Interest in NC-Exotic Arcanepunk setting?

Started by Robyn Hood, June 19, 2013, 03:20:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Robyn Hood

I'm not one to run games, but I roleplayed a lot in the past and the Arcanepunk setting has popped in and out of my research from time to time. I was thinking for a change of pace (for me anyway) that it might be fun. I guess the most famous example would be Shadowrun.

So, anyone else interested in such a thing? Anyone out there willing to run it? I'm good with systems or not. Honestly recently I have taken a liking to systems, although something light such as FATE. Or it could just be Shadowrun.

Siereis

Can you tell us more about the Arcanepunk setting?  I assume it is something similar to steampunk?

Regardless, can you speak any more about the content or plot you expect to see in this RP?

Thanks

Ironwolf85

I think an Arcane-Punk version of my D&D cleric Aubert would be a lot of fun.
In his origional world, he was born from magic in the womb of a paladin's mount, and wound up as a well educated cleric who overthrew an arcane empire based on slavery and brutality.
Prudence, justice, temperance, courage, faith, hope, love...
debate any other aspect of my faith these are the heavenly virtues. this flawed mortal is going to try to adhere to them.

Culture: the ability to carve an intricate and beautiful bowl from the skull of a fallen enemy.
Civilization: the ability to put that psycho in prision for killing people.

Robyn Hood

Quote from: Siereis on June 19, 2013, 03:23:38 PM
Can you tell us more about the Arcanepunk setting?  I assume it is something similar to steampunk?

Regardless, can you speak any more about the content or plot you expect to see in this RP?

Thanks

Well, from my understanding Arcanepunk is where technology, magic  and the supernatural co-exist. It could be a mixture of steampunk and fantasy or future-technology and fantasy. So technomagic is ubiquitous. I wasn't quite sure about the exact content or plot yet. Just if there was enough interest in the setting before building up the plot and content.

TheVillain

Kind of curious where you're going with this, but I'd say I'm interested.
My O/O's / My A/A's / My Ideas
Update - Apologies to all my partners, real life is exploding and I've gotten far behind.

Wargtass

Played to much Shadowrun to be interested in the RP's using the systems. But what I gather this seems to be more freeform? Or am I uni-cycling in the pudding-vat?
O/O

Jezabelle

Definitely interested; had yee a fandom in mind, or would the person running it be creating their own as they went? /is partial to the latter/

Robyn Hood

Quote from: Wargtass on June 19, 2013, 06:58:06 PM
Played to much Shadowrun to be interested in the RP's using the systems. But what I gather this seems to be more freeform? Or am I uni-cycling in the pudding-vat?

Not to sound like a broken record but I've been pretty happy with the FATE (http://www.faterpg.com/) system. Which is role play heavy, integrating dice for conflict resolution but not point by point, space by space tactical tiny bits and multi-page character sheets of stats, long lists of skill/spell/equipment descriptions etc... etc...

I know that is probably a bit much for some people but I find FATE as about freeform rolling dice can get. Anyway, myself I'm alright either way. If more people would enjoy full-freeform RP to get the idea going then so be it. I just find completely unstructured games can have problems.

Wargtass

Ah, FATE, missed that one. I'm fine with it, easy enough and doesn't grind the game to a halt.  ;D
O/O

TheVillain

Never used that system, actually. Might be fun to learn.
My O/O's / My A/A's / My Ideas
Update - Apologies to all my partners, real life is exploding and I've gotten far behind.

steelsmiter

I'm of the opinion that GURPS defines the Arcanepunk genre, or rather genre mash-up. I created a setting called GURPS Western Arcana based on the premise that Movable Type Printing Presses advanced the field of magic by allowing mages to mass produce Grimoires. Tech is making a comeback with the advent of mundane gunpowder by people who'd rather not get their face blown off by demons every time they have a misfire. The problem I've been having with it is that all the sites I ever hosted it on are down.
I don't play in PMs
Who wants to join an incest registry?
O/Os
Download RPGs I wrote on my Discord!
So anyway I guess I'm steelsmiter on fetlife now. Hit me up and tell me you're from E!

RedFangedWerehawk

Quote from: Robyn Hood on June 19, 2013, 08:18:56 PM
Not to sound like a broken record but I've been pretty happy with the FATE (http://www.faterpg.com/) system. Which is role play heavy, integrating dice for conflict resolution but not point by point, space by space tactical tiny bits and multi-page character sheets of stats, long lists of skill/spell/equipment descriptions etc... etc...

I know that is probably a bit much for some people but I find FATE as about freeform rolling dice can get. Anyway, myself I'm alright either way. If more people would enjoy full-freeform RP to get the idea going then so be it. I just find completely unstructured games can have problems.

FATE is a great choice! I love how the 'Aspect' system works and encourages characters to get into trouble.  ;) In addition, it's a really easy and simple system to learn and use. I am not too familiar with the Arcane Punk genre but it sounds cool. I'm interested!

Robyn Hood

Some basic ideas for an Arcanepunk setting, free of place names that I may or may not make up later on. Just wanted to throw some more concrete ideas out and if people are still interested maybe we can actually get a game to run. I’m still fairly certain I don’t have the time to run it myself, but maybe someone would like the idea and go with it. Or I could co-run/help with any game.

More below, but to summarize, this would be sort of pulp, sort of traditional adventure. Technology is run by magic and magic is integrated into technology. I was thinking late 18th, early 19th century level of technology. Let me know what you think.

For eons Elves ruled all civilized lands. They were the first to rise from the primordial past and master the arcane arts, they were the first enlightened. They evolved above the other ancient barbaric races, fighting bitter wars against primordial races; orcs, trolls and their kin. In the end, the elves command of magic brought them total victory. For untold time they dominated the surface, their enemies retreated underground. But in the deep dark others began to break off from the savagry of the primordial races. Dwarves began to set off underground kingdoms of their own, other fae emerged from the shadowy corners and lastly humans rose to the surface.

These second generation of evolved were still no match for the long lived Elves. They were dominated by the elves, swore fealty to them and worshipped the elven Goddess of Magic. The dwarves choose to fight a war on two fronts, fortified in their strongholds. Most others simply accepted life with the elves, even treated as subordinates, as far better than the cruelty of the Primordials.  With one notable exception; humans had noble hearts and dreamed of greater things. The yoke of servitude hung heavy on their shoulders and they saw little different between the Elves and the Primordials. Finally one day, humans rebelled. Declaring their own kingdom on the far reaches of the major elven cities, that began the three hundred year war. For many, despite constant struggle, it was a golden age. An age of exploration of the unknown places, an age of heroes and villains, of conquest, glory and honor, of mythic beasts, great artifacts of power; it was a time of magic and high adventure. The determined humans pushed back the elves all across the world, making them retreat to their ancient homelands. Humans even formed alliances with some Primordials, eager to settle very old scores.

The humans did not want to eradicate the elves and offered peace but the Elves’ arrogance would not allow them to accept their new, diminished position. So one thousand years ago, the Elves simply left. Vanished from the world, with their Goddess and nearly all magic, with what little remained, technology would fill the void. The fragments of what magic remained would be the foundation, supplemented by new discoveries and natural resources. “High” magic was gone, but the Source magic took its place. Fuels, steam power, metallurgy, engineering combined with the ability to extract Source from varying elements of nature created a vast array of technomagic. Subtly at first, a few life improvements here and there but there would come guns, trains, great balloon skyships, mechanical contraptions.

Also, humans were not immune to the corrupting effects of power. With the Elves gone and vacuums of power in their place, the humans set upon themselves. Great city states arose and fell, allowing vast Empires to emerge only to rupture and give birth to nations. Humans would vastly outnumber most other races and in a sense took the place of Elves. But they were not nearly as uniform in their beliefs, attitudes and ways. Even some Primordials would integrate into human led nations in the more cosmopolitan areas. In just a couple of hundred years the old ways were dead. Old grudges replaced by modern competition for resources, fortune and power. Some still had a strong sense of racial pride, most notably the Dwarves as they clung to their ancient traditions. For most others the divisions were along geography and ideology.

Then thirty years ago the Elves returned. They were as glorious as they day they had left, still in deft command of arcane powers and as awe inspiring as the legends said. Shock would best describe their reaction to the world they returned to. Once again showing their condescension, they expected all the races to have collapsed into a pit of despair and ruin, completely underestimating the intelligence and cunning of humanity. With their return, so did various creatures of myth, long gone and some forgotten. Even after so many centuries though, no one had forgotten the long trudge under their tyranny. But the Elves did not return for conquest or even because they wanted to, they had to. An enemy was coming.

Their Goddess was no goddess at all! Merely an illusion by a creature of nightmares, little did the elves know that their ceremonies casting the souls of the deceased to the waiting gentle arms of their goddess were instead feeding a great evil. In their time away, the Elves (as long lived as they are) were depriving it of what it needed. Minds and souls. Over time it became so angry it could not maintain its subterfuge. And now it’s coming, it’s coming for everyone. Its spawn starting erupting from the very earth, rumors at first, conspiracy. After a few years it became undeniable. The Elves were right, something is nearing and it is hungry.

Wargtass

Sweet. For some reason I want to play a communist orc.  ::)

Speaking of which, what are your scopes on race, "classes" and such, if any.
O/O

Robyn Hood

If we go with FATE there would be no classes. And no real restrictions on race either. I would imagine this would all start at one of those more cosmopolitan as to keep character ideas open.

steelsmiter

Quote from: Robyn Hood on June 23, 2013, 10:28:59 PM
If we go with FATE there would be no classes. And no real restrictions on race either. I would imagine this would all start at one of those more cosmopolitan as to keep character ideas open.
Hey I love this idea, and if I join I want to be a dwarf... but of course my avatar from my 3rd favorite game should indicate that.
I don't play in PMs
Who wants to join an incest registry?
O/Os
Download RPGs I wrote on my Discord!
So anyway I guess I'm steelsmiter on fetlife now. Hit me up and tell me you're from E!

TheRaven

I'm quite interested in this. Just thought I'd let everyone know.
"Hey," said Shadow. "Huginn or Muninn, or whoever you are"
The bird turned, head tipped, suspiciously, on one side, and it stared at him with bright eyes.
"Say 'Nevermore,'" said Shadow.
"Fuck you," said the raven.

Inash

I'm still interested.  I've looked at the Fate system, and it is simultaneously intriguing and intimidating.  It may take a while for me to develop a character concept for this.

Nameless One

I'm very interested. I don't know yet what kind of character I'll put on the table, but I'm definitely interested.
It is "Torment". It is that which draws all tormented souls to you. The flesh knows it suffers, even when the mind has forgotten. And so you wear the rune always.

Ons and Offs

rancorius

I haven't used the fate system but willing to learn it if your still looking for players