The Great Modron March (Planescape, Pathfinder, LBGTQ+ friendly)

Started by TheKhan, December 09, 2018, 01:24:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chanticleer

Oh, it's Barik!

Some day I should revive that gnoll Investigator who thought she was an Oracle.
My current O/os (need work)

Runi

I realize this is down to the wire and that I know roughly nothing of Planescape beyond the name, but the concept and outline are utterly stunning. And I swear I know the modrons from somewhere, just can't place the memory.

Would like to offer my interest if a back up character is needed.
"No, Hobbes, nailing a live octopus to a wall is impossible, everything else is merely difficult." ~ John Taylor

O/o

Muse

Narissa Walker

The Kingdom of Evensong is a Xeph nation carved into the sides of a single canyon that runs for hundreds of miles from the Brightfrost Mountains to the Coast of Areez   So deep is the canyon that—in many places—the heat of the sun only shines in at high noon.  The stars can be seen in the sky at most other times. 

Ordwyn Walker was a great hero, a swordsman who wielded twin blades forged of his own zest for life, will to triumph, and compassion for his fellow man.  Many maidens loved Ordwyn dearly.  In his thirtieth year, Evelyn Chuantaclier—a legendary beauty who's ethereal voice could be heard for miles around when she lifted it in song—won his heart and devotion.  They were wed  when Ordwyn was thirty three and Evelyn 22.  They had three children. 

Narissa Walker was the eldest. Followed by her brother Danil and their sister Marmina.  They were all loved and pampered by their parents a great deal. 

When Narissa was ten, word spread of an army of horrible things invading an allied nation through a portal.  Ordwyn made an impassioned speech to the king and his council that they should march to their allies aid, saying that such horrible foes could only be defeated by unified action.  To let their neighbors die alone would only seal their own dooms. 

Many others spoke, but the king said later that he was especially moved by Ordwyn's speech.  Over the next year and a half, an alliance waged a war agianst the devils and sealed the gate.  Word came that Ordwyn himself had been slain in the final assault—one of seven heroes who held the gate so that more devils could not pass through while it was sealed. 

As the period of grieving drew to a close, tension began to grow between Narissa and Evelyn.  Despite her psionic ability, Evelyn tried to channel her daughter's interest fully into the arts, hoping  Narissa would never share her father's fate.  Narissa, on the other hand, believed her father was a great hero who's final stand had saved them all.  Though she loved to dance—and let her mother acquire the schooling that would make her especially good at it, Narissa was determined to become a powerful Ellocator, travel the world and beyond, and do heroic things the way her father had. 

Eventually Narissa—having come of age—was prepared to begin her exploration without her mother's blessing.  Evelyn relented at the last minute and held her daughter close, tears in her eyes as she held her daughter close and told her to come home safe when she was ready.  She even gave Narissa a token form her father's travels—a sigil on a tile that—if set in the right place would transport her, “To the other side of the sunset.” 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

TheKhan

Quote from: Runi on December 18, 2018, 06:34:47 PM
I realize this is down to the wire and that I know roughly nothing of Planescape beyond the name, but the concept and outline are utterly stunning. And I swear I know the modrons from somewhere, just can't place the memory.

Would like to offer my interest if a back up character is needed.

If you can work quickly, there is still time!

Quote from: Thorne on December 18, 2018, 01:04:29 PM
Alright. So, two offerings. I seriously considered tossing my perpetually drunken archer into this, but I wasn't really sure she'd /fit/. So, have this pair to choose from.
I do have full sheets for both; I just rarely post 'em until asked.

Both look cool! Would you mind PMing them to me (or links to them)? What alignments would they be?

Quote from: Phaia on December 18, 2018, 09:23:13 AM
Well since a witch has a patron. Could I explain it by going with trickery as the patron and my PC being CN?
I am not at all against spending a feat to have the wasp be a full wasp familiar like described [imp features] and also have my witch follow Calistra!
I did look at deities and none have a wasp and a few have lust/trickery as domains.

So sure I will be happy to have my PC use a feat to gain a wasp familiar and even have her follow calistra. It is Sigil after all!
That's... complicated. The better word for Witches would have been Theme. Anyhow, if you want a wasp familiar, I'd just say take it if its a major part of your character. Don't worry too much about that prerequisite since its more a story guideline than a mechanical balancer.

Chulanowa

Cutting it to the wire with not one, but TWO, two I say, character submissions! neither have any equipment listed because I hate shopping unless i know a character is "in"  ;D

Perth Amberfield, Halfling Explorer
Name: Perth Amberfield
Race: Halfling
Class: Cleric

Background: Perth's earliest memories are of stars soarign overhead in neverending ribbons, of a gentle hand stroking his brow and singing songs in a language he no longer recognizes. How he came from that idyll to... this, this mess in Sigil, he's uncertain of; there's a long gap in his memory from late childhood to just a few years ago. he remembers waking up at a shrine, having a fever tended by the lillend keeper of the place. To repay the celestial for her kindness, he began performing small services for the shrine; caretaking, alms, and the like. Through his works, and the teachings of Äuleshaie, he found faith in Desna, the Song of the Spheres... and something clicked. This was part of who he had been! But try as he might he could not draw forth more from his memory. Now, he looks out past the humble shrine, eager to get a pack on his back and the multiverse under his feet, to travel afield.

Short Term Ambitions: See the shrine to Desna in Sigil prosper; Find the edge of the city and spit off of it; Learn to play the zulkoon he has; Travel, whether among the planes or the assorted primes.
Long-Term Ambitions: Meet Desna; Sleep with Chaldira Zuzaristan (Yeah right, a halfling can dream though); Join the Spherewalkers; Recover his memories and find out what "home" is.

Daryah Movarid, badass artist
Name: Daryah Movarid
Race: Modified Cecaelia (see below)
Class: Unchained Rogue 1 / Vigilante 2

Background: Daryah would like a lot of people ot believe she's a fish out of water, so to speak, a hard-luck case just trying to get by sticking needles into people. The truth is she hails from a long, noble lineage, a veritable dynasty in the plane of water, and this is her slumming to make some jink. it's a small lie, but it works, her business attracts not just the salty sorts who want their mothers to live under their skin forever, but also other well-to-do sorts who want to slum a bit and remember the experience. it also attracts less savory sorts; after a few shakedowns by the local scumlords, Daryah took it on herself to.. .see to the situation. Despite her inexperience the ambush went well, and since then she's lived a dual life; mild-mannered inkmaiden by day, and the many arms of justice! at night. For some reason the thugs getting the crap kicked out of them seem to not put the whole "tentacles" thing together, but hey... (seamless guise + strange body plans = hilarity.)

Short-Term ambitions: Get her family off her back; acquire better training and more useful practice; expand her business - maybe franchise?; Find a steady playmate; Take a vacation from Sigil.
Long-term ambitions: Put her ink on a Power; Redeem herself to her family; gain better long-term ambitions

Adjusted Cecaelia
Apparently all of the Cecalia's traits together add up to 23 RP.. however almost all of those are only useful underwater, so, don't know how that actually balances out for this particular game; blind-sense underwater isn't too useful in mechanus, I'm guessing. still...

Monstrous Humanoid Change to humanoid; if a merfolk is a humanoid, so is an octopusfolk. (-3 RP)
Darkvision Downgrade to low-light vision (-1 RP)
Jet: She's an octopus, not a squid, so no need to have this laying around. (-1 RP)
Natural Armor: Downgrade to a +1 bonus instead of +2 (-1 RP)
Tentacle Sense: Darya hasn't been underwater in *forever*so let's say she's forgotten how to use this. (-1 RP)

...Bringing things down to 16 RP, of which 4 RP are only useful in an aquatic environment (swim speed & amphibious). Hope that could pass muster

Thorne

Quote from: Chanticleer on December 18, 2018, 06:30:09 PM
Oh, it's Barik!

Some day I should revive that gnoll Investigator who thought she was an Oracle.

Yup! It's Barik. Still grumpy and taciturn. ^^;

If he gets in. If he doesn't.. well, there'll be something else. He has time.
Writer of horrors, artist of mayhem.

Currently available, frequently lurking.
Ons and Offs
Absences and Apologies
Ideas and inspirations: small groups

Chanticleer

Khan, I'll have something up for Jolly's background in about 15 hours or so (I don't know exactly what time zone your 20th ends in but for me it has about another 19 and a half hours to go).

I got swept up in helping with holiday preparations over here and didn't have the time to finish it last night.

TheKhan

Quote from: Chanticleer on December 20, 2018, 06:47:12 AM
Khan, I'll have something up for Jolly's background in about 15 hours or so (I don't know exactly what time zone your 20th ends in but for me it has about another 19 and a half hours to go).

I got swept up in helping with holiday preparations over here and didn't have the time to finish it last night.

No worries. Last two days were busy for me too

Chanticleer

Jolia ("Jolly") Skystrider

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
Jolly grew up on the plains of Palarir, in Ysgard, where her herd followed the oracles' runecasting from place to place, always seeking greener, fresher grass...And war. Ysgard is a plane of battle and challenge, not a place for satisfaction or rest, so she grew up fighting alongside her herd, working together with her brothers and sisters to slay giants and monsters that the herd encountered in its eternal migration. Her heard exalted the spirit Tirag Thunderhooves, a Bariaur demigod of fair competition.

In the same sense that certain horse-nomads are 'born in the saddle,' the Bariaur from an early age are taught defensive tactical sense, awareness of dangers and allies, and then gradually introduced to more offensive weapons and methods. But the time she was fourteen, Jolly had struck her first killing blow for the herd (a chimera which was already mostly dead due to the combined efforts of the patrol she was juniormost in). By the time she was sixteen, she had a patrol of her own.

And then the things she started to take for granted began falling apart. The young ram who she'd had her eyes on for most of her teens went planes-wandering, and she suddenly found herself without the one she'd thought to be her true love (the bariaur are hardly monogamous, but it's not uncommon for them to have favorites who are longterm true companions).

She didn't take it well, and for a short time she did the rounds with other ewes, and over time fell in love again. This time, when her love, Tintabel, decided to go on a wanderjahr, she came along, and for a time the two ewes roamed the plains. They found Sigil fairly quickly, but Tintabel felt it was too closed, crowded, and filthy, so they moved on.

Eventually, they found death, and unlike what happened in Ysgard, when Tintabel was killed by a Soul Eater, her spirit was not set free to return to Ysgard, but was simply destroyed.

Jolly, like most Bariaurs, had died several times, and seen the death of friends before, but this was not part of the Valhallan roundabout which she was born in. There was no glorious death followed by resurrection at night and revelry until dawn. There was only the shell of Tintabel, and the creature which had killed her best friend, and very nearly killed Jolly herself, and slaying the thing didn't bring her friend back.

It shook her. It shook her terribly. All at once, she understood why the beings of so many planes she'd encountered feared death.

It also caused her to re-evaluate and finally forgive her never-returned first love, Belltempest. She doesn't know if he still lives or if he died between the planes in some way that prevented his rebirth on Ysguard.

Jolly's a little afraid to return to Ysguard herself. She's now scared to hear word that he or any of her other wandering friends were permanently destroyed. Some days she asks around after bariaur of his description in her wanderings, other days she spends burying herself in the feeling of her own flesh, straining and struggling, competing in any challenge she figures she can, trying to savor being herself, trying to do, to act, rather than think, for fear that like her friends, she herself might one day simply...Vanish.

She didn't want to return to Ysguard or her own herd, but neither did she want to be alone, so she applied to the Sensates, submitting to them a set of memories: the liminal pain of one's soul being tugged at (few survivors of Soul Eaters exist, after all), the grief when an immortal realizes they are mortal, and their friends as well, the triumph of a particularly glorious and heroic battle against a giant, the rush of being reborn in Valhalla after death, taking that first incredible breath and realizing that one is once again alive, and the taste of the fresh-stolen honey of Ysgard, freshly gathered from the hives of the giant bees that swarm there.

She was rejected, and applied to the Transcendent Order, which proved far more willing to take her. It was another recent member of the Transcendent Order, an Aasimar who initiated her into the Order of the Flame, and taught her a new code, which she is currently taking as her first step along the path towards enlightened action. Mind, it is still a first step, and like many initiates she is still too caught up in the impulses of her body.

After all, when one tells a bariaur to act unhesitatingly with the impulses which the multiverse gives them, one may expect them to be somewhat...Unrestrained. In their own lands, they're well known for being capricious and unpredictable. So those members who know her are trying to be patient with her (and many other) initiates who find it easiest to give into their more carnal and active impulses, without yet feeling the impulse to flow with that which happens around them.

It takes time and serenity to develop an awareness of those more subtle currents, and Jolly simply hasn't had very much of either, yet.

Aspirations
Jolly is still young as bariaur go, and while she's seen a bit of the multiverse and been in a fair number of battles, she's hardly the picture of a mature veteran...Her culture simply doesn't have that archetype. She remains combative and playful. She will always seek new challenges to attempt, and ways to better herself. She is also trying to find something to fill the hole in her surroundings which once was the place of her herd...Joining the Transcendents hasn't really made her feel that 'part of a community' that she hoped, and it's an open question whether she'll really make the leap of discipline and understanding required to be successful on any but the least levels of the Cyphers. Discipline isn't an easy thing for bariaur. On the other hand, the party, if it bonds well, might just provide that sense of belonging for her. In terms of longer range goals, she also occasionally flirts (diligent bariaur are kind of like dry water) with the idea of trying to find some way to bring Tintabel back, and to find (hopefully) Beltempest.

TheKhan

Thank you everyone! Sorry for the delay, it has been a busy couple of days and I had a couple of tough decisions to make here. Here are the characters for this campaign:

Chanticleer
- Jolly Skystrider - CG Female Bariaur Cavalier
Thorn -  Barik - CN Male Foulspawn Tiefling Barbarian
Gunmetal Dreamer - Sheen Gridman - TN Female Android Investigator
Muse - Narissa Walker - CG Female Xeph Psion (Nomad)

Please finalize your character sheets and post them in the OCC thread here.