A small sampling of potential stories

Started by ThesaurusTrash, April 01, 2014, 06:44:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ThesaurusTrash

MODERN
Urban teen (though age is flexible) ninja Chance is a superhero in the gritty, realistic sense. (Think a noir Kick-Ass.) Cleaning up the streets of fictional Newport City has its consequences as he crosses a dangerous criminal cabal. Though he emerges from the trials victorious, the City becomes too hot and dangerous for him to remain. Fortunately, his internet penpal and unrequited love has extended an invitation for him to come and live with her... but, can Chance adapt to a normal life? (Love interest can play a "Mary Jane" role, or could be more of a "Catwoman to his Batman".)

URBAN FANTASY
The product of a vampire hunting father and an outright witch of a mother, Terry Westfall never had a chance at a normal life. Unlike his siblings, who embraced their background, Terry grew up to be something of a sanctioned, legal assassin of the supernatural and occasional detective specializing in the weird. But, Terry isn't strictly human himself, nor has he come to grips with his own preternatural reality.

POST APOCALYPSE
Zombies have been done-to-death but I'll consider them on a case-by-case basis. That said, my favorite apocalypse scenarios are robots, aliens, and my Murphy's Law scenario. Murphy's Law states that anything that can go wrong, will! Cataclysmic weather patterns and seismic activity ravage the globe, creating a crisis that governments can only respond to with aggression. War depletes the resources of the world just as an apocalyptic plague (zombies? Super flu?) decimates the world population. In the wake of complete social collapse, survivors are faced with even more horrors... (Many ideas here, but all, obviously, revolve around survivors and a reaching story arc.)

FANTASY AND/OR STEAMPUNK
Half-assed mage Kyu is a graduate of a magical academy, but never found a specialty. With abilities that run both left-hand and right-hand, his a master of none. He long desired to be a fearsome fighter, but is only an average swordsman. However, he is an archer nearly worthy of being a Ranger. Since leaving the orphanage academy that raised him, he has survived as a sellsword and, especially, a bounty hunter. (Especially looking for a badass fighter to become his counterpart, partner and traveling companion to explore a unique world.)

Got more, these are my current preferences, though.

ThesaurusTrash

Adding another one, resurrecting an old story idea I called "Dreammates":

Have you ever had a dream about someone you've never met, never seen before, who you assume doesn't exist in real life, but in the dream, you were in love? And when you woke up, you actually missed them? What if that person was real and dreaming the same thing, at the same time? And what if you started dreaming about them all the time?

A lot of directions for this to go. The romance is a key to it, but dreams are infinite. They can have all sorts of adventures together in their shared dreams. It can be a sweet romance mixed with fun adventures, or real peril. There's also potential for darker angles if the dreams start to interfere with their real lives.