News:

Main Menu

Anime

Started by Null, December 15, 2013, 10:54:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scribbles

I used to be such a big fan of anime when I was younger!

Unfortunately, it was incredibly difficult to come by and I really had to scrounge to find any...

If anyone can recommend a legal source, please share!
AA and OO
Current Games: Stretched Thin, Very Little Time

yugi006

Crunchyroll is a good legal source. Funimation also streams shows on their site.

Scribbles

Haha, Crunchyroll, that's cute!

Thanks Yugi, appreciate it!
AA and OO
Current Games: Stretched Thin, Very Little Time

yugi006

It's a great site that has most of the latest simulcasts. If you are willing to waiting a week after each new episode it's free. If you really can't wait a week you can pay a monthly subscription to watch it then.

Cayenne

Crunchyroll has become how I judge subscription services on the internet, it also has apps for a large variety of devices.  Being that it is around 50 dollars a year, it is pretty hard to beat value with the amount of new shows that arrive every season.
"My mind is not in the gutter, I just happen to have a really good view of it from my high horse"

ONs & OFF

Drake Valentine

Well, there are free sites that stream anime, but not sure how legal they are. >_<

I mean, I have watched some anime from them that Crunchhyroll wasn't streaming. The Kingdom series(Crunchyroll no stream that.) And there was this other anime, can't remember its name, but mostly about some archer guy and these Valkyrie like chicks..... >.> Kind of harem, but with good action.  And 'When They Cry' fucking amazing anime, but Crunchyroll doesn't stream that either.

But I mostly watch anime on Crunchy roll, because my labtop sucks in streaming/slow showing of videos/choppy lag. I believe most anime aired is fine as long as it isn't officially license in America and a lot of Anime isn't license in America that some sites do freely host. Hell, Crunchyroll airs things free too, you only pay to avoid ads and to see the video sooner that was recently uploaded, unless they changed their policies.

Honestly, Crunchyroll's selection isn't that impressive and they can only stream certain animes. Some of which are censored or not air due to having nudity or other adult material. I only watch it for few animes on console.

"When I'm Done With You, You'll Be a:
Raped, Bloody, And Humiliated, Little Alice in Wonderland."

Introduction | O&Os | O&Os2 | IM RP Request(Canceled 04/11/2010) | A&As(Updated 10/29/13) | Solo RP Request (Updated 09/20/14)
Pale Eclipse - Group Game Project{Paused} 

Cayenne

Quote from: Drake Valentine on November 10, 2014, 10:06:16 AM
Well, there are free sites that stream anime, but not sure how legal they are. >_<

I mean, I have watched some anime from them that Crunchhyroll wasn't streaming. The Kingdom series(Crunchyroll no stream that.) And there was this other anime, can't remember its name, but mostly about some archer guy and these Valkyrie like chicks..... >.> Kind of harem, but with good action.  And 'When They Cry' fucking amazing anime, but Crunchyroll doesn't stream that either.

But I mostly watch anime on Crunchy roll, because my labtop sucks in streaming/slow showing of videos/choppy lag. I believe most anime aired is fine as long as it isn't officially license in America and a lot of Anime isn't license in America that some sites do freely host. Hell, Crunchyroll airs things free too, you only pay to avoid ads and to see the video sooner that was recently uploaded, unless they changed their policies.

Honestly, Crunchyroll's selection isn't that impressive and they can only stream certain animes. Some of which are censored or not air due to having nudity or other adult material. I only watch it for few animes on console.

With some good adblockers, and such, all you are really paying for is to see stuff on time, though at that point you might actually be better off going to one of the illegal places to watch it, since you are just using bandwidth without giving them any advertising revenue I suppose~  I still might go to questionable places to see stuff Crunchyroll isn't covering, since there is usually at least 1 or 2 animes that are really good that happen to have been snapped up by someone else.

Or of course, being that I'm not in America of the United States, there are shows that CrunchyRoll has licensed, but I can't see because they don't have it for my specific branch of the Americas.  As I find out when those sometimes questionable sites link you to Crunchroll, of which I own membership and they are all like "Yeah sorry none for you" I feel less bad about finding that one someplace else, even though it is pretty much the same situation.
"My mind is not in the gutter, I just happen to have a really good view of it from my high horse"

ONs & OFF

Drake Valentine

Quote from: Cayenne on November 10, 2014, 10:13:07 AM
With some good adblockers, and such, all you are really paying for is to see stuff on time, though at that point you might actually be better off going to one of the illegal places to watch it, since you are just using bandwidth without giving them any advertising revenue I suppose~  I still might go to questionable places to see stuff Crunchyroll isn't covering, since there is usually at least 1 or 2 animes that are really good that happen to have been snapped up by someone else.

Or of course, being that I'm not in America of the United States, there are shows that CrunchyRoll has licensed, but I can't see because they don't have it for my specific branch of the Americas.  As I find out when those sometimes questionable sites link you to Crunchroll, of which I own membership and they are all like "Yeah sorry none for you" I feel less bad about finding that one someplace else, even though it is pretty much the same situation.

Well, in those situations, if I really like the series and if it is license in America(for instance, if I watch it off site.) I will by the DVDs of it once it is in US to have a physical copy.  The fan translations are done for nonprofit groups.

Though a lot of the animes I do watch will never be license in America. I doubt 'When They Cry' will, unless it was and if so I wouldn't mind having uncut version of that. Kingdom, I haven't seen either. There were some other pretty morbid animes that I enjoyed, can't recall their titles though, but they were of the psychological thriller theme where you try to figure out what is happening in the show.  Persona 4 was, and I bought it. Kenichi was, and I own it. Code Geass, have those copies as well. Still there are a lot of animes out there that may stream and will likely never branch away from their resident home country.

Introduction | O&Os | O&Os2 | IM RP Request(Canceled 04/11/2010) | A&As(Updated 10/29/13) | Solo RP Request (Updated 09/20/14)

Minato

Ahem,

Zankyou No Terror(Anime of the summer and year of 2014 for me, despite the flaws)
HunterXHunter(2011)
BakeMonogatari
Cowboy Bebop
Yu Yu Hakusho
Shingeki no Bahamut (anime for the 2014 Fall for me.)

MasterOfWhispers

Fanatsic choices Minato! Haven't watched Shingeki no Bahamut yet though mainly because the synopsis seemed kind of a generic to me. After I clear out my backlog I might marathon it up to its current ark.

For me my top anime is
Fate/Zero
Gurren Lagann
Code Geass
Aldnoah.Zero
Hellsing Ultimate
Clannad
Golden Time
Tora Dora
Psycho Pass
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure Phantom Blood/Battle Tendency.

What I'm watching or keeping up with This season however:
Log Horizon 2
Psycho Pass 2
Fate/Stay Night Unlimited Blade works T.V
Akame ga Kill

*shrugs* Mostly sequels this season. Maybe I will check out Shingeki no Bahamut today.
On and Offs

"How do you write like you're running out of time? Write day and Night like you're running out of time"- Hamilton Musical

Drake Valentine

Parasyte is a very good series. Depressing and morbid as hell though; later through series anyways.

Cayenne

Quote from: MasterOfWHispers on November 13, 2014, 09:33:23 AM
Fanatsic choices Minato! Haven't watched Shingeki no Bahamut yet though mainly because the synopsis seemed kind of a generic to me. After I clear out my backlog I might marathon it up to its current ark.

For me my top anime is
Fate/Zero
Gurren Lagann
Code Geass
Aldnoah.Zero
Hellsing Ultimate
Clannad
Golden Time
Tora Dora
Psycho Pass
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure Phantom Blood/Battle Tendency.

What I'm watching or keeping up with This season however:
Log Horizon 2
Psycho Pass 2
Fate/Stay Night Unlimited Blade works T.V
Akame ga Kill

*shrugs* Mostly sequels this season. Maybe I will check out Shingeki no Bahamut today.

I was kinda bummed at change of studio for Log Horizon, is nice to be getting a second season and all, but I wish it was the same quality of the previous~  I don't watch a lot of those other ones, cuz I'm not super into horror and such (Did watch first episode of Akame ga kill)

ONs & OFF

MasterOfWhispers

Really? I Didn't know notice the transition from studios. I had to look up which studio is doing it. Yeaaaah. Not a huge fan of Deen with what they did with the first Fate/stay night anime. As for Akame ga Kill. I actually like it. Most people I know hate it though. I love the action and the characters granted some of those characters are basically archetypes.  I highly recommend you watch Gurren Lagann though. So much fun in awesome distilled in one anime!
On and Offs

"How do you write like you're running out of time? Write day and Night like you're running out of time"- Hamilton Musical

Cassandra LeMay

I'm in the middle of watching Secret Of Blue Water (Fushigi no Umi no Nadia) again and I still can't make up my mind about this series. The mix of slapstick humor and life and death topics is ... odd. Entertaining, but... odd.
ONs, OFFs, and writing samples | Oath of the Drake

You can not value dreams according to the odds of their becoming true.
(Sonia Sotomayor)

Cayenne

Quote from: MasterOfWHispers on November 16, 2014, 11:51:53 PM
Really? I Didn't know notice the transition from studios. I had to look up which studio is doing it. Yeaaaah. Not a huge fan of Deen with what they did with the first Fate/stay night anime. As for Akame ga Kill. I actually like it. Most people I know hate it though. I love the action and the characters granted some of those characters are basically archetypes.  I highly recommend you watch Gurren Lagann though. So much fun in awesome distilled in one anime!

I noticed right away that not only was all the character designs off, how they presented things, and the animation style had changed!  It is still pretty good, but I feel like last season (Up until around the end) It was nearly untouchable goodness for me.

Gurren Lagann is amazing, especially if you ever liked giant robot cartoons as a child, and I felt Kill La Kill stood shoulders with that for its interpretation on the magical girl genre.

ONs & OFF

CaptainNexus616

I personally loved Soul Eater. My biggest complaint though was ending the show in such a lame way. I understood the Manga was not finished at the time but it was still rather sloppy. I was hoping that when they did Soul Eater NOT it would cause people to regain enough interest to do a reboot to follow the original storyline...oh how wrong I was.

G Gundam Fighter was my favorite adaption of Gundam along with Wing.

Then ZOIDS!!!
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ FLIP THIS TABLE.
┻━┻ ︵ ヽ(°□°ヽ) FLIP THAT TABLE.
┻━┻ ︵ \(`Д´)/ ︵ ┻━┻ FLIP ALL THE TABLES
▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ Sorry, I just dropped my bag of Doritos in my signature again. ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄┐( °ー ° )┌

LuckyOwl

Quote from: wander on October 11, 2014, 11:15:33 PM
I'll suggest Attack on Titan, purely because everything else you've mentioned I also happen to suggest and agree opinion-wise with you. However I agree Steins;Gate is an amazing series, but has a duff starting few eps... Keep on with it... Its the one anime show that actually made me shed manly tears come the last few eps at least once over the last... say 3 or so eps of the series... and I'm cool with admitting that :)

A guy can only take so many microwaved bananas! I'll give it another chance when I have some time, but those first few eps were really dreadful ;_;

Quote from: Changingsaint on October 12, 2014, 06:51:54 PM
Do you just not like Code Geass's mecha or mecha in general?

As a lot of Gundam series I feel might fit what you're looking for, but they're all obviously mecha so it'd be a bit pointless to offer them up!

Honesty? I dislike mecha in general. I could overlook it for a great plot, but it's generally much harder for a mecha show to hold me than for a non-mecha one. Even if I dislike the non-mecha one I usually stick with it till the end to be able to say "well watched it, don't like it", but mecha shows I just have very little tolerance for.
QuoteYou never knew exactly how much space you occupied in people's lives.
F. Scott Fitzgerald, Tender is the Night

Drake Valentine

Started watching Initial D, and I will admit, for an old anime it is a really good anime, even if it is a 'street racing' anime.

CaptainNexus616

If there is one anime I can recommend it would be Gurren Lagann. I found this gem of a show on Netflix and its like crack to me. I've introduced it to a friend of mine who hates mecha anime and she fell in love with it. Great music, great story, and awesome characters sums up everything I look for in a show and the end with how strong the main character becomes puts even Goku to shame.

*Waits for the flame wars*
▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ Sorry, I just dropped my bag of Doritos in my signature again. ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄┐( °ー ° )┌

Cayenne

Quote from: CaptainNexus616 on January 01, 2015, 12:20:39 PM
If there is one anime I can recommend it would be Gurren Lagann. I found this gem of a show on Netflix and its like crack to me. I've introduced it to a friend of mine who hates mecha anime and she fell in love with it. Great music, great story, and awesome characters sums up everything I look for in a show and the end with how strong the main character becomes puts even Goku to shame.

*Waits for the flame wars*

If you liked that, you should check out Kill La Kill, same people, but this time took the Magical Girl troupes and made them crazy. In relation to Gurren Lagann, Simon doesn't himself become more powerful, so much as his ability to control the and the spiral becomes super powered. 

Also, if you thought Dragon Ball Z was too long and strung out, they've been re-releasing it without the filler and it skips along at a pretty brisk pace now.

ONs & OFF

Wajin

I finally sat down with my husband and watched Mahouka koukou no rettousei, which he enjoyed quite a lot :D

On my own I am currently watching Cross Ange, just to see how many scenes from Gundam Seed Destiny that Fukuda can manage to get pushed in there <.<
I have taken the Oath of the Drake
"--But every sin...is punished, but punished by death, no matter the crime. No matter the scale of the sin. The people of the city live in silence, lest a single word earn them death for speaking out against you."

"Yes. Listen. Listen to the sound of raw silence. Is it not serene?"

CaptainNexus616

Quote from: Cayenne on January 01, 2015, 08:30:50 PM
If you liked that, you should check out Kill La Kill, same people, but this time took the Magical Girl troupes and made them crazy. In relation to Gurren Lagann, Simon doesn't himself become more powerful, so much as his ability to control the and the spiral becomes super powered. 

Also, if you thought Dragon Ball Z was too long and strung out, they've been re-releasing it without the filler and it skips along at a pretty brisk pace now.

I have seen Kill La Kill and while it didn't have an as big fight as Gurren Lagann did at the end I enjoyed it was pretty awesome lol.

I really don't care for DBZ Kai. I like many other DBZ fans have found Team Four Star's Abridged series....I freaking love it so much.

If anyone here has not seen the Abridged series please take the time to look it up. The guys behind it put a lot of effort and time into for something they can't generate revenue from the episodes like most YouTube personalities can with their videos. The first couple of episodes take a little getting use to because they were just starting out but it gets even better with each episode.

Starkweather

My top 10:

Hunter x Hunter (2011)
Yu Yu Hakusho
One Piece
Ano Natsu de Matteru
Love, Chunibyo & Other Delusions!
Puella Magi Madoka Magica
Azumanga Daioh
Lucky Star
Toradora!
Yuru Yuri

Ons and Offs
Please add me on LastFM!

I could have made these excuses in my sleep,
As if anyone had doubted them at all.
But if we arm Eritrea then we won't have to pay her
And everyone can go home.

Yukina

Quote from: Starkweather on January 01, 2015, 11:58:22 PM
My top 10:

Hunter x Hunter (2011)
Yu Yu Hakusho
One Piece
Ano Natsu de Matteru
Love, Chunibyo & Other Delusions!
Puella Magi Madoka Magica
Azumanga Daioh
Lucky Star
Toradora!
Yuru Yuri

I own the anime and manga collections for Azumanga Daioh and Lucky Star. I also love Puella Magi Madoka Magica. :) Still gotta finish Toradora! though.

Starkweather

Quote from: Yugishogun on January 02, 2015, 03:33:20 PM
I own the anime and manga collections for Azumanga Daioh and Lucky Star. I also love Puella Magi Madoka Magica. :) Still gotta finish Toradora! though.
Rock on, brother.
Ons and Offs
Please add me on LastFM!

I could have made these excuses in my sleep,
As if anyone had doubted them at all.
But if we arm Eritrea then we won't have to pay her
And everyone can go home.