Resources for Playing D&D Online?

Started by Avi, February 03, 2008, 12:04:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Avi

I've been scouring the internet for websites that have programs for playing table-top D&D on the internet.  I have failed, repeatedly, to find any real games near me, and I'm starting to go into withdrawal. Lol  So, if anyone can point me in the right direction, it'd be hugely appreciated! 
Your reality doesn't apply to me...

kongming

*scratches head* You want to play it tabletop over the Internet? Wha? I'm not sure what you mean. Like... a real-time server with a map program, everyone logs in and it has a chat box, tokens to move around the map, dice rollers and stuff?
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.

I have a catapult. Give me all the money, or I will fling an enormous rock at your head.

Ons/Offs:
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=9536.msg338515

Brandon

You would be better off switching to Exalted or the world of darkness. Thats all I will say about that.

Here are a few other roleplaying websites I have used in the past or am using now that have D&D games. Unfortunatly I dont have many considering I quit D&D a long time ago.

http://www.rpol.net/
http://www.myth-weavers.com/

When 4th edition comes out there should be a new system in place for more table top style of play but there will likely be a monthly fee too.
Brandon: What makes him tick? - My on's and off's - My open games thread - My Away Thread
Limits: I do not, under any circumstances play out scenes involving M/M, non-con, or toilet play

Avi

KM:  Yeah, that's kinda what I'm looking for.  Or at least one in which I can interact with different people in real time, not just by play-by-post.  Basically something that takes the mechanics of the game into account rather than just what people write.  (I know it's a lot to ask for, but this is really my only option at this point... *sob*)

Brandon:  Thanks, I'll check those out.  I've not played anything other than D&D, so... >_>

Brandon

Well if I can corrupt you into trying another system let me know and Ill pass you some info on the World of darkness, Scion, and Exalted. Ive even got a badass site where you can play the World of darkness line ;)
Brandon: What makes him tick? - My on's and off's - My open games thread - My Away Thread
Limits: I do not, under any circumstances play out scenes involving M/M, non-con, or toilet play

kongming

Don't listen to Brandon, the World of Dorkness is shit. In the old WoD, the system was the worst you could ever get, and the setting was "kind of lame", and in the new one, the setting is really lame and the system is still pretty damn bad,
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.

I have a catapult. Give me all the money, or I will fling an enormous rock at your head.

Ons/Offs:
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=9536.msg338515

Vekseid

Kongming, it is one thing to consider a setting to be crap, but don't tell people to ignore others without due cause. Thank you.

OpenRPG is probably the primary on-line roleplaying tool around, short of IRC chat.  There are others but Open has hundreds of players on at times, and a dozen or so separate forums simply for recruitment purposes.

Avi

Oooh!  Vekseid, this is exactly what I was lookin' for. Thanks so much!

Spookie Monster

I myself have been toying with the idea of trying to get a game going using a program like OpenRPG combined with a program like Roger Wilco.  I don't know whether or not it's feasible; if you've got the right gear, though, you yourself might give it a shot!

Best of luck to you in your online gaming goals, aviationrox! :)

Spel
Like Elliquiy?
My ONs and OFFs
~ R.I.P., Cam ~ ~ R.I.P., Judi ~ ~ R.I.P., Steph ~

Vekseid

Most people use Skype or Teamspeak.

There are a number of mutes using OpenRPG, however, so it's not possible for everyone.

stanley

I've used OpenRPG before, and I really like it.  I can be somewhat difficult to set up at first, but once it's up and running, it's great.  There is an online tutorial/FAQ, which I've found to be really useful; I used it to go from knowing nothing about how to make the program work to knowing how to coach others a bit. 

I do highly recommend an IRC though.  Waiting for everyone to TYPE everything out can be...arduous, to put it nicely.   :-\

Inerrant Lust

Literally hundreds of people playing by forum here, and a few play by IRC or somesuch.

Plus, it's host to D&D's best webcomic, Order of the Stick. ^_^