Dungeons & Dragons 5th Edition

Started by BlueBeetle, December 30, 2014, 12:22:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlueBeetle

Hey everyone!

I'm a huge fan of D&D 5th Edition, and am wondering if anyone is currently playing a game or is looking to start a new game with new players. I'd be willing to DM/GM, but would need a steady group. I'd honestly prefer to simply play by post, and create my own character if someone else wanted to DM, but I'm just looking for a good, entertaining time! Let me know if you're interested!

eternaldarkness

I'm considering running a game for people who are newbies to D&D and pen and paper rpg's in general, but I wouldn't mind a few experienced players to help out. I'll PM you as soon as I have an idea.

BlueBeetle

That sounds great! I'm not sure if I can receive PMs or not yet, being an as-of-yet unapproved member, but I'm absolutely interested.

LuciferOs

I would love to role play something like this, magic and sorcery is very appealing to me.

I only know D&D 2/3rd edition though, would it be ok to join and correct things to be more 5th edition when differences appear and the need arises or does everyone who is playing have to be very familiar with 5th edition ?
That's right ! Lucifer is a woman !
Active threads
See my role play preferences (underneath my picture) for my ons and offs

eternaldarkness

5E is easy to learn, and best of all the basic rules are available for free here: http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/basicrules

That's all you absolutely need to play. I can easily teach a new player as we go; if you've played any D&D before, it will be pretty familiar. Looks like I have enough interest, so i'll get to work on a campaign and PM those who have expressed interest, that should give you and Beetle some time to get approved too =)

BlueBeetle

Quote from: eternaldarkness on January 01, 2015, 02:47:26 AM
5E is easy to learn, and best of all the basic rules are available for free here: http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/basicrules

That's all you absolutely need to play. I can easily teach a new player as we go; if you've played any D&D before, it will be pretty familiar. Looks like I have enough interest, so i'll get to work on a campaign and PM those who have expressed interest, that should give you and Beetle some time to get approved too =)

Thanks again, that's awesome. And I can certainly attest that 5th Edition is a really easy-to-play system that is well worth the quick time to learn. Plus, basic rules, as mentioned, are free!

LuciferOs

can you tell us what level we are starting as plus starting gold so we can develop and post candidate characters while we wait for the campaign to develop ?
Active threads

eternaldarkness

That depends on you guys. I typically run 5E starting at no less than level 3 because that's when you get your archetype and have really competent characters, plus you have usable monsters both above and below your level without the PC's being too weak or squishy to handle most reasonable encounters, but I'll put it to a vote between the two of you and anyone else who would like to join in. For starting gold, take 300 GP in addition to your free gear from Class and Background. I'll post any optional rules that will be in play too; we could actually get it started in Non-Adult Roleplays while we wait for you guys to get approved if you so desired; I can come up with a basic campaign hook pretty easily and we could be rolling as soon as you have characters ready to go.

BlueBeetle

Personally, I like starting at level 1, but that's mostly because I really enjoy building a character's background and then working with the character up through his levels and granting him an archetype based on how I feel s/he grows organically instead of making that decision right up front. Like, if I were to play a Paladin, I'd want to take the time to let him travel, engage with other creatures, and come to a conclusion about which direction his deity wanted him to travel with regards to taking his oath, etc.

Plus, and it's only my personal experience with 5th Edition, the squishiness of 1st level is all a part of that character's journey. The threat of death from a group of kobolds feels real as a level 1 character, whereas a level 3 character *should* have learned their patterns, tendencies, etc., and thus have a much easier time killing them.

I'm not saying I wouldn't make a 3rd level character from the beginning of the game, but I really wouldn't mind starting from the baseline and earning the experience.

LuciferOs

No less than level 3. Can we start at level 5 then ? that's my vote.

I hate having close to nothing to work with - which is true when your low level.
Considering I am playing with another that likes things starting at level 1, perhaps level 3 is the safe compromise.
Active threads

eternaldarkness

3 seems like a happy medium between 1 and 5. Also, a bit about me and my GM'ing style: First of all, I go for fun over all else. If everyone isn't having fun, then I have a problem. I like to see people  enjoying themselves, so if for any reason you aren't, let me know however you feel comfortable doing so.

Second, I tend toward high amounts of action and an over-the-top, cinematic style. Even when I try to run more down to earth, i somehow end up doing things big. Don't be afraid to take risks, do things that seem cool as hell if impractical, and so on - you are more likely to succeed on cool things in my games, because of the way I use the Inspiration mechanic: rather than handing it out and saying 'use it whenever you want', I just offer a reroll on any failed roll I please. If you accept it, I get one inspiration to use for NPC's at a later time, but you can choose not to accept the inspiration and take your failed roll. Hint: if i give you inspiration for a roll, it means what you are attempting entertained me or I want it to succeed very badly. Make of that what you will :D

Third, i'll use a few optional rules from the DMG, all of which are self-explanatory: Climb onto a bigger creature, mark, overrun, shove aside, and tumble. More will be posted on the details of those when I get a game thread up.

And last of all: If there's something you've always wanted to do but could never find a rule for it or a character option that exists to make it possible, let me know. I am very, very good at homebrewing. I am the DM you want if you're trying to make a special snowflake character.

In summary: Have Fun, Entertaining the GM is a great way to live longer, using a few optional rules, and tell me if you want to do something and don't know how.

Edit: You can also ask me for an inspiration reroll, but if you do, I get one for my NPC's as well.

LuciferOs

sounds awesome.

I was hoping that for combat we could explain primary and secondary intentions and roll-back plans in case things go pair shaped and you god-mode its entire resolution and major milestones of the combat based on our intention (which is in our best interest to be cool like you suggested). This could help the role play be more cinematic.

This stops hordes of posts being rolls - as I know that many roles are needed to resolve even very simple combat if we are to "play like we are rolling everything in detail properly"- and would keep the action tense and thrilling, not a role-grind - which I think spoils excitement.

If we are to start of as level 3, we be equip us with what fit in with our character avatars? So if it looks like an avatar has a impressive ring, you make a judgement call and say what it is. This helps visualization and comes in handy for role-playing later.

I was hoping you may be ok with homebrewing spells - so if we think of something that isnt on the spell list - we may be able to invent it or research it and make a strange spell that isn't common - but we can cast, and the same with magical items.
Active threads

LuciferOs

"we be equip us with what fit in with our character avatars? "

SHOULD READ

Can we please be equipped with what fits in with our character avatars ?
Active threads

BlueBeetle

I'll start working on my character, then.

LuciferOs

Actually forget my suggestion about characters having items that mimic their avatar. Feels pretty immature now come to think of it.

- Sorry.
Active threads

Rook Seidhr

Any problem with me jumping in here? Experienced gamer, totally new to 5e (never really did learn 3e either, and skipped 4e completely).

eternaldarkness

Have at it. My maximum number of players for a play by post game is five, in case someone drops out, so there's still plenty of room. I'll mostly be making things up as I go with this game though - no detailed plot or published adventure. I'll present a basic starting area, and we'll run with it.

Rook Seidhr

Thinking a half-elf warlock, then.

EDIT: standard 27 point buy for stats?

BlueBeetle

Quote from: Riveda on January 02, 2015, 06:16:35 AM
Thinking a half-elf warlock, then.

EDIT: standard 27 point buy for stats?

I'd also like to know how we'll be rolling up stats, since it might change what I play just slightly. I was thinking a warlock, too, but if we've got one, then I might go either Paladin or Bard, depending on what our party looks like.

eternaldarkness

Quote from: BlueBeetle on January 02, 2015, 12:09:33 PM
I'd also like to know how we'll be rolling up stats, since it might change what I play just slightly. I was thinking a warlock, too, but if we've got one, then I might go either Paladin or Bard, depending on what our party looks like.

D'oh! Standard 27 point buy, as Riveda said. Can't believe i forgot that.

Kuroshu

Where do we posts our character sheet and the likes if we wanted to join?
Do we just join in with an OCC post in the thread?

eternaldarkness

I'll get an OOC thread and an IC thread up soon. I'm really happy to see so many people interested in playing.

Kuroshu

It'll be fun!
Also is there an online character creator? I know there's Mythweavers for character sheets but 5e seems like it doesn't have much for character creators(online).
Not talking about auto gen random ones but more like helping the player keep track of Points and such (Auto Calculations, etc)

eternaldarkness

Not that I know of, but I'll provide a nice sheet format and will be happy to help with character creation, either here on E or via Aim/Skype (contact info is in my profile).

Kuroshu

Alrighty.
When do you think will this be ready?
I want to get started as soon as I can.

eternaldarkness

very soon =) basically, when we have some characters we'll work out an introduction and start right away.

And here is a character sheet you can use:

[float=left][img width=400][/img][/float]

[b]Name[/b]:
[b]Age:[/b]
[b]Race:[/b]
[b]Size:[/b]
[b]Languages:[/b]
[b]Class/Level:[/b]
[b]Alignment:[/b]
[b]Political Position[/b]: Imperial Champion
[spoiler=Background]
[spoiler=Feature: ,background feature name here.][/spoiler]

[spoiler=History].[/spoiler][/spoiler]

[spoiler=HP and other vitals]
[b]Hit Points:[/b]
[b]Hit Die:[/b]
[b]Armor Class:[/b]
[b]Passive Insight:[/b]
[b]Passive Perception:[/b]
[b]Initiative:[/b]
[b]Speed:[/b]
[b]Rage:[/b]
[b]Proficiency Bonus:[/b] +
[u][b]Proficiencies[/b][/u]
[b]Saves:[/b]
[b]Skills:[/b]
[b]Tool:[/b]
[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Ability Scores]
[b]Strength[/b]:
- Saving Throw: +
- Athletics:  +
[b]Dexterity[/b]:
-Saving Throw: +
- Acrobatics:  +
- Sleight of Hand: +
- Stealth: +
[b]Constitution[/b]:
[b]Intelligence[/b]:
- Arcana:+
- History: +
- Investigation: +
- Nature: +
- Religion: +
[b]Wisdom[/b]:
- Animal Handling: +
- Insight: +
- Medicine: +
- Perception: +
- Survival: +
[b]Charisma[/b]:
- Saving Throw:
- Deception: +
- Intimidation: +
- Performance: +
- Persuasion: +

[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Class Features and Feats]
[spoiler=Class Features]

[/Spoiler]

[spoiler=Feats] [/spoiler]
[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Equipment]

[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Combat Information]
[/Spoiler]

And how it looks when filled in:

Name: Sir Eiygil Vallen, a.k.a. the Imperial Champion, the Peoples' Champion, the Princess' Guard, the Crimson Lion.
Race: Human
Size: Medium (7' tall, 260 lbs.)
Languages: Common, Dwarven
Class/Level: Barbarian (Path of the Totem Warrior) 6
Alignment: Neutral Good.
ons/offs: Player - On's are everything, Off's are pretty much only scat. Character - Despite being a big, strong warrior type Eiygil is very much the romantic. Sexually, he is heterosexual and is actually fairly submissive, though truthfully he has had very little sexual experience, so that could change.
Political Position: Imperial Champion
Background
Folk Hero
Feature: Rustic Hospitality
Since you come from the ranks o f the common folk, you fit in among them with ease. You can find a place to hide, rest, or recuperate among other commoners, unless you have shown yourself to be a danger to them. They will shield you from the law or anyone else searching for you, though they will not risk their lives for you.

History
Eiygil Vallen, or just Gil to most people, is the Imperial Champion and a hero to all the common people of the empire (and some of the nobility, though not quite as many of them). Eiygil rose from the ranks of the peasantry to become the Imperial Champion by spending years and years crusading against countless raiders and monsters that plague the countryside beyond the city walls, and finally gained recognition beyond the rustic farms of the rural areas when he and a companion discovered the cause of the troubles in his corner of the kingdom was a corrupt count and raised a peasant army to defeat his corrupted forces and their monstrous allies and personally slew the red dragon he had allied with before claiming the position of Count at the peoples' insistence, but later handed that title over as he knew that he was a warrior, not a ruler.

After freeing his county from this threat, Eiygil was hailed as the Peoples' Champion for opposing the villainous noble, and this drew the ire of the previous Imperial Champion, whose job it is to police the lands beyond the cities, causing the champion to challenge Eiygil to a duel, which the young hero happily accepted. Eiygil traveled to the capital, a place the simple country smith's son had never even dreamed of seeing with his own eyes and engaged the Imperial Champion in a titanic battle which he only barely won, crippling the older warrior but refusing to kill him and becoming the new Imperial Champion. Eiygil remained in the capital, realizing that as strong as he was he couldn't fight every threat himself, and has begun to slowly learn the arts of statecraft alongside the arts of war while serving as the voice of the commoners and the strong smiting arm of the nobility.

Eiygil is considered the most skilled and powerful Imperial Champion in decades, and when he takes the field in his gilded armor with his iconic glaive and lion-headed helm astride his majestic Griffon mount, enemies tend to swiftly reconsider their actions.

HP and other vitals

Hit Points: 69
Hit Die: D12
Armor Class: 17 (while wearing Half Plate Armor) or 15 unarmored
Passive Insight: 12
Passive Perception: 12
Initiative: +2
Speed: 40 feet.
Rage: 4/day
Proficiency Bonus: +3
Proficiencies
Saves: Strength, Constitution
Skills: Animal Handling. Athletics. Intimidation. Survival.
Tool: Blacksmith's Tools. Land Vehicles.

Ability Scores

Strength: 16/+3
- Saving Throw: +6
- Athletics:  +6
Dexterity: 14/+2
-Saving Throw: +2
- Acrobatics:  +2
- Sleight of Hand: +2
- Stealth: +2
Constitution: 16/+3
- Saving Throw: +6
Intelligence: 11/+0
- Saving Throw: +0
- Arcana:+0
- History: +0
- Investigation: +0
- Nature: +0
- Religion: +0
Wisdom: 14/+2
- Saving Throw: +2
- Animal Handling: +5
- Insight: +2
- Medicine: +2
- Perception: +2
- Survival: +2
Charisma: 12/+1
- Saving Throw: +1
- Deception: +1
- Intimidation: +4
- Performance: +1
- Persuasion: +1
Honor: 16/+3
- Saving Throw: +3

Class Features and Feats

Class Features

Rage
In battle, you fight with primal ferocity. On your turn, you can enter a rage as a bonus action.
While raging, you gain the following benefits if you aren’t wearing heavy armor:
• You have advantage on Strength checks and Strength saving throws.
• When you make a melee weapon attack using Strength, you gain a bonus to the damage roll that increases as you gain levels as a barbarian, as shown in the Rage Damage column of the Barbarian table.
• You have resistance to bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing damage. If you are able to cast spells, you can’t cast them or concentrate on them while raging.

Your rage lasts for 1 minute. It ends early if you are knocked unconscious or if your turn ends and you haven’t attacked a hostile creature since your last turn or taken damage since then. You can also end your rage on your turn as a bonus action.

Once you have raged the number of times shown for your barbarian level in the Rages column of the Barbarian table, you must finish a long rest before you can rage again.

Unarmored Defense
While you are not wearing any armor, your Armor Class equals 10 + your Dexterity modifier + your Constitution modifier. You can use a shield and still gain this benefit.

Reckless Attack
Starting at 2nd level, you can throw aside all concern for defense to attack with fierce desperation. When you make your first attack on your turn, you can decide to attack recklessly. Doing so gives you advantage on melee weapon attack rolls using Strength during this turn, but attack rolls against you have advantage until your next turn.

Danger Sense
At 2nd level, you gain an uncanny sense of when things nearby aren’t as they should be, giving you an edge when you dodge away from danger.

You have advantage on Dexterity saving throws against effects that you can see, such as traps and spells. To gain this benefit, you can’t be blinded, deafened, or incapacitated.

Primal Path (Totem Warrior - Eagle Totem)
At 3rd level, you choose a path that shapes the nature of your rage. Choose the Path of the Berserker or the Path of the Totem Warrior, both detailed at the end of the
class description. Your choice grants you features at 3rd level and again at 6th, 10th, and 14th levels.

Ability Score Improvement
When you reach 4th level, and again at 8th, 12th, 16th, and 19th level, you can increase one ability score of your choice by 2, or you can increase two ability scores of your choice by 1. As normal, you can’t increase an ability score above 20 using this feature.

Extra Attack
Beginning at 5th level, you can attack twice, instead of once, whenever you take the Attack action on your turn.

Fast Movement
Starting at 5th level, your speed increases by 10 feet while you aren’t wearing heavy armor.

Spirit Seeker
Yours is a path that seeks attunement with the natural world, giving you a kinship with beasts. At 3rd level when you adopt this path, you gain the ability to cast the beast
sense and speak with animals spells, but only as rituals, as described in chapter 10.

Totem Spirit
At 3rd level, when you adopt this path, you choose a totem spirit and gain its feature. You must make or acquire a physical totem object- an amulet or similar adornment—that incorporates fur or feathers, claws, teeth, or bones o f the totem animal.

At your option, you also gain minor physical attributes that are reminiscent of your totem spirit. For example, if you have a bear totem spirit, you might be unusually hairy and thick skinned, or if your totem is the eagle, your eyes turn bright yellow.

Eagle. While you're raging and aren’t wearing heavy armor, other creatures have disadvantage on opportunity attack rolls against you, and you can use the
Dash action as a bonus action on your turn. The spirit of the eagle makes you into a predator w ho can weave through the fray with ease.

Aspect of  the Beast
At 6th level, you gain a magical benefit based on the totem animal of your choice. You can choose the same animal you selected at 3rd level or a different one.

Eagle. You gain the eyesight of an eagle. You can see up to 1 mile away with no difficulty, able to discern even fine details as though looking at something no
more than 100 feet away from you. Additionally, dim light doesn't impose disadvantage on your Wisdom (Perception) checks.

Feats

6th - Polearm Master
You can keep your enemies at bay with reach weapons.
You gain the following benefits:
• When you take the Attack action and attack with only a glaive, halberd, or quarterstaff, you can use a bonus action to make a melee attack with the opposite end of the weapon. The weapon’s damage die for this attack is a d4, and the attack deals bludgeoning damage.
• While you are wielding a glaive, halberd, pike, or quarterstaff, other creatures provoke an opportunity attack from you when they enter your reach.

Equipment

The Watchman (Glaive of Warning)- Dam 1d10 Slashing. Heavy, Reach, Two-Handed.
This simple and unadorned but effective weapon of Eiygil, the Watchman is made from a single piece of hardened steel, a testament to the smithing skill of its maker despite its unassuming appearance. Eiygil's worried mother forged this perfectly-balanced weapon for the future hero to carry with him as a member of the local militia, and when Eiygil became an adventurer he took this massive polearm with him and wielded it against numerous villains and monsters, and still carries it to this day as his most prized possession. It is the finest work of his mother, master smith Eiyda Vallen, and she has never again succeeded at crafting anything that was equal to it, though the aging human craftswoman has no regrets since her finest creation has saved the life of her son and countless others many times over, and the weapon has even attained magical power through some unknown means, watching over its owner and his companions tirelessly as any mother would her children.

This magic weapon warns you of danger. While the weapon is on your person, you have advantage on initiative rolls. In addition, you and any of your companions within 30 feet of you can't be surprised, except when incapacitated by something other than nonmagical sleep. The weapon magically awakens you and your companions within range if any of you are
sleeping naturally when combat begins.

Potion of Healing 2d4+2 X2
Griffon-Claw Talisman.
Half Plate Armor.
A veritable arsenal of other mundane arms and armor.
Mansion in the Emerald City.
Griffon Mount, Crimson.
An estate and griffon ranch near his home village just outside the Eternal Forest (usually occupied by his family members).

Combat Information

Glaive; Attack +6; Damage 1d10+3(1d10+5 while Raging); Range melee (reach 10 ft.); Slashing; other creatures provoke an opportunity attack from you when they enter your reach. Make a bonus attack when taking the attack action.
Bonus Attack: +6; Damage 1d4+3; Range melee (reach 10 ft); Bludgeoning

Kuroshu

Going to take a wild guess we need to find our own copy of the rule book? I do have a cruddy pdf copy of the e5 rulebook.

Kuroshu

Also... Are we using Honor and Sanity? Just Asking.

LuciferOs

until we are approved we cant modify posts ! - which needs to be done !

So ideally someone who is an approved player maintains the post of our characters, then once approval happens, the players can maintain it ?
Active threads

Kuroshu

Name: Shujin Kurosawa
Race: Human (Shou)
Size: Medium (5' 10" Tall, 180 lbs.)
Languages: Common, Dragonic
Class/Level: Fighter (Battlemaster), 3
Alignment: True Nuetral
Political Position:
Background

Soldier
Feature: Military Rank (Officer).

You have a military rank from your career as a soldier.
Soldiers loyal to your former military organization
still recognize your authority and influence, and they
defer to you if they are of a lower rank. You can invoke
your rank to exert influence over other soldiers and
requisition simple equipment or horses for temporary
use. You can also usually gain access to friendly
military encampments and fortresses where your rank
is recognized.
History
HP and other vitals

Hit Points: 36
Hit Die: 1d10 x Level(3)
Armor Class: 12 (While wearing Leather Armor) or 11 Unarmored
Passive Insight: 11
Passive Perception: 13
Initiative: +1
Speed: 30
Rage:
Proficiency Bonus: +2
Proficiencies
Skills: Acrobatics, Perception, Athletics, Intimidation
Tool: Vehicles (land), Dragon Chess, Smith’s tools
Ability Scores

- Saving Throw: +5
- Athletics:  +5
Dexterity: 13/+1
-Saving Throw: +1
- Acrobatics:  +3
- Sleight of Hand: +1
- Stealth: +1
Constitution: 14/+2
- Saving Throw: +4
Wisdom: 12/+1
- Animal Handling: +1
- Insight: +1
- Medicine: +1
- Perception: +3
- Survival: +1
Charisma: 14/+2
- Deception: +2
- Performance: +2
- Persuasion: +2
Class Features and Feats

Class Features

Fighting Style:
Two-Weapon Fighting
When you engage in two-weapon fighting, you can add
your ability modifier to the damage of the second attack.

Second Wind:
You have a limited well of stamina that you can draw on
to protect yourself from harm. On your turn, you can use
a bonus action to regain hit points equal to 1d10 + your
fighter level.
Once you use this feature, you must finish a short or
long rest before you can use it again.

Action Surge:
Starting at 2nd level, you can push yourself beyond your
normal limits for a moment. On your turn, you can take
one additional action on top of your regular action and a
possible bonus action.
long rest before you can use it again. Starting at 17th
level, you can use it twice before a rest, but only once on
the same turn.

Battle Master:
Combat Superiority
Maneuvers 3, +2 at 7th, 10th, 15th
Distracting Strike. When you hit a creature with a
weapon attack, you can expend one superiority die to
distract the creature, giving your allies an opening. You
add the superiority die to the attack’s damage roll. The
next attack roll against the target by an attacker other
than you has advantage if the attack is made before the
start o f your next turn.

Riposte. When a creature misses you with a melee
attack, you can use your reaction and expend one
superiority die to make a melee weapon attack against
the creature. If you hit, you add the superiority die to the
attack's damage roll.

Sweeping Attack. When you hit a creature with a
melee w eapon attack, you can expend one superiority
die to attempt to damage another creature with the
same attack. Choose another creature within 5 feet
o f the original target and within your reach. If the
original attack roll w ould hit the second creature, it
takes damage equal to the number you roll on your
superiority die. The damage is o f the same type dealt by
the original attack.

Superiority Dice
4/4 d8, +1 at 7th and 15th
Saving Throws

8+Proficiency Bonus + Str or Dex Mod

Student of War: Smith’s tools
Proficiency with one type of Artisan's tools
Feats
Equipment

Scimitar
1d6 slashing, 3 lb., Finesse, light
Scimitar
Longbow
1d8 piercing 2 lb. Ammunition (range 150/600), heavy, two-handed
Arrows(20), 1 lb.
Leather Armor
11 + Dex modifier, 10 lb.

Explorerfs Pack:
Backpack
Bedroll
Mess kit
Tinderbox
Torches(10)
Ration (10 Days)
Waterskin
Rope, Hemp, 50 ft

Officer Insignia
Ceremonial Tanto (Trophy)
Deck of Cards
Common Clothes
Belt Pouch (10g)
Combat Information

eternaldarkness

Message me on skype and send me your sheets, and i'll save them until you're approved.

As for honor and sanity, no to both right now, though after the first few adventures you'll all get an Honor score.

Kuroshu

I posted mine here, Was only suppose to use the preview but I pressed Post instead.
Question:
Do we need the Political Position?
And where is this RP taking place?
In the Rule book there was a Human group called Shou and that's where I based my Character.
Can you also check if what I posted is okay or not? I'm pretty sure I might have missed a few things

eternaldarkness

Quote from: Kuroshu on January 03, 2015, 02:06:51 AM
I posted mine here, Was only suppose to use the preview but I pressed Post instead.
Question:
Do we need the Political Position?
And where is this RP taking place?
In the Rule book there was a Human group called Shou and that's where I based my Character.
Can you also check if what I posted is okay or not? I'm pretty sure I might have missed a few things

You don't need political position, it's just on the sheet i used as an example because i stole the sheet format from a friend's game on here. As for the setting, i'll be using the Forgotten Realms, so Shou is a perfectly valid choice of culture.

Kuroshu

PS: Eternal, we need to be approved to look at your profile so can't get your Skype that way

eternaldarkness

Posting sheets here for now is fine, and once you guys get approved we'll make a proper character thread.

Kuroshu

Alright
Still need to do the History part of my character... Will work on it in a bit.

eternaldarkness

Take your time. We're in no hurry at all, and i'll be working off of whatever the players give me.

Kuroshu

I'll have to reread the section on Shou and see if they have any more background...
Pretty much the story is:
Shu climb the ranks quickly at a young age, witnessed something he did not approved of done by his fellow soldiers. He complained but was not payed attention to. Feeling betrayed he left. From there he travelled the lands alone or with a group that is traveling the same direction. At least till we begin the RP.

Also forgot to add the starting gold we are suppose to have. All the items so far was "Free" or "Starter" items. How much gold do we start with?

eternaldarkness

an additional 300 Gp plus your free stuff. I like characters to have some significant spare cash at the start. You can write a little something about how you got such a large sum if you'd like, but it isn't required.

Kuroshu

Probably helped a caravan travel. and also looted the bandits that attacked. Then Buried the Dead

BlueBeetle

I'm building mine on a .pdf file to upload here. Is that okay?

LuciferOs

Name: Lady Enna Siannodel
Race: High Elf
Size: Medium
Languages: Common, Elvish, Sylvan, Celestial
Class/Level: 3 (Wizard)
Alignment: Neutral Light
Political Position:
Background Noble

Trait: Despite my noble birth, I do not place myself above other folk. We all have the same blood
Ideal : Respect. All people regardless of station deserve to be treated with dignity. (Good)
Bond: I will face any challenge to win the approval of my family
Flaw: My actions has brought shame to my family

Lady Enna's families estates are dominated by forest which is abundant in rare herbs vital for higher healing arts and exotic meals alike. The main exports relates to a mixture of dried Berries and nuts as well as an ointment made from the sap of forest trees. Both are highly sort after by all apothecaries.

Although the estates are small, it does have natural boundaries on most sides making it highly defendable, but awkward to travel to. Unless an excessive amount of deaths occur, Enna will not be a direct heir but is blood cousins to those who are. She is on luke-warm terms with her family after deciding that adventure is more interesting than listening to others requests.

Initially trained as a over-seerer of petty disputes Enna took  to magic as a release from the mundane aspects of nobility, much to the disappointment of her family. They have grudgingly agreed to tolerate her insolence provided she proves doing so will aid the estates or her family somehow. Something she has yet to do.

After considerable debate the family did provide her a horse and equipment packed full of what could help her in her journeys  and have requested her to write letters informing the family of  her whereabouts as often as she can.

Feature: ,background feature name here.

History

HP and other vitals

Hit Points: 6 + 2d6+2 =16
Hit Die: 3d6
Armor Class: 13 (mage armor) + 5 (shield spell) + 3 (dex modifer) = 21
Passive Insight: +2
Passive Perception: +2
Initiative: +3
Rage: ?
Proficiencies Daggers, darts, slings, quarterstaffs,light crossbows, longsword, shortsword, shortbow, and longbow.
Saves: Intelligence, Wisdom
Skills: Perception, Arcana, Insight,History, Persuasion
Tool:None

Ability Scores

Strength: 10
- Saving Throw: + 0
- Athletics:  + 0
Dexterity: 16
-Saving Throw: + 3
- Acrobatics:  + 3
- Sleight of Hand: + 3
- Stealth: + 3
Constitution:13
- Saving Throw: + 1
Intelligence: 19
- *Saving Throw: + 6
- *Arcana:+ 6
- *History: + 6
- Investigation: +4
- Nature: + 4
- Religion: + 4
Wisdom: 10
- *Saving Throw: + 2
- Animal Handling: + 0
- *Insight: + 2
- Medicine: + 0
- *Perception: + 2
- Survival: + 0
Charisma: 12
- Saving Throw:+ 1
- Deception: + 1
- Intimidation: + 1
- Performance: + 1
- *Persuasion: + 3

Class Features and Feats

Class Features

Arcane Tradition: Enchantment.

Feats

School of Enchantment
As a member of the School of Enchantment, you have
honed your ability to magically entrance and beguile
other people and monsters. Some enchanters are
peacemakers who bewitch the violent to lay down their
arms and charm the cruel into showing mercy. Others
are tyrants who magically bind the unwilling into their
service. Most enchanters fall somewhere in between.

Enchantment Savant
Beginning when you select this school at 2nd level, the
gold and time you must spend to copy an enchantment
spell into your spellbook is halved.

Hypnotic Gaze
Starting at 2nd level when you choose this school, your
soft words and enchanting gaze can magically enthrall
another creature. As an action, choose one creature that
you can see within 5 feet of you. If the target can see or
hear you, it must succeed on a Wisdom saving throw
against your wizard spell save DC or be charmed by you
until the end of your next turn. The charmed creature’s
speed drops to 0, and the creature is incapacitated and
visibly dazed.

On subsequent turns, you can use your action to
maintain this effect, extending its duration until the
end of your next turn. However, the effect ends if you
move more than 5 feet away from the creature, if the
creature can neither see nor hear you, or if the creature
takes damage.

Once the effect ends, or if the creature succeeds on its
initial saving throw against this effect, you can’t use this
feature on that creature again until you finish a long rest.

Equipment

On person:
a purse containing 2 gp, 4 sp
Clothes, Travelers 2 gp
Belt: 2 x Rope, silk (50 feet) 10 gp
a signet ring
a dagger
an extra dagger 2 gp
A shortsword 10 gp
A shortbow 25 gp
20 arrows 1 gp
a quiver 1 gp
a component pouch
Pouch1 5 sp Containing
   Anti-toxin 50 gp
Pouch2 5 sp  Containing:
   10 x Chalk 1 cp

a scholar’s pack Containing
7 x Rations 5 sp
2 x Waterskin 2 sp
A set of fine clothes
a scroll of pedigree
A spellbook
Pouch3 5 sp Containing:
   5 x Soap 2 cp
   Steel mirror 5 gp
   Perfume 5 gp
Sack1: Containing
   Whetstone 1 cp
   Climber’s kit 25 gp
   Line and Fishing tackle 1 gp
   10 iron spikes 1 gp
   Signal Whistle 5 cp
   Grappling hook 2 gp

Horse, riding 75 gp
Bit and bridle 2 gp
Saddle Riding 10 gp
Saddle Bags 5 gp Containing:
extra 20 arrows 1 gp
extra quiver 1 gp
Bedroll 1 gp
Blanket 5 sp
5 x waterskin 2 sp

Sack2: Containing
  7x Feed (per day) 5 cp
  Iron Pot 2 gp
  Mess Kit 2 sp
  2 person tent 2 gp
  5 flasks of Oil 1 sp
  2 x Hunting Trap 5 gp
  Shovel 2 gp
  Pick, miner’s 2 gp
  Tinderbox 5 sp
  Lantern, bullseye 10 gp

Sack3: Containing
  Ink (1 ounce bottle) 10 gp
  Book 25 gp
  Scroll Case 1 gp Containing:
    10 x paper 2 sp
  2 x Ink pen 2 cp
  Sealing Wax 5 sp
  Abacus 2 gp

Magic Information

Arcane Tradition: Enchantment.

3 2nd level spell slots
4 1st level spell slots
3+1 known cantrips

Cantrips

Mage Hand
Fire Bolt
Light
Ray of Frost

1st Level

Charm Person
Comprehend Languages
Detect Magic
Identify
Mage Armour
Shield

2nd level
Knock
Invisibility
Web
Misty Step

Active threads

LuciferOs

the spells in brackets are over and above what I gain from just leveling,
They were spells I would hoped to have learned by adventuring to level 3 - and not by leveling.

The GM can decide if I can have them or not / or change them as he deems fit.
Active threads

LuciferOs

can 5 gold be removed from my purse and can another animal trap be added to my equipment please?

The hassles of not being able to edit a post :(
Active threads

BlueBeetle

Well, I think I'm going to have to make a new character, lol. I built a Level 3 sorcerer, but with a fighter, a warlock, and a wizard, that's a bit too much damage. Maybe I will go paladin instead.

LuciferOs

Active threads

Rook Seidhr

It's OK, BlueBeetle, you go ahead and be blaster-caster. I'll make a cleric. Every party needs one, right?

Do we have anyone who can find and disarm traps?

eternaldarkness

Quote from: BlueBeetle on January 03, 2015, 09:22:28 AM
I'm building mine on a .pdf file to upload here. Is that okay?

Perfectly okay.

Quote from: LuciferOs on January 03, 2015, 11:11:21 PM
can 5 gold be removed from my purse and can another animal trap be added to my equipment please?

The hassles of not being able to edit a post :(

Go ahead.

Bluebeetle, don't feel required to change classes. perfect class balance is by no means necessary, as i'm sure clever players (and characters) like yours can find a solution to ay problem. Also, I decided not to go with Forgotten realms after all, but that doesn't invalidate anyone's character choices. It's easy enough to get the spirit of your intended backgrounds in regardless of setting.

IC thread is here: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=220840.new#new

Rook Seidhr

I'm sorry, I think I need to drop out of this…I'm not feeling so great and I don't want to hold things up.

eternaldarkness

Quote from: Riveda on January 04, 2015, 04:08:58 PM
I'm sorry, I think I need to drop out of this…I'm not feeling so great and I don't want to hold things up.

Just come on back whenever you're feeling better. I can always find a way to work in a new character.

Kuroshu

Here's the complete Character, History done, also bough me some stuff.

Name: Shujin Kurosawa
Race: Human (Shou)
Size: Medium (5' 10" Tall, 180 lbs.)
Languages: Common, Dragonic
Class/Level: Fighter (Battlemaster), 3
Alignment: True Nuetral
Political Position:
Background

Soldier
Feature: Military Rank (Officer).

You have a military rank from your career as a soldier.
Soldiers loyal to your former military organization
still recognize your authority and influence, and they
defer to you if they are of a lower rank. You can invoke
your rank to exert influence over other soldiers and
requisition simple equipment or horses for temporary
use. You can also usually gain access to friendly
military encampments and fortresses where your rank
is recognized.
History
Shujin was the second oldest son of a blacksmith and the older brother to two sisters. He idolized his older brother. So his brother joined the military he decided to do the same but Months before he was able to finally join his brother was killed. The details surrounding his death was away from them. Still this did not change his mind, it only strengthen it. He still joined the military even against the wishes of his father and sisters.

It did not take long before he climbed the ranks. Those that had served beside him as soldiers trusts him while those that served under him follow him with out question. He had a sense of Honor and Duty one that spread among his men.

His time with the military ended abruptly. While helping occupy a captured stronghold he witness the troops of other officers do horrible things to the people of the stronghold. He ordered the men to stop with no luck. When words did not work he let his actions speak for himself. He told the his men to gather the prisoners and protect them from the rest of the army. This act was taken as treason by many of his superiors yet a few believed it was noble. In the end he was punished but not killed. He was to be secluded for a week. Before the punishment was carried out one of his supporters slipped him a journal.

During his seclusion he read the journal. In it described events that happened similarly to his own. Yet the end was not as he had hoped. The man was killed along with his men. The General in charge did not want his name sullied decided to label those executed as men killed in action. As he continued reading a feeling of anger and betrayal swelled inside him. He knew. In the end was a small note. The owner of the journal belonged to a soldier that was transfered from the man's squad before the battle started. The soldier's last entry thanked the man he had served. Tears slowly crawled down his face as he reads the man's name. Under his breath he calls his brother.

After the week ended he was release. One of those waiting was the officer who gave him the journal, he had a sad apologetic looks as he watched. He and his men left the military soon after. He himself travelled alone occasionally traveling as an guard to merchants traveling the same road he was on.
HP and other vitals

Hit Points: 36
Hit Die: 1d10 x Level(3)
Armor Class: 12 (While wearing Leather Armor) or 11 Unarmored
Passive Insight: 11
Passive Perception: 13
Initiative: +1
Rage:
Proficiencies
Skills: Acrobatics, Perception, Athletics, Intimidation
Tool: Vehicles (land), Dragon Chess, Smith’s tools
Ability Scores

- Saving Throw: +5
- Athletics:  +5
Dexterity: 13/+1
-Saving Throw: +1
- Acrobatics:  +3
- Sleight of Hand: +1
- Stealth: +1
Constitution: 14/+2
- Insight: +1
Charisma: 14/+2
- Deception: +2
- Performance: +2
- Persuasion: +2
Class Features and Feats

Class Features

Fighting Style:
Two-Weapon Fighting
When you engage in two-weapon fighting, you can add
your ability modifier to the damage of the second attack.

Second Wind:
You have a limited well of stamina that you can draw on
to protect yourself from harm. On your turn, you can use
a bonus action to regain hit points equal to 1d10 + your
fighter level.
long rest before you can use it again.

Action Surge:
Starting at 2nd level, you can push yourself beyond your
normal limits for a moment. On your turn, you can take
one additional action on top of your regular action and a
possible bonus action.
long rest before you can use it again. Starting at 17th
level, you can use it twice before a rest, but only once on
the same turn.

Battle Master:
Combat Superiority
Maneuvers 3, +2 at 7th, 10th, 15th
Distracting Strike. When you hit a creature with a
weapon attack, you can expend one superiority die to
distract the creature, giving your allies an opening. You
add the superiority die to the attack’s damage roll. The
next attack roll against the target by an attacker other
than you has advantage if the attack is made before the
start o f your next turn.

Riposte. When a creature misses you with a melee
attack, you can use your reaction and expend one
superiority die to make a melee weapon attack against
the creature. If you hit, you add the superiority die to the
attack's damage roll.

Sweeping Attack. When you hit a creature with a
melee w eapon attack, you can expend one superiority
die to attempt to damage another creature with the
same attack. Choose another creature within 5 feet
o f the original target and within your reach. If the
original attack roll w ould hit the second creature, it
takes damage equal to the number you roll on your
superiority die. The damage is o f the same type dealt by
the original attack.

Superiority Dice
4/4 d8, +1 at 7th and 15th
Saving Throws

8+Proficiency Bonus + Str or Dex Mod

Student of War: Smith’s tools
Proficiency with one type of Artisan's tools
Feats
Equipment

Scimitar
Scimitar
Longbow
1d8 piercing 2 lb. Ammunition (range 150/600), heavy, two-handed
Arrows(20), 1 lb.
Leather Armor
11 + Dex modifier, 10 lb.

Explorerfs Pack:
Backpack
Bedroll
Mess kit
Tinderbox
Torches(10)
Ration (10 Days)
Waterskin
Rope, Hemp, 50 ft

Horse, Riding
Horse, Draft

Wagon

Officer Insignia
Ceremonial Tanto (Trophy)
Deck of Cards
Common Clothes
Belt Pouch (150g)
Combat Information

RubySlippers

Have room for one more and I think I will like to play a Rogue, not sure of race yet.

eternaldarkness

Jump right on in, Ruby. And welcome.

Kuroshu

Play as a giant... Just joking.
Hopefully you can join in as soon as possible.
So we can start doing stuff like killing imps that are an inch tall and blue.

eternaldarkness

Grats to LuciferOS and BlueBeetle on getting their approval.

eternaldarkness

So far we have a Fighter, Sorcerer, Wizard, and whatever Ruby makes. keep in mind that if you need someone with talents your pc's don't have, you can hire any number of colorful individuals in Antioch, and if you make some friends they might be willing to accompany you for free, or at least for a share of the loot. You have quite a few niches unfilled - no explorer, front-line tank, or healer/damage mitigator. On the plus side, you guys have some solid damage-dealing and utility magic capability, and you're all very capable in social situations. Keep in mind, you can solve problems any way you see fit - i won't go out of my way to punish you unduly for not having a 'role' filled - but you probably wanna get buddy-buddy with some of the locals in a hurry :D thankfully, that's something you guys should be good at with your great charisma scores and interaction skills.

Kuroshu

By Great Interaction skill you mean intimidation?
I bough a wagon so we don't have to walk everywhere... And we'll see if any of them Adventurers are fine with joining us. You should throw a few at us that you think would be a nice addition to the them.

eternaldarkness

Quote from: Kuroshu on January 05, 2015, 02:00:34 AM
By Great Interaction skill you mean intimidation?
I bough a wagon so we don't have to walk everywhere... And we'll see if any of them Adventurers are fine with joining us. You should throw a few at us that you think would be a nice addition to the them.

Intimidation totally counts as an interaction skill, and with a decent Cha you can get a lot done even without proficiency. Besides, sometimes the best way to get what you want is to make dire threats, and maybe even be willing to back them up.

I'm doing a write-up on religion and alignment in the setting right now, so you guys have a bit more information, and i'll make an IC post shortly after.

Kuroshu

Great, cause Shu was feeling abit lonely there

RubySlippers

I'm doing a Rogue but don't expect a combat monster likely she will be a human from the local area, with an entertainer background and a thief by vocation. Mulling over if I should take the variant racial traits or not.

eternaldarkness

Quote from: RubySlippers on January 05, 2015, 02:08:24 AM
I'm doing a Rogue but don't expect a combat monster likely she will be a human from the local area, with an entertainer background and a thief by vocation. Mulling over if I should take the variant racial traits or not.

Variant human is okay, and she need not be a combat monster.

eternaldarkness

Religion and Alignment
Religion
In this world, there a few options as far as religion goes. First and perhaps most prominent is the Holy Church of the Eternal Light, a monotheistic religion (in theory) that reveres a being known variously as the Eternal Creator, the Light, the All-Mother, or simply God. Like all religions, there are splinter groups and sects within the church as a whole, such as the Wayfarers, a sect that focuses on the duality of light and dark, with a focus on the dark (they are not necessarily evil, though wayfarers can usually be described as unsettling at best). The church teaches that all other deities are false, a belief that does not endear them to followers of other faiths and they are often willing to force conversion to the true faith at swordpoint, though not all followers of the light are militant or rigid, and most are happy to leave peoples with faiths different from theirs believe what they will. The least aggressive of them are, ironically, the Wayfarers - they believe that the nature of the light and dark is vast enough to encompass all things, and that all creation is an expression of the creators will.

Next is simple nature-worship, an animistic faith whose adherents believe that there are spirits which govern every single thing in creation. Many people in more rural areas as well as elves and the Shou humans venerate nature and the spirits, an ancient practice that predates the existence of the Light as a religion and is mostly informal.

In the burning deserts of the south, the dark-skinned people there venerate the powerful and near-godlike Djinn Lords that rule those lands, and their priests are as often sorcerers as they are clerics or paladins, paying them tribute in treasure and slaves.

Race by Race
Humans can follow any faith, depending on their inclinations and culture. the Shou generally tend to be nature-worshippers, and more humans than any other race are followers of the light.

Dragonborn - the dragon-kin usually worship no deity, believeing only in their own strength and prowess to make their way in the world, but those who choose to join a faith tend to be some of its most fanatical adherents.

Dwarf - Dwarves are split along genetic lines when it comes to religion. The mountain dwarves of the frozen north are devout followers of the Light, whilst the more nomadic Hill Dwarves have diverse ranges of beliefs based on their culture and personal inclinations.

Elf - Most elves venerate the spirits of nature, though a few have found peace and purpose as followers of the Light (or dark, in the case of the Drow).

Gnome - You will be hard-pressed to find a gnome that does not revere the spirits of nature.

Halfling - Halflings who bother with religion at all usually pray to the spirits of nature, but the Stout halflings of the south worship the Djinn just as all other people there do.

Half-Elf - Like their human and elven parents, they follow whichever faith their culture or personal inclinations dictate.

Half-Orc - Half-orcs raised among humans have as diverse a range of religious beliefs as their human parents, whilst those raised among orcs tend to venerate the spirits of nature like their orc kin.

Tiefling - Tieflings have no particular religious inclinations, though they are slightly drawn toward the Holy Light. Tieflings who venerate the djinn are virtually non-existent, as tieflings found in the southern lands are typically killed on sight or at birth.

Alignment
Alignment works a little differently in this universe. Firstly, the Good and Evil alignments are replaced with Light and Dark. Chaotic and Lawful  remain the same, but they represent something different - Lawfully-aligned souls are strongly associated with order and stasis, while chaotically-aligned souls favor entropy, the universal force of destruction that breaks down all things. Your characters alignment is not an expression of his or her personal ethos or actions so much as it is simply the way in which your soul is inherently aligned. A persons alignment is set at birth, and nothing short of powerful magic can alter it. Many a good persons soul is aligned with the Dark through no fault of their own, and even the most black-hearted villain can have a soul of purest Light. in this world, you must play the hand you are dealt. Your souls alignment may incline you toward dark, light, law, or chaos, but what this means is that even if you can somehow find a way of discerning a persons alignment, there is no guarantee their alignment will be an indicator of the type of person they might be. the degree to which a persons alignment affects personality varies wildly from individual to individual.

If anyone wants to change their alignment or character background as a result of this, feel free. From a mechanics standpoint, divine characters can freely choose their oaths/domains/etc as fits their belief system. PC paladins must carefully delineate what oaths they took upon reaching level 3.

LuciferOs

Nice work eternaldarkness,

I think my character sheet is ready, I changed my spells and happy for any to overlook it to see if I have made her correctly as this is the first time I have played 5e.

She is here: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=220480.msg10856881#msg10856881

Btw: I want to specailise in enchantment - the online reference said that it would be clarified in chapter 10 and arcane focuses detailed in chapter five but the online player reference doesn't have that !.

Im not sure what online reference others are using but Im using the one that Eternal darkness linked us
(the players handbook in here - http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/basicrules )

It details the core 4 classes, wizards, fighter,cleric rogue - and nothing else. Am I missing something here?
Active threads

Kuroshu

The one he links too only gives the basic information.
For example there is a monk class that wasn't mentioned in the link he gave

BlueBeetle

Yeah, keep in mind that the Basic Rules that are free to everyone don't contain all of the different races and classes available in the Player's Handbook.

RubySlippers

Name: Emma Moon
Race: Human (Tethyrian)
Size: Medium
Languages: Common & Orcish
Class/Level: Rogue (Thief)/3
Alignment: Neutral Dark
Political Position:
Background

Feature: Performer - Player of the Lyre-guitar, Poet and Singer -

Routine: Instrumentalist, Poet, Singer
Feature : By Popular Demand
You can always find a place to perform, usually in an
inn or tavern but possibly with a circus, at a theater, or
even in a noble’s court. At such a place, you receive free
lodging and food of a modest or comfortable standard
(depending on the quality of the establishment), as
long as you perform each night. In addition, your
performance makes you something of a local figure.
When strangers recognize you in a town where you have
performed, they typically take a liking to you.

History

Is not all that complicated was the youngest child of a regional mountain man a half-orc who made a living hunting furs, some panning for gold and other honest work being well regarded even by the elves for his stoic noble heart and was a former pit fighter and slave with the scars to prove it named Borrak. Her mother was a human ,Hanna Moon, and might pretty making a living as a whore and well met papa while being mounted by him for coin and nine months later out she came mostly taking after her ma the only signs of her fathers blood her pointed orcish teeth the tusks filed down some. She was never a good girl she did train as a bards apprentice but took to crime more naturally robbing people in caravans not wanting to "shits where she sleeps" and until the trade routes closed up tighter than a virgins holes made a good living. Now is kind of desperate to leave she makes some coin performing but its not good and stealing is thin work to make coin on save for stealing some food from local farms and the odd open window she has avoided ripping off anything serious from the locals.

HP and other vitals

Hit Points: 21
Hit Die: D8
Armor Class: 13
Passive Insight:  +3
Passive Perception: +3
Initiative: +2
Speed: 30 ft.
Rage: n/a
Proficiencies
Saves: Dexterity, Intelligence
Skills: Acrobatics, Arcane, Athletics, Deception, Hand Crossbows, Insight, Light Armor, Longswords, Perception, Performance, Rapiers, Shortswords, Sleight of Hand, Simple Weapons, Stealth.
Tool: Disguise Kit, Lyre-guitar, Thieves' Tools

Ability Scores

Strength: 12/+1
- Athletics:  +3
Dexterity: 14/+2
-Saving Throw: +4
- Acrobatics:  +4
- Sleight of Hand: +4
- Stealth: +4
Constitution: 12/+1
Intelligence: 14/+2
- Arcana:+4
- History: +2
- Investigation: +2
- Nature: +2
- Religion: +2
- Insight: +3
Charisma: 13/+1
- Deception: +3
- Intimidation: +1
- Performance: +3
- Persuasion: +3

Class Features and Feats

Class Features

Expertise Sleight of Hand, Thieves Tools
Sneak Attack 2D6
Thieves Cant
Cunning Action
Fast Hands
Second-Story Work

Feats

Skilled

Equipment

1. Burglar’s Pack  Includes a backpack, a bag of 1,000
ball bearings, 10 feet of string, a bell, 5 candles, a crowbar, a
hammer, 10 pitons, a hooded lantern, 2 flasks of oil, 5 days
rations, a tinderbox, and a waterskin. The pack also has 50
feet of silk rope strapped to the side of it.
2. Lyre-guitar
3. Thieves Tools
4. Disguise Kit
5. Leather Armor
6. Silvered Short Sword "Silver Sting"
7. Dagger x 3
8. Hand Crossbow with 10 Bolts
9. Costume
10. Trinket from Admirer (Dryad Charm on Chain)
11. Money Belt (for hiding money)
12. Coin Pouch (for a small amount of money on hand, tucked into belt)
13. Scavengers Kit: Jars, flasks, waxed paper, pouches, string etc. needed
for looting monster corpses for materials of value to arcane types
and special buyers.
14. Clothing Leathers to Compliment Armor

COIN & WEALTH
Platinum 1
Gold 8
Electrum 2
Silver 9
Copper 10
Other:

Combat Information

1. Dagger:  1d4 piercing 1 lb. Finesse, light, thrown (range 20/60)
2. Crossbow, hand: 1d6 piercing 3 lb. Ammunition (range 30/120), light, loading
3. Shortsword:  1d6 piercing 2 lb. Finesse, light

eternaldarkness

Okay, everyone's done and i'm finished with my cleaning frenzy. Postage forthcoming.

eternaldarkness

I made an IC thread:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=220947.new#new

those of you who already did them, move your intro posts to that thread and put your character sheets in the old one.

RubySlippers

I have to buy things yet not in her starter kits so am not quite done yet.

eternaldarkness

Quote from: RubySlippers on January 05, 2015, 05:30:15 PM
I have to buy things yet not in her starter kits so am not quite done yet.

No sweat, you can post IC in the meantime if you'd like. We'll have one more player joining us too. Another local, actually.

LuciferOs

eternaldarkness - awesome !!

Hey fellow companions, eternal has given us plenty of starting gold.

For about 92 gold, you get a horse, saddle and bit and bridle and saddle bags and horse feed and the likes.

Remember not only do they prevent the need to walk everywhere, we can see further from their height, AND they can carry our treasure ! (we can also eat them if we get really hungry)

Horses people !
Active threads

RubySlippers

A horse or a silvered short sword in case I meet anything needing silver to hit it, I'd rather spend the 110gp for the sword given a choice.

I do need a kit for getting monster body parts and such for selling to mage sorts, after all she is a greedy gold whore if giant spider eyes and venom sell for good amounts of gold she wants to get them to sell if they happen to kill one, not to mention figuring out what magical stuff might be re-sellable like spell books.  >:)

eternaldarkness

Quote from: RubySlippers on January 06, 2015, 08:48:15 AM
A horse or a silvered short sword in case I meet anything needing silver to hit it, I'd rather spend the 110gp for the sword given a choice.

I do need a kit for getting monster body parts and such for selling to mage sorts, after all she is a greedy gold whore if giant spider eyes and venom sell for good amounts of gold she wants to get them to sell if they happen to kill one, not to mention figuring out what magical stuff might be re-sellable like spell books.  >:)

I'll be sure to work in ways for our money-grubbing little cutie to rake in the cash at every opportunity  >:)

RubySlippers

I just am piecing together a kit of jars, bottles, flasks, wax for sealing and waxed paper etc. to store goodies in a way alchemists and mages would desire. She in Neutral Dark not exactly honorable save she won't steal from locals and her background will be she is upset the trade routes are closed its less people to thieve from.  :D

Okay she might steal food if hungry but can also earn honest coin again hard with the caravan routes closed up. So leaving for better options is looking appealing.

eternaldarkness

Here's a list of optional rules and rules variants that are in play, for your knowledge. They're designed to support the intended playstyle - epic heroism. I'll compile all the setting information and houserules in one post shortly.

Feats: feats are being used. I find that they go a long way toward giving characters some mechanical differentiation, and to that end every character gets one free feat at level one. This is in addition to the free feat the variant human gets if you happen to take that race. Modify your characters accordingly.

Combat Options - The following are options both PC's and NPC's/monsters can take in combat.

CLIMB ONTO A BIGGER CREATURE
If one creature wants to jump onto another creature, it can do so by grappling. A Small or Medium creature has little chance of making a successful grapple against a Huge or Gargantuan creature, however, unless magic has granted the grappler supernatural might.

As an alternative, a suitably large opponent can be treated as terrain for the purpose of jumping onto its back or clinging to a limb. After making any ability checks necessary to get into position and onto the larger creature, the smaller creature uses its action to make a Strength (Athletics) or Dexterity (Acrobatics) check contested by the target's Dexterity (Acrobatics) check.

If it wins the contest, the smaller creature successfully moves into the target creature's space and clings to its body. While in the target's space, the smaller creature moves with the target and has advantage on attack rolls against it. The smaller creature can move around within the larger creature's space, treating the space as difficult terrain. The larger creature's ability to attack the smaller creature depends on the smaller creature's location, and is left to your discretion. The larger creature can dislodge the smaller creature as an action- knocking it off, scraping it against a wall, or grabbing and throwing it- by making a Strength (Athletics) check contested by the smaller creature's Strength (Athletics) or Dexterity (Acrobatics) check. The smaller creature chooses which ability to use.

DISARM
A creature can use a weapon attack to knock a weapon or another item from a target's grasp. The attacker makes an attack roll contested by the target's Strength (Athletics) check or Dexterity (Acrobatics) check. If the attacker wins the contest, the attack causes no damage or other ill effect, but the defender drops the item. The attacker has disadvantage on its attack roll if the target is holding the item with two or more hands. The target has advantage on its ability check if it is larger than the attacking creature, or disadvantage if it is smaller.

MARK
This option makes it easier for melee combatants to harry each other with opportunity attacks. When a creature makes a melee attack, it can also mark its target. Until the end of the attacker's next turn, any opportunity attack it makes against the marked target has advantage. The opportunity attack doesn't expend the attacker's reaction, but the attacker can't make the attack if anything, such as the incapacitated condition or the shocking grasp spell, is preventing it from taking reactions. The attacker is limited to one opportunity attack per turn.

OVERRUN
When a creature tries to move through a hostile creature's space, the mover can try to force its way through by overrunning the hostile creature. As an action or a bonus action, the mover makes a Strength (Athletics) check contested by the hostile creature's Strength (Athletics) check. The creature attempting the overrun has advantage on this check if it is larger than the hostile creature, or disadvantage if it is smaller. If the mover wins the contest, it can move through the hostile creature's space once this turn.

SHOVE ASIDE
With this option, a creature uses the special shove attack from the Player's Handbook to force a target to the side, rather than away. The attacker has disadvantage on its Strength (Athletics) check when it does so. If that check is successful, the attacker moves the target 5 feet to a different space within its reach.

TUMBLE
A creature can try to tumble through a hostile creature's space, ducking and weaving past the opponent. As an action or a bonus action, the tumbler makes a Dexterity (Acrobatics) check contested by the hostile creature's Dexterity (Acrobatics) check. If the tumbler wins the contest, it can move through the hostile creature's space
once this turn.

HITTING COVER
When a ranged attack misses a target that has cover, you can use this optional rule to determine whether the cover was struck by the attack. First, determine whether the attack roll would have hit the protected target without the cover. If the attack roll falls within a range low enough to miss the target but high enough to strike the target if there had been no cover, the object used for cover is struck. If a creature is providing cover for the missed creature and the attack roll exceeds the AC of the covering creature, the covering creature is hit.

CLEAVING THROUGH CREATURES
If your player characters regularly fight hordes of lower-level monsters, consider using this optional rule to help speed up such fights.
When a melee attack reduces an undamaged creature to 0 hit points, any excess damage from that attack might carry over to another creature nearby. The attacker targets another creature within reach and, if the original attack roll can hit it, applies any remaining damage to it. If that creature was undamaged and is likewise reduced to 0 hit points, repeat this process, carrying over the remaining damage until there are no valid targets, or until the damage carried over fails to reduce an undamaged creature to 0 hit points.

eternaldarkness

Also, those of you who don't have access to the full PHB, PM me and i'll give you a feat that feat that fits your character.

LuciferOs

that is a good way to spend gold ruby,

i will stop telling others what to buy then, I find myself corrected :)

Cool character btw ! And if you cant open anything because its a magical lock, I have a spell that may be able to help, being a wizard I may even be able to recognise what parts of monsters make up components that other wizards value (I think anyway) which is worth your time preserving.
Active threads

Stephie613

I should probably officially say hi in this thread, so hi! :p

RubySlippers

Quote from: LuciferOs on January 07, 2015, 12:08:43 AM
that is a good way to spend gold ruby,

i will stop telling others what to buy then, I find myself corrected :)

Cool character btw ! And if you cant open anything because its a magical lock, I have a spell that may be able to help, being a wizard I may even be able to recognise what parts of monsters make up components that other wizards value (I think anyway) which is worth your time preserving.

There are few skills she doesn't have at this point.  ;D

eternaldarkness

Another random little houserule: An additional function of the Druidcraft cantrip is that it can be used to unerringly determine blood relation between two people, out to about the degree of third cousins. Direct blood relation (Parent/Child or Siblings) is 100% accurate. The downside is obviously you have to get both people who are to be affected in one place (they have to be within 10 ft. of the caster and within 5 feet of eachother).

LuciferOs

Would she also be able to work out parts of plants and natural creatures that is valuable as components or study references ? Could she help out rubies character also ?

Where a wizard may be able to recognize components and interesting parts of say magical creatures or inanimate objects ?
Active threads

eternaldarkness

Quote from: LuciferOs on January 08, 2015, 03:53:31 AM
Would she also be able to work out parts of plants and natural creatures that is valuable as components or study references ? Could she help out rubies character also ?

Where a wizard may be able to recognize components and interesting parts of say magical creatures or inanimate objects ?
Anybody with the Nature skill can do that. Druidcraft just specifically lets you determine geneaology, and actually you could use it to trace an entire family line if you could get enough members of a bloodline together. In general, i'll allow effects like this with existing spells provided they make sense - Prestidigitation, the arcane equivalent of Druidcraft, could do other things beides what's listed too if they make sense as a small, useful arcane effect.

LuciferOs

If Prestidigitation allows one to recognise valuable aspects that is worth preserving or selling,
can I change my mage armor spell to Prestidigitation in my character sheet ?
Active threads

RubySlippers

There are very few skills my character can't use.  ;D

eternaldarkness

Not that it matters, since nobody is playing one, but additional houserule for warlocks (the best class in the game, IMO :D ):

Blade pact warlocks CAN make artifacts and sentient weapons into pact weapons, and even banish them to an extradimensional space like any other pact weapon. However, sentient weapons and artifacts so affected can still employ their magical influence on the warlock and can sense the world through the warlocks senses while so banished, and sentient weapons can communicate telepathically with the warlock, and some may even be able to summon themselves without the warlocks permission.

LuciferOs

Screw it I will use "Arcana" to work out whats worth keeping.
Active threads

zenpai

I heard joke once: Man goes to doctor. Says he's depressed. Life seems harsh, and cruel. Says he feels all alone in threatening world. Doctor says: "Treatment is simple. The great clown - Pagliacci - is in town. Go see him. That should pick you up." Man bursts into tears. "But doctor..." he says "I am Pagliacci." Good joke. Everybody laugh. Roll on snare drum. Curtains.

Rorschach's Journal. October 12th, 1985: Dog carcass in alley this morning, tire tread on burst stomach. This city is afraid of me. I have seen its true face. The streets are extended gutters and the gutters are full of blood and when the drains finally scab over, all the vermin will drown. The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout "Save us!"... and I'll whisper "no."

RubySlippers

Got a new computer so sorry for the delay in posting, needed to get it set-up and anti-virus and security walks up before doing anything else.

LuciferOs

Active threads

RubySlippers

Well I like this laptop it has a bigger screen, four times the RAM memory and a 50% boost in HD memory much better than my old crappy one for playing on-line games on. But is all set-up now.

DarknessBorne

Greetings and salutations.  I am a newbie currently wending his way through the approval process, and have been hankering to take 5th Edition out for a test spin and kick the tires.

If you still have space in this game, I would like to play a fighter (archer, mainly, with ranger a possibility).  He was burned out of his village in his early teens by an orc/goblin raid.  He thus had to grow up quickly, becoming inured to an itinerant life, working as everything from a blacksmith's apprentice to caravan guard and general sell-sword.  However, his primary martial skill is the longbow, as he learned at an early age that bringing down adversaries at a distance is far safer than having to confront them in melee combat!

His alignment would best be described as Neutral with Lawful tendencies.  On the road, he has developed a personal code of honor, learning that a man's word and reputation are among the most valuable assets.  He thus strives to uphold his--though because he does this in self-interest rather than as part of a larger cosmic ethos, he gets no "Good" credit for it alignment-wise.  He will fight Evil race like those that vanquished his home, but he is a mercenary who has no special love or kindness for the rest of humanity (some of whom treated him rather poorly when he was on the road).

If including this character in your campaign interests you, please let me know.
Currently OPEN to new RPs.

Sir Percival the Gallant

Are there several games going on or just one? I'd love to try out 5e, too. I haven't played D&D in quite a while, so I'd need somewhat of a refresher, but it would probably come back. Maybe if there's a newbie group, I could join that one.

Greenwoodtree

I'm interested.  I'm familiar with 5e, really love it, and own the books as well.
"Sometimes your nearness takes my breath away; and all the things I want to say can find no voice.  Then, in silence, I can only hope my eyes will speak my heart."

Let's only say what our Hearts desire.
~Rumi

My Requests:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=243061.0
My Apologies: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=224775.0
My Preferences:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/onsoffs.php?u=56044

LuciferOs

eternaldarkness is handling this for the moment (and has a thread going).

He will be back in a few days - so you can discuss with him the possibility of joining with him soon.
Active threads

selfexiled

This caught my attention. I've been rolling in 3.5 for a good month now. Didn't know they had all the way to 5 but if you have the space I have a PC I can adjust.
Originality is fast becoming obsolete, to make a trully unique world all your own is the mark of a great writer, artist, thinker.

Uhm ONs/Offs link
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=134455.msg5990414#msg5990414

Absences:
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=180093.0

Greenwoodtree

Quote from: LuciferOs on February 09, 2015, 10:27:30 PM
eternaldarkness is handling this for the moment (and has a thread going).

He will be back in a few days - so you can discuss with him the possibility of joining with him soon.

Thank you! I really would like to join a forum game..
"Sometimes your nearness takes my breath away; and all the things I want to say can find no voice.  Then, in silence, I can only hope my eyes will speak my heart."

~Rumi

eternaldarkness

Quote from: JsHLDantes on February 15, 2015, 08:23:23 PM
Thank you! I really would like to join a forum game..

I'm back, and as a few players are presently unable to continue i'll happily accept a few more players. Just post your characters in the Character Thread here: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=220840.0

and when you're all approved, hop in the IC thread here: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=220947.0

Greenwoodtree

Quote from: eternaldarkness on February 15, 2015, 10:29:37 PM
I'm back, and as a few players are presently unable to continue i'll happily accept a few more players. Just post your characters in the Character Thread here: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=220840.0

and when you're all approved, hop in the IC thread here: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=220947.0

Give me a day or so to get a character sheet together?  I'll no doubt be a Ranger...half-elf.  What level are people starting at?

~Rumi

LuciferOs

we are all level 3 - someone else tell her how much gold we start with i cant recall.
Active threads

Greenwoodtree

Quote from: LuciferOs on February 17, 2015, 01:47:00 AM
we are all level 3 - someone else tell her how much gold we start with i cant recall.

I have a 5e PHB and DM guide.  If you are following that, I can figure it out. If not, yes, please let me know.

~Rumi