Nightwood Falls 3.0 (Horror, Monsters, Sandbox, Freeform, Everyone Friendly)

Started by Rel Mayer, September 05, 2016, 01:39:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

inflatetress

Name: Layla (probably not real name)

Occupation: entertainer, party girl (Layla gets paid to go to parties and "hang out".  She makes a killing off of horny guys at the university and is despised by most of the female students there and the faculty.)

Character Type: Victim

Brief History: Layla is a dim witted blonde bimbo type, obsessed with attention and money.  She is always found in Nightwood or on the campus in tight, skanky clothing and very high platform wedges.  Hey body and mind are slow.  She's loud and always "ready to go"!

Sexuality: anything!  She just likes attention!

Surprise GM Events?: YES!

IF VICTIM:

Link O&Os: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=30047.msg1610934#msg1610934

Sexual ONs: humiliation, degradation, race play, impregnation, inflation, vore, death

Death? (Y/N) Degree of Death? (Normal, Nightmare, Hell):] Yes!  Hell!

Specify Hard OFFs: not into bathroom stuff

Connections?: Would love to die from something in my O/O or something close if that's too weird for peeps!  Enjoy!  First come first served!   :-*

Pink Kitten

Oooo, I'm soooooo tempted to join, this looks like so much fun~ Really scary stuff does make me a bit squeamish, but... for a Halloween story, maybe that's actually a good thing? :D

@Fetwick: how evil were you hoping to be for the cheerleader from Billy's past? I think I'd love to write her, but I doubt I'd be comfortable writing much more than Nightmare rating content, so if you had more... Hellish plans for her, you might want someone else for the part :-) (Which is absolutely fine by me, so please just speak up if that's the case - I can definitely just try something else too!)

Fetwick

Quote from: Pink Kitten on September 06, 2016, 01:06:57 PM
@Fetwick: how evil were you hoping to be for the cheerleader from Billy's past? I think I'd love to write her, but I doubt I'd be comfortable writing much more than Nightmare rating content, so if you had more... Hellish plans for her, you might want someone else for the part :-) (Which is absolutely fine by me, so please just speak up if that's the case - I can definitely just try something else too!)

You can go as mean as you like! You could be the head cheerleader who forced the new recruit to do so, or you can play the new girl on the squad! Maybe she has feelings of guilt? Maybe she relished in it?

I have no problem playing him down. A lot of his deaths were actually pretty tame for what I had in mind. Predicament bondage/breathplay, things of that nature.

Whowhatwhere

I have an idea for an angel, but it might not fit with the system... He is trapped in the city like the humans, perhaps as punishment, or perhaps by accident. He's immortal, but only as powerful as any given monster. He would do what he could to protect victims (not very successful though, they're "victims" for a reason).

He would not fight monsters himself (perhaps a truce of some sort between heaven and hell) and could only help humans if they wanted to be helped or some other such rule. As an entity of order, he is bound by many rules.

I could see him being overcome by a succubus and losing his grace, though. He would become a fallen angel, and then...no more rules and a lot of angelic ass kicking. But he'd be defeated in spirit, if not in body. He'd become a monster, twisted by his own skewed volition to do what he wishes, free from his former rules.

He obviously would have his fair form, able to boink and be boinked. But underneath is a literal telling of some of the more wild descriptions of angels - a geometric, fiery wheel with eyes all around the edge and angel wings. Hovering in the air, dazzingly bright.

Also, I could do a quickly dispatched victim as a second character.

If not, no worries, I can play victims & I know I can make really good monsters.
The O's and the A's --- AFK every weekend

Roen

This is a great game, I've had a blast the first couple of rounds you tried to run it, Rel :P

Come and Write with Me! (O/Os and Ideas)
Even the oldest of sights has a moment of rebirth.
-Nathan Alterman.

Rel Mayer

Quote from: inflatetress on September 06, 2016, 11:52:00 AM

Name: Layla (probably not real name)

Occupation: entertainer, party girl (Layla gets paid to go to parties and "hang out".  She makes a killing off of horny guys at the university and is despised by most of the female students there and the faculty.)

Character Type: Victim

Brief History: Layla is a dim witted blonde bimbo type, obsessed with attention and money.  She is always found in Nightwood or on the campus in tight, skanky clothing and very high platform wedges.  Hey body and mind are slow.  She's loud and always "ready to go"!

Sexuality: anything!  She just likes attention!

Surprise GM Events?: YES!

IF VICTIM:

Link O&Os: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=30047.msg1610934#msg1610934

Sexual ONs: humiliation, degradation, race play, impregnation, inflation, vore, death

Death? (Y/N) Degree of Death? (Normal, Nightmare, Hell):] Yes!  Hell!

Specify Hard OFFs: not into bathroom stuff

Connections?: Would love to die from something in my O/O or something close if that's too weird for peeps!  Enjoy!  First come first served!   :-*

She should work great for a basic victim to om nom on! If you ever feel like branching out into a main character and need direction--let me know!

But once I get the character threads up she's approved for you to post!

Quote from: Pink Kitten on September 06, 2016, 01:06:57 PM
Oooo, I'm soooooo tempted to join, this looks like so much fun~ Really scary stuff does make me a bit squeamish, but... for a Halloween story, maybe that's actually a good thing? :D

Ahhh!! It's exciting to see you here! :) :) :)! I put the different horror ratings and made sure to include content warnings as well as specifying exactly what irks people to prevent people going over their limits in this game. Because I totally understand that everyone has different levels of horror that they can handle.

Hopefully that helps! I'd love to see you join!

Quote from: Whowhatwhere on September 06, 2016, 01:22:15 PM
I have an idea for an angel, but it might not fit with the system... He is trapped in the city like the humans, perhaps as punishment, or perhaps by accident. He's immortal, but only as powerful as any given monster. He would do what he could to protect victims (not very successful though, they're "victims" for a reason).

He would not fight monsters himself (perhaps a truce of some sort between heaven and hell) and could only help humans if they wanted to be helped or some other such rule. As an entity of order, he is bound by many rules.

I could see him being overcome by a succubus and losing his grace, though. He would become a fallen angel, and then...no more rules and a lot of angelic ass kicking. But he'd be defeated in spirit, if not in body. He'd become a monster, twisted by his own skewed volition to do what he wishes, free from his former rules.

He obviously would have his fair form, able to boink and be boinked. But underneath is a literal telling of some of the more wild descriptions of angels - a geometric, fiery wheel with eyes all around the edge and angel wings. Hovering in the air, dazzingly bright.

Also, I could do a quickly dispatched victim as a second character.

If not, no worries, I can play victims & I know I can make really good monsters.

I wanna stray away from immortality, if that's alright with you. Because I don't like the idea that monsters can kill people, but people can't fight back. So as long as you're alright with giving him definite weaknesses--the idea would work for me!

He sounds like he could be one of the Knowing... or possibly tied to a knowing in one way or another. Let me know what your thought process is and what you end up coming up with, but a fallen angel will totally work.

And victims and main characters are always welcome! I'll draft up mine tonight to give an example.

Quote from: Roen on September 06, 2016, 04:47:47 PM
This is a great game, I've had a blast the first couple of rounds you tried to run it, Rel :P

Roen it was such a blast having you in both games. Are you interested in joining this year? If not, no worries, but I just wanted to take a moment and tell you that you're awesome!

Rel Mayer

Quote from: Sun Wukong on September 06, 2016, 05:20:31 AM
Just to warn anyone/everyone about to read this you're going down a pretty dark road. I still want to play the other monster idea I had but I was looking through Dark Souls and Darkest Dungeon for inspiration and it just hit me 'What if Pinwheel wasn't just a rubbish disappointing boss in a video game' because his design is actually pretty creepy. So I ended up derailed on the darker road and landed here. I've said dark an awful lot in this paragraph, maybe that's a good sign though.

Name: The Twisted Tinkerer

Character Type: Monster

Occupation: The Tinkerer has a singular obsession and unnatural drive to create a diorama of a happy family. It intends to capture humans, carve them up and use taxidermy to create dolls of the characters it wishes to create. It will dismember and flay it's victims before preserving them and adding their body parts to it's collection, fixing them together to create life size dolls. There still seems to be some part of the victims alive, trapped within the doll. They can only look and feel the skin, but as there is no muscle left the dark magic only traps them in eternal helplessness.

It lives in a workshop separate from much of the town. It used to be owned by a mechanic but he long since passed away and now it is devoted to the Tinkerer's insane work. It is filled with medical and butchery implements, as well as various tools for taxidermy and a large stage set up for his diorama. This currently features six wooden manikins delicately posed, each with a varying amount of blood, skin and other human body parts ornately attached to it. The scene being played out is that of a happy family standing together and holding hands. A father, a mother and a daughter. The father has a long, straggly beard. The mother seems to be wearing a surgical mask as if she's a nurse. The daughter has a gaunt, unnerving face with her mouth and eyes wide open.

Physical Description: The Tinkerer is a strange, unnatural being. It's physical form is almost entirely concealed at all times. It wears a heavy, long black cloak that covers its entire body easily. It's sleeves are long and cleanly cover each of it's six long limbs. In each hand it carries a strange lantern, using these to light it's way in the darkness it tends to spend its time in. These lanterns each burn with the souls of his victims, trapping them eternally to eventually create the soul of a doll. On it's faces it wears three masks representing the three pieces of the diorama as the Doctor/Father, The Nurse/Mother and the Victim/Daughter. The Doctor has a long, straggly and unkempt beard. The Nurse wears a surgical mask and has a concealed face. The victim has long, wavy hair and a gaunt, unnatural look.

Beneath the cloak is is an amalgamation of three dolls. Each of the family members, created from wood and human body parts, twisted and warped together to form a strange creation. It moves in a deeply unnatural way, it's six legs clattering across the floor in a hectic flurry. All six arms writhe and move with a life of their own, with a wide variety of surgical implements where their hands would be ranging from saws to scalpels. It has three heads, all with preserved human eye balls staring blankly outwards. The faces are masks of skin, tied together in a sick tapestry that barely looks as though it's come from the same person, which it often hasn't. It is clear it takes a dozen victims to create each doll as the tinkerer only picks it's favourite pieces of each target.

Personality:
The Tinkerer is no longer remotely near the minds of the original three victims. It is now a dark being with it's own thoughts and desires, although everything it is revolves around that one dark flaw of striving for an unattainable perceived perfection. It is incapable of speaking, although it can write and scratch messages out, and is even capable of using technology to communicate such as texts and online messengers as it has very delicate, precise movements when it is not trying to move quickly. It is permanently calm, incapable of growing angry and maintaining a hauntingly efficient motion in everything it does. It feels strongly that it's victims are necessary for it to succeed, and having now tried for so crushingly long it simply has no better option than to be met with success at long last. It will almost only kill in elaborate tricks and traps as it is not particularly talented at fighting, or very fast, although it's limbs powered by occult magics are far stronger than a human and it is certainly capable of using it's surgical equipment to kill. But it tends to prefer to maintain it's calculating efficiency, only growing upset if the dolls it is creating are damaged or stolen. It will still not become angry as a human would, more simply driven to meet out vengeance upon the one that wronged it, generally intending to use it's strange occult taxidermy to flay and dismember them while keeping them alive. 

History:
The tinkerer was born of a single mans dark desire for perfection. He had everything in life, except for the daughter he so badly desired. He fell into depression and madness as he grew older, alongside his wife, and the two of them vowed to create the life they wished for. And so he spoke to dark, occult men who promised him the daughter he so desired. All he had to do was create her for them, but the price was that the outer parts of the girl such as her hair, eyes and skin must be collected from humans. The tinkerer and his wife were so deeply scarred that they agreed to this price, and kidnapped a victim. He and his wife dressed as a Doctor and a nurse and operated on her, although they believed their poison killed her the young woman woke up in a fit of terror mid way through the operation, before collapsing and seeming to die. When they were done they had created their grotesque life sized doll, a horrific parody of a human at best.

They sought out the occult men once more and welcomed them into their home. When the strangers were inside however, they did not awaken the doll. Instead they knocked out both the husband and the wife, still dressed as the doctor and the nurse. They cursed the two of them for their dark desires, and then left as quickly as they came. While the man and woman were unconscious the monstrous doll rose. It stumbled about the house, trying to understand what it was. The first thing it could find was the fathers mad scrawled drawings, this one of a strange family. The doll could only imagine this was in some way it's purpose, and so it strove to create two more dolls to complete the family. Finding the unconscious couple on the floor it silently cut their throats and let them die. It took a long time to create but the doll eventually managed to build two more, similar to itself.  It covered the two dolls in the skin and other body parts of the couple, and finally it's work felt complete.

When the two other dolls awakened the three finally held hands, embracing in a nightmarish vision of a dream gone terribly wrong. But the dolls were not satisfied or happy. They had been born with the single minded goal of creating this, and it had not changed how they felt in any way. The three resolved to create a better scene this time. They built themselves together, with great difficulty, to be as one whole unit before they created the new family. Now a six limbed, six legged and three headed disjointed creation they concealed the horror of their appearance even from themselves with a long, black cloak and three masks of their own faces. For hundreds of years it have set about creating and re-creating the same scene, always with the same result. Now it has found itself in Nightwood, believing there to be a vast source of potential candidates for its dolls it feels that this time it can finally get it right. It remains quietly on the outside of the town, luring it victims into elaborately crafted traps and tricks to capture them.

Quirks:

• -Incredible knowledge of human anatomy and surgery.
  • -Multiple inhumanely strong limbs.
  • -Difficult to wound with gunshots or most normal weapons.
  • -Has a variety of blades and surgical equipment

Flaws:

• -Clumsy and poor at fighting.
  • -Extremely vulnerable to fire.
  • -Obsessed with a single minded goal.
  • -Slower than a healthy adult human.

Link your O&O: Link your O&Os

Specify Ons: Creepy, unnerving horror scenes.

Specify Hard Offs: I'm all in on gore here other than genital mutilation.

Sexuality: Not a sexual creature at all.

Content Level:Hell

Death? Automatic Yes.

Face Claim?: Dark Souls 1 Pinwheel

Surprise GM Events?: Yes

Connections?: General victims. Potentially living dolls either the Doctor/Father, Nurse/Mother or Victim/Daughter.

Quote from: Remiel on September 06, 2016, 07:05:23 PM
I love it, Sun Wukong.  The Twisted Tinkerer is all kinds of creepy.

What Remiel said! Absolutely wonderful. He will be approved once I get the Character Sheet thread up! :)

Totoro

I was going for that sick, creepy vibe without being a big strong monster. I tend to find the methodical, surgical things scarier. I think it just feels more cold blooded and heartless. Although both kinds of monster absolutely have a place in horror. I also wanted to give it a 'Was human' feel but also make it very far detached from humanity. Honestly I think I'm going to creep myself out most of the time I post for it.

Relikai

VonDoom

Hrmm. Lots of monsters around already. Time to propose a nice, normal character. And from the looks of things, we can definitely use a doctor! Well, doctor … and visiting Professor of Psychology. Go, go, go!
And yes, I realize I keep switching between Doctor and Professor down below. He's both, lemme alone! ;_;

Name: Professor Adam Mallory, MD

Character Type: Main Character

Occupation:  Professor of Psychology, visiting; medical doctor, psychiatrist and licensed neuro-surgeon.

Physical Description:

Personality:
Professor Mallory is a willful academic, with little time for lazy students but an always open ear to motivated ones who show genuine interest.  A very driven man who was considered one of the up and coming rising stars that would revolutionize the medical field, he has few actual accomplishments to his name despite his sterling reputation.

He is determined to forceful in his interactions, but always with a polite note.
He staunchly believes in logic and science, with no time for or interest in the supernatural.

GM Territory
Behind his more mild-mannered facade, he is an extremist who puts scientific advances over everything else. His views of what might constitute advancements or improvements are a bit skewed. How could they not, when your personal idol is one Doctor Joseph Mengele?

What is the line that separates human from monster? A very fine one and Prof. Mallory has walked it for decades. It is, after all, hard to show off your actual, revolutionary results when your real scientific ambitions are something right out of a horror show.

To put things into perspective: after years of creative neuro surgery combined with amoral hypnotic techniques inflicted on relatively ordinary patients, he has perfected a very effective procedure with minimal after-effects, aside of course from the intended blind obedience to anyone using the proper code-words. It only involves hypno-therapy combined with a bit of lobotomy.

Now for the perspective part: he considers it a boring necessity. So few people are normally inclined to help him with the more creative experiments, after all. So he took it upon himself to make some.

Thing is, all this is there, but if circumstances don't provide opportunity, it needn't even come up or can just be hinted at. Or, heck, only come up if he's killed and his horror-cabinet is discovered. And I'm fine with that. That's a good bit of retrospective horror.

History:
Adam was born to ordinary parents in an ordinary town. He grew up without any notable incidents, began a medical education and thanks to excellent grades quickly graduated, then proceeded right into the field of neuro-surgery whilst taking up psychotherapy studies. He completed licenses for both and proceeded to practice them for a decade before he moved into academics, where he largely taught psychology.

He was invited to Nightwood Falls for the semester, to replace the recently deceased Dr. Carl Hill until a permanent replacement could be found.

GM territory
If you want to imagine the true story, just insert those one-second cuts on terrifying horror-gore accompanied by screaming after every other sentence above.

Quirks:

• Medical Science: Do you need someone to put you back together after an axe chop from a psycho zombie-clown? Help rehabilitate you, give you therapy for your weird psychological issues about dream-killers with claw hands or just proscribe the right psychopharmaceutica? Call Doc Mallory!

• Self-Control: Dr. Mallory is calm, precise and in control. Whatever the situation, he is someone who can be relied upon.
GM territory

These are his actual quirks:

• Radical Science: Do you need someone to put together a human centipede? An easy home-deliver lobotomy? A Drug With Totally No Sideffects No Really We Promise(tm) to take all the pain away? Or maybe you're boring and just need someone to clean your wounds and put you back together? All that and more, just call Doctor Mallory!

But don't wait too long, or he may call you instead!

• Complete Psycho: Under the veneer of normalcy, Dr. Mallory is completely amoral and able to lie or even murder someone without a single spike in his heartrate. Whatever the situation, he will always be able to respond with a methodical approach.

• Does Not Die When Killed: Wait, what's this? Something supernatural about this completely mundane character? Yes. Kind of. He's so twisted that, if killed during these events, he'll come back as a full-on monster right out of Hellraiser! This is not necessarily going to happen and he'll certainly try his very best to survive

I'm not adding an extra Flaw for this, since it's basically a 'change character type option' and won't be relevant most of the time. Though if it comes up, the Completely Rejects The Supernatural will not really be relevant anymore, so I'll come up with something else based on the circumstances of his death.

Flaws:

• Completely Rejects The Supernatural: Dr. Mallory has no time for superstitious nonsense. He can't even be bothered to remember the most basic bits of supernatural lore and will always believe that only science has the answer, regardless of any and all evidence to the contrary.

• Invincibility Syndrome: Dr. Mallory is often blind to danger to his own self. He'll mingle with convicted felons or in a war camp and consider himself as safe as anywhere else. Doctors don't get sick, didn't you know?

Link your O&O: Here, though not too relevant for this character. (will fix link once I'm not posting from my phone.)

Specify Ons: Science, of course!

Specify Hard Offs: Sex. For the character, anyway. The only thing that should penetrate warm flesh is a sterilized scalpel, along the marked line. OOC I'm going to go with bodily waste.

Sexuality: Asexual, but drawn to people passionate about medical science and the human mind.

Content Level: Hell

Death?  Yes, Nightmare to Hell (gore and even vore is fine, as long as it's not trying to be erotic or in super-slow detail).

Face Claim: Jeffrey Combs

Surprise GM Events: Yes.

Connections: University Faculty, psychology students, therapy recipients
Now this is the Law of the Jungle-
as old and as true as the sky;
And the Wolf that shall keep it may  prosper,
but the Wolf that shall break it must die.

-Rudyard Kipling, "The Law of the Jungle"
O&O

Totoro

I know I already have one monster but would it be okay to get to work on a profile for the second one? I promise to stop with the monsters there!

Particularly after seeing a psychology professor I still really want to get onto the lovecraftian psychological horror creature.

FarFetched

Hmm, I dunno Wukong. Rel is free to correct me, but I think we're already getting a worryingly high ratio of monsters to victims/main characters. That's not a bad thing, since it means people are very interested in the game, but if the monsters outnumber the victims there might be no one to scare! It might be a good idea to hold off on using that second monster slot for a bit, just so everyone who wants a monster can at least get one in!

Of course, I ain't the boss of ya. That's just my opinion!

Whowhatwhere

Quote from: Rel Mayer on September 06, 2016, 05:07:16 PM
I wanna stray away from immortality, if that's alright with you. Because I don't like the idea that monsters can kill people, but people can't fight back. So as long as you're alright with giving him definite weaknesses--the idea would work for me!

He sounds like he could be one of the Knowing... or possibly tied to a knowing in one way or another. Let me know what your thought process is and what you end up coming up with, but a fallen angel will totally work.

Hm. How about in mortal form on this plane, as part of his punishment? But still with powers. His death would simply send him back to whence he came, not truly dead, but out of the game for all intents and purposes. What really needs to happen, in order for him to "lose" this cosmic game of monster chess, would be to corrupt him. So it's sort of an origin story for this guy. I expect him to succumb to temptation.
The O's and the A's --- AFK every weekend

Rel Mayer

Quote from: Sun Wukong on September 07, 2016, 02:27:13 AM
I was going for that sick, creepy vibe without being a big strong monster. I tend to find the methodical, surgical things scarier. I think it just feels more cold blooded and heartless. Although both kinds of monster absolutely have a place in horror. I also wanted to give it a 'Was human' feel but also make it very far detached from humanity. Honestly I think I'm going to creep myself out most of the time I post for it.

Well, isn't that the whole point? >:) Personally, I love giving myself the creepy chills while posting in horror. It's why I love group games like this! :)

Quote from: Relikai on September 07, 2016, 02:30:10 AM
Interested! Will come up with a char when inspiration hits!

Sounds great, Relikai! Let me know anything you may need from me to draft a character. :)

@Everyone else:

I'm going to respond back to the other questions and a few of the PMs I have gotten here in a moment. I'm kinda working on stuff for this in between work tasks today.

But as for the comment about more monsters than main characters: Yes, right now we are in dire need of some people willing to play knowing, victims, main characters. I know I will have one knowing, one main character, and one victim NPC (who will be Gary Tennison! SHERIFF OF NIGHTWOOD HERE TO FAIL TERRIBLY EVERY YEAR!)

Is it bad that I get -most- excited about playing him? >:)

I'll also be using my old character Roxie, with a revamped to be a journalism student in this particular version of the game. The only character I have that is changing is Isabella--who is now Maven but still a Knowing character. She'll also have a few monster qualities to her, so it's an example of the hybrid knowing/monster mentioned in the FAQ.

I'll have those sheets up shortly so you can get an example of where my thought processes is.

And yes, everyone else I'll be getting to your comments, questions, and concerns shortly!

VonDoom

Any chance for some links to the old stuff, for those poor unfortunate souls who haven't had the pleasure?  :-)

O&O

Relikai

A main char is who I am thinking of. A young model, female... You know, a must in every horror story :p

Rel Mayer

Quote from: VonDoom on September 07, 2016, 07:18:09 AM
Hrmm. Lots of monsters around already. Time to propose a nice, normal character. And from the looks of things, we can definitely use a doctor! Well, doctor … and visiting Professor of Psychology. Go, go, go!
And yes, I realize I keep switching between Doctor and Professor down below. He's both, lemme alone! ;_;

Name: Professor Adam Mallory, MD

Character Type: Main Character

Occupation:  Professor of Psychology, visiting; medical doctor, psychiatrist and licensed neuro-surgeon.

Physical Description:

Personality:
Professor Mallory is a willful academic, with little time for lazy students but an always open ear to motivated ones who show genuine interest.  A very driven man who was considered one of the up and coming rising stars that would revolutionize the medical field, he has few actual accomplishments to his name despite his sterling reputation.

He is determined to forceful in his interactions, but always with a polite note.
He staunchly believes in logic and science, with no time for or interest in the supernatural.

GM Territory
Behind his more mild-mannered facade, he is an extremist who puts scientific advances over everything else. His views of what might constitute advancements or improvements are a bit skewed. How could they not, when your personal idol is one Doctor Joseph Mengele?

What is the line that separates human from monster? A very fine one and Prof. Mallory has walked it for decades. It is, after all, hard to show off your actual, revolutionary results when your real scientific ambitions are something right out of a horror show.

To put things into perspective: after years of creative neuro surgery combined with amoral hypnotic techniques inflicted in relatively ordinary patients, he has perfected a very effective procedure with minimal after-effects, aside of course from the intended blind obedience to anyone using the proper code-words. It only involves hypno-therapy combined with a bit of lobotomy.

Now for the perspective part: he considers it a boring necessity. So few people are normally inclined to help him with the more creative experiments, after all. So he took it upon himself to make some.

Thing is, all this is there, but if circumstances don't provide opportunity, it needn't even come up or can just be hinted at. Or, heck, only come up if he's killed and his horror-cabinet is discovered. And I'm fine with that. That's a good bit of retrospective horror.

History:
Adam was born to ordinary parents in an ordinary town. He grew up without any notable incidents, began a medical education and thanks to excellent grades quickly graduated, then proceeded right into the field of neuro-surgery whilst taking up psychotherapy studies. He completed licenses for both and proceeded to practice them for a decade before he moved into academics, where he largely taught psychology.

He was invited to Nightwood Falls for the semester, to replace the recently deceased Dr. Carl Hill until a permanent replacement could be found.

GM territory
If you want to imagine the true story, just insert those one-second cuts on terrifying horror-gore accompanied by screaming after every other sentence above.

Quirks:

• Medical Science: Do you need someone to put you back together after an axe chop from a psycho zombie-clown? Help rehabilitate you, give you therapy for your weird psychological issues about dream-killers with claw hands or just proscribe the right psychopharmaceutica? Call Doc Mallory!

• Self-Control: Dr. Mallory is calm, precise and in control. Whatever the situation, he is someone who can be relied upon.
GM territory

These are his actual quirks:

• Radical Science: Do you need someone to put together a human centipede? An easy home-deliver lobotomy? A Drug With Totally No Sideffects No Really We Promise(tm) to take all the pain away? Or maybe you're boring and just need someone to clean your wounds and put you back together? All that and more, just call Doctor Mallory!

But don't wait too long, or he may call you instead!

• Complete Psycho: Under the veneer of normalcy, Dr. Mallory is completely amoral and able to lie or even murder someone without a single spike in his heartrate. Whatever the situation, he will always be able to respond with a methodical approach.

• Does Not Die When Killed: Wait, what's this? Something supernatural about this completely mundane character? Yes. Kind of. He's so twisted that, if killed during these events, he'll come back as a full-on monster right out of Hellraiser! This is not necessarily going to happen and he'll certainly try his very best to survive

I'm not adding an extra Flaw for this, since it's basically a 'change character type option' and won't be relevant most of the time. Though if it comes up, the Completely Rejects The Supernatural will not really be relevant anymore, so I'll come up with something else based on the circumstances of his death.

Flaws:

• Completely Rejects The Supernatural: Dr. Mallory has no time for superstitious nonsense. He can't even be bothered to remember the most basic bits of supernatural lore and will always believe that only science has the answer, regardless of any and all evidence to the contrary.

• Invincibility Syndrome: Dr. Mallory is often blind to danger to his own self. He'll mingle with convicted felons or in a war camp and consider himself as safe as anywhere else. Doctors don't get sick, didn't you know?

Link your O&O: Here, though not too relevant for this character. (will fix link once I'm not posting from my phone.)

Specify Ons: Science, of course!

Specify Hard Offs: Sex. For the character, anyway. The only thing that should penetrate warm flesh is a sterilized scalpel, along the marked line. OOC I'm going to go with bodily waste.

Sexuality: Asexual, but drawn to people passionate about medical science and the human mind.

Content Level: Hell

Death?  Yes, Nightmare to Hell (gore and even vore is fine, as long as it's not trying to be erotic or in super-slow detail).

Face Claim: Jeffrey Combs

Surprise GM Events: Yes.

Connections: University Faculty, psychology students, therapy recipients

STUFFS
This is wonderful. I especially love that he may have the chance to come back as a monster if he is killed. I think that the Knowing are going to try and recruit him and convince him that supernatural does exist, so this could be a cool plot point for your character.

I'd have him listed as a Psychology Professor, rather than a Biology one--just because I know someone has a character concept that deals with a more Frankenstein type feel, but it would still be different from what you've put together. :)

Looks great! You're approved whenever I get the thread up.

Quote from: Sun Wukong on September 07, 2016, 07:40:12 AM
I know I already have one monster but would it be okay to get to work on a profile for the second one? I promise to stop with the monsters there!

Particularly after seeing a psychology professor I still really want to get onto the lovecraftian psychological horror creature.

You're more than welcome to make another monster, but I would request that you may consider making a Main Character or Knowing character. If you're not really into victims that's totally fine, but my personal request would be to level out the field a little bit.

I've noticed that in the past years people don't always 100% play all the monsters that they create, which is why I left two monster slots open for everyone. Hope that helps answer your question!

Quote from: FarFetched on September 07, 2016, 07:54:39 AM
Hmm, I dunno Wukong. Rel is free to correct me, but I think we're already getting a worryingly high ratio of monsters to victims/main characters. That's not a bad thing, since it means people are very interested in the game, but if the monsters outnumber the victims there might be no one to scare! It might be a good idea to hold off on using that second monster slot for a bit, just so everyone who wants a monster can at least get one in!

Of course, I ain't the boss of ya. That's just my opinion!

And to elaborate on this. You do have a point, but I feel like (-crossing fingers-) more Main Characters/Knowing/Victims will start to appear. I'll have quite a few myself, and depending on what others are doing--I think we should be fine in balance.

If I notice that it becomes an issue--I'll work on fixing it right away. For now I think it should be fine, because people are always a bit more zealous about making the monsters in the beginning. :)

Quote from: Whowhatwhere on September 07, 2016, 07:56:44 AM

Hm. How about in mortal form on this plane, as part of his punishment? But still with powers. His death would simply send him back to whence he came, not truly dead, but out of the game for all intents and purposes. What really needs to happen, in order for him to "lose" this cosmic game of monster chess, would be to corrupt him. So it's sort of an origin story for this guy. I expect him to succumb to temptation.

That would work! But if he does go back to where he came--he would kinda also be out of the game. He could manifest into something different, but it would still need to have a sort of 'defeat' feel if they ever do beat your monster character.

Although... these are all what if scenarios. :)

Quote from: VonDoom on September 07, 2016, 11:41:23 AM
Any chance for some links to the old stuff, for those poor unfortunate souls who haven't had the pleasure?  :-)

I thought about including it, but... some of it may be confusing as I've changed a few things this year. Give me a moment and I can bring up the old character sheet threads, but the format of the game is no longer starting with normalcy turning into horror. We're going to dive right into the setting change and haunt when the game launches.

Quote from: Relikai on September 07, 2016, 11:44:53 AM
A main char is who I am thinking of. A young model, female... You know, a must in every horror story :p

Lemme guess... she has blonde hair and scared eyes too!? Haha!

GnothiSeauton

Quote from: Rel Mayer on September 07, 2016, 11:16:36 AM
But as for the comment about more monsters than main characters: Yes, right now we are in dire need of some people willing to play knowing, victims, main characters. I know I will have one knowing, one main character, and one victim NPC (who will be Gary Tennison! SHERIFF OF NIGHTWOOD HERE TO FAIL TERRIBLY EVERY YEAR!)

Is it bad that I get -most- excited about playing him? >:)

I'll also be using my old character Roxie, with a revamped to be a journalism student in this particular version of the game. The only character I have that is changing is Isabella--who is now Maven but still a Knowing character. She'll also have a few monster qualities to her, so it's an example of the hybrid knowing/monster mentioned in the FAQ.

I couldn't help but to laugh at that one...

I might be up for working something out with Roxie, Rel, if you're interested.  I'm sort of recycling another character from another group that I didn't get a chance to do much writing with.  Seem to have similar interests...

Main Character Sheet
Name:  Catherine Grant

Character Type: Main

Occupation:  A photographer for a major newspaper, from out of town.

Physical Description:  Catherine stands at about five feet, nine inches, with a slender and athletic form.  She possesses long, dark hair that matches her brown eyes.  A surgical scar is on her upper right forearm as result of a bullet wound.

Personality: A Battle-Hardened Civilian would be the best way to describe Catherine.  Friendly and sociable to a point among others, there is an underlying discomfort when it comes to having to deal and be around people who have lived a seemingly normal life.  She is a tough woman, used to dealing with the realities of combat without ever really having fired a gun in her life.  From the front lines of a combat zone, to the medical tents, from among the guerrilla combat soldiers in revolution-torn streets, to the dark and dank basements filled with the screaming wounded in a make-shift hospital.  Her experiences, however toughening mentally and physically they may have been, were not without their defects.  PTSD is something she struggles with on occasion.  Normally it is something she has grown accustomed to, something she has been able to get a handle on in life, but there are times, more than a few times, when it is too much to hold in and push off into the back of her mind.  

History: Catherine is a photojournalist for a major newspaper.  Her love of photography started at a young age, going through disposable cameras like candy in capturing images of life around her.  It helped to sustain her through high school, providing the job she loved during the long summers by photographing weddings, houses for sale, business, and the like.

As she moved out of her family's house in Philadelphia suburbs for the city, it was there that her career skyrocketed.  Her work caught the eye of editors of a major newspaper, and it was from there that she was hired and brought on to help capture images of the world.

In her work, she had been taken all over the world.  Combat situations in the Middle East.  Terrorist bombings.  Democratic revolutions.  Presidential visits.  In more than a few occasions did she get close to being nominated for her work, close to becoming an award winning photographer.  

Behind the scenes though, Catherine struggled with the effects of Post Traumatic Stress Disorder from her times in such stressful, dangerous situations.  It was after her last recent trip overseas that she's taken a leave of absence, to help gather herself and her thoughts, while channeling her energies and therapy in the form of more peaceful photography.  It's her goal of creating a photo book of images from around the United States that depict Americana that brings her to Nightwood.

A random stop on the map on her travels, the much-talked about science fair by the locals brings her there with her camera.

Quirks:

• No Stranger to Stressful Environments:  Experience from her career.  She's been in combat situations, embedded with troops, in cities that were in full riot mode, etc.
  • Physically Fit and Some Combat Training:  Another perk of the job.  It requires her to be fit, able to run for her life if needed, and has forced her to undergo some combat training to be in war zones and the like.

Flaws:

• PTSD:  Effects of her career have taken a mental toll.  It's made her awkward sometimes around people, and can be debilitating in some rare instances.
  • Pills:  A secret addiction that's been growing over the years.  For some time, pharmaceuticals have been the only escape she's had when things become too tough for her.

Link your O&O: Link

Specify Ons:  Nothing off the top of my head.

Specify Hard Offs:  Fine with gore and blood and guts.  Would like to not be involved in poo stuff if that happens, but agreeable to most things.

Sexuality:  Predominantly heterosexual.

Content Level:  Hell yeah

Death? (Y/N) Degree of Death? (Normal, Nightmare, Hell):  Yes, but after discussion, and if it is a fitting death.  Hell is fine with me, but again, it would have to be after discussion.

Face Claim?:  Stoya

Surprise GM Events?: Yes

Connections?:  N/A at the moment.  Open to most anything, from friends, even family if you want to work on something like that, possible romance, enemies, monster's obsession, etc.  PM me if you would like to work something out.  I don't bite!
If I can't have you, my love...  I'll destroy you
~World Building Workshop ~ Current Ideas and Requests  ~
~ Preferences ~ Status  ~ Nightmares and Inspirations~
~Gnothi's Stories Without Homes~
A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies... The man who never reads lives only one.

Seeking New Stories

Remiel

Catherine!!!  *grabby hands*   How does she keep getting herself into these situations?

VonDoom

.... want some therapy and/or a therapist to try and shill pills out of?  ;D

O&O

GnothiSeauton

Quote from: Remiel on September 07, 2016, 11:52:26 AM
Catherine!!!  *grabby hands*   How does she keep getting herself into these situations?

She does live an interesting life, I must say...

Quote from: VonDoom on September 07, 2016, 11:54:17 AM
.... want some therapy and/or a therapist to try and shill pills out of?  ;D

Haha...  I might be up for working something out.
If I can't have you, my love...  I'll destroy you
~World Building Workshop ~ Current Ideas and Requests  ~
~ Preferences ~ Status  ~ Nightmares and Inspirations~
~Gnothi's Stories Without Homes~
A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies... The man who never reads lives only one.

Seeking New Stories

Totoro

I'll get around to maybe a knowing or two after making a second monster. I pretty much suck at writing victims, although maybe I should try and learn by writing a main character. Got to start somewhere. I'll work on a character sheet for monster two and see where things go from there, thanks. Definitely going to be looking for potential victims/targets for both monsters.

TheDarkGoddess

I am very interested. If I do hop onboard I'm thinking a Main Character with an allowance for nightmare level mayhem as well as a Victim or Knowing, with an anything goes, bring it on, hell allowance. The second character I'm absolutely expecting to kick the bucket. I had an idea for my Main Character to have been lured there by a false friend, which was why I was thinking of taking on a Knowing character, but it would be more fun if someone else's character deceived mine rather than my own, so if someone was interested in that connection let me know. Just throwing out some ideas to get inspired, would love some feedback!

VonDoom

Quote from: GnothiSeauton on September 07, 2016, 11:55:42 AM
Haha...  I might be up for working something out.

Eeexcellent.  O:) Listen to my soooothing Jeffrey Combs voice, you know you want to.

https://youtu.be/6pLXfWlmalg

O&O