What do you prefer as a pet?

Started by Kenshin, January 08, 2010, 02:13:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jag

Quote from: Raveled on January 09, 2010, 07:09:00 AM
Cats are nice because they don't take much work, especially if you get two.

In my own opinion...this kind of thinking bothers me a bit. Cats need to be trained just as much as dogs. They are very smart animals and need to be mentally stimulated. It takes a lot of work to train a cat properly.

Yes, you can just get two and let them roam around the house...but why waste their intelligence? They love to be outside and play. If you train them they can do all sorts of things. I had two leash trained cats that would walk around the neighborhood with me. They can be taught to sit, play dead, everything a dog can...it just takes a lot more work.

Cats, again my own opinion, take a lot more work than a dog because they tend to do what they want to do more than dogs. You can make a dog fear you, not so easy to do with most cats.

*not wanting to start a debate or anything...just wanting to state what I think about cats*
Ons/Offs // Request Thread (Updated 3/10/24) // Slow to Reply at the Moment

Goss

Saerrael

D'aaw.. mini horse? That's so cute.

Rainsinger

I have two kitties right now, but would love to get a dog.

Someday I think I'd really like to get a Ragdoll breed of kitty.  They're supposed to be super cuddly and love being held, and if I have one complaint about my current kitties, they don't like to be cuddled much.  I need my kitty cuddles!!!

Nico

A while ago, I took the cats of my friend. He went on a very long overseas trip for work, and since I'm a nice guy, I agreed to take care of them since he didn't want to give them into a shelter. I've never been overly fond of cats. And, about two or three weeks later, my eyes started to tear almost constantly, I sneezed a lot and now and then I had issues with breathing right. My boyfriend just looked at me and told me that those look like allergic reactions. I went and got tested and it turned out that I am, in fact, allergic to cats and some other rodents like guinea pigs, hamsters and rabbits.
I gave the two cats to another friend, she adores them.

So, yes, if anything, I'd want a dog. A huge one, too. Labrador, German Shepard, something like this.

Beguile's Mistress

First, I have to say that I read the topic "What do you prefer as apet?" then looked over to click the last post icon and saw 'Nicholas.'  Iinstantly thought, "Okay! if I were into that."

Quote from: Nicholas on January 10, 2010, 02:39:03 AM
A while ago, I took the cats of my friend. He went on a very long overseas trip for work, and since I'm a nice guy, I agreed to take care of them since he didn't want to give them into a shelter. I've never been overly fond of cats. And, about two or three weeks later, my eyes started to tear almost constantly, I sneezed a lot and now and then I had issues with breathing right. My boyfriend just looked at me and told me that those look like allergic reactions. I went and got tested and it turned out that I am, in fact, allergic to cats and some other rodents like guinea pigs, hamsters and rabbits.
I gave the two cats to another friend, she adores them.

So, yes, if anything, I'd want a dog. A huge one, too. Labrador, German Shepard, something like this.

I can understand your feelings since I'm allergic to cats too and once had such a bad reaction my eye swelled shut, but that doesn't make them rodents.  :)

I recommend an Irish Woflhound ~ huge, fierce looking but cuddly and easy to take care of.

Nico

Quote from: Beguile's Mistress on January 10, 2010, 03:14:19 AM
First, I have to say that I read the topic "What do you prefer as apet?" then looked over to click the last post icon and saw 'Nicholas.'  Iinstantly thought, "Okay! if I were into that."

I can understand your feelings since I'm allergic to cats too and once had such a bad reaction my eye swelled shut, but that doesn't make them rodents.  :)

I recommend an Irish Woflhound ~ huge, fierce looking but cuddly and easy to take care of.
Yeah, the 'other' was a typo.
And I really would get a dog, but I'm working and the dog would be alone for a huge part of the day, and, my apartment really isn't that huge. ~chuckles~  But yes, Irish wolfhounds are great!

Chris Brady

My O&Os Peruse at your doom.

So I make a A&A thread but do I put it here?  No.  Of course not.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

Mnemaxa

I rather liked my Emperor Scorpion....he was quite friendly.

The Well of my Dreams is Poisoned; I draw off the Poison, which becomes the Ink of my Authorship, the Paint upon my Brush.

Lilias

I'm entirely, incurably a cat person. I like pedigree cats, although I find shows rather sad occasions. But if I were to actually bring a cat home, which is not feasible in the foreseeable future, I'd pick a moggy from a shelter. Mixed breeds are healthier, more long-lived, and if they've done time in the streets and survived it, they're guaranteed smarter as well.
To go in the dark with a light is to know the light.
To know the dark, go dark. Go without sight,
and find that the dark, too, blooms and sings,
and is traveled by dark feet and dark wings.
~Wendell Berry

Double Os <> Double As (updated Feb 20) <> The Hoard <> 50 Tales 2024 <> The Lab <> ELLUIKI

Combustible

Quote from: Mnemaxa on January 12, 2010, 02:13:33 AM
I rather liked my Emperor Scorpion....he was quite friendly.

I've always wanted one of these.

Only because I want it to defend me against my roommates evil tarantula. I hate spiders with a passion.
Unbreakable.
.Make me Combust.

TheWriter

I used to have a dog, a big Alsatian.  We got him as a guard dog but he was a big old softy to the family.

Having said that, if I were to get a pet in the future, it would be the same; for functionality over preference.  But at the same time, I wouldn't get another dog.  Which is why I'm hoping that in the future I could somehow be able to keep a pet tiger.  Train it from cub, keep it inside, figure out a way to not have it eat guests...

consortium11

Quote from: TheWriter on January 12, 2010, 08:07:17 AM
I used to have a dog, a big Alsatian.  We got him as a guard dog but he was a big old softy to the family.

Having said that, if I were to get a pet in the future, it would be the same; for functionality over preference.  But at the same time, I wouldn't get another dog.  Which is why I'm hoping that in the future I could somehow be able to keep a pet tiger.  Train it from cub, keep it inside, figure out a way to not have it eat guests...

Reminds me slightly of this heartwarming story.

Christian The Lion - Reunited - From "The View"

Beguile's Mistress

I remember seeing that some time ago and actually have the video on my YouTube playlist.  I think the men went back again a year or so later and Christian still recognized them. 

No matter how often I see it I still tear up.

The7thKeeper

Quote from: Saerra on January 10, 2010, 12:15:26 AM
D'aaw.. mini horse? That's so cute.

There is actually a group around here that's training miniature horses to act as seeing eyes for blind people, like dogs. They say the training takes just as long as with dogs, but the horses live longer, so they are a better option in that regard.

Avis habilis

Quote from: Raveled on January 09, 2010, 07:09:00 AMCats are nice because they don't take much work, especially if you get two.

Depends on the breed. Longhairs need frequent brushing. Maine Coons have a genetic predisposition to gum disease, so I've got to brush their teeth every night. Plus it's a good idea to clip their claws if you don't want your furniture, clothes or legs perforated.

BlindEye

I vote for cats.  I had dogs growing up, but cats are soooo much easier to take care of.

I love the fact that I can just enjoy the sound of rain coming down or seeing snow outside.  I don't have to wonder "Crap, I have to walk the dog in that."

I know, I'm lazy.
"Knowing others is intelligence, knowing yourself is true wisdom.  Mastering others is strength, mastering yourself is enlightenment."  Lao Tzu
"I count him braver who overcomes his own desires than him who conquers his enemies; for the hardest victory is over self."  Aristotle
"Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it.  Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it.  Begin now."  Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
"The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher regard those who think alike than those who think differently."  Friedrich Nietzsche

Rainsinger

Quote from: BlindEye on January 15, 2010, 06:54:35 PM
I love the fact that I can just enjoy the sound of rain coming down or seeing snow outside.  I don't have to wonder "Crap, I have to walk the dog in that."

ROFL!!  Good point!