The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Started by Inkidu, January 11, 2011, 09:06:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hemingway

Quote from: Inkidu on June 08, 2011, 03:19:51 PM
Yeah, Shivering Ilse god is such a figure head. Ooh, I can control the weather (only in my domain), I can summon sexy, creepy guards (in my domain), it's really a figurehead kind of thing. I saw a freaking radial force push. Take that, wolves, deer, villagers, mammoths, etc.

You're still a Daedra, though. Or ... well, you may still be mortal and all, but you are Sheogorath.

I wonder if that's going to clash with canon in Skyrim. I wonder if they'll just ignore it. It seems like sort of a big deal that the Champion of Cyrodiil becomes Sheogorath, but ... ah.

Inkidu

Quote from: Hemingway on June 08, 2011, 04:52:19 PM
You're still a Daedra, though. Or ... well, you may still be mortal and all, but you are Sheogorath.

I wonder if that's going to clash with canon in Skyrim. I wonder if they'll just ignore it. It seems like sort of a big deal that the Champion of Cyrodiil becomes Sheogorath, but ... ah.
They fixed it when you went to his statue after becoming a Daedra lord. The most awesome butler ever gives you the job.

If it were me I would ignore it... here me out. Just call him Sheogorath, the champion disappears and the world of madness takes on a different tint. That kind of thing, don't make a big production out of it. Still, some might see it as shoddy writing and not strategic ignoring.

Honestly Nord-land doesn't seem the daedra type. That's a Cyrodil kind of thing. Heck even in Morrowind they're kind of downplayed for good portions of it. There'll probably be some mention of the Oblivion thing, but it's been quite a number of years, if they're smart it'll be about the Nordic civil war and the return of the World Eater.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Hemingway

Quote from: Inkidu on June 08, 2011, 06:32:15 PM
Honestly Nord-land doesn't seem the daedra type. That's a Cyrodil kind of thing. Heck even in Morrowind they're kind of downplayed for good portions of it. There'll probably be some mention of the Oblivion thing, but it's been quite a number of years, if they're smart it'll be about the Nordic civil war and the return of the World Eater.

The Oblivion crisis may have centered around Cyrodiil, but it wouldn't be an Elder Scrolls game without them playing a central part.

Inkidu

Quote from: Hemingway on June 08, 2011, 06:57:07 PM
The Oblivion crisis may have centered around Cyrodiil, but it wouldn't be an Elder Scrolls game without them playing a central part.
Yeah, but I hope they're not overt. They need to do it subtly overt demon politics was last game, this game it's more about the dragons... but what do daedra and dragons have in common.

Two powerful entities. I mean if a dragon went to a realm of oblivion then they'd be out of odds, but wait... Cyrodil is a land of oblivion that shut out dragons and daedra... what if daedra realms are being consumed by this world eater?
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Hemingway

Quote from: Inkidu on June 08, 2011, 07:16:59 PM
Yeah, but I hope they're not overt. They need to do it subtly overt demon politics was last game, this game it's more about the dragons... but what do daedra and dragons have in common.

Two powerful entities. I mean if a dragon went to a realm of oblivion then they'd be out of odds, but wait... Cyrodil is a land of oblivion that shut out dragons and daedra... what if daedra realms are being consumed by this world eater?

I think you're exaggerating Cyrodiil's relation to Oblivion. I don't think Cyrodiil has a special role, aside from being the site of the Dragonfires. The Daedra are everywhere. If anything, I think Sumerset Isles would be a more likely candidate for the center of, err, Daedra-related plots.

What exactly the connection is, if any, between dragons and Daedra, I couldn't guess at. But given the name of the Dragonfires and all, I assume there is some sort of connection. I'd find it interesting if you allied with Daedra somehow. At least temporarily. They're such interesting creatures.

Inkidu

Quote from: Hemingway on June 08, 2011, 07:31:08 PM
I think you're exaggerating Cyrodiil's relation to Oblivion. I don't think Cyrodiil has a special role, aside from being the site of the Dragonfires. The Daedra are everywhere. If anything, I think Sumerset Isles would be a more likely candidate for the center of, err, Daedra-related plots.

What exactly the connection is, if any, between dragons and Daedra, I couldn't guess at. But given the name of the Dragonfires and all, I assume there is some sort of connection. I'd find it interesting if you allied with Daedra somehow. At least temporarily. They're such interesting creatures.
Cyrodil is a land of oblivion dude, it's just had its lord overthrown. Dragons have been flung from the world of man. Now they're back, the dragon fires are gone. Maybe the connection to Cyroil is a bit off, but there is something to this oblivion dragon thing.

Inkidu

There's a dragon shout that at least resurrects chickens. I use it.

So with Skyrim less than two weeks from its catchy release date a lot of stuff has been reported on.

Still, the thing that creeps me out is this.

Comparing Skyrim and Oblivion Character Models HD

Looks like someone learned how to use a platform better. Way to go guys, in the same generation.

Chris Brady

This is looking awesome.  After 5 years, I'm FINALLY getting into Oblivion.  So hopefully I won't be too overwhelmed when Skyrim comes out this month.  Nord Warrior here I come!
My O&Os Peruse at your doom.

So I make a A&A thread but do I put it here?  No.  Of course not.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

Inkidu

SKYRIM character creation examples from all races

The Nords look awesome this time around.

Although... is it just me or are female orcs kind of hot now?

Jacqueline

Don't hate me for this but... I think that most of them look pretty ugly, I think that I only saw one of two decent looking female faces, one was Breton I think, the other Nord.

Inkidu

Quote from: Elenwe on October 31, 2011, 07:50:13 AM
Don't hate me for this but... I think that most of them look pretty ugly, I think that I only saw one of two decent looking female faces, one was Breton I think, the other Nord.
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. *Shrug*

Personal preferences aside, when you compare them to Oblivion they're miles ahead. Plus, this only displays the presets. Skyrim's going to let you create your own face.

Jacqueline

Well that's nice, I just hope that it's not very complicated, some games seems to require you to have a degree on 3D modeling just to create a good looking face.

Vekseid

Quote from: Elenwe on October 31, 2011, 07:50:13 AM

I imagine the mod community is going to hit this like they hit Oblivion.

* Vekseid does use the HGEC females >_>

Jacqueline

That's true! I forgot about mods. In Mass Efeect 2 I used a Miranda's clothing mod, just so I didn't have to run around with bulky armor on my lady Shepard.

Inkidu

You know, I'm all for mods, but something is wrong when "Don't worry they'll fix it with mods" is the first thing said at the slightest grievance one might have with a game.

Seriously, the models look pretty good and no one really knows all the options available. Can we give default a chance?

Jacqueline

I'm still not sure if my laptop will be able to handle this game... who knows how will it look like on it. Anyway I just hope that they release a fine polished game.

Chris Brady

I like the look.  They aren't pretty (And I'm talking both male and female models, as I'm going to be playing a male to start, and a Warrior.  Maybe Warrior/Thief) but they look 'authentic', you know, medieval.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

Inkidu

Quote from: Chris Brady on November 02, 2011, 05:06:39 AM
I like the look.  They aren't pretty (And I'm talking both male and female models, as I'm going to be playing a male to start, and a Warrior.  Maybe Warrior/Thief) but they look 'authentic', you know, medieval.
To be fair, those are just presets. It's probably very easy to make an attractive character.

However, this is not important.

Slow-motion decapitations, slow-mo decap...

Chris Brady

Quote from: Inkidu on November 02, 2011, 07:17:02 PM
Slow-motion decapitations, slow-mo decap...
Not something I haven't seen before.  Like Age of Conan, for example, has a whole slew of finishing moves.

Inkidu

Quote from: Chris Brady on November 02, 2011, 07:20:51 PM
Not something I haven't seen before.  Like Age of Conan, for example, has a whole slew of finishing moves.
Okay, let me reiterate:

Slow-mo decaps, possibly from first person.

Plus a whole ton of first and third-person finishers depending on the enemy being killed and the weapon in hand.

Chris Brady

Just like Age of Conan.  Although, I don't think it does it first person, but like I said, nothing I haven't seen before.  But still awesome.  Personally, I want MORE games to do that.

Jacqueline

Does that mean that there will be blood literally splashing on my screen? The first time that I saw that effect it totally took me by surprise, it made me giggle.

DudelRok

* Dudel weeps as another Elder Scrolls comes out and he can not play due to PC suckage and/or not having current gen system.

Though I'm tempted to skip Oblivion outright.

I AM THE RETURN!

DudelWiki | On/Off Thread | A/A Thread

Inkidu

Quote from: DudelRok on November 04, 2011, 08:11:32 AM
* Dudel weeps as another Elder Scrolls comes out and he can not play due to PC suckage and/or not having current gen system.

Though I'm tempted to skip Oblivion outright.
Actually, from all the comments I've read the PC gaming community says that the specs are tame.

Dual-core CPU, 2.0 GHz or faster
    2 GB RAM
    DirectX 9.0c video card with 512 MB RAM
    6 GB HDD space
    Windows XP/Vista/7 [32 or 64-bit]
    Internet access for Steam activation

And the recommended spec:

Quad-core CPU
    4 GB RAM
    DirectX 9.0c video card with 1 GB RAM - GTX 260/Radeon 4890 or higher
    6 GB HDD space
    Windows XP/Vista/7, internet access, etc.

Of course, we're talking the PC here so there's no telling what those people actually mean.

Xanatos

There is NO WAY IN HELL Skyrim will require the same system requirements. I run PC and I can tell just from the videos alone that Skyrim blows Oblivion out of the water with ease. Its character graphics alone will require a much better graphics card. The 3D map will eat up tons of RAM. The hard-drive space will be twice as big if not bigger.

The creators intentionally wanted to push the limits with what they could do for this particular generation (I'm not talking bleeding edge, though). They certainly will not have skimped and used old tech requirements. If they had, it would just be another Oblivion.