The Githoran Arenas - sexy-yet-bloody gladiator combat

Started by Sethala, June 03, 2012, 10:21:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sethala

Character/Pairings Thread
OOC Thread

Hey all, and welcome to my game thread.  This is something I had been planning between myself and Tiaan a while back, she's currently unable to GM it but gave me permission to start up the game using the rules she came up with.

The idea is simple: a series of short, one-on-one arena fights.  There is a system in use, but it's very simple and rules-light; I'll get to it in a moment.  The catch is that the game doesn't end right when one player "wins", instead the fight enters a Mortal Kombat-style fatality mode, where the winner is free to do whatever brutal things they want to the loser.  Of course, expect the fight to be pretty brutal and bloody all throughout.

To keep the game running smoothly, I'm going to set up a character thread.  Once a few characters are posted, I'll pair them up and assign them to the individual arena threads.  Of course, you don't have to wait for me to get things going; if you can find someone that wants to fight you, you can start up a fight in any unused arena thread.

The setting for the game will be a medieval, D&D-style fantasy world, with a lot of magic.  The arenas will all have an illusionary screen showing the battles close up, sometimes even going for the slo-mo instant replay.  Of course, the arenas themselves will be trapped - expect plants that will snap out and bite the fighters, spiked pits that open up when someone takes a wrong step, maybe even a trip wire that makes the nearby statue send a fireball at the unlucky fighter.

The fighters themselves can be just about whatever you can think of.  I do request that if you want me to pair you up, keep them mostly human (elves, dwarves, catgirls, and the like are all fine, but part-beast characters like nagas, or full animals, need someone that wants to fight you specifically), but beyond that, anything goes.

A quick word on the game's "rating", however: the idea is that these are going to be very bloody and very messy.  Your character is free to show mercy if they want and let the opponent live, but don't expect anyone else to extend the same mercy.  On that note, the game's setting does have magical healing and even resurrection available, and while the clerics won't interfere in the fights themselves, feel free to use the same character again even if they've been killed off.

Alright, enough about that, time for the game rules:

Rules
Each fighter starts with 5 HP by default.  Fighters are free to declare a "handicap" by giving either side more or less HP, but any changes must be agreed by both players.

Fighters take turns, with the first attacker being chosen randomly.  On a fighter's turn, the player rolls 1d20 for himself, and 1d20 for his opponent.  If the attacker's roll is equal to or higher than the defender's, the attack hits and the defender loses 1 HP.  If the attacker rolls a 20, the attack is a critical and the defender loses 2 HP.  If the attacker rolls a 5 or less, they spring a trap by mistake; the attack is an automatic miss (even if the defender's roll is lower), and the attacker loses 1 HP.  If the attacker rolls a 1, it's a critical failure - not only do they lose 1 HP from setting off a trap, but the defender has a chance to recover and gain 1 HP.

The attack rolls are mostly a guideline to fighting, however.  A normal hit can be a punch or kick, or a flesh wound to a non-vital area.  A critical could be a more damaging hit; broken bones, severed arteries, and so on.  Similarly, traps can be whatever you can think of.

As a last note, the following threads are some of Tiaan's games (note that the system was slightly modified after those games).  Feel free to read through them to get a feel for the game.

Hiyo vs Cirnelle
Erika vs Fennel
Riza vs The Twins
Kia vs Mistress Ilvatha
Enzo vs Aella

elfguy

I've always tried to find partners for this type of RP because I like this plot a lot, but it seems hard to find, so color me interested for sure. I can play either dominant (winning) or sub (losing) girls, and usually it ends with forced sex and a lot of pain!
----

AurelieCatena

I'm going to follow this thread attentively. I might very well be interested to come up with a fighter, some girl similar to Red Sonja. I would like to see quite a bit of bondage and devices involved in my fights.

elfguy

Quote from: AurelieCatena on June 04, 2012, 02:14:09 AM
I'm going to follow this thread attentively. I might very well be interested to come up with a fighter, some girl similar to Red Sonja. I would like to see quite a bit of bondage and devices involved in my fights.

That's the sort of thing I've done before in the arena, so we would pair well together I think.
----

Sethala

And a character sheet thread is up: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=142188.0

For now, I'm going to limit everyone to two active characters at a time; I might open that up more as things get moving.  If you want, once you post your character you can find an opponent yourself, or once we get a few characters posted I'll pair everyone up.

Again, to keep things simple for me, if you want me to pair you up, characters should be mostly humanoid (fantasy demi-human races are allowed, of course).  There's no limits on what your character can be if you can find an opponent willing to fight it yourself, however.  If you're not sure, go ahead and post it and I'll tell you if it's not something I can pair up easily.

Terian

Wouldn't mind giving Aella another shot, that whole fight was entertaining, but showed off a few glitches with the old system (That being, fights had a tendency of either ending really fast, or taking forever).

Ironwolf85

might bring one of my duzons of guys and gals to play.
hmmm maybe a constructed humanoid?
Prudence, justice, temperance, courage, faith, hope, love...
debate any other aspect of my faith these are the heavenly virtues. this flawed mortal is going to try to adhere to them.

Culture: the ability to carve an intricate and beautiful bowl from the skull of a fallen enemy.
Civilization: the ability to put that psycho in prision for killing people.

Sethala

Quote from: Terian on June 05, 2012, 11:49:02 AM
Wouldn't mind giving Aella another shot, that whole fight was entertaining, but showed off a few glitches with the old system (That being, fights had a tendency of either ending really fast, or taking forever).

Yeah, we decided mid-fight that traps should be making the fight go faster, not slower, and it seemed to work pretty well.  It might mean that fights go too fast now however, so once I see how a few fights go I might change the starting HP.

By the way, feel free to keep the same continuity for Aella (i.e. she died and was resurrected after the last fight), if you want; the same goes for everyone else that has a character killed off.

Quote from: Ironwolf85 on June 05, 2012, 08:35:23 PM
might bring one of my duzons of guys and gals to play.
hmmm maybe a constructed humanoid?

I'm a bit hesitant to allow a fully "artificial" character into the normal pairings.  Again, you're free to find an opponent on your own, but I don't think I want to force someone to fight a construct instead of a normal person.

Ironwolf85

oh I'm musing over created characters from Vulpae an undead human knight in silver armor (dies as normal, just reappears where he's tethered after dying simmilar to a ghost or ghiest.) to cuddly anthro barbarians and stoic warforged Priests, to various other dementional horrors especally a tough customer from a silent hill esque rp.

I think I'll throw Vulpae into the ring first, he's normal save his reincarnation after battle, and inability to tire out.
Then maybe Aries, a construct made of wax (being closer to human flesh than steel or wood) who uses unarmed attacks and no armor.
debate any other aspect of my faith these are the heavenly virtues. this flawed mortal is going to try to adhere to them.

Culture: the ability to carve an intricate and beautiful bowl from the skull of a fallen enemy.

Sethala

I think I'll give people another day or so to post characters, then I'll start some fights.  If there's an odd number, I'll make a second character to toss in and keep things even.

Sethala

I just wanted to let everyone know that we've started the first round of fights, but everyone's still welcome to come in and post characters.  You can also post more than one if you like.  Links to the character and OOC threads are above, and links to the individual fight threads are in the character thread.

Revenent

I'd be good for a character or two. If it's alright with you, I can think up one tomorrow.

Ironwolf85

Sethala

Sounds good, Rev.  Also, everyone's free to come up with new characters even while the current fights are going on; we've got plenty of room for more.

Revenent

Should I post my character here, or PM it to you for approval?

Sethala

Sethala

Just a quick bump to say that a few fights are underway, with more being planned.  We could still use more players however, so feel free to come up with whatever medieval-era character you can think of and throw them into the arena.

AKunoichi

I know I ignored this thread earlier dispute being in an earlier match, but I think I'll have a go at it now, can I post a character?

Sethala

Sure thing.  I don't think anyone's waiting on a fight at the moment, but we've got two about to wrap up.

Thrasius

Very interested. Is it too late to make a character?  ???

Sethala

Sure thing!  Just hop over to the character thread and post something.