's left an April Fools joke up for longer than the tasteful amount of time... the metaphor might be apt.  O_o

As in, something that many people think is fake but isn't.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Hemingway

Quote from: Wolfy on April 02, 2011, 04:18:07 PM
Just watch, you'll see....this week's topic was Gamification, or taking aspects of games (Leveling up, Achievements, etc) and applying them to our daily lives to make it not so..boring.

There's an app for that. No, I'm serious.

Quote from: Wolfy on April 03, 2011, 01:55:01 AM
As Real as a Duck-Beaver Hybrid. :D

The platypus would have words with you.

Inkidu

I got my new 360 today. I'm not one to personify inanimate objects in real life but that thing is just sexy.

Anyway. It took less money than I thought so with 60 bucks in disposable income left I bought a controller charger and Just Cause 2.

It's a fun game but it's just mindless Saint's Row caliber fun. Why did I tether a man behind my jet and take off? Just Cause.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

dready

Played Brutal Legend and Mirror's Edge within the past week.

Beat Brutal Legend, and I loved how the characters and story and even minor events were memorable, yet almost each of 'em is a spoiler. :b

Mirror's Edge is awesome for how it works as a parkour first person game. It doesn't work well with recognizing contacts and grabbing angles on a consistent basis, as well as having far too many spots that require you to have prior knowledge of what is to come without a death to be mandatory, and that's not even including the parts where you know what you need to do and it doesn't register that crucial wall run, or delays your jump half a second after you press the bumper.

Brutal Legend gets a recommendation from me to anyone who likes games that are fun yet difficult to play.

Mirror's Edge is only recommended so you can know how it feels to be a parkour runner, so you should play the demo instead of buy or rent the game itself.

Shjade

The handful of games I've been cycling through in the last month:

Left 4 Dead 2 when my versus group is on for some fun.
Vindictus
Lord of the Rings Online
Minecraft (though I think I've just about run this one dry)
Sims Medieval (which is unfortunately shallower than I'd hoped, but still more fun than the Sims games for someone who likes having concrete goals in game mechanics)
Theme: Make Me Feel - Janelle Monáe
◕/◕'s
Conversation is more useful than conversion.

dready

Quote from: Shjade on April 05, 2011, 03:37:32 AM
Minecraft (though I think I've just about run this one dry)
Lies. Every week or so there's a new update to the game.

Then again it's a self-goal-driven sort of game, so possibly you would need a reason to continue playing?

Sabby

Jak 2. Not as good as Jak 3, but still great, if infuriating :/ the busted R1 on my controller I blame on Jak 3 being a dick. And now it impedes my playthrough of Jak 2...

Pandoras Kitten

I play SimCity Societies because everyone hates it and that's the reason why I love it.

I love to adapt to the different environment and understand the developers' working concept, and see how it relates to the real world.

Hemingway

Well, I finished Crysis 2.

The ending was easily the best part of the whole game. In fact, the ending was pretty damn good. Whereas most of the game was completely predictable, the ending was a complete curveball. The final part of the game was also an interesting change of scenery.

It's not enough to forgive the game for all its shortcomings in terms of gameplay. I still think the gameplay, at least when aliens were involved ( which is, to say, most of the game ) was far too slow ( killing the aliens is necessary to upgrade your suit - if not for that, it would've been acceptable ), right up to the end. The checkpoints were few and far between, resulting in more than on instance of having to redo a long fight because there was another one after, with no checkpoint in-between.

I also think the story could've been way better, quite easily. However, the ending is at least creative enough to make me want to play the next game. Maybe then I won't spend half the game wondering, "what the hell does any of this have to do with the original?"

Yeah, and why does Alcatraz never speak? It works in some games, like Half-Life, but ... come on. How much of the story would've been a complete waste if only he actually talked?

Inkidu

I'm trying to decide what upcoming game I want. I'm not really hurting for a FPS right now so I've kind of written off Crysis 2 and Bulletstorm until they hit the thirty dollar range. Gosh, with so many delays I think I might save up for a cheap refurbed PS3 and some of its older titles.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Hemingway

Yeah, I'd wait for those games, too. Crysis isn't bad, but it's no must-play. Bulletstorm is fantastic, but the lack of competetive multiplayer means its length is somewhat lacking - unless you love competing against yourself, in which case Echo mode is great.

The Witcher 2 isn't too far away, though.

Inkidu

Quote from: Hemingway on April 05, 2011, 04:39:20 PM
Yeah, I'd wait for those games, too. Crysis isn't bad, but it's no must-play. Bulletstorm is fantastic, but the lack of competetive multiplayer means its length is somewhat lacking - unless you love competing against yourself, in which case Echo mode is great.

The Witcher 2 isn't too far away, though.
I'm the kind of guy who believes a game should be able to stand on its single-player element alone. Multiplayer is all well and good, but when you take it down to brass tacks they're more or less the same standard set of games. I also heard from a lot of people that Bulletstorm gets repetitive and the last quarter of the game kind of flags. So yeah, thirty dollar range. When does the Witcher 2 come out, May?

Hemingway

Quote from: Inkidu on April 05, 2011, 04:45:57 PM
I'm the kind of guy who believes a game should be able to stand on its single-player element alone. Multiplayer is all well and good, but when you take it down to brass tacks they're more or less the same standard set of games. I also heard from a lot of people that Bulletstorm gets repetitive and the last quarter of the game kind of flags. So yeah, thirty dollar range. When does the Witcher 2 come out, May?

The Witcher comes out in May, yeah.

I prefer single player myself, and I have to say, to the extent that you can actually compare the two, Bulletstorm is far superior to Crysis 2. Bulletstorm has a better story, if you can believe that, its gameplay is way better ( assuming, of course you like the concept ) and ... well, they're roughly of the same length.

Sabby

Wolfy

Quote from: Sabby on April 05, 2011, 10:31:15 PM
I want Red Faction: Armageddon, bad.
Because the other Red Faction games were soooooo good. o3o

Sel Nar

Any game that gets its own fansong for letting the protagonist be a colossal asshole is inherently awesome; I can't wait for RF4 myself.

Wolfy

Ok, I may get it for the Destructible environments.

Especially if they can somehow pull off a multiplayer mode that has them...

Sure you can shoot someone, but it's more fun to bring a house down on them.

Sel Nar

Oh, you mean like the Multiplayer in RF:G that already does that? Volition knows how to make good multiplay mayhem. I'll trust in their effort.

Sabby

Yeah, nothing quite like seeing your team mate running by a house only to have someone with a Rhino Pack shoulder barge right through the wall and slam into him, taking the whole side of the building with it.

I remember I told my buddy, who had a Concussion Pack, that an enemy was inside. He goes "I got this one" Runs inside. Boom. Entire building just... shudders a little, like the shockwave hit pretty much every part of it in a minor way, just breaking some concrete and ruffling the metal.

He comes walking back out as the whole building starts falling in on itself. "It's cool, I got him"

Wolfy

Hmm..is that multiplayer still active? :P I could probably pick that game up for cheap. :D

Sabby