Heroes of Myth [Pathfinder - Path of War] - Interest check

Started by eternaldarkness, March 18, 2015, 11:50:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

eternaldarkness

As the saying goes, if you want something done right you have to do it yourself. So...in that vein, i'm looking to run a Pathfinder game of good old-fashioned dungeon crawling in a fantasy world that is a conglomeration of many ancient cultures. I'm specifically allowing and encouraging people to take the three base classes from Path of War and will be making life a bit more difficult for spellcasting classes. I want a game focused on the kinds of heroes from myth and legend like Beowulf, Achilles, and Odysseus as well as some more fantastic ones from other media like Cloud Strife and his videogame and manga ilk.

The story would focus heavily on exploring and battling fantastic monsters, and as stated while spellcasters are not disallowed they are going to be rare and have some difficulties. I'm thinking that the PC's will be sent forth by some monarch or powerful being on their quest, and I will almost certainly give them a cool vehicle of some kind to ride around in, so an epic pirate captain would not be unwelcome.

Right now, I want to see if there would be any interest in this, and I would love a CO-GM so that i could actually play a bit myself. I've been dying to give PoW a spin.

Players and Characters
GM: Eternaldarkness
CO-GM:
Player 1:
Player 2:
Player 3:
Player 4:
Player 5:

eBadger

Intrigued - pirate captain sounds very fun.  What sort of adventure/setting are you looking at?  And how exactly are you penalizing spell casters?  Even with a focus on the melee types, I think magic adds a neat dimension to the game....

eternaldarkness

Quote from: eBadger on March 18, 2015, 12:31:38 PM
Intrigued - pirate captain sounds very fun.  What sort of adventure/setting are you looking at?  And how exactly are you penalizing spell casters?  Even with a focus on the melee types, I think magic adds a neat dimension to the game....

Setting-wise, i'm thinking a homebrewed world very similar to real-world ancient europe and the mediterranean with a super-heavy dose of fantasy. The world is filled with monsters and supernatural creatures of all kinds, and danger lies beyond the edges of the map. the PC's would be on a quest to retrieve some mcguffins from various monsters and other badguys. I haven't worked out the details yet - I want to see what kind of players and characters I get first - but expect a lot of exploration, dungeon-crawling, and monster-slaying with heavy doses of character-driven interaction.

As for spellcasters, i'm not doing anything too onerous to them, they'll just be widely regarded with either awe or great suspicion, or in some cases outright hostility, depending on their trappings and the local attitudes, and they will be rare - the PC caster types will probably be the only ones anyone has ever met personally. That being said, this means they really are special. Mechanically, it might be a bit tough for spellcasters to find things like new spells (for wizards). Divine casters might have a bit of an easier time depending on class and deity of choice.

Also, note that while i'd love to see a lot of the three PoW classes, other non-casters are by no means unwelcome.

eBadger

So basically the Argonauts, eh?  Hmm, will give it a think.  Any notion yet what level you're aiming at?

TheGlyphstone

A Gm who actively encourages and welcomes PoW? You are my new best E-friend. ;D

I'm picturing a very Conan feel to magic based on the little you've said. Is that the right atmosphere to be expecting?

eternaldarkness

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on March 18, 2015, 01:44:51 PM
A Gm who actively encourages and welcomes PoW? You are my new best E-friend. ;D

I'm picturing a very Conan feel to magic based on the little you've said. Is that the right atmosphere to be expecting?

I was a huge fan of Tome of Battle in 3.5, and PoW does everything it did and then some. I'm not opposed to other select 3pp content either, subject to my approval.As for magic, you're about right - true magic users will be as rare as they were in Hyboria, but just as powerful as they are in any D&D-like setting.

Currently approved sources are: All Paizo and Dreamscarred Press content. Yes, this includes psionic classes.

TheGlyphstone

Does that mean you'll be using the Psionics Are Different? Or will psionics/magic transparency be maintained mechanically, but only magic be subject to the mystery and social stigmas?

Either way, I think I'm set on a legendary-archer type character. Probably using Stalker as a base class, using Solar Wind and swapping something out for the new Tempest Gale playtest discipline.

eternaldarkness

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on March 18, 2015, 02:09:16 PM
Does that mean you'll be using the Psionics Are Different? Or will psionics/magic transparency be maintained mechanically, but only magic be subject to the mystery and social stigmas?

Either way, I think I'm set on a legendary-archer type character. Probably using Stalker as a base class, using Solar Wind and swapping something out for the new Tempest Gale playtest discipline.

Psionics/magic transparency is in play, and most people won't be able to tell the difference between the two. I need to look at Tempest Gale, but i'll allow it for now, as I have utmost faith in Dreamscarred Press.

Chulanowa

Vibes
Know, O prince, that between the years when the oceans drank Atlantis and the gleaming cities, and the years of the rise of the Sons of Aryas, there was an Age undreamed of, when shining kingdoms lay spread across the world like blue mantles beneath the stars - Nemedia, Ophir, Brythunia, Hyperborea, Zamora with its dark-haired women and towers of spider-haunted mystery, Zingara with its chivalry, Koth that bordered on the pastoral lands of Shem, Stygia with its shadow-guarded tombs, Hyrkania whose riders wore steel and silk and gold. But the proudest kingdom of the world was Aquilonia, reigning supreme in the dreaming west.
Hither came Conan the Cimmerian, black-haired, sullen-eyed, sword in hand, a thief, a reaver, a slayer, with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

I'm feeling it. I'm not terribly interested in the Path of War stuff, myself, so will probably be eyeballing something from the main line.

TheGlyphstone

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1mmEGGV-7j6ZGZqPXblPeY8cPzYtTweDtggVA0kqyAmM/edit

sniper/archery with a splash of ranged Combat maneuvers/trick shots feel to it. Also works with guns, but I think I want to stick with pure archery even if we do a pirate-ship theme.

eternaldarkness

Quote from: Chulanowa on March 18, 2015, 02:29:42 PM
Vibes
Know, O prince, that between the years when the oceans drank Atlantis and the gleaming cities, and the years of the rise of the Sons of Aryas, there was an Age undreamed of, when shining kingdoms lay spread across the world like blue mantles beneath the stars - Nemedia, Ophir, Brythunia, Hyperborea, Zamora with its dark-haired women and towers of spider-haunted mystery, Zingara with its chivalry, Koth that bordered on the pastoral lands of Shem, Stygia with its shadow-guarded tombs, Hyrkania whose riders wore steel and silk and gold. But the proudest kingdom of the world was Aquilonia, reigning supreme in the dreaming west.
Hither came Conan the Cimmerian, black-haired, sullen-eyed, sword in hand, a thief, a reaver, a slayer, with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

I'm feeling it. I'm not terribly interested in the Path of War stuff, myself, so will probably be eyeballing something from the main line.

A-okay. And I love that excerpt. brings a tear to my eye and makes me want to see a mighty-thewed barbarian (with a little 'b') hero out to kick ass, win great fortunes, and bang hot chicks in chainmail bikinis.

For that matter, i wouldn't mind seeing a hot chick in a chainmail bikini. Just throwing that out there. Red Sonya?

eternaldarkness

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on March 18, 2015, 02:33:50 PM
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1mmEGGV-7j6ZGZqPXblPeY8cPzYtTweDtggVA0kqyAmM/edit

sniper/archery with a splash of ranged Combat maneuvers/trick shots feel to it. Also works with guns, but I think I want to stick with pure archery even if we do a pirate-ship theme.

Oh my, I like that discipline a lot. Feel free to use it.

TheGlyphstone

rotburn

If there's any room, I think playing a Stalker would be wicked.

Only played Pathfinder twice, but willing to learn the ways. Of course if you want more experienced players I'll just dissipate into a cloud of smoke now.

eternaldarkness

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on March 18, 2015, 03:38:25 PM
So what level range are you aiming at to start?

I'm thinking around level 6 - high enough that you are all experienced adventurers with enough room to flesh out concepts. I'll be wanting a little blurb about the feats of awesomeness your characters have done before we start, so this is important.

Quote from: rotburn on March 18, 2015, 04:00:40 PM
If there's any room, I think playing a Stalker would be wicked.

Only played Pathfinder twice, but willing to learn the ways. Of course if you want more experienced players I'll just dissipate into a cloud of smoke now.

Newbies are perfectly okay. Hammer out a concept and jump in.

I'll take a maximum of five players.

eBadger

Yay not level 1!  I'll have a character to you within a day or so. 

rotburn

Woo! Are there any external links I should sort through to force out a character to the level you're looking for? I've got this PoW up, but I doubt that's all I'll need.

TheGlyphstone

Excellent. One Vigilante Stalker with the Acolyte of the Arrow tradition coming up. Let the snipe-tastic archery commence.

I'm Batman.

yaracyrrah

What is the armor bonus of a chain-mail bikini?

In related news, Warlord sounds cool :) .

eternaldarkness

Quote from: rotburn on March 18, 2015, 04:35:00 PM
Woo! Are there any external links I should sort through to force out a character to the level you're looking for? I've got this PoW up, but I doubt that's all I'll need.

All you need is d20pfsrd and Path of War. All the information you need is there, and anything outside of Paizo and Dreamscarred material should be run by me.

Character Creation: 25 Point-Buy (Here's a Point-Buy calculator). Races that are most appropriate are Human, Elf, Half-Elf, Aasimar (descendants of gods), and Tiefling (Descendants of much darker gods and demons), but other race are allowed and encouraged with a good story. Alternate racial traits are also allowed.
Classes: All Paizo and Dreamscarred Press classes.
Traits: You may select two Traits, with the normal restriction that you cannot select two traits from the same list.
Starting Level: 6.

Quote from: yaracyrrah on March 18, 2015, 04:49:34 PM
What is the armor bonus of a chain-mail bikini?

In related news, Warlord sounds cool :) .

Same as a Chain Shirt or Chainmail, depending on how you wanna fluff it :D

rotburn

Thank you eternaldarkness! This actually helped a lot! Especially knowing the point buy and all that jazz!

Ah dark gods, I'm in love with this character building already. Since there's already a Stalker in the works I'll change it up. Want to be able to offer a character to round out the group.

yaracyrrah

eBadger

Looking at the above I feel almost duty bound to add in a taste of magic.  Might go Skald, although that's a bit of a waste with no barbarians in the group, or sorcerer for contrasting goodness.  Will see what I can find inspiration-wise. 

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: rotburn on March 18, 2015, 04:59:58 PM
Thank you eternaldarkness! This actually helped a lot! Especially knowing the point buy and all that jazz!

Ah dark gods, I'm in love with this character building already. Since there's already a Stalker in the works I'll change it up. Want to be able to offer a character to round out the group.

I'm using the Vigilante archetype with an archery focus, so if you were going for a more traditional melee Stalker, there would still be design space difference.

rotburn

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on March 18, 2015, 05:35:57 PM
I'm using the Vigilante archetype with an archery focus, so if you were going for a more traditional melee Stalker, there would still be design space difference.

I'm already setting up with a Half-Elf Ranger dude. If your doing archery I'll focus on something else like a familiar with Natural weapon or two-weapon combat.