Steffy's Magic Shop

Started by Steffy, July 04, 2018, 09:49:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jaclyn

In GIMP and I assume Photoshop, Layers become important. Pasting a new thing into a picture needs to be Pasted as a New Layer so it can be resized separately from what it is pasted over. This is why I use PowerPoint, feels more comfortable to do these simpler things there.

Amelita

Photoshop automatically makes it into a new layer when you add it. Powerpoint uses layers too, only it's embedded in the coding and not accessible or managable ;) But again, it's a jungle if you're not used to it.

RP Etiquette ~ Tumblr ~ Mumbler
~ There is nothing to writing; all you do is sit down at a typewriter and bleed ~
Ons & Offs ~ Post Tracker ~ Ladies in Red

Courtney

Click to the break bottle
and see what appears!

Been playing around with some coding trying to figure out the above trick, and I finally figured it out! I know this has been talked about, but I'm not 100% sure anyone has posted it here. Basically what this does is, it displays one image, and when you click on it, links you to another. I've seen it done with gift boxes, which then link you to the image of the gift. If this has been shown, apologies. Otherwise, here's the code:

[center][url=https://www.mediafire.com/convkey/2584/ps13af90z25j42j6g.jpg][img height=200]https://www.mediafire.com/convkey/3b4e/6rmw9160axk8qj66g.jpg[/img][/url][br]Click to break bottle and see some[br]what appears![/center]

The first link is the link to the image that gets revealed, and the second link being the image displayed above. Enjoy!

P. S.  Still trying to figure out how Steffy got me in the bottle in the first place!

Steffy

Abracadabra Steffy

Courtney: I award thee :

Ames and Jaclyn: I award thee:

Very Cool Divers Award (not just Cracker Jacks)

*** Commentary: Now that I know I can get Courtney in a bottle,
she’d best be very, very good!  Or quickly evading. 
Ames and Jaclyn get the Very Cool Award which is one way of inserting a note about  the great Thai diver rescue story.***

Kit Cat

Quote from: Steffy on July 12, 2018, 02:32:35 PM

Abracadabra Steffy

Courtney: I award thee:

Ames and Jaclyn: I award thee:

Very Cool Divers Award (not just Cracker Jacks)

*** Commentary: Now that I know I can get Courtney in a bottle,
she’d best be very, very good!  Or quickly evading. 
Ames and Jaclyn get the Very Cool Award which is one way of inserting a note about  the great Thai diver rescue story.***

Nice Thai in

Steffy

HELP!!!!!!

I just saw a post from our friend Mackenzie who was asking about Ons and Offs which is something I’ve been wondering about.  That ties in with my next step—a signature.  Focusing on signature construction first. 

My idea is to have three eventual locations: the Magic Shop, Just Ask (o/o) and the CGDA.  (I’ll put something together for a location for the CGDA, but don’t have one yet).

I sent this over Flower’s way:
                                                                                              YOU CAN ASK, BUT . . .

• Steffy’s Magic Shop                                                        • Just Ask! (Offs & Ons)                           • Cute Girl Detective Agency (CGDA)

Just Ask logo                             

She sent this back.  (She’s out and I think busy with lots of folk.  But I’m not good enough to get through the coding).

Flower’s had the i.d.s mismatched which is not contained in her send back (edited out by me) but no big deal.

What I’d like to do is have everything line up in the center like Flower has it.  As an alternative I’m not sure if it makes sense to have the three icons bunched in the middle or apart.  Also, maybe have the URL on the name, not the pic.  Suggestions?

Courtney

Magic shop          On's/Off's         CGDA

Magic shop                                                                            On's/Off's                                                                         CGDA

There's a couple of quickie ideas for you. The pictures aren't linked to anything in either example, and obviously you'll have to change the links when you you get you O/O ready, and the CDGA office thread going. Not sure if it's what you had in mind though.

Edit: gotta fix the text spacing, (or do it the correct way), but you get the idea

Amelita

The text in the images becomes so tiny when they're resized to fit as a signature, you can't tell what it says. So, having titles with links in them is probably a good idea.

So, if I understand correctly that is all you want to actually change from what you have there? Or do you want the pictures closer together in the center?

Cute Girl Detective Agency

Ons and Offs

Ons & Offs

Cute Girl Detective Agency

...Courtney on it. Well I'll post it anyhoo.

~ There is nothing to writing; all you do is sit down at a typewriter and bleed ~

Jaclyn

Signatures. Here's mine for reference followed by the code. Couple of things. Floats left and right. Images all stashed local in the Elliquiy Wikii. This is where Steffy's Cracker Jack's would go if I liked those things. Note that the rule here at Elliquiy is that all images in signatures and avatars must be uploaded to the Elluiki using the Upload file link.

[float=left][url=https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=264702.0][img]https://elliquiy.com/elluiki/images/3/32/PromptSigRoyalBlue.png[/img][/url][/float][float=right][url=https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=290221.msg14254004#msg14254004][img width=100 height=100]https://elliquiy.com/elluiki/images/a/ad/FromSteffy.png[/img][img height=100]https://elliquiy.com/elluiki/images/archive/f/fc/20180709222241%21Hat.png[/img][/url][/float][center][url=https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=289408.0][img height=70]https://elliquiy.com/elluiki/images/6/64/OO1806.png[/img][/url][/center]

Jaclyn

Is there a way here to display tags other than via the code tags? Using Drupal as we did at LiL, I could display the code for abbr by entering [ for [ followed by abbr and ending with ] for ]. Those strings beginning &# and ending with ; are the quite legitimate HTML codes  for those bracket characters. Any way to do these character here?

Amelita

I don't believe so.

I've seen people just add an asterix to the code to "deactivate it", with a note to remove them when the code is used.

[*font=georgia]Like so[*/font].

Jaclyn

Thanks Ames, and then I found how to do what I want to be able to do, the nobbc tag. [abbr="meaning string"]abbreviation[/abbr]

[nobbc][abbr="meaning string"]abbreviation[/abbr][/nobbc]

Steffy

Teacher who looks like Steffy
Quote from: Amelita on July 13, 2018, 03:49:52 PM
I've seen people just add an asterix to the code to "deactivate it", with a note to remove them when the code is used. -- [*font=georgia]Like so[*/font].

I've done the * trick.  Perhaps that's some indication that I have a teensy bit of natural geeking.  (Smile).

BUT the big question is whether everyone clicked on Courtney's genie award.  (The lesson being that when visiting, make sure you avail yourself of all treats.) Anyone raising their hand to get spanked?  The requirement is that you truly did not click on the genie.  I'm serious!  (Giggle).

P.s. Scratch the hope I had some inner stuff on tech.  Jaclyn's last which I saw right after posting just caused me to think 'huh?'

Amelita

Ooooooh!!

[font=georgia]This should be georgia font but it's not, because magic![/font]

That's great!

Jaclyn

Peripherie

* Peripherie peeks in.

Hope I'm not intruiding. I have been stalking watching this thread for a bit and have learned a lot of forum tricks that I have never known! (And I've laughed a bit too.  :D)

I'm not sure if it has been mentioned yet but another magical wand of sorts is Ssieth's Greasemonkey script add-on. Like the best kind of magic tricks, I don't pretend to understand how it all works but she has added many different options to the E interface. If you haven't yet, check it out - https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=230790.0.
"Clouds come floating into my life, no longer to carry rain or usher
storm, but to add color to my sunset sky." - Rabindranath Tagore

Amelita

https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=109739.0 <-this is also a nice source for E's BBCode

Hi Peri :)

I <3 the Greasemonkey add on

Peripherie

*waves hi to Ame* Love your current avatar btw.

I probably don't use half of its capabilities but I love it too, especially the snippet feature. It helps me so much with coding things within the E window itself. I use it for images, favorite fonts, and post headers.

Amelita

Hah, thank you! I was in a butt mood :P

And yes. My fav part is the snippets. So convenient. That, and being able to make bookmark categories!

Peripherie

Quote from: Amelita on July 13, 2018, 04:49:38 PM

And yes. My fav part is the snippets. So convenient. That, and being able to make bookmark categories!

OMG, yes to the Boomarks! And the Quick Topics as well, which is a second form of Bookmarking. Really, it is made of win!

Steffy

I’m bedazzled, hmm
Yooo Adrian!*  This is so cool!  It was found while googling to figure out how to stitch pictures together.  I’m using it to get my Ons/Offs going.

It’s free!  And here are the two pics I stitched together:

Photo Joiner

* I don’t know why I started a Rocky thing to announce this, but whatever!

Jaclyn

Nice! You know you can do that by putting two images right next to each other. [img]first image[/img][img]second image[/img]. Do or don't use padding, maybe use height to ensure they're both the same height. In my siggy posted above, the two right images are still separate pictures yet plunked right next to each other and together form a single hyperlink.

Courtney

QuoteBUT the big question is whether everyone clicked on Courtney's genie award.  (The lesson being that when visiting, make sure you avail yourself of all treats.) Anyone raising their hand to get spanked?  The requirement is that you truly did not click on the genie.  I'm serious!  (Giggle).

*raising my hand*

"I clicked on it!. But then, I guess I was supposed to huh? No spanking for me." *pout* "Wait, how are you supposed to spank me when you put me back in the bottle anyway?!" *super pout*

Steffy

So I don't really know why I was reminded of this, but maybe it was Penn and/or Teller not wandering through the Shop the other day.  They did not ask about our trickery and they did not seem smug about themselves.  When they didn't walk in, they wanted to know if they could get autographs and I didn't say okay.  Despite all that not occurring, I thought you might be interested in their magic ball trick.

There's a whole story about how Penn was not in favor, but Teller worked and worked on it.  I've used YouTube coding which is minnie-ish magic.-- [*youtube][*/youtube]

Kit Cat

Magic Shop Poet Cat
Minnie is good, for a rat
But nothing can beat magic cat!
For you tube vids on E!
An easier way there may be.

No need for coding in this case
A simple copy, and then paste.
Take your link and put it in reply
And it will work don’t ask me why!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GwjfUFyY6M