Hogwarts Rebuilt (Almost ready to start)

Started by kckolbe, September 18, 2012, 09:51:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheHangedOne

A&A's and O&O's *Status: Here and there | Games: Aiming for punctuality*
"In prosperity, our friends know us; in adversity, we know our friends."
"In the ocean of knowledge, only those who want to learn will see the land."
"Before you roar, please take a deep breath."
Check out my poet tree!

BetaBonk

While I carry the dim view of Slytherin house as taught me by the books, I must agree that Hufflepuff v. Slytherin makes for a far better dynamic than Hufflepuff v. Ravenclaw.

Of my characters, Danner seems spot on for Hufflepuff, but Daria could go either way... her blood status would work well in Slytherin but she might be scored down by her lack of subterfuge  :-) (perhaps if she winds up in Slytherin I can add 'Insubordinate' to help her fit in  XD )

kckolbe

"You know, I sometimes think we Sort too soon." -Albus Dumbledore.

An amazing quote from Deathly Hallows, and hands down the best defense against concerns of a char not fitting a House.  Maybe Daria's family had been Slytherin, or a childhood friend.  Being a kid, she wanted Slytherin because it was expected.

I will say that you will be seeing a different kind of Slytherin dynamic.  The first character I worked on was a Slytherin antagonist, someone that could be respected and hated and occasionally admired.  I wanted Bill Fucking Cutting in wizard robes, and I am happy with how he turned out.  Remember that Slytherin at the time was a product of Voldemort.  Carrying the party line of pure blood supremacy was required, and even the ones who didn't agree or who weren't pure bloods knew better than to speak out against it.  Also, Slytherin was written to be the antagonist to the hero House of Gryffindor.  In this game, Gryffindor is not as significant, so Slytherin does not have to run contrary to them.

Hope that helps.
Ons/Offs  A/A  Oath of the Drake
(From the Penis Game) Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Penis
I love a wet nymph.  "Letting some guy have [her] just to have another woman is a losing trade"

Buffy: The Vampire Slayer(IC#2)
Intro Thread

Photo

second character is coming today. I will make it a female for the games sake, Vexa's older sister, her name will be Gilda.

AGE ADJUSTMENTS
Vexa- 18 - 3rd year -hufflepuff
Gilda -21- 5th year -slytherin

Each of them have five generations of pure blood on their mothers side, and fifteen generations of pure blood on their father's side.

does all of that sound good?
Apologies and Absences

MIA MIA MIA MIA MIA MIA

kckolbe

The ages are a bit high.  If they both started at 14-15, then a 3rd year would be 16-17 and a 5th year 18-19.
(From the Penis Game) Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Penis
I love a wet nymph.  "Letting some guy have [her] just to have another woman is a losing trade"

Intro Thread

Photo

oh, ok. That's fine.

Vexa will be 17 and Gilda will be 19 then
Apologies and Absences

MIA MIA MIA MIA MIA MIA

Photo

Name: Gilda Joy Gaudia

Sexuality: bi-sexual

Height: 5'7

Weight: 134

Build: Gilda is in solid shape. Much less petite than her sister, Gilda is shaped more like a woman. She's taller, and her hips are wider than most girls her age. She holds herself high, and very much like that of a fine gentleman. She'll grow taller in the coming years, and thin out, for now, she has yet to completely grow into herself.

Eyes: nearly black

Hair: dark brown

Appearance: Gilda wears fine clothes, and she dresses her hair extensively every morning. Her shadow seems to glow in colour, and her laugh is more physical than it is aural. She has baby fat on her face, her legs, arms, and stomach, but it's not noticeable unless she's in an unassuming pose. She is regal and intimidating, pretty, but not gorgeous, Gilda is a classic beauty. But, she typically has a disapproving glare glued to her brow.

House: the opposite of Vexa. Probably Ravenclaw or Slytherin

Year: 5

Wand: Narrow: Your wand is long and thin, perhaps slightly frail.  +1 rays, -1 fighting

Personality: Gilda is proper, refined, careful with her word chose and considerably more respectful than her other peers. Her family is known for their cunning, and their royal sense of character. There is a genuine charisma about Gilda, she's difficult to disagree with, and easy to follow. However, she's spent all of her time on social prowess and quidditch practice, so she is actually very foolish and naive about almost everything. Her wise voice is only a show that hides the stupid little girl inside.

History: mostly here to adjust Vexa's and clear things up, since they share a very similar background (same family). Vexa has one older sister, and no brothers. Gilda has one younger sister, and no brothers. Growing up, it was easy for their parents to favour Gilda, for even while Vexa was a baby, she was mostly concerned with her own business, and didn't crave a lot of attention, nor did her parents give her any attention. Gilda was the hero of the family, and always the favourite.

Numbers

Agility 3 Fly 1B Acrobatics 1B
Animal Handling 2
Athletics 3
Awareness 2
Cunning 3
Deception 2
Endurance 2
Fighting 2
Knowledge 2
Magical Expertise 3
Magical Projection  2
Magical Studies 2
Marksmanship 3 Rays 1B
Persuasion 4
Reflexes 3
Status 5 Bureaucracy 1B Reputation1B
Stealth 2
Will 3 Discipline 1B

Advantages
Cohort: One student is created to assist this character (I can use Vexa if Kckolbe lets me, or I can make a 3rd character, one that's basically an NPC)
Cadre: Ten students follow Gilda around like puppies
Acrobatic Defense: Prerequisite Agility 3 (Acrobatics 1B). Lesser action to add Acrobatics to Combat Defense.

Disadvanteges
Naive, and doesn't know that she is naive, making her extra naive.

Derived Stats
Intrigue Defense=8
Composure= 9
Combat Defense=6
Health= 6
Damage= I simply don't know anymore. help.

Passive Resistance=8 + Fortitude OR 12 + Discipline,physical or mental
Movement= 4yards + (Run/2)
Sprint= Movement x4

pictures, NSFwork.or.iguess

Apologies and Absences

MIA MIA MIA MIA MIA MIA

kckolbe

Damn she is beautiful.  I loved Girl Next Door.  And yeah, Photo, that does suck.

Intro Thread

Photo

girl next door? is that Elisha cuthbert with brown hair?
Apologies and Absences

MIA MIA MIA MIA MIA MIA

kckolbe

It looks like her to me.  So, we are at 8 PCs so far, 9 once you are done.  Two more are in the works from other players, one of which is almost done.  Thank you.  This is more than double the characters I had in the last attempt at this, and it gives me the ability to play Hogwarts the way I wanted Harry Potter to be, with everything happening to different people, and I am really looking forward to it. 

I have about the nine or so NPCs that I intend to have of some presence, which will further fill out the Houses.  I do have one very important question about the NPCs, though.  Right now I have some major NPCs in the PC Houses.  The plus to this is that plot hooks delivered from those characters will be a touch more convenient, and it should help fuel the rivalry between the PC Houses.  The downside to this is that they may overshadow their PC teammates at times. 

Additionally, I could have the major ones in the NPC Houses, which would "balance the load" a bit and give the PCs more opportunities as well as allowing all PCs to experience the joy of having these characters as rivals.  It also makes it so that interesting characters are coming out of all four Houses.  On the downside, I did notice on the last attempt that no one seemed to care about what went on "in the background," and I worry that a potentially great source of story would be wasted.  Additionally, if we did separate the PCs and major NPCs, I would have to ask that the PC Houses be Hufflepuff and Ravenclaw.

PLEASE let me know how you feel on this.  It is, obviously, quite important.

Intro Thread

TheHangedOne

Hmm.  Well, why not stick 1-3 NPCs in each of the player houses, and then divvy up the rest amongst the other two houses as filler?
Check out my poet tree!

kckolbe

There will be NPCs in every House.  My question was how you feel about which Houses the *major* ones are in. 

Intro Thread

TheHangedOne

In that case, I honestly have no strong opinions on this particular matter.
Check out my poet tree!

BetaBonk

I'm just guessing here... but I do feel that the action should concentrate on what's going on between the PC houses.  It would be very nice for there to be some important NPCs in the other two houses that we would have to interact with occasionally -- it would feel a little weird to ignore them entirely  :-)

But concentrating on a two-house contest should serve the plot better.  As for the PCs being overshadowed, perhaps that can be taken care of with some timely contrivances like a sudden injury taking out a key character for a few days, that sort of thing.

Photo

very smart, betabonk, on every account. :)

I also don't have much of a preference with this issue, but I can +1 to what Beta said. Being overshadowed can make a player feel unimportant. My second character sheet will likely be up tonight, I'm less frustrated now.
Apologies and Absences

MIA MIA MIA MIA MIA MIA

AribethAmkiir

Ok, finally read through all of this.

KC, the "ignoring stuff in the background" wasn't so much people ignoring it as there was a scene concerning a single player that really ignored everyone else and then something important happened in that scene.  Plus, it was outside when everyone else was inside.  At the time, it really seemed like it had nothing to do with any other character and even if a character inside Hogwarts' castle wanted to react, it was debatable as to whether that would be meta-gaming.

So, the PC Houses are Ravenclaw and Hufflepuff?    :-\   I thought there was talk about Slytherin earlier?

Also, are we all doing sixth year students or is it going to be all over the place again.  Sure 9 PCs seems like a lot, but not if it's all split up like it was last time.

Kdyami

Ok so sorry this has taken forever to finish.  But here it goes:

Character Sheet

Name: Xavril (Zave-Rill)

Sexuality: Bi-Curious

Height: 6’2”

Weight: 250

Build: at 250lbs Xavril has been trained and excersized his entire life to accompany the grueling martial arts training his father put him through.   He is overly athletic but no bulging muscles belying his athletic appearance.

Eyes: one blue one white

Hair: blonde

Appearance: Xavril always carries the sword his mother gave him, often worn transfigured as a necklace around his neck. He refuses to hide the scars nor undergo surgery to remove them. They are his reminder not to take life for granted. He typically wears loose fitting clothes both for ease of movement and to hide his athletic form. He is totally unflustered by people staring at his scars yet he becomes super shy when people notice his body, be it working out in the gym or at a sporting event.

Wolf Form:  In his wolf form He retains his Heterochromia but his hair turns black with a white chest and paws

House: Slytherin

Year: 6th

Classes: potions, transfiguration, defense against the dark arts, charms, herbology, electives: weapon training, advanced dueling. 

Wand: Stout.  The remains of his mothers wand as well as his very own wand: yew and Boomslang Venom

Personality: Xavril trains constantly and not just his martial arts. He that through hard work he is able to achieve anything. He is mild mannered and indifferent to the drama of everyday life. He is always available to help other students with learning concepts and homework. He tries to work hard and stick to himself except during approved school competitions or class or the rare occasion he becomes involved in a "schoolyard" fight.  In those situations all bets are off. He is going to prove that someone with no prior knowledge of the wizarding world can become a true force to be feared.  Xavril is taking all his classes with the express purpose of being a Wizard Bounty Hunter of sorts, and Auror.  Be it beast, magical conjuration, mechanical creation, or dark wizard; Xavril is training to fight them wherever he finds them.

History: Xavril was born in America to two loving parents. His father was a martial artist who traveled the world performing and teaching. His mother was a witch. However his mother never told any of the family she was a witch.

As such Xavril grew up traveling with his parents, being homeschooled by his mother and trained in martial arts by his father. As such there was very little chance for magical aptitude to shine, maybe that was his mother’s intention, but never the less Xavril learned the value of hard work and discipline towards his goals.

One day they were coming home from an exhibition when their plane crashed high in the mountains killing almost everyone aboard including Xavril's father. Of those that managed too live some died from the elements or pre existing injury, others were picked off by the local pack of wolves. Xavril managed to survive with a broken leg and his mother in the seat next to him wasn't so lucky. She had survived the crash but needed nigh immediate surgery for a pierced lung, that she was never going to receive. Clawing at her bag she finds her nearly broken wand and manages to mend Xavril's leg. Notably shaken he freaks out telling her to fix herself, to get them out of there but she can't her wand is broken and even if it wasn't she's nearly out of magic, having not practiced and being very near death. She makes one last effort and pulls a pen knife from her purse. She takes these two items and with the help of whatever magic she has left she blends the wand into the knife making a weapon for her son to use. And with that last effort she dies in the crashed plane.

Xavril stays in the plane just long enough for his grief to abate because he knows the wolves will be drawn to the crash site. He makes his way into the trees and tries to find shelter. Along the way he has to fight through a pack of angry wolves. They surround him attacking from all sides scaring much of the left side of his face, neck and upper torso. But Xavril gives as good as he gets winding several with his new sword and finally killing one. The pack seeing the kill back off to keep him surrounded but let him move through the forest. Eventually Xavril finds a cave and hides inside.

For three days Xavril sits eating pieces of the wolf he killed and drinking melted snow but he knows it can't last. One night sitting by the fire forcing himself to stay awake he has what he believes is a hallucination and talks to his sword which answers in his mother’s voice. The sword tells him to think like a wolf. Xavril laughed and decided why not. So he thought about a wolf in his position and He dreams himself as a wolf running off with the pack, hunting, and running towards the light of a small village. Xavril awakes in the morning startled to find he is a real wolf; fur, teeth, paws, four legs, tail, real wolf. He runs into town and to his surprise he runs headlong into his uncle, his mothers brother. Laughing at the antics of the dog Xavril's uncle turned suddenly seriously somber upon seeing the collar around its neck; a simple leather binding he had made for Xavril a few years past.  Looking into Xavril's eyes he asks one question: Xavril? Xavril nods his furry head slowly. Laughing Xavril's uncle clapped his hands explaining how he had come to look for the plane since everyone had feared the worst and Xavril wasn't found at the crash site with his parents. Xavril's uncle led him through the town of hogsmead up through the gates of Hogwarts into the great hall where breakfast was just getting underway. Walking up to the headmaster he said "I know this is unusual headmaster but since it’s the first week of school might I enroll one more student?"  Chuckling the headmaster replies "I suppose you might but I don't see any students with you."  Chucking the uncle asks the transfiguration master to disenchant the wolf behind him. Confused but obliging he casts the spell and when the clouds of fur stopped falling the whole room gasped to see Xavril standing where the wolf had been, sword and all sheathed across his back. The headmaster was astonished that an untrained student had managed to transfigure themselves by accident. As such he sent Xavril and his uncle to go buy his things and return him by dinner and they would sort and enroll Xavril the very next day.

Familiar: no familiar as such. A great horned owl for mail. And a pack of wolves that will aid "one of their own" if Xavril calls as a wolf.]

Numbers

Agility 4 Acrobatics 1B
Animal Handling 2
Athletics 3
Awareness 2
Cunning 3
Deception 2
Endurance 3
Fighting 4 Long Blade 1B
Knowledge 2
Magical Expertise 3 Transfiguration 2B
Magical Projection  3 transfiguration 1B
Magical Studies 3
Marksmanship 3
Persuasion 2
Reflexes 4 dodge 1B quickness 1B
Status 2
Stealth 3 slight of hand 1B
Will 2

Advantages
Animagus – Wolf
Fast
Night Eyes

Disadvanteges
Marked – Scares from a wolf attack

Derived Stats
Intrigue Defense=5
Composure= 6
Combat Defense=7
Health= 9
Damage= 3 armed (long blade), 1 for unarmed.  Large, two-handed weapons do 4

(Dont know where to get discipline and fortitude or run scores from)
Passive Resistance=12 + Fortitude OR 8 + Discipline,physical or mental
Movement= 4yards + (Run/2)
Sprint= Movement x4
[/spoilers]
Hey all I'm property of the U.S government and as such I may randomly disappear for a day or two.  I apologize in advance but I'll get back to you ASAP

kckolbe

Well, BB made points for both options, really.  As far as what AA said, I was referring to the scenes in the Great Hall.  Whenever I posted actions from another table, there was no reaction in or out of character, so I felt like they just weren't interesting the players.

As for what year everyone will be in, I hope to consolidate into 2-3 groups.  I definitely understand the issue of spreading them too thin.

Intro Thread

Photo

one of my posts on this page has been updated with Gilda Gaudia's character information, at one time it only had pictures and a frustrating bit from me, now it's pure character sheet.

On a note: I'd rather just use Vexa as her Cohort, as Vexa will rarely ever want to actually help her anyway. So it's not much of an advantage, kind of an emergency button if things get crazy for both of them. They are able to set their differences aside.
Apologies and Absences

MIA MIA MIA MIA MIA MIA

kckolbe

Okay, I decided that the major NPCs will be in separate Houses than the PCs.  While this might have a small effect on plot hooks, I think that given the social focus of the group that might be less an issue.  Besides, it's important to me that the PCs have strong, memorable rivals, and I, as a player, would much rather be defeated by an NPC than win because of one.

Intro Thread

kckolbe

Sorry for the double post, but I have a first draft of where I was thinking of putting everyone.  Here goes, and let me know what you think.

Hufflepuff:
Alphonse (HangedMan)
Danner (BetaBonk) (T)
Charlize (JaneStorm) (T)
Basil (JaneStorm) (Q-Beater)
Vexa (Photo) (Q-Seeker) (T)
Lily (Q-Chaser) (T)

Slytherin
Gustav (HangedMan) (T)(P)
Daria (BB) (Q-Chaser)(T)
Xavril (Kdyami) (Q-?)(T)
Gilda (Photo) (Q-?)(T)(P?)

Q is for characters I think will be on the Quidditch team, with the position I think they will play if known.  T is for the characters I am expecting will compete in a tournament I have planned.  P is for prefect.  While I didn't want to give away who would likely be picked, I decided it was best to show you so you can get an idea of who will be involved in what.  Since Hufflepuff is a little heavier on players, not everyone will compete.  Everyone's primary character is competing, and Alphonse is currently the only one a touch left out from any form of competition.  I can promise a character-specific adventure, though, to make up for that a little bit.

Hopefully this helps a little and is close enough to what everyone wanted.

Intro Thread

BetaBonk

Looks good to me... will you be sorting the characters into school-years as well?  Or should we just pick one?

Kdyami

Ok, I'm good with Slytherin, updated profile will be forth coming.  And Q-Chaser please. ^_^
Hey all I'm property of the U.S government and as such I may randomly disappear for a day or two.  I apologize in advance but I'll get back to you ASAP

TheHangedOne

I love the selection. And it's cool with Alphonse, he is something of a loner type.
Check out my poet tree!

kckolbe

I'm thinking of how to do that still.  I think that the less number of years used, the easier things will be on me since I plan on using class scenes.  I like years 3, 4, and 6, since they are devoid of OWLs (5th) and NEWTS (7th).  My current thought is to have students be 3rd and 6th or 4th and 6th.

Kdyami, I've got you listed as one of two Chasers.  Gilda will likely be a Keeper or Seeker.

Intro Thread