News:

"Wings and a Prayer [L-E]"
Congratulations OfferedToEros & Random for completing your RP!

Main Menu

The SCP Foundation

Started by Sabby, May 23, 2012, 12:29:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sabby

Secure. Contain. Protect

Quote from: SCPSCP artifacts pose a significant threat to global security. Various agencies from around the world operate to maintain human independence from extra-terrestrial, extra-dimensional, and extra-universal threat. In the past humankind has been at the whim of these bizarre artifacts and similar phenomena, but we have now reached a point in history where we can begin to control and contain these defiances of natural law.

You are now working for the SCP Foundation. You have no need to understand how or why we operate. What you do need to understand is how vital your mission is.

The SCP Foundation is a Wiki chronicle of the movements and actions of a fictional group that deals with paranormal activity around the world. There are other such organizations inside the mythos, ranging from terrorist organizations to religious armies to fellow international foundations with similar goals. They seek to learn about the various unexplained phenomena around them, contain what they can, and destroy what they can't.

I'll admit, I was drawn to the site from Creepy Pasta, and was disappointed, since it seems the 'creepy' stories are in the minority, and most seem to be simply curious events, or outright campy sci-fi that would fit perfectly in a Stargate episode. But there's plenty of interesting zoological articles, which I've always liked, so I'm happy ^^

Oniya

Check the higher-numbered entries.  I was wandering through there a few weeks ago, and seemed to be getting more 'creepy' than 'non-creepy'.  'Keter' is another tag to seek out the creepy.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Sabby

Was browsing, found the perfect page to quote for a necromancy ceremony. Hopefully this will encourage some Elliquians to browse the Wiki ^^

Quote from: SCPYesterday,

I watched three men die because one man sneezed in a room full of blood and shit and light.

Today,

three more men go in, cheap mops and each other's lives in their hands.

Yesterday,

I watched a man I admired gunned down for leaving a rose for a girl whose life was tattered by trauma she never deserved.

Today,

she doesn't remember, and three halls down I can hear her screaming.

Yesterday,

I watched a group of soldiers go down fighting against the corpses of comrades who'd died before them.

Today,

we test another sample, this time on children.

Yesterday,

I watched five men and women gunned down in an abandoned factory no one cares about.

Today,

it happens again and again. Every eleven seconds. Forever.

Yesterday,

I watched a man sit comfortably in a nice armchair, sipping scotch and laughing as he ordered a woman to simply stop breathing.

Today,

he gets the day off of work detail for good behavior.

Yesterday,

I watched hundreds of men and women in orange jumpsuits herded like animals into empty rooms that filled with gas and fire.

Today,

hundreds more are told they have a chance for a lighter sentence, and a chance to serve their country.

Yesterday,

I watched the world nearly die in a thousand thousand terrible ways. Sometimes we would have had time to scream.

Today,

I'm alive to write about it. You want happy endings? Fuck you.

You're alive to read it.

God help us all.

Secure. Contain. Protect.

TheGlyphstone

Blackwhiteblackwhiteblackwhitegrey. :)

I was seeding printed copies of that around my college campus for a little while.

It is interesting that you note the articles get creepier as the numbers get higher; I think that's because of the changing site culture over the years. The pre-1000 slots were all filled back when the site had a slightly more light-hearted, relaxed tone to it; you got iconics like 173 and 682, but you got sweet things like 085 and 131 too. Now 'goofy' articles, and things that could be useful or beneficial, get downvoted, filtering out the really creepy ones.

I would disagree with Keter = creepier, though. Sometimes, destroying the world isn't creepy at all; i.e., the Keter Cakes and the Keter Spaghetti.

Sabby

So far, 342 and 835 have have had me IRL whimpering >.<

TheGlyphstone

Nazz

Found this site. Decided to read one.

Read at least 200 in a day.

Easy to get hooked if you pick some really cool ones, or just explore through references to other SCPs in articles. I gave up on trying to read every one, but I do go back every time someone mentions it...
- - - - - - -
- - - - - - Ons 'n Offs - - - - - -
- - - Nazz's Storyboard (Requests) - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

(( Currently back in college. Stuff's gonna be a lot slower from me! ))

TheGlyphstone

Yeah, it's as prone to The Wiki Curse as TvTropes, though at least its Random Article button has a cooldown timer.

Auron

I'm addicted to the SCPs... Have you tried playing Containment Breach?

Sabby

Yes, and it crashes like a bitch -.-

Beorning

I must admit that something bothers me about this site. I appreciate the amount and quality of the writers' work, but it's all so grim and cynical...  :o

Still, I love their SCP-288: Stepford Marriage Rings.  ;D

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: Beorning on July 23, 2012, 08:47:23 AM
I must admit that something bothers me about this site. I appreciate the amount and quality of the writers' work, but it's all so grim and cynical...  :o

Still, I love their SCP-288: Stepford Marriage Rings.  ;D

It is supposed to be horror fiction/creepypasta, so it makes sense to be grim.

Though that makes the gems of happiness and fun, even the non-joke articles, all the shinier.

Beorning

Hm. I'm a horror fan, I've read my share of grim stuff and, in spite of that, I'm finding SCP Foundation to be too depressing for my tastes...

BTW. What does 'creepypasta' mean?

TheGlyphstone

Scary/creepy short stories (creepy) intended to be copy-pasted (pasta) or shared through email, forums, 4chan threads, etc.

http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/creepypasta
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Creepypasta

Oniya

I'm rather fond of the creepy-pasta about the TV pirate show.  Everyone 'remembers' this weird kids' show that ended bizarrely, that may or may not have really existed.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Beorning

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on July 23, 2012, 10:24:39 AM
Scary/creepy short stories (creepy) intended to be copy-pasted (pasta) or shared through email, forums, 4chan threads, etc.

Are they supposed to be real stories? Or is it a kind of fiction?

TheGlyphstone

That's the 'hook' that defines most creeypasta, in that their central premise is that it's supposedly or possibly real, as opposed to an obvious disclaimer of 'this is fiction'.