News:

Main Menu

Terminator Franchise.

Started by Lustful Bride, November 26, 2014, 03:31:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Inkidu

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on December 05, 2014, 07:14:51 PM
Y loved the Termynator franchyse, and thys just depresses me. 1 - Great, 2 - Good, 3 - Decent, 4 - Awful - so  5- Genysys wyll be absolutely terryble.
I almost asked what you were on, but then I got it. ^___^
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Beorning

I have a question: how did they make Arnold look young again? Isn't he 70 now or something?

Anyway, I have mixed feelings about the trailer. It could be good. It could be bad. I don't know... In any case, I don't think I'll be able to consider that movie "canon". For me, canon Terminator stuff are the first two movies and, possibly, the TV series. Everything else feels... tacked on.

A lot how I feel about the coming Star Wars movie...

Inkidu

Make up, prostheses, and CGI are now all viable options for restoring youth to aging stars.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Beorning

Yeah, true...

BTW. I didn't recognize her the first time when I was watching this trailer, but hey! That's Khaleesi... I mean, Emilia Clarke!

Hm. Lena Headey played Sarah Connor in the series. Emilia Clarke plays Sarah Connor in this movie. Let's make predictions which Game of Thrones actress will play Sarah next...  ;)

Sabby

Quote from: Beorning on December 06, 2014, 10:20:49 AM
I have a question: how did they make Arnold look young again? Isn't he 70 now or something?

They didn't, that's how he looks. The 'official' reason is that Arnold has been stuck in the past so long that his organic tissue has begun to age. This makes sense. Any infiltration unit has a small heart, about the size of a chickens heart, and has to eat food, like any other living being. The only muscles at whatevers just under the skin, so the expressive ones, and there's no brain, so a Terminator doesn't really need a whole lot of sustenance.

Still, it's logical that the flesh will age.

Beorning

I don't know. I agree that a Terminator's flesh could start to deteriorate from age... but it actually aging, so that the unit looks like a normal old man? It stretches the suspension of disbelief for me...

Two other loosely-related thoughts about the trailer:

1. So, another big 80s movie gets a remake / reboot. Alright then, I give up: can we have that Hellraiser remake finally?

2. The sexist part of my brain refuses to accept that any women could behave in such an manly, authorative manner as Sarah in that trailer... ouch! *gives himself a Gibbs slap*

Sabby

Quote from: Beorning on December 06, 2014, 10:55:31 AM
I don't know. I agree that a Terminator's flesh could start to deteriorate from age... but it actually aging, so that the unit looks like a normal old man? It stretches the suspension of disbelief for me...

Two other loosely-related thoughts about the trailer:

1. So, another big 80s movie gets a remake / reboot. Alright then, I give up: can we have that Hellraiser remake finally?

2. The sexist part of my brain refuses to accept that any women could behave in such an manly, authorative manner as Sarah in that trailer... ouch! *gives himself a Gibbs slap*

At first my brain was like "...oh shit, it's going to be Robocop again! D=". Then I thought for a bit and realized T2 (one of the greatest films ever made) wasn't that violent to begin with. The new PG-13 rated Robocop reboot is just about as violent as T2 was.

Oniya

Quote from: Beorning on December 06, 2014, 10:20:49 AM

Anyway, I have mixed feelings about the trailer. It could be good. It could be bad. I don't know... In any case, I don't think I'll be able to consider that movie "canon". For me, canon Terminator stuff are the first two movies and, possibly, the TV series. Everything else feels... tacked on.

A lot how I feel about the coming Star Wars movie...

Arnold is in exceptional shape for a 67-year old.  There's a picture of him in 2012 at Comicon (presumably without prosthetics, possibly with a little makeup, definitely no CGI) and the most I could see him 'needing' would be something to cope with the receding hairline.  If I didn't know his age, I probably wouldn't put him over 50.

(And as the Terminator, he wouldn't be doing all that much smiling.)
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

mia h

Just look at what they did with Beau Bridges in the Tron film and think how much less work Arnie would need
If found acting like an idiot, apply Gibbs-slap to reboot system.

Deamonbane

Speaking of the Star Wars movie... I hate Disney forever.
Angry Sex: Because it's Impolite to say," You pissed me off so much I wanna fuck your brains out..."

Valaesin

Quote from: Deamonbane on December 07, 2014, 12:32:19 PM
Speaking of the Star Wars movie... I hate Disney forever.

Now, now, at least wait to see the movie before saying you hate Disney.  Right now its irrational hatred.  Once it comes out and we see how good/bad it is, we can switch to rational hatred.

Deamonbane

I hate Disney forever because they declared all the awesomely written and made out stories that happened Post-Battle of Endor to be 'The Legends of Star Wars'. Which means that... there's no Mara Jade, there's no Yuzzhan Vong, there's no Kyle Katarn, and, more importantly, there's no Boba Fett as Mandalore...
Angry Sex: Because it's Impolite to say," You pissed me off so much I wanna fuck your brains out..."

Valaesin

Quote from: Deamonbane on December 08, 2014, 09:39:02 AM
I hate Disney forever because they declared all the awesomely written and made out stories that happened Post-Battle of Endor to be 'The Legends of Star Wars'. Which means that... there's no Mara Jade, there's no Yuzzhan Vong, there's no Kyle Katarn, and, more importantly, there's no Boba Fett as Mandalore...

I'll miss Mara and Kyle, but I won't miss Yuzzhan Vong.  And I have a great deal of suspicion that they'll recycle the most popular aspects.  After all, if they have Luke basically losing control of his powers, what better to "stabilize" that than a love interest.  Who will probably have red hair.  And be named after a gem.

Oniya

There's also nothing saying that they can't decide to recanonize something at a later point.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

Deamonbane

Oh... and Thrawn too... They got rid of Thrawn.

In my personal opinion, the Vong were the most creative villains that they've come up with in the Star Wars universe. The whole battle between Jedi and Sith has been overblown and has started to become a little bit repetitive and predictable. The Vong were fresh, they forced the Jedi and Sith to get creative, jump out of their comfort zone and, more importantly, made them have to use something other than their all-powerful Force to win.

Also, it helps to make sense of why the Empire created so many weapons of mass destruction.

Lustful Bride

Quote from: Deamonbane on December 08, 2014, 09:39:02 AM

*major Mara Jade/ Luke fangirl* 

My reaction:

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide

Also it makes me mad cause I totally thought the new trilogy would be about the Vong.

Zekromnomnom

My problem with the movies is that at a certain point, time travel just loses its pizaz and you know not to take anything seriously because someone's just going to send something else back in time and things would start to get muddled. After T3 which I only saw part of, I heard they were making the TV show that happened for a bit or whatever and I started to realize all of the above. 

Sabby

Might as well go all the way. I want them to time travel all over the damn place.

Think about, a Terminator is sent back to medieval times, but the Resistance can't get an exact date, only a 300 year window. So they go back, knowing that they might all die of old old before the Terminator even shows up, and create a secret society to carry on the mission after they pass on. Now picture a hooded Terminator with has his face a grinning metal skull, walking calmly down a field with a claymore too heavy for any human to lift, towards a cavalry charge.

Don't tell me you don't wanna see that.

Oniya

Terminator is sent back to the early 1700's.  As part of his cover, and to ensure access to the high-ranking person or persons he is assigned to terminate, he uses his superhuman reflexes and knowledge of the time period to become a master composer.

And Arnie gets to say 'I'll be Bach.'

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: Oniya on January 16, 2015, 10:38:17 AM
Terminator is sent back to the early 1700's.  As part of his cover, and to ensure access to the high-ranking person or persons he is assigned to terminate, he uses his superhuman reflexes and knowledge of the time period to become a master composer.

And there was a great groaning, as if a million punsters cried out in horror and were suddenly silenced...

Deamonbane

Quote from: Sabby on January 16, 2015, 10:04:06 AM
Might as well go all the way. I want them to time travel all over the damn place.

Think about, a Terminator is sent back to medieval times, but the Resistance can't get an exact date, only a 300 year window. So they go back, knowing that they might all die of old old before the Terminator even shows up, and create a secret society to carry on the mission after they pass on. Now picture a hooded Terminator with has his face a grinning metal skull, walking calmly down a field with a claymore too heavy for any human to lift, towards a cavalry charge.

Don't tell me you don't wanna see that.
Honestly, I would pay good money if I saw that in a trailer...

Yay! Bad puns! This one was the best I've seen in a while...

Inkidu

Quote from: Oniya on January 16, 2015, 10:38:17 AM

The truly horrible, despicable thing is that you're probably grinning like a mad-Oniya after making that crime against humanity.

Well done! Well done indeed! :D *Bows and claps*

Zekromnomnom

I thought the medieval Terminator thing was going to turn into something about Assassin's Creed. Don't really know why...

Deamonbane

Because of the mention of a hood *nods*