Dragon Riders of Pern : Interest Check

Started by SweetSerenade, December 05, 2014, 05:56:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Angie

I prefer female, but I also don't really care what you call me. I know some people are sensitive and I don't wish to insult anyone, but I'm fairly thick skinned and couldn't care less, as long as you're cool, we're cool.
Avatar is by Lemonfont. Will remove it if he asks me to.

Come check the Cyberpunk Images Thread!

SweetSerenade

Just popping in with a note that you guys will see in the info that will get put up as time goes on in the next... whatever time period it takes... XD

Ummm so yeah, thinking about how to say this.

Basically, we are going pretty Canon Pern in some aspects, and twisting just a little for societal changes.

We will allow what is called 'Stand-ins' for flights. But only Green flights. Stand In is when a rider severaly objects to a particuarly Rider ending up their partner during a mating flight.

IE Saria doesn't want to fu T'd. So she leaves to sequester herself with D'rk.

ONLY Green riders can do this, and ONLY with GM permission.

After some research I also discovered that dragons are NOT influenced by their Riders preferences. This means the Dragon Chooses teh Dragon they find most suited for the flight.

So people do not end up doing things they are not comfortable with, you may request to 'close'  your flight - or you can take the option of a 'black out' when the Green has chosen the Male she wants. This way you do not have to write a sex scene you will not enjoy, and you will not have to do something you are not comfortable with.

What this means is you will not be 'forced' to roleplay a sexual scene you have no interest in. But just because your Dragon Chooses a Dragon and fuck that rider does not mean you have to be in a relationship with them. In the Weyrs they are much more sexually open. A Rider is more than allowed to have a weyrmate, and that weyrmate will never take incidence with the flight sex that happens.

Unless they were raised ina  hold and they are still new to the Weyr and are stuck up... XP

So Stand-INs are allowed for Green Flights only. This is because Gold Flights are very important, and it is often believed the full unity of Dragons and Riders and full um... you know between both parties, produces the best clutch. The higher a dragon gets, the longer her flight is, the larger the Gold's clutch.

As Anne said
"The Dragon Decides, The Rider Complies"

Bakemono Shiki RP(Lovely Siggy Layout is thanks to Amaris)

Caela

That's actually an interesting point. I remember when I was first reading DragonRiders of Pern and Lessa was exceptionally worried about Ramoth's first flight because she'd been told that sometimes it wasn't necessarily what a Rider wanted for herself and her dragon that mattered, that the mood of the Weyr could affect the outcome of a flight as well. That sometimes if an overwhelming majority of a Weyr were pulling for a specific outcome it happened.

I was fairly young the first time I read the books (somewhere between 10-12) and all I remember was worrying that Lessa was going to end up, basically, raped because she had NO interest in the current Weyrleader at the time, in fact she damned near hated him! Was insanely glad (I was YOUNG! lol) when that didn't happen, even though I knew it was really unlikely since they'd been building to a whole change in leadership.

Caela

How will who takes a Queen in her mating flight be determined? Will the bronzes roll for it or something?

SweetSerenade

I was thinking about implimenting a Mating Flight System specific to Golds where the males had two rounds to enter the flight. After that they would be barred from Joining. After the Second Round of the flight the Gold would keep flying till the males had all been picked off and down to the ones who passed the test. THen the Gold can make her choice.

Number generator can be used for it, or whoever writes the best response to the gold (Because in the books it says they pick the best fliers for their mates).

As a side note, with the exception of Skies of Pern - Rape is not something they consider happening during a mating flight. It is not the male riders fault if he forces himself upon someone as a result of the flight. The Riders literally have NO control over themselves. They do the down and nasty any way they can find it. Because the telepathic link with the dragons is so strong it overrides their own mentality.

BUT as I said, to prevent people having their preferences upset - or being pushed to places they are uncomfortable - I am allowing Stand-Ins for Greenflights so someone has their preferred partner.

Also for FLIGHTS ONLY I will allow ANYONE to bring in an NPC into the Mating Flight.

Note Browns and BLues are more likely to catch Greens. Blues are preferred by Greens.

Bronze and Browns are the ONLY dragons with a chance of catching a Gold. Blues lack the stamina or size needed for such a flight.

Angie

Perhaps now is a good time to say I don't do NC. At all.

Caela

As an adult, I can appreciate the fine distinction between what happens in a mating flight, and what the Rider might choose to do when in their right mind...but like I said, I was fairly young the first time I read the books and my world was a LOT more black and white then. :) At that age, it seemed like it would have been rape. All things considered, I was really probably too young to appreciate a lot of those distinctions the first time I read them, but my reading skills always did outstrip my emotional maturity at that age.

SweetSerenade

Quote from: Angiejuusan on December 06, 2014, 11:32:11 PM
Perhaps now is a good time to say I don't do NC. At all.

That is perfectly fine. YOu will not be forced to RP something you would not like. But I should make a distinction that on Pern they do not think like we do.

What happens from a mating flight is not really considered rape, nor is it considered Non-consensual. It is differnet in our world, which is why I am offering players the outs they want/need.

Quote from: Caela on December 06, 2014, 11:32:41 PM
As an adult, I can appreciate the fine distinction between what happens in a mating flight, and what the Rider might choose to do when in their right mind...but like I said, I was fairly young the first time I read the books and my world was a LOT more black and white then. :) At that age, it seemed like it would have been rape. All things considered, I was really probably too young to appreciate a lot of those distinctions the first time I read them, but my reading skills always did outstrip my emotional maturity at that age.

XD I just hated the Weyrleader at the time. But either way, if you need anymore information you can always feel free to ask. :D which is why I am also making sure all the information is provided. >.<

Verasaille

Could we maybe implement a black out or closed door/fade away for the sex scenes if it is something not wanted? Not trying to be a stickler. But it seems we are all kind of jumping the gun here. Who knows, since we are all ladies here, I bet we write some pretty great sex scenes!!
I have gone off in search of myself. If I should get back before I return, please keep me here.

Caela

Sweet did say that, when it came to mating flights, a fade to black for the human participants would be acceptable if the dragons chosen pairing wasn't acceptable to the writers. She also said mating flights should really be the only time this is an issue as rape was just not really a thing in Pern.

Chrystal

Okay, now see what happens?

I go to get my much needed beauty sleep and the thread explodes!

And I don't want to sound too smug, Sweet, but "I told you so...!" *sniggers*

Okay, here's the way it works:

Game Time vv Real Time

Anyone who has participated in more than one group game on E will know this. Every day of game time can take anything up to six months of real time to play out.

With judicious use of time-skips, it is possible for the GMs to keep things moving for the purposes of telling a story, but in a sandbox that becomes much more difficult to achieve..

Mating flights

There will only ever be ONE mating flight in a weyr in a day. The reason for this is that if two female dragons rise to mate at the same time, they are competing for the males, and they will fight. Prideth and Wirenth (both gold) rose to mate together and fought, resulting in the deaths of both dragons. (Dragon Quest)

So, here's the thing. It is HIGHLY UNLIKELY that more than a couple of characters will get to play out mating flights!

My best suggestion for those like myself who do NOT wish to play out such scenes is to simply assume they happen, and that your character ends up having mating sex with a NPC.

Players who specifically wish to play out a mating flight should contact myself and Sweet so that we can be sure to schedule youy in for a mating flight!

Please check out my latest A/A post.
I would rather watch a movie then have dinner than have dinner then watch a movie!

SweetSerenade

Only gold dragons fight. Greens don't. They just don't care enough. More detailed response when I get back..

SweetSerenade

Actually, because we are going to be putting all the info on a Wiki, instead of on threads... we can use our threads for different gaming sections. For instance, people can be at the Gather - in the Weyr - or at another GM approved Location. THis way we can weave several stories at once, keep them in that thread. When the stories are done, they will be added to the list of 'history' for the game. I need to re-research how the date system of Pern works - so that I can help people set 'dates' for their threads/posts. This way we can keep an official 'timeline' for the game.

We need to figure out which Forum the game will be based in. I was figuring Bondage exotics is the best fit?

In other news, I will try to set up a specific time system for this game.  To make time move more appropriately. On the forums I have run we usually set One month our time equals a 4 month span in Pern. But because Elliquiy has such a diverse amount of time players - I will set it up so that One month our time is 2 months theirs.  What this means, is after the first hatching - there will be adoptables for the others in the dragon clutch that do not impress to PC characters - as long as you post in your lessons, you can post your character in any timespan in the 2 month Pern period. Lessons will have their own threads for Weyrlings/Candidates (Because Candidates that do not impress DO have lessons to attend).

This offers many oppourtunities for posting, and getting post counts up. The cool thing about Lessons will be is I offer an 'opt out' option. Where if you can PM me and show you can give adequate knowledge on the lesson at hand, you can opt out of that Lesson. Some Lessons will be required posting, like the Weyrling Sex Ed course (Where you learn about dragons and their sexuality and how it effects Riders/Holdfolk/Craft Halls)

There will also only be one lesson each 'Pern Month' In the turn of the game. (One Turn = 8 months our time).

BUT and this is a HUGE butt... .I was considering the possibility of a plot contrivance which will basically be a 'Timing it' Section where you do not have to go through Lessons this first part of the game. Because we have thread coming, and it is coming very very soon - I mean within the first month of our game, the Weyrleader and Weyrwoman may be taking the option of sending Weyrlings back, (With Weyrlings from other Weyrs) With a selection of Riders and Crafters and the like, so that the Weyrlings can advance their skills rapidly (We can literally do a simple time skip for this) - and have the Weyrlings return a few months before their Graduation.

What are your ideas? I want players to have some say in the game, and I am super sorry if things sound confusing and convulted.

SweetSerenade

Update to the First post! Thanks to Chrystal we will now have a Wiki for the game! It is still under construction, but you can see the world unfold before your eyes! I should have the bulk of information up by the end of the week. But no SUPER promises on this, as I still have 8 candles to make (Stained Glass Painting) and I have to do them all at once for the 'lead' lining, because it takes 8 hours to cure... then paint them all, and then after that I have a week before I can owwrk on them again and can write up tons and tons of info for all of you.

DonGiovanni

I am interested. Very new to online role play, and I haven't read the newer books in the Pern series, though I read the originals several times.
Count me in if you have the patience to deal with a newbie.
Good writer, but new to erotic role play. Who will become my muse?

SweetSerenade

Quote from: DonGiovanni on December 07, 2014, 11:35:21 AM
I am interested. Very new to online role play, and I haven't read the newer books in the Pern series, though I read the originals several times.
Count me in if you have the patience to deal with a newbie.

ITS A BOY! *gasps* Sorry... you are rather Rare in the Pern circuit.

We are always open to helping Newbies, and I am very good at walking people through. We are woking on a Wiki for the game right now, with most information that will be needed. Everything from how this game runs to what the differences are between it and Canon... and also things like common used references and words, shite like that. :D

We are always up for helping people with character creation! Glad to have you on board! I will add you to the list!

Chrystal

Concerning The Wiki

As everyone probably knows, a Wiki page is open to anyone to edit as long as they are a member of the site in question.

I would like to think this goes without saying, but I shall say it anyway, just because!

Please could people refrain from making edits to the Wiki? Aside from being a work-in-progress, Sweet and I are putting a lot of work into it for you guys and gals. If we have to keep tracking other people's changes, working out what was changed and by whom, and then putting things back the way they were, it will make things that much harder for us, and will delay the start of the game!

Thanks.

I would rather watch a movie then have dinner than have dinner then watch a movie!

SweetSerenade

When you need changes done to your character, after we have the Wiki finalized, we simply ask that you take the section being added, or modified and PM it to us. So that we can add it in. It makes our job much much easier, and makes things more streamlined for everyone!

At this point I would like all players to read the rules section of the Wiki and let me know that they will comply :D

Caela

Rules are easy enough to comply with and the wiki is looking good ladies!

Angie

Bluh, why do I need sleep?

Anyway, yes, I agree to the rules. I'm curious to ask exactly how one 'breaks' a freeform setting (referring to rule 5) but don't tell me because I'll immediately start plotting to do so.

Also, how old would my Healer have to be to be considered a Master?

SweetSerenade

Quote from: Angiejuusan on December 07, 2014, 12:44:54 PM

Anyway, yes, I agree to the rules. I'm curious to ask exactly how one 'breaks' a freeform setting (referring to rule 5) but don't tell me because I'll immediately start plotting to do so.

Also, how old would my Healer have to be to be considered a Master?

At least 40 I would think. Generally people take about ten turns to become a Journeyman. From there it takes about twenty turns to become a Master, unless you are exceptionally skilled and are made one around 35. But no Masters that are under 35 >.<

Chrystal

Quote from: Angiejuusan on December 07, 2014, 12:44:54 PM

It is unfortunately a biological necessity....

QuoteAnyway, yes, I agree to the rules. I'm curious to ask exactly how one 'breaks' a freeform setting (referring to rule 5) but don't tell me because I'll immediately start plotting to do so.

Not sure. I'll have to have a look into that....

QuoteAlso, how old would my Healer have to be to be considered a Master?

This is data that will be added over the coming days and nights, along with everyone else's....

... But I expect Sweet can give you a definitive answer anyway. But to be honest, think of it as qualifying for a Medical Doctorate on Earth!

Angie

He won't even be that different from his World of Darkness incarnation then-just lacking all the Magic he has over there. And it makes sense that he's at least 40, considering I'm planning on throwing Dean in as his son. Gotta account for logistics and all.

SweetSerenade

Quote from: Angiejuusan on December 07, 2014, 12:55:28 PM
He won't even be that different from his World of Darkness incarnation then-just lacking all the Magic he has over there. And it makes sense that he's at least 40, considering I'm planning on throwing Dean in as his son. Gotta account for logistics and all.

Yep! Do take into account that normal Apprenticeship takes 10 turns. After you pass apprentice you are allowed to pick your Journeyman specialty... unless you want to learn a little of each. So if by 18-20 turns he was a Journeyman (Saying he started his apprenticeship between 8-10, as is common). He would then spend 20 turns harnessing his craft and learning the capabilities of a Master Trauma Healer :D

Ms Gavane

Wiki looks good. Rules are clear and seem easy to follow.
O/O