News:

"Wings and a Prayer [L-E]"
Congratulations OfferedToEros & Random for completing your RP!

Main Menu

Your favorite quote.

Started by Thesunmaid, June 30, 2014, 10:29:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thesunmaid

I have been collecting quotes and sayings since I was 15.  I currently have a book which is 169 pages and I just added number 1847 the other day.

So I was wondering if anyone wanted to share any of their favorites with me. I would love to add to my book. :)

Here's a few of my newest ones.

I would be unstoppable if it was not for law enforcement and physics.

I don't want you to save me. I want you to stand by me as I save myself

We are a little weird and life's a little weird and when we find someone whose weirdness is compatible with ours we join up with them and fall into mutual weirdness and call it love.
Some mornings its just not worth chewing through the leather straps.
Current Status for posts: working on them Current Status for RP:Tentatively looking

Dice

Most quotes I care about are political in nature, so this is likely not the best place for them. But if I have to point to a favourite, it's in my signature.

Monkeys Razor

I have a few that really resonate with me.

Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself.
Leo Tolstoy

I sit on a man's back, choking him and making him carry me, and yet assure myself and others that I am very sorry for him and wish to ease his lot by all possible means - except by getting off his back.
Leo Tolstoy

It is amazing how complete is the delusion that beauty is goodness.
Leo Tolstoy

Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
George Orwell

If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever.
George Orwell

Who controls the past controls the future. Who controls the present controls the past.
George Orwell

So much of left-wing thought is a kind of playing with fire by people who don't even know that fire is hot.
George Orwell

“The Fascists of the future will be the anti-fascists.” Winston Churchill.

yuki92

i've done that too, but i lost that book of mine when we're moving away.. too bad...

My favourite quote mainly come from entertainment world and anime...  ;D

The things one could do may vary from every person but I think each of us has something we could do

Dreams do come true, but how it is realized might be more or less than what you had expected

maybe i'll add more later...

Shjade

"He had delusions of adequacy."

- Walter Kerr
Theme: Make Me Feel - Janelle Monáe
◕/◕'s
Conversation is more useful than conversion.

Iniquitous

My manner of thinking, so you say, cannot be approved. Do you suppose I care? A poor fool indeed is he who adopts a manner of thinking for others!
~Marquis de Sade

Happiness lies neither in vice nor in virtue; but in the manner we appreciate the one and the other, and the choice we make pursuant to our individual organization.
~Marquis de Sade

Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one who gets burned.
~Buddha

No one saves us but ourselves. No one can and no one may. We ourselves must walk the path.
~Buddha

We are what we think. All that we are arises with our thoughts. With our thoughts, we make the world.
~Buddha

Bow to the Queen; I'm the Alpha, the Omega, everything in between.

Beguile's Mistress

I have two.  One is an old Spanish proverb.  "Living well is the best revenge."  The other is by Ivana Trump who was wonderful with the pithy comeback.  "Don't get mad.  Get everything!"

However, this one from the OP really resonates with me.
Quote from: thesunmaid on June 30, 2014, 10:29:27 PM
I don't want you to save me. I want you to stand by me as I save myself
All to often people try to fight a fight that isn't theirs and fail miserably.

Kevben Battleheart

Norse sayings are kind of an obsession of mine. May not be that many, but they can be wise, such as:

The foolish man thinks he will live forever if he keeps away from fighting; but old age won't grant him a truce, even if the spears do.
The Saga of Battleheart (O/O's)The Vault of Victory  ♥
The World of Adalern (currently closed to critiquing)
Tell one your thoughts, but beware of two. All know what is known to three.
Thought for the week: Harden your soul against decadence, but do not despise it for the soft appearance of the decadent may be deceiving.

Strifesblaze7

Heresy is the ultimate divinity.
Me

Is there a point where nobody cares

Observing Trifles

"If the good lord had intended us to walk, he wouldn't have invented roller skates."

- Willy Wonka
|| the hunt ||

my, my, those eyes like fire;
i'm a winged insect, you're a funeral pyre.
come now, bite through these wires;
i'm a waking hell and the gods grow tired.

GoodeGirl123

Quotes are such a lovely thing to collect.

Some of my favorites are from Erica Jong -

"You take your life in your own hands, and what happens? A terrible thing: no one to blame."

"Everyone has talent. What is rare is the courage to follow the talent to the dark place where it leads."

Valthazar

"The heights by great men, reached and kept, were not attained by sudden flight, but they, while their companions slept, were toiling upward in the night."

- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Euron Greyjoy

“And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.” Friedrich Nietzsche

"The souls of emperors and cobblers are cast in the same mold. The same reason that makes us wrangle with a neighbour causes a war betwixt princes."
Michel Eyquem de Montaigne

"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." Plato
"The Devil is in the details, and that's where you'll find me."

"The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.

"There is no such thing as status quo when it comes to relationships. You either come closer together or drift further apart."

https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=209937.0

Inkidu

"Who we are is but a stepping stone to what we can become." Transhumanism's defacto motto.

"Those who play with the Devil's toys will be brought by degrees to wield his sword." Buckminster Fuller.

"Sex without love is merely healthy exercise." Robert A. Heinlein

"Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done." Robert A. Heienlein.

"Find a place inside where there's joy, and the joy will burn out the pain." Joseph Campbell.

"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are." Joseph Campbell.

"There is nothing like a dream to create the future." Victor Hugo.

If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Saidi

“Laughter is the shortest distance between two people.”

― Victor Borge

Love it so much, it's in my signature.
Laughter is the shortest distance between two people. --Victor Borge

Help me revive my muse?

Mikem

Every living thing has the capacity for hatred.
It's just a matter of how much we can take, before we fall.
"The road to Hell is paved with good intentions. So why not take the scenic route?"

My Ons & Offs

Madriv

"You talk about the weight of what you have to do, how you can handle it.  A bad man, someone truly evil, they’re light as a feather. They don’t feel a thing.”

Beguile's Mistress

"For those who do evil things even a sense of satisfaction is fleeting and carried off like desiccated flotsam on the wind." Unknown

kylie

"Even monkeys fall from the trees."

猿も木から落ちる。  (Japanese)

Saru mo ki kara ochiru.   

A hint of shrugging "nobody's perfect," but also a touch of quiet warning:  Even the best will fail.  No matter how skilled you think you have become, try not to get too dang puffy about it all.   ::)

Missy

THIS

IS

A

QUOTE!

*kicks you into a pit*

Mikem

"Love is a farce. They tell you it's forever."
"The road to Hell is paved with good intentions. So why not take the scenic route?"

My Ons & Offs

TheDude

Wherever you go, there you are.

--Peter Weller from Buckaroo Bonzai

Beguile's Mistress

"Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results."
   ~~  Albert Einstein

Mikem

When all that is life, but cruel and brutal to you, why should you be any different.

My Ons & Offs