What are you playing? [SPOILER TAGS PLEASE]

Started by Sabby, May 31, 2009, 12:45:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Life in Color

Torchlight 2 came out today!

Why can't my paycheck be here tomorrow! Gr.

SinXAzgard21

Quote from: Alixandre on September 20, 2012, 08:20:02 AM

I'll be getting this at the end of the month so those who do end up playing we all should roam around dungeons and murder things.
If you know me personally, you know how to contact me.

SinXAzgard21

Quote from: Sabby on September 18, 2012, 12:58:25 PM
The actual Phasewalking kind of deal seems to be Zero's thing now, so if you really liked the Siren, then I hope you also like sniper rifles.

While he is the 'sniper' he actually doesn't get full bonuses for sniper rifles till later in his tree.  He can find relics that boost the damage though.  His 'phase walk' deception works more in favor of melee as it is actually useful.  Killing blow one of the two first abilities in his third tree will give 500% melee damage at max rank and I have a relic that boosts it to 700%.  tag that with Deceptions 650% melee and you can destroy most enemies and really hurt certain bosses.  You can snipe with just about anything in this game as long as it has a scope with Zer0's sniping tree.

Wolfy

Well I'm playing as Axton.

And good lord, the Turret, man....the turret!

Lirliel

Yes... that turret... hmmm.. that delicious.. delicious turret.

So far I'm lvl.. 15 now I think, the only thing right now, so few missions.. really. I hope it picks up after. Met some nice 'interesting' characters though.

Lolled at the volleyball quest.

Also.. way .. way WAY to many call-outs to stuff I saw on 4chan. Like.. serious pandering.
"Jealousy would be far less torturous if we understood that love is a passion entirely unrelated to our merits."

"A minute of perfection was worth the effort. A moment was the most you could ever expect from perfection."

SinXAzgard21

Borderlands 2 and I'm level 22 and currently doing all the side quests that have suddenly appeared...  Also waiting to use my gold key.

Sabby

I'd be playing mine, but PC ain't ready and the Xbox version crashes a LOT.

dready

Quote from: Brandon on September 19, 2012, 01:54:02 AM
See there are only 3 fist weapons in the game.

Upgrade the claws or the ceastus to +10 and take the soul of the iron golem to the blacksmith in anor londo. You'll find the specialty soul weapon that ranks A off of strength. I haven't put forth the effort to make it yet, but it's one of my goals since there's that feeling you can launch people with it's uppercut, unlike the ceastus.

Also, for my own PvP I've got a bastardsword/faith build that relies more so on magic shield and replenishment instead of wrath of the gods and heal. Of course I still use Force, but that's because if someone decides to hide amongst enemies I'm just going to chase and throw them around. That and the b. sword is rather pleasant for how fast it recovers post patch. u w u <3

Teo Torriatte

Quote from: Alixandre on September 20, 2012, 08:20:02 AM

Wut. I spent so much time on the first one. Gonna have to see if I can't figure out a way to get the new one. If my laptop will run it, that is.

Right now, though, I am playing Puzzle Quest 2.

Wolfy

Quote from: Lirliel on September 21, 2012, 01:05:31 PM
Yes... that turret... hmmm.. that delicious.. delicious turret.

So far I'm lvl.. 15 now I think, the only thing right now, so few missions.. really. I hope it picks up after. Met some nice 'interesting' characters though.

Lolled at the volleyball quest.

Also.. way .. way WAY to many call-outs to stuff I saw on 4chan. Like.. serious pandering.

Tiny Tina is going to be all over dat 4'chan.

Fo' Reelz!

SinXAzgard21

Quote from: Wolfy on September 22, 2012, 08:18:23 PM
Tiny Tina is going to be all over dat 4'chan.

Fo' Reelz!

Yeah she is, but she is the most bad ass npc in the game.  I will say I feel sorry for Mordecai and I will not say why.

Brandon

Quote from: dready on September 22, 2012, 05:10:04 AM
Upgrade the claws or the ceastus to +10 and take the soul of the iron golem to the blacksmith in anor londo. You'll find the specialty soul weapon that ranks A off of strength. I haven't put forth the effort to make it yet, but it's one of my goals since there's that feeling you can launch people with it's uppercut, unlike the ceastus.

Also, for my own PvP I've got a bastardsword/faith build that relies more so on magic shield and replenishment instead of wrath of the gods and heal. Of course I still use Force, but that's because if someone decides to hide amongst enemies I'm just going to chase and throw them around. That and the b. sword is rather pleasant for how fast it recovers post patch. u w u <3

Yes, its called the dragon bone first. What at least half that post was about and how I made a class that synergizes well with it and sorcery
Brandon: What makes him tick? - My on's and off's - My open games thread - My Away Thread
Limits: I do not, under any circumstances play out scenes involving M/M, non-con, or toilet play

dready

Quote from: Brandon on September 22, 2012, 11:46:14 PM
Yes, its called the dragon bone first. What at least half that post was about and how I made a class that synergizes well with it and sorcery
Balls I mistook that for the dark hand for some reason.

... Next time I'll try to have an idea on if I'm remembering things correctly.

NightRabbit

Persona 4 Arena, I'm actually liking it a lot. >.>

Hemingway

What time I have for gaming nowadays I divide between Sleeping Dogs, which is frickin' awesome, and recently some BF3 again. Armored Kill is out, and it's pretty good. I'm not one of those BF purists who thought vanilla BF3 was the end of the world - some of the maps there like Kharg Island and Operation Firestorm are still among my favorites - but this is pretty good. It's better than Close Quarters, anyway. CQ got really old, really fast. I don't think I've even finished a single round of that.

Wolfy

if you're anything like me, I know you were thinking "Man, what is this song from the Borderlands 2 Intro? it sounds really nice."

Well..fear not, Vault Hunters. Your search is over.

The Heavy - Short Change Hero

SinfulAngel

The new halo game... or well i will be sometime later today.

Updated Unicorn 1/24/17
      Active stories ~ 5  Post time frame 1-5 days

Wolfy

Quote from: SinfulAngel on September 24, 2012, 04:31:51 PM
The new halo game... or well i will be sometime later today.

????

New Halo game doesn't drop until November.

Oniya

Quote from: Wolfy on September 24, 2012, 04:45:46 PM
????

New Halo game doesn't drop until November.

Says the person who was crowing about the beta tests he was in...
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Hemingway

Hmm. I wonder when I can start bragging about the beta I was in ... still am in!

Oniya

I dunno - back in my day, we had non-disclosure agreements.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Hemingway

Wolfy

Blah. o3o I just can't wait until 2 am Central Time.

WoW Servers go live with mists of Pandaria. :3

Brandon

Quote from: Wolfy on September 24, 2012, 04:07:50 PM
if you're anything like me, I know you were thinking "Man, what is this song from the Borderlands 2 Intro? it sounds really nice."

Well..fear not, Vault Hunters. Your search is over.

The Heavy - Short Change Hero

Personally I like no rest for the wicked more
Brandon: What makes him tick? - My on's and off's - My open games thread - My Away Thread
Limits: I do not, under any circumstances play out scenes involving M/M, non-con, or toilet play

Brandon

Well I did it despite my misgivings. I downloaded the XCom enemy unknown Demo and played through it a few times. My initial reactions were just meh. The original XCom enemy unknown is quite possibly my favorite game of all time and without a doubt it is my most played game of all time so I went into this game with very high expectations. Its very similar to how people went into the prequels of Star Wars while the original movies had a place in their heart.

That said, I am not an average gamer to say whether XCom is good or not. Im far to biased by the very existence of the original Xcom enemy unknown.

Still I went in to this game trying to like it, I really did. I wanted it to be Xcom on a new engine and with better graphics but its not. That said I still want to talk about the stuff I liked and didnt like

The very first thing I noticed was that soldiers had classes which kind of made me raise an eyebrow about how well Firaxis understands what made Xcom so good. A class system by itself is not a bad thing but when compared with the last game where you could make anyone anything you wanted just by the equipment they carried makes it paradoxically an outdated mechanic. The fact that your special weapons are linked to classes instead of just the gear and equipment you carry is IMO a major step backwards. For example the heavy assault has a 1 use rocket launcher ability but in the original game I could pack a rocket launcher and 4 rockets, even more if I didnt mind my other soldiers packing extra ammo. So immediately I see the class system as at best outdated and makes me question if the game is going to turn into ability spamming later on rather then strategic tactical combat

The movement system while less stringent isnt bad at all, its just different. In some cases I like how it works but in many I dont. I cant move into a room, scout whats there, and then quickly run out while another soldier tosses a grenade inside or opens fire. The whole thing takes away the risk/reward ideas that were so thoroughly ingrained in the original game. Its just so...limiting. Although the idea of hunkering down, making the cover your using more effective then it otherwise would be, is an idea I really like.

The lack of an inventory is what really sealed the deal for me and made me start to feel a bit alienated as a die hard fan of Xcom. One of the major things about XCom was micromanaging inventory. You were the commander of an international defense agency and that meant proper management of everything from building bases to managing individual soldier loadouts.

The ground combat is ok. The problem I had with both missions was there was no tension. You didnt have shots from the dark or from a flank/behind coming out of nowhere which created a kind of tension and required greater tactical combat. In this new one it just seems like the aliens want to jump out into the light, stopping just before doing a little song and dance. Its possible that this was just a problem for the first missions so if the later missions of the actual games makes it so the aliens are flanking and ambushing you Ill be a lot happier.

Now with the base building I dislike the idea of only having one base which is what i think they were going for. I didnt notice a build additional bases option while playing the game but the fact that putting your base in different areas gives you different bonuses is an interesting one. Not only does it give some extra meta game potential it creates some interesting replayability and challenge options as well. However I have one major problem with it, you cant build a base in Antarctica. This is a double edged sword choice for design though. On one hand I like the idea of bonuses based around your continent of choice but on the other hand if youre building a certain way it screws with the freedom of putting your base anywhere.

The geoscape allows for your unit to search out missions and get certain bonuses from doing them. I like the idea of searching more then waiting for something to happen which is what happened in the original a lot.

So heres my problem with the whole game. Who is it for? Its not for me, a hardcore Xcom fan. Is it for new people to get involved in the franchise? I just dont get it I guess. They had a classic game with clear and well defined gameplay but they changed so many things that I find it similar but different enough that its not recognizably Xcom. Its more like an Xcom rip off. I think the game itself is mediocre at best but it doesnt change the fact that I am still disappointed by it and perhaps that was going to happen no matter what they did