Converting OWoD Setting to NWoD System

Started by LunarSage, July 05, 2011, 05:18:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LunarSage

Alright, this thread is for feedback and assistance in doing some conversions from the old World of Darkness setting to the new WoD system.  I want constructive advice and help from people who may know the systems and the old setting well.  What I don't want is a bunch of posts telling me how superior the new setting is.  I know what I like... I've tried the new WoD setting and I don't care for it.  I -love- the old setting, but I think the new system is better and easier to use.  Unfortunately, many of the old Disciplines aren't in the Requiem book.  Thank you in advance to anyone up to the task of helping me do this.

First up...

OBTENEBRATION

o Shadow Play.  1 bp to activate for one scene.  Kindred cloaked by shadows add one to their stealth pool and subtract one from the dice pools of anyone attacking at range.  Opponents are effectively at -1 to their Stamina and thus at -1 health when in contact with any form of Obtenebration.

oo Shroud of Night.  Character rolls Manipulation + Occult.  1 success = 10 feet diameter cloud of darkness.  Each additional success doubles the diameter.  Anyone within is considered blind except the Lasombra who created the cloud, and vampires in possession of Eyes of the Beast, who still suffer a -2 to all their action dice pools.

000 Arms of the Abyss.  1 bp is spent for the scene.  Character rolls Manipulation + Occult.  Each success summons one 6 foot long tendril that is under the mental command of the Lasombra who summoned it.  Each arm possesses a Strength equal to the Lasombra's Obtenebration rating and fights with a brawl equal to the controlling Lasombra's. 

0000 Black Metomorphosis.  2 bp are spent to activate this Discipline and the character rolls Composure + Manipulation.  Every success gained grants the Kindred +1 to their Strength and Defense. 

00000 Tenebrous Form.  3 bp are spent and the transformation takes 3 turns.  The Lasombra is immune to physical attack, but fire and sunlight deal +1 damage to them in this form.  Additionally, rotchereck tests are made vs fire and sunlight at a minus 1 to the character's dice pool.

What do you think?  Is this an ok conversion to the new system?

▫  A.A  ▫  O.O  ▫  Find & Seek   ▫ 

Black Howling

Quote from: LunarSage on July 05, 2011, 05:18:32 PM
Alright, this thread is for feedback and assistance in doing some conversions from the old World of Darkness setting to the new WoD system.  I want constructive advice and help from people who may know the systems and the old setting well.  What I don't want is a bunch of posts telling me how superior the new setting is.  I know what I like... I've tried the new WoD setting and I don't care for it.  I -love- the old setting, but I think the new system is better and easier to use.  Unfortunately, many of the old Disciplines aren't in the Requiem book.  Thank you in advance to anyone up to the task of helping me do this.

First up...

OBTENEBRATION

o Shadow Play.  1 bp to activate for one scene.  Kindred cloaked by shadows add one to their stealth pool and subtract one from the dice pools of anyone attacking at range.  Opponents are effectively at -1 to their Stamina and thus at -1 health when in contact with any form of Obtenebration.

oo Shroud of Night.  Character rolls Manipulation + Occult.  1 success = 10 feet diameter cloud of darkness.  Each additional success doubles the diameter.  Anyone within is considered blind except the Lasombra who created the cloud, and vampires in possession of Eyes of the Beast, who still suffer a -2 to all their action dice pools.

000 Arms of the Abyss.  1 bp is spent for the scene.  Character rolls Manipulation + Occult.  Each success summons one 6 foot long tendril that is under the mental command of the Lasombra who summoned it.  Each arm possesses a Strength equal to the Lasombra's Obtenebration rating and fights with a brawl equal to the controlling Lasombra's. 

0000 Black Metomorphosis.  2 bp are spent to activate this Discipline and the character rolls Composure + Manipulation.  Every success gained grants the Kindred +1 to their Strength and Defense. 

00000 Tenebrous Form.  3 bp are spent and the transformation takes 3 turns.  The Lasombra is immune to physical attack, but fire and sunlight deal +1 damage to them in this form.  Additionally, rotchereck tests are made vs fire and sunlight at a minus 1 to the character's dice pool.

What do you think?  Is this an ok conversion to the new system?
I'm not familiar with the old world of darkness setting, the books are too hard for me to find. I know Requiem's system quite well though. So I can give the system advice just fine. At first glance some of the abilities seem over the top compared to other disciplines of the same dot levels. Others seem below them. You might try tweaking what they do just a little more, comparing them to the basic average effects of other dot levels. I don't know the basis of the discipline, from a quick wiki search it seems tied to a certain clan that associated with the sabbats from the old setting. * Scratches head* I need to really find more info out about VtM sometime.

If it's a special bloodline discipline(which would be my advice to make it such)then you can easily convert it via those guidelines. The bloodline disciplines tend to be hiked a bit, so my advice would be to heighten it as close to the old discipline uses as possible and try to reasonably make it on par with special disciplines. It'll come out on a little higher field then the basic disciplines, but considering it's a limited power tied to a certain bloodline that brings with it an adverse effect, that should not be an issue. I'll do more research on the old setting now and see if I can't find more ways to help out. I love converting stuff over, it's so fun!

LunarSage

Hrm, I'll have to look over the NWoD books again then.  Thank you, Howling.  I appreciate the input!  :-)

TheGlyphstone

Yeah, a few of the Old World clans became bloodlines of the New World clans when they got consolidated (for example, Malkavians are now Malkovians, a subset of the Ventrue clan) - trying to mesh the OWoD setting with NWoD mechanics could be awkward in places, since it's "balanced" per say around five clans with bloodline subclans for weird things. If the Lasombra are all about shadow-manipulation, they'd be a perfect fit for a more martially inclined bloodline of the Mekhet clan; maybe Vigor, Obfuscate, and Obtenebration as bloodline disciplines. As BH said, it'd also give you a little leeway to have the dot-powers be slightly better than equivalent dot levels of 'core' disciplines.

Plot Hooks

I think they released a VTM to VTR conversion book not to long ago.   Today, they announced a release date on a conversion book for Mage.     I am psyched.
"Cut me down or let me run.  Either way it's all gonna burn." - Joe (The Protomen)

Ons/Offs       Ideas          A/A

LunarSage

Oooh nice!  I'll have to look for that.  Any idea what it's called?

Plot Hooks

"Cut me down or let me run.  Either way it's all gonna burn." - Joe (The Protomen)

Ons/Offs       Ideas          A/A

LunarSage