News:

"Forbidden Fruit [L-H]"
Congratulations Mellific & Swashbuckler for completing your RP!

Main Menu

Anyone know anything about IE 8?

Started by Blinkin, June 04, 2013, 07:06:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blinkin

Hello out there.

I hope that someone might be able to help me find a solution to this problem, although I seem to always get the unsolvable issues... why me!

Ok, a bit of information everyone will need to know.

1. I am running a dinosaur laptop with Windows XP. Upgrading to a newer operating system is not an option.
2. I am using Internet Explorer 8, and again, updating is not an option.
3. Due to a screen reader (Yes, I'm blind), switching to either Firefox or Google Chrome is an option. I tried that and it took a repair tech 3 days over 3 weeks to get the dinosaur laptop to work again.

The problem...

This started about a month ago, after I did a delete Temporary Internet Files, including cookies. At that time, one of the websites that I frequent fairly regularly and that requires that the computer be verified as belonging to ME dropped the verification system on me. This sight is a bank, FYI.

The verification was expected; I have to go through this process everytime I clear out my temps. What wasn't expected was that IE 8 would have kittens over the site and tell me "Internet Explorer has incountered a problem with this site and must be shut down."

Alternatively, I get an option to try to go back to the verification page, but that just locks IE 8 down and I have to restart the system.

This does generate an error report, and I fianlly got a look at the page itself today. the gest is that the page is being blocked due to a security certificate error... I assume that this is the problem that IE encountered before shutting down.

So... does anyone know how to either resolve the security certification error, or bypass it? I cannot access my account without going through this verification process and I have managed to stump every "expert" that the bank has. Again, the day before I cleared my cookies, I had gone to the site without difficulty. The same day that I deleted the cookies, everything happened. I CAN go to any other website that is in my favorites, pulled up on random searches and that I've been linked to. The system has been thoroughly searched and cleaned of anything that even hints at malware or spyware and I REALLY need to get this fixed. The Microsnot community information is nearly all in technese, which I barely can say "Help" in...

So... HELP!
"I am a Southern Gentleman, which means that I'm a rogue and a scoundrel. When I'm not kissin' the hands of married women, I'm slipping off their wedding rings."
My Ons' & offs'
Absenses & Apologies (Updated 3/02/23)
Blinkins' Thinkin's (Story Ideas)
Yes, I really am blind.
Being Literate is the ability to read and understand a language. When you ask for literate, what you are looking for is Verbosity, which is the ability to use lots of words without actually saying very much... like politicians. I consider myself both literate and verbose.

Oniya

Is it possible for you to capture the exact text of the error message?  I'm moderately fluent in translating techese, and there are others here who are proficient in it.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Blinkin

The exact wording (but not a copy/paste) are:

"To help protect your security Internet explorer has blocked this websitefrom displaying content with security certificate errors"

"Internet explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close"

Does that help? There is, as of recently, an error report, but I would have no idea of what, if anything that you would want/need from that. When I click "Details," It looks like someone's bad math homework. lol

"I am a Southern Gentleman, which means that I'm a rogue and a scoundrel. When I'm not kissin' the hands of married women, I'm slipping off their wedding rings."
My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.
Being Literate is the ability to read and understand a language. When you ask for literate, what you are looking for is Verbosity, which is the ability to use lots of words without actually saying very much... like politicians. I consider myself both literate and verbose.

Oniya

Heh - I know what you mean by that.

I'm going to see what I can glean with what you've given so far, but that error report might prove useful if I don't find anything.

Edit:  Silly question, but would you check to make sure your computer's date and time are set correctly, including the year?
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

Blinkin

The date and time are all set appropriately acording to the current day and time, using an Atomic Clcok for the exact time. So, unless a few seconds makes a difference, that's all correct.

Thanks.
My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.

Oniya

Nah, a few seconds is fine.  If the issue was with your computer clock, we'd be talking a difference of months or years.

Little more trouble-shooting:

When you get the message, is there a link saying 'Click here for options', or anything that says 'Display certificate'?

Blinkin

Says it, yes. "Click Her", but I can't actually see it, nor can I click it. The page does "show" it's contents, but ala links buttons and so on are inactive.
My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.

Oniya

Okay, let's try something else then.  From the 'View' menu, select 'Security Report'.  It should be towards the bottom of the menu.  This should bring up a small window about Website Identification, and there should be a link at the bottom that enables you to access the certificate screen.

Vekseid

PM me and/or Oreo a link to the site in question?

Blinkin

Quote from: Oniya on June 04, 2013, 10:30:19 PM
Okay, let's try something else then.  From the 'View' menu, select 'Security Report'.  It should be towards the bottom of the menu.  This should bring up a small window about Website Identification, and there should be a link at the bottom that enables you to access the certificate screen.

Do you mean when I try to do the verification page? At that point, I cannot access any of the menues as long as the page is active. If you mean when I go to the log in page, I'll give it a try.
My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.

Oniya

Try it from the login page.  I'd hope that they use the same certificate for the whole site, and it's just when you try to go into a secure area that it gets picky.

Blinkin

Ok, bad news on the view menu and security report.

It did see a certificate, although it didn't give any information on who it was issued to. It is an SSL, which is more than I knew before.

I did install the certificate, but it didn't have any effect on the verification page. So... plan C-21475?

I wish that they could just do it remotely or bypass it, but they say that they can't do that, the system won't allow it... so... I'm frustrated anyway. lol
My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.

Oniya

Nothing that said 'Issued By:' or 'Valid From:' either?

Blinkin

Oh! Yes, there was some information on the issuer and the dates issued.

The isuer was global... damn, for got the rest of the name...

The certificat date was May 5, 2013-September 2017. That was really the only information in the window.
My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.

Oniya

Hrm.  I was hoping that it would indicate a problem with the certificate date (and then the 'Install Certificate' might have fixed it), but I think it's odd that it doesn't show who the certificate is issued to.

Found a diagnostic tool that might get us some more information:

http://www.digicert.com/help/

What it will ask for is the first part of your bank's website (something like www. yourbankhere. com)

Blinkin

No certificate found... so... considering the messages provided... which option should I go for? I'm an idiot with these things.
My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.

Vekseid

I can't even get to the site you linked me, haven't been able to for days. So I can't say much on it unfortunately : /

Oniya

Veks - do you think there's something wonky about the fact that there's no 'Issued To:' on the security certificate? 

Blinkin

Hmmm... Let me resend the link to the site...

The link that was offered to search for the security Certificate didn't find one at all... so I need to call the bank and ask if they even have one.

Would the fact that there is noone listed in the issued to area create a error? I suppose that if there isn't a certificate would also, although if there isn't one, ther shouldn't be an error since it doesn't exist...

Anyway...
My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.

Vekseid

Quote from: Oniya on June 08, 2013, 12:14:32 AM
Veks - do you think there's something wonky about the fact that there's no 'Issued To:' on the security certificate?

There is - it's a Cloudflare cert. Has a ridiculous number of domains added to it, etc.

Unfortunately with my desktop dead I don't have my vms anymore to test IE8 with to see what it says directly. Might do to call them and ask if they still test with ie8. Though with so many companies dropping ie8 support, I would suggest looking for solutions sooner rather than later. The cheapest and perhaps most long-term solution might be chromebook + chromevox, but you may need to ask around.

Blinkin

Unfortunately, chrome doesn't play with my screen reader, so even if it were to work, it would be a useless package on the computer because I couldn't use it. *sighs*

The bank does support IE 8 still, a long talk with their techies confirmed that... so... Monday morning, a call and ask about the security certificate and if that would produce the errors. Seems likely... which brings up the question why IE 9 doesn't hit the wall, firefox and chrom doesn't... and is there some way to turn it off in IE 8?
My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.

Moraline

Blinkin

Quote from: Moraline on June 08, 2013, 10:33:11 AM
Sent you a PM, Blinkin.

Responded. Thanks! :)

I sometimes forget that my brother and I actually know some of the same people around here.
My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.

Vekseid

One think you might want to try, if you haven't already, is to go to Windows Update, and select, from the optionals list, 'root certificates update'

Vekseid

Quote from: Blinkin on June 08, 2013, 09:40:05 AM
Unfortunately, chrome doesn't play with my screen reader, so even if it were to work, it would be a useless package on the computer because I couldn't use it. *sighs*

The bank does support IE 8 still, a long talk with their techies confirmed that... so... Monday morning, a call and ask about the security certificate and if that would produce the errors. Seems likely... which brings up the question why IE 9 doesn't hit the wall, firefox and chrom doesn't... and is there some way to turn it off in IE 8?

Chromevox is Chrome's screen reader. You'd need to get that setup on it first somehow, if you were just using chrome as in the browser.

Blinkin

Quote from: Vekseid on June 08, 2013, 04:04:57 PM
One think you might want to try, if you haven't already, is to go to Windows Update, and select, from the optionals list, 'root certificates update'

Thanks for the suggestion. I've already tried that and it didn't help. *sighs* I'm starting to give serious thought that it's not on my end... just convincing the bank techies that it's not on my end...
My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.