Uplifting / Positive News Stories

Started by Blythe, September 23, 2016, 12:14:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

midnightblack

Nothing like kicking off a Monday morning with a healthy dose of schadenfreude. ^^

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-45779107

So, the hopeless idiots screwing my country over for the past 30 years or so and their puppet-masters in Russia figured out that by far the most urgent problem that needs addressing is a clearer statement of the way a family is defined in the Constitution. Right now it says 'marriage between partners', but they figured it has to say 'marriage between a man and a woman', because apparently we're still in the Dark Ages over here.  ::)

Anyway, what followed was about 35 million $ spent on the referendum alone and several weeks of the most sickening campaign against Western decadence, the LGBT monsters that want to steal our children and sell their organs and other such demented topics, spearheaded by politicians from all parties and the church. At the end of it all, basically nobody showed up to vote, thus sending the debacle straight into the dust bin of history.

As for the people behind it, do humanity a service and foad pls? ^^
The Midnight Lodge (O2 thread & completed tales compendium)
Thy Nightly Chambers (requests) updated!
Amazonia Mythos (world-building details for some of my recurring themes and characters; can always serve as a starting point for discussions of collaborative writing)
Zerzura (albeit short, the best collaborative story I've ever completed here)

Blythe

Misread the article at first, gah. Had a post here but removed it to reflect I'd misread. <_<

So in other words, a referendum meant to hurt marriage equality failed? That is good. Though it is sad that either way this is something that had no real impact on the current state of LGBT rights, since Romania does not allow gay marriage or civil unions anyway.

midnightblack

Quote from: Blythe on October 07, 2018, 09:29:11 PM
So in other words, a referendum meant to hurt marriage equality failed? That is good. Though it is sad that either way this is something that had no real impact on the current state of LGBT rights, since Romania does not allow gay marriage or civil unions anyway.

Precisely. It was nonsense to begin with. The conditions for marriage are stated quite clearly in legal terms, this was just nitpicking on a detail that was of no real consequence. There are many very serious problems that need addressing in this country (civil unions being one of them), but for whatever reason they always get sidelined by topics such as this one.

However, if the referendum had been successful for the organizers, it would have empowered them to continue pressing on with the anti-Western, anti-democratic and quite frankly retarded agenda. 
The Midnight Lodge (O2 thread & completed tales compendium)
Thy Nightly Chambers (requests) updated!
Amazonia Mythos (world-building details for some of my recurring themes and characters; can always serve as a starting point for discussions of collaborative writing)
Zerzura (albeit short, the best collaborative story I've ever completed here)

Lustful Bride

Lustful Bride

Jaclyn

Asimov’s Three Laws of Robotics

0. A robot may not harm humanity, or, by inaction, allow humanity to come to harm.
1. A robot may not injure a human being or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.
2. A robot must obey the orders given it by human beings except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.
3. A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Laws.

Would A BDSM Sex Robot Violate Asimov’s First Law Of Robotics?

Beguile's Mistress

You would have to educate the robot that BDSM activities benefit the human but only when the specific human gives the proper command to the robot.  Only the specific human could do the educating and the human would need to be careful of what is required.

Jaclyn

Lustful Bride

Quote from: Jaclyn on October 11, 2018, 05:20:48 AM

0. A robot may not harm humanity, or, by inaction, allow humanity to come to harm.
1. A robot may not injure a human being or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.
2. A robot must obey the orders given it by human beings except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.
3. A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Laws.

That makes me think that the Robot Uprising will look like Hellraiser instead of Terminator. I am now more afraid. X3

Deamonbane

Quote from: Lustful Bride on October 11, 2018, 06:46:04 AM
That makes me think that the Robot Uprising will look like Hellraiser instead of Terminator. I am now more afraid. X3
*dies*
Angry Sex: Because it's Impolite to say," You pissed me off so much I wanna fuck your brains out..."

Oniya

I mean, it's really the Sadism part that would need to be sussed out ('harm' definitions would need to be sorted out - is something that leaves bruises 'harm'?).  Dominance to a lesser degree (Robot giving a human 'orders' could get problematic).  Bondage doesn't violate any of the laws (as long as there's a panic release).  Masochism might brush against Rule 4 (allowing a human to 'harm' the robot.)
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

gaggedLouise

Quote from: Lustful Bride on October 11, 2018, 06:46:04 AM

I thought the Robot Uprising would end with robots marching in goose-step to "The Robots", with some caged humans watching. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-wop47G2qeY

Good girl but bad  -- Proud sister of the amazing, blackberry-sweet Violet Girl

Sometimes bound and cuntrolled, sometimes free and easy 

"I'm a pretty good cook, I'm sitting on my groceries.
Come up to my kitchen, I'll show you my best recipes"

Blythe

Quote from: Jaclyn on October 11, 2018, 05:20:48 AM

This was an incredibly fascinating read! Thank you for sharing this, Jaclyn. :)

RedPhoenix

Apologies & Absences | Ons & Offs | Canon in Red
I move the stars for no one.

Lilias

To go in the dark with a light is to know the light.
To know the dark, go dark. Go without sight,
and find that the dark, too, blooms and sings,
and is traveled by dark feet and dark wings.
~Wendell Berry

Double Os <> Double As (updated Mar 30) <> The Hoard <> 50 Tales 2024 <> The Lab <> ELLUIKI

Lustful Bride

Lilias

To go in the dark with a light is to know the light.
To know the dark, go dark. Go without sight,
and find that the dark, too, blooms and sings,
and is traveled by dark feet and dark wings.
~Wendell Berry

Double Os <> Double As (updated Mar 30) <> The Hoard <> 50 Tales 2024 <> The Lab <> ELLUIKI

RampantDesires

Err not sure if this is SUPER uplifting but I love the Hubble telescope...

https://gizmodo.com/hubble-telescope-s-broken-gyroscope-seemingly-fixed-aft-1829934018

Thank you for calling IT, have you tried turning it off and on again?  ... also works in space <3

They say best men are moulded out of faults, and, for the most part, become much more the better for being a little bad...
Absences 11/10 ≈ BlindfoldsRequests ≈  On's and Offs
<THIS SPACE PRETTIFIED SOON>
Tentatively Open to a few more 1v1's but also come write with me in Grey Matters--->

Mechelle

It may not be particularly uplifting or positive, but I thought it was very funny when Lancashire police put out an appeal to catch a thief who bore a striking resemblance to David Schwimmer from Friends in the CCTV footage they released. Schwimmer got in on the act by making a spoof video, but I have just heard a cruel journalist say it is the most publicity he has had in years.

//[url="https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-lancashire-45971252"]https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-lancashire-45971252[URL]

Mechelle

Quote from: Mechelle on October 24, 2018, 05:15:33 PM
It may not be particularly uplifting or positive, but I thought it was very funny when Lancashire police put out an appeal to catch a thief who bore a striking resemblance to David Schwimmer from Friends in the CCTV footage they released. Schwimmer got in on the act by making a spoof video, but I have just heard a cruel journalist say it is the most publicity he has had in years.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-lancashire-45971252
Edited to correct the link.

gaggedLouise

A Pakistani Christian woman, Asia Bibi, who was sentenced to death in 2010 for blasphemy against the Prophet Muhammed, has been acquitted by the country's Supreme Court. :)

Quote from: CNNThe court quoted Shakespeare's "King Lear" in its ruling, saying Asia Bibi appeared to have been "more sinned against than sinning."

"Even if there was some grain of truth in the allegations leveled in this case against the appellant still the glaring contradictions in the evidence of the prosecution highlighted above clearly show that the truth in this case had been mixed with a lot which was untrue," the ruling said.
David Curry, CEO of Open Doors USA, an organization that lobbies on behalf of Christian minorities, said in a statement that "we are breathing a sigh of relief today."
"These charges stemmed from her Christian identity as well as false accusations against her," he said. "We are hopeful that Pakistan will now take additional steps to offer religious freedom and basic human rights throughout the country."

https://edition.cnn.com/2018/10/31/asia/pakistan-asia-bibi-blasphemy-intl/index.html

*happy dance*

Lustful Bride

Shekinah

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/world-asia-46186910/grandpa-paints-his-taiwanese-village-in-cats-and-dogs

Grandpa paints his Taiwanese village in cats and dogs
Huang saved his home from demolition after his paintings turned his Taiwanese village into a huge tourist attraction. It now has more than a million visitors each year.

Why don’t we drink to me and my reflection in your lovely eyes?

My O/O's
Have you taken care of yourself today?

gaggedLouise

Man survives what could have looked like a double attempt at suicide (though perhaps the reason was that he was severely intoxicated and thought himself invulnerable). First he skips out of a car driving at 80 km/h on a bridge, then gets up, climbs the bridge fence and drops 43 meters (around 130 feet) down into the sea. And...swims to the shore. Wow!

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=12168140