Science fiction scenario - looking for interest

Started by RedEve, October 20, 2013, 05:25:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RedEve

The basic concept is such: a deep space human colony has gone radio silent.
A repair/reconnaissance crew is sent out there to find out what has happened. This ship would be manned by both military types and scientists/engineers.
Shortly after arriving, the crew would be attacked as well by a strange alien being. Several of the crew would be killed, and the rest of them would lock themselves in a safe - for now - part of the colony compound.
The scenario is obviously based upon movies like Aliens and video games like Dead Space.

Whilst in lock-down, the crew would find out that there is a large complement of non-activated replicants (basically human-like robots) in one of the cargo bays.
They would remotely activate several of those to help them find out what had happened and where the strange alien being that attacked them came from.

The catch: these replicants would not be programmed for combat, so they would be vulnerable to attacks as well. Their programming would vary from maintenance, engineering to more menial tasks like cooking. A few of them might even be pleasure models (think Gigolo Joe or Jane in A.I.). So even the robots would be out of their depth, but their directive to obey human orders would compel them to still try to carry out the orders they receive.

I see this as a game for 5-8 PCs, with the roles being evenly (or as near as possible) divided between humans and replicants. The rest of the characters (human and alien) will be NPCs.

If you find this idea at all appealing, leave a message in here.
"I don't have a dirty mind, I have a sexy imagination."
My ons and offs- My F-list

Hercinia

Wow, this looks totally cool.

I'm showing plenty of interest in this and thinking of maybe a replicate.

I've been looking for something like this for a while now, nice to spot one with PC slots open for once.

RedEve

Some more details.
The initial complement of men on the repair vessel will have been 16. Ten of those were security/military. Six of those were engineers and scientists.
In the fracas before they reached the safe section of the compound, they lost most of their security force. Only three of those still remain.
The scientists fared better, and all but one of them survived.

Chreestafer

id like to post interest in a military spot if possible :)

would a "cyborg" type of human work? someone with "upgrades" persay, like robotic leg, or arm, eyes, cock, etc be acceptable?
“The Doctor: This is bad, I don't like this. [kicks console and yells in pain] Never use force, you just embarrass yourself. Unless you're cross, in which case... always use force!
Amy: Shall I run and get the manual?
The Doctor: I threw it in a supernova.
Amy: You threw the manual in a supernova? Why?
The Doctor: Because I disagreed with it! Now stop talking to me when I'm cross!”
Ons and Offs
F-List

RedEve

It's a universe with advanced robotics, so augmented humans would exist, and military personnel would be prime candidates for the "improvements".

Chreestafer

nice, im in :)

any CS yet or stand by for the moment?
“The Doctor: This is bad, I don't like this. [kicks console and yells in pain] Never use force, you just embarrass yourself. Unless you're cross, in which case... always use force!
The Doctor: Because I disagreed with it! Now stop talking to me when I'm cross!”
Ons and Offs
F-List

RedEve

Will post a CS template when I have a bit more interest. :)

Chrystal

Ah. Uh... Yeah.

Forbidden Planet.

Which actually evolved into "Lost In Space" - the original TV series not the crappy 1990s movie.

"Danger Will Robinson, Danger!" *flails arms about*

So, uh, yeah.

Sci-fi is Chrystal-bait. You have me interested, now you just need to reel me in.... :p

Please check out my latest A/A post.
I would rather watch a movie then have dinner than have dinner then watch a movie!

RedEve

Our Robbies will look slightly less Robbie-like though. ;)

Which role are you leaning towards?

Chrystal

Quote from: RedEve on October 20, 2013, 09:21:55 AM
Our Robbies will look slightly less Robbie-like though. ;)

Which role are you leaning towards?

Not totally sure yet.

Perhaps a sexy female replicant programmed for cleaning and general maintenance, that has a glitch in it's programming put there by the female (lesbian) programmer on purpose to make it act gay? Failing that one of the scientists, possibly a maintenance technician. Given that there are clearly extra-terrestrial life forms in your universe, are you limiting the crew to human?

I'm curious though, about a couple of things: The crew are going to stay safe in the sealed part of the base, while the machines get sent out to fight the nasty tentacle monsters, and yet none of the machines are programmed to fight. This seems rather one-sided and short-lived to me. As I said, I'm interested, but a way short of saying yes I'll join as yet. I have rather a lot of questions:

• How do the aliens attack?
  • When they attack a replicant, will it be killed?
  • If not, how do the replicants survive?
  • Is it possible for a player to have two characers, one human and one replecant?
  • Is it possible to play a non-human who is allied to the humans?
  • How will the replicants go about investigating?
  • what will the humans be doing? (Or is that a dumb question? *eyeroll*)
  • What forum where you thinking of putting the game in?

Sorry to be a pain, but if I wasn't interested, I wouldn't be asking. It's a good idea, that needs working on to make it a great idea...!

I would rather watch a movie then have dinner than have dinner then watch a movie!

RedEve

Well, the idea isn't for the machines to do all of the fighting.
They will be activated to join the humans in the safe/locked down section of the compound and do some reconnaissance on their way over.
The storage bay where they are being held is on the other side of the facility.

Now in terms of the questions:

How do the aliens attack?

The aliens can most easily be likened to the Xenomorphs in Alien, though without the part where their blood doubles as an acid.
Their appearance will be more like a bipedal crustacean, around ten feet in height.
Their attacks will focus on their superior strength and the sharpness of their claws (as well as sharp edges on their exo-skeleton).
Said exo-skeleton will also work as alien kevlar against low-caliber gunshots. It will take a lot of high caliber rounds or a small explosion to bring even one down.

When they attack a replicant, will it be killed?
    If not, how do the replicants survive?

Replicants can die if they sustain too much damage. Since the aliens are strong enough to dismember and literally rip humans and replicants to shreds, that means that replicants can and will perish.
Obviously though they can survive wounds that would kill a human almost instantly. They are no longer salvagable when their memory core (which is located in their head) is completely destroyed.
So even a beheaded replicant can still have his consciousness loaded into another body, but once the memory core itself is destroyed, the replicant is essentially dead.

Is it possible for a player to have two characers, one human and one replecant?

Whether or not I allow multiple characters depends a bit upon how many people are interested in this game. Right now I am leaning towards "yes".

Is it possible to play a non-human who is allied to the humans?

The non-humans have no interest to ally themselves with the humans. In essence, their intelligence is primitive (though they do have a form of communication that allows them to work in units).
They perceive the humans as a treat to their territory and their only response is to wipe them out.

How will the replicants go about investigating?

The replicants will search the sections of the base they need to pass through to reach the trapped humans. Some portions will have limited to no power, others will still be fully functioning.
Likewise, not every section will (already) have an alien presence.

what will the humans be doing?

The humans will activate the replicants remotely and then initially wait for the replicants to reach them. Once they have, they will use the date the replicants have gathered and devise a common strategy to escape.

What forum where you thinking of putting the game in?

I was leaning towards the NC exotic section.

Hope this answers some of your questions! :)

RedEve

Not really decided yet how anthropomorphous the aliens will be.
This would be pretty humanoid in form:

Probably too much so for the sake of this game.

Then there are more primitive looking creatures like these:

Chreestafer

are player characters aloud to be an alternate race? like could be a anthro wolf from the beta galaxy that works as a military personnel?
Ons and Offs
F-List

RedEve

No, all of the non-aliens are either human or replicant.

Chreestafer

Ons and Offs
F-List

RedEve

To expand upon your question a bit further:
In this game's universe, humans have colonized several dozen planets and moons, but they have only rarely encountered life forms, and when they did, they were rather primitive.
85% of the worlds they have colonized were devoid of any native life.
The remaining 15% did have some life forms, though they consisted mainly of single cell organisms.
On only two of their colonies have they discovered multicellular life forms, primarily in the form of trilobite-like creatures.
The aliens that have overrun the compound are by far the most advanced they have ever made contact with.

Chrystal

QuoteIs it possible to play a non-human who is allied to the humans?

You misunderstood the question ...

Quote from: Chreestafer on October 20, 2013, 11:41:17 AM
are player characters aloud to be an alternate race? like could be a anthro wolf from the beta galaxy that works as a military personnel?

Quote from: RedEve on October 20, 2013, 11:58:34 AM
To expand upon your question a bit further:
In this game's universe, humans have colonized several dozen planets and moons, but they have only rarely encountered life forms, and when they did, they were rather primitive.
85% of the worlds they have colonized were devoid of any native life.
The remaining 15% did have some life forms, though they consisted mainly of single cell organisms.
On only two of their colonies have they discovered multicellular life forms, primarily in the form of trilobite-like creatures.
The aliens that have overrun the compound are by far the most advanced they have ever made contact with.

THAT....

Okay, so...

to expand on another question that you answered, but didn't totally answer because I didn't ask the entire question:

Will player characters get killed off in any circumstance other than the player dropping out?

It actually might be fun to be a replicant that gets decapitated, the memory core gets rescued and grafted onto another body...

I'm kind-of leaning towards a human maintenance tech at the moment. Someone skilled in the black arts of keeping a life support system functioning...

If we get to make two characters I might go with a replicant who is a cleaner, too.

RedEve

Will player characters get killed off in any circumstance other than the player dropping out?

PC injuries and possible demise will only be done with the players explicit permission.

RedEve

Human CS:

[float=right][img width=350 padding=15][/img][/float]
[b]Name:[/b]
[b]Age:[/b]
[b]Rank:[/b]
[b]Role on ship:[/b]
[b]Bio:[/b]

Replicant CS:

[float=right][img width=350 padding=15][/img][/float]
[b]Designation:[/b] (Replicants have a coded designation consisting of two letters and six numbers e.g. YA-257714. Most have a call-sign besides that. Those can be anything from a real given name to any random word.)
[b]Programming:[/b] (all of the replicants have basic subroutines that allow them to mimic human behavior and interact with their creators. Besides that, they have programs that are specific to their task. e.g. a replicant who is to work as a cook will have several programs that specialize in cuisine)
[b]Status:[/b] (unless I say otherwise, all of the replicants will initially be offline)
[b]Background:[/b] (some replicants have a service history that you can list here, others will be switched on for the first time)

AndyZ

It's all good, and it's all in fun.  Now get in the pit and try to love someone.

Ons/Offs   -  My schedule and A/As   -    My Avatars

If I've owed you a post for at least a week, poke me.

RedEve

Applications need to be PMed to me.
Roles will not be attributed on a first come, first serve basis but on the quality of your character concept.

Chrystal

Quote from: RedEve on October 20, 2013, 04:12:09 PM
Applications need to be PMed to me.
Roles will not be attributed on a first come, first serve basis but on the quality of your character concept.

Now that is what I like to hear...

... Or read, anyway, lol!

I'm now tempted to come up with a really weak concept, just to see if I can get rejected... *snigger*

Biles

So far, it seems these xenomorphic aliens will attack any targets on site. Any possible chance they may abduct humans and rape them? Also, are shemales, femboys, and futanaries (female-hermaphrodites) allowed in the game?
[tr][td]
Denai Academy
Student: Amara Yochumaru[/td][/tr][tr][td]Zootopia: Hybrid Theory
Animal: Mocha[/td][/tr][tr][td]The Run
Hunted: Xuna Bladereaver[/td][/tr][/table]

RedEve

There will be no sexual component to the alien-human or alien-replicant interactions (if you want to call blind violence an interaction). :P
And sorry, but no shemales, futas & co in this game either.

Biles

[tr][td]
Denai Academy
Student: Amara Yochumaru[/td][/tr][tr][td]Zootopia: Hybrid Theory
Animal: Mocha[/td][/tr][tr][td]The Run
Hunted: Xuna Bladereaver[/td][/tr][/table]