Name the Bronx Zoo Cobra!

Started by Jag, April 05, 2011, 09:12:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jag

QuoteThe Egyptian cobra that turned into media darling after its escape and subsequent capture at the Bronx Zoo is looking for a name.

The Bronx Zoo and the New York Daily News are asking the public to vote for the best name of the mischievous cobra. After receiving 33,000 suggestions, they whittled the list down to five nominations, zoo spokesman Stephen Fairchild told CNN.

The options are:

-- Agnes, which is Greek for pure or holy, and is also a reference to St. Agnes.

-- Amaunet, an ancient Egyptian goddess, meaning 'the female hidden one."

-- Cleopatra, the last ruler of ancient Egypt, who supposedly killed herself by means of an Egyptian cobra bite.

-- Subira, which is Egyptian for patient.

-- Mia, an abbreviation for Missing In Action.

The public can vote for their favorite names on the zoo's website.

The 3-ounce, 20-inch reptile slithered out of her enclosure on March 26 and turned up five days later, after zoo officials scattered rodent-scented wood shavings to lure her out in hopes of a meal.

Zoo officials still don't know how the snake got out, director Jim Breheny said.

"Anyone who has ever dealt with snakes or kept snakes knows that they are notorious as escape artists," he said.

The disappearance of an animal whose venom can kill an elephant in three hours and a human in 15 minutes sparked more amusement than panic, drawing 200,000 followers to an anonymously authored Twitter feed. It had the snake taking tours of the city and threatening to drop down the chimneys of unsuspecting city dwellers.

All the attention has brought plenty of notice to the zoo, Breheny said with a laugh.

"It certainly has put us out there," he said. "But we would have preferred to be out there for another reason."

Zoo workers will closely monitor the snake to make sure she's suffered no ill effects from her escapade, then will put her back on display so people who have been so supportive since her disappearance have a chance to see her, Breheny said.

The winning name will be announced on Thursday. -Source

I think it's a rather cute idea. That cobra got the zoo so much attention and she deserves a name. ^^ You can vote for your favorite of the 5 names HERE.

I voted for Amaunet.
Ons/Offs // Request Thread (Updated 3/10/24) // Slow to Reply at the Moment

Oniya

Bah - I'd be writing in Baroness, for (hopefully) obvious reasons.  *is really quite bad at naming things*
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Callie Del Noire

I'm thinking 'Houdini' would work too. Or the 'Bird Lady of Alcatraz/Bronx Zoo'!

arietta

I like Amaunet as well. I also liked Subira but Amaunet fits better I think.

CmdrRenegade

I used to go to that zoo alot when I was a kid and planned on going back this summer.  Now I'm paranoid about what other animals might get loose.........I say Amaunet followed by Cleopatra
"Every creative act is open war against The Way It Is."-Tycho Brahe of Penny Arcade

I'm CmdrRenegade and these are my Ons and Offs and Apologies and Abcenses on Elliquiy.

Wolfy

Quote from: CmdrRenegade on April 05, 2011, 09:47:40 PM
I used to go to that zoo alot when I was a kid and planned on going back this summer.  Now I'm paranoid about what other animals might get loose.........I say Amaunet followed by Cleopatra

Psh..forget the Zoo.

Imagine what animals are loose in your own backyard!

Geeklet

Quote from: Oniya on April 05, 2011, 10:19:27 AM
Bah - I'd be writing in Baroness, for (hopefully) obvious reasons.  *is really quite bad at naming things*

I like it!

Jag

Well, voting closed and the name was chosen:

Mia!

I'm not all that happy about that choice, but it makes sense. Missing In Action. Haha, I get it. :P Still, I would have preferred if people managed to vote for a more Egyptian name. Oh well...
Ons/Offs // Request Thread (Updated 3/10/24) // Slow to Reply at the Moment

Sel Nar

Yeah, but with a more egyptian name you confuse people that can't figure out how to pronounce it. Least MIA is simple, right? :P

Oniya

There are people that can't pronounce Cleopatra?
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

CmdrRenegade

"Every creative act is open war against The Way It Is."-Tycho Brahe of Penny Arcade

I'm CmdrRenegade and these are my Ons and Offs and Apologies and Abcenses on Elliquiy.