Sometimes people do come around...

Started by Cyrano Johnson, June 20, 2013, 02:54:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cyrano Johnson

]Exodus Ministries closes its doors and apologizes for the decades of harm and humiliation it inflicted on gay people.

Only took thirty-seven years, but a win is a win.

Rocky, would you care to weigh in?

I concur.
Artichoke the gorilla halibut! Freedom! Remember Bubba the Love Sponge!

Cyrano Johnson's ONs & OFFs
Cyrano Johnson's Apologies & Absences

Blythe

I'm glad that particular ministry is closing; it needed to. There would have been no way to salvage it, at least in my opinion.

I thought it was interesting in his full apology that Chambers still mentions that he essentially believes LGBTQ marriage/sex is wrong but will attempt to exercise his beliefs with care and respect for those around him. Only time will tell if that will be the case.

Oniya

I saw in another thread that he's starting something called reducefear.org - but things are still sketchy on that.  If he's truly come around, then I hope this is something to reduce intolerance and hate (since 'fear' is a distinct misnomer).
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Cyrano Johnson

Quote from: Oniya on June 21, 2013, 09:09:44 AMI saw in another thread that he's starting something called reducefear.org - but things are still sketchy on that.  If he's truly come around, then I hope this is something to reduce intolerance and hate (since 'fear' is a distinct misnomer).

Although it could be fairly argued that most hate springs from fear; I do think it's justly called "homophobia."

It will indeed be interesting to see if he follows through with something genuinely positive. The apology is a beginning, but only if it signals a real willingness to be part of the solution instead of the problem; there is really no way to just say "whoops, sorry" for having driven people to despair and even suicide, and to his credit he does at least sound like he's aware of that.
Artichoke the gorilla halibut! Freedom! Remember Bubba the Love Sponge!

Cyrano Johnson's ONs & OFFs
Cyrano Johnson's Apologies & Absences

Blythe

Quote from: Oniya on June 21, 2013, 09:09:44 AM
I saw in another thread that he's starting something called reducefear.org - but things are still sketchy on that.  If he's truly come around, then I hope this is something to reduce intolerance and hate (since 'fear' is a distinct misnomer).

I hadn't heard about that. That does, hopefully, show some promise, if he's going to be starting an organization that would be constructive and positive. I'm interested to see how he'll go about that.

Quote from: Cyrano Johnson on June 21, 2013, 12:34:24 PM
Although it could be fairly argued that most hate springs from fear; I do think it's justly called "homophobia."

It will indeed be interesting to see if he follows through with something genuinely positive. The apology is a beginning, but only if it signals a real willingness to be part of the solution instead of the problem; there is really no way to just say "whoops, sorry" for having driven people to despair and even suicide, and to his credit he does at least sound like he's aware of that.

I felt like in a religious sense, rejection of LGBTQA rights and persecuting them as fear (not so much hate per se), since there is the looming threat that the behavior would be seen as sinful and warranting punishment. So in that sense, I think "homophobia" is appropriate when applied to those who treat non-hetero sexualities and gender identities badly, since many do so out of a fear of hell (for self and others), in a way. It does tie back into fear, at least in this sense, to some degree.

I definitely think the apology and closing that ministry's doors is a good first step. I actually look forward to this man following through with some better behavior, even if I'm skeptical about it.

WildCat

All in all, it's a very hopeful sign. The arc of history is long. And with each passing day we bend a little more toward justice. :)

Thank you, Dr. King.
ONS and OFFS: Make Wildcat purr
Absence: Where's the cheshire Cat?

Don't want to lose track of crossrealms and my room

Missy

It sounds good to me, we see more and more signs of progress as time goes on, so any step away from super-conservatism is a good thing.

I personally don't care what other people believe as long a they're not trying to tell me or other people who don't share their beliefs how to live or what to think. You don't want to be gay? Fine, don't be! I really don't care.

Skynet

Reduce Fear's Mission Statement (website got updated):

QuoteWe serve in our pluralistic culture by hosting safe conversations about gender and sexuality, and partnering with others to reduce fear, inspire hope, and cultivate human flourishing.

Still incredibly vague.

Oniya

'Pluralistic' does seem to imply a multitude of 'acceptable' paths.  I like the word 'safe' in there, too.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17