Any Norwegians here? Help Christa with her homework!

Started by Clio, April 05, 2010, 02:27:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Clio

Hi everyone. I just figured I'd put up a topic that would allow any help y'all have for some of my essays this semester...Obviously I don't want anyone to do anything for me, but I figure if you have some information or suggestions, I'd welcome them!

1. Anything about Olav Tryggvason and/or the conversion of Norway to Christianity.

2. Any French language help!

3. Anything about Geli Raubal, Hitler's niece.

4. A suggestion for a good or important documentary film I can analyze for a 15 page paper.

If you have any assistance, or know of anyone who does, that would be amazing. Just a little help...like a website you found...or something would be good. Pictures and such are awesome too.
Signature by the amazing Amaris.

HairyHeretic

I could comment on the first one, but I don't think you would be able to use a lot of my words about that in an essay ;)   He seems to have had something of a reputation for spreading christianity by slaughtering those who wouldn't convert (and not with quick, clean deaths either).
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

GolGol

Heya!

Well I am not from Norway but from Sweden and I think I can help you anyway ^^

About your documentary film, can it be about anything or does it need to be about Vikings in Norway?

And here is a link for some sources for Norwegian history. I bet you can find something there. I have not checked everything myself but it seems to be good http://eudocs.lib.byu.edu/index.php/Norway_until_the_Kalmar_Union,_1387
My game ideas: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=75040.0

Ons and Offs, the updated list,  and pictures. Updated 29/10: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=4506

Discord: Plasmapudding#3339

Clio

Thanks guys!

And the documentary film is for a completely different class. It can be from any year, about anything.

Caeli

For the documentary, I suggest browsing through documentaries that have made the rounds through international film festivals, or try to pick a topic or subject and narrow it down from there.

Sundance is a well known and popular choice for a film festival; anything that is shown is almost always guaranteed to be a solid entry. Here were entries for the World Cinema Documentary Competition, as well as from the U.S. Documentary Competition. Here is another one that was spotlighted.

The quality isn't great, but there are also a lot of documentary films here.
ʙᴜᴛᴛᴇʀғʟɪᴇs ᴀʀᴇ ɢᴏᴅ's ᴘʀᴏᴏғ ᴛʜᴀᴛ ᴡᴇ ᴄᴀɴ ʜᴀᴠᴇ ᴀ sᴇᴄᴏɴᴅ ᴄʜᴀɴᴄᴇ ᴀᴛ ʟɪғᴇ
ᴠᴇʀʏ sᴇʟᴇᴄᴛɪᴠᴇʟʏ ᴀᴠᴀɪʟᴀʙʟᴇ ғᴏʀ ɴᴇᴡ ʀᴏʟᴇᴘʟᴀʏs

ᴄʜᴇᴄᴋ ❋ ғᴏʀ ɪᴅᴇᴀs; 'ø' ғᴏʀ ᴏɴs&ᴏғғs, ᴏʀ ᴘᴍ ᴍᴇ.
{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ᴄʜᴏᴏsᴇ ʏᴏᴜʀ ᴏᴡɴ ᴀᴅᴠᴇɴᴛᴜʀᴇ: ᴛʜᴇ ғɪғᴛʜ sᴄʜᴏʟᴀʀʟʏ ᴀʀᴛ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ
»  ᴘʟᴏᴛ ʙᴜɴɴɪᴇs × sᴛᴏʀʏ sᴇᴇᴅs × ᴄʜᴀʀᴀᴄᴛᴇʀ ɪɴsᴘɪʀᴀᴛɪᴏɴs

Clio

Thank you so much Caeli! Those are going to be a huge help.

Mr Self Destruct

Blood Into Wine - Trailer 2

The above is a documentary called Blood Into Wine, focusing on Maynard James Keenan's wine-making foray in the Arizona desert.  Maynard, of course, being the front-man for Tool, A Perfect Circle, and Puscifer.  Interesting stuff. :)

Clio

Thanks DC, I'll check it out.

I don't suppose anyone knows where I can either buy or watch "The Hitler Gang" from 1944. It's a U.S. Propaganda film, and I really would like to use it in my paper.

Ket

Check local libraries. They may have a copy or may be able to borrow a copy for you.
she wears strength and darkness equally well, the girl has always been half goddess, half hell

you can find me on discord Ket#8117
Ons & Offs~Menagerie~Pulse~Den of Iniquity
wee little Ketlings don't yet have the ability to spit forth flame with the ferocity needed to vanquish a horde of vehicular bound tiny arachnids.

Caeli

If you can't find it at local libraries, I would ask them if it's possible for them to locate a copy for you, in a different district; a lot of libraries have a loaning system between them.

Also, if you're doing this paper for a class (aka university), you could probably ask your university library to see if they have a copy.
ʙᴜᴛᴛᴇʀғʟɪᴇs ᴀʀᴇ ɢᴏᴅ's ᴘʀᴏᴏғ ᴛʜᴀᴛ ᴡᴇ ᴄᴀɴ ʜᴀᴠᴇ ᴀ sᴇᴄᴏɴᴅ ᴄʜᴀɴᴄᴇ ᴀᴛ ʟɪғᴇ
ᴠᴇʀʏ sᴇʟᴇᴄᴛɪᴠᴇʟʏ ᴀᴠᴀɪʟᴀʙʟᴇ ғᴏʀ ɴᴇᴡ ʀᴏʟᴇᴘʟᴀʏs

ᴄʜᴇᴄᴋ ❋ ғᴏʀ ɪᴅᴇᴀs; 'ø' ғᴏʀ ᴏɴs&ᴏғғs, ᴏʀ ᴘᴍ ᴍᴇ.
{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ᴄʜᴏᴏsᴇ ʏᴏᴜʀ ᴏᴡɴ ᴀᴅᴠᴇɴᴛᴜʀᴇ: ᴛʜᴇ ғɪғᴛʜ sᴄʜᴏʟᴀʀʟʏ ᴀʀᴛ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ
»  ᴘʟᴏᴛ ʙᴜɴɴɪᴇs × sᴛᴏʀʏ sᴇᴇᴅs × ᴄʜᴀʀᴀᴄᴛᴇʀ ɪɴsᴘɪʀᴀᴛɪᴏɴs

Clio

I've already tried that, unfortunately. I can try again, but I didn't have any luck last time. *sighs*

Hemingway

Unfortunately, digging up sources concerning Norwegian events in English can be tricky. I assume you need - if you still need it - more than superficial information?

Oniya

Olav Tryggvason can also be listed as Olaf I, just to help you in the finding of sources.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Clio

Quote from: Oniya on April 10, 2010, 07:38:43 PM
Olav Tryggvason can also be listed as Olaf I, just to help you in the finding of sources.

Lol, I know. I guess I should have put that up in the first post as well.

If I'm doing my thesis on him, I should hope I know what number Olaf he was. *smiles*

Quote from: Hemingway on April 10, 2010, 07:35:06 PM
Unfortunately, digging up sources concerning Norwegian events in English can be tricky. I assume you need - if you still need it - more than superficial information?

Yes, although superficial information can be helpful.

And I know that it would be amazing if I could read Norwegian, but alas I cannot.

Hemingway

Quote from: Christa McGinn on April 10, 2010, 08:12:38 PM
And I know that it would be amazing if I could read Norwegian, but alas I cannot.

If there's something specific, I could help translate. Within reason, anyway. Of course, that's slightly problematic if it's books you're interested in. Norwegian is my native language, for the record.

Clio

Quote from: Hemingway on April 10, 2010, 08:57:40 PM
If there's something specific, I could help translate. Within reason, anyway. Of course, that's slightly problematic if it's books you're interested in. Norwegian is my native language, for the record.

Thanks!

Clio

*sighs*

Tonight I'll be up all night working on my Olaf essay, as it's due tomorrow...well, the rough draft is. Therefore, if you have any advice, help, links or motivation to offer me, I'd love you forever. *sighs again and gets to work typing* I'll be on yahoo all night, so you can get me there or by PM.