News:

"Wings and a Prayer [L-E]"
Congratulations OfferedToEros & Random for completing your RP!

Main Menu

Final Fantasy

Started by AndyZ, July 02, 2012, 09:44:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maiz

Quote from: SinXAzgard21 on July 03, 2012, 01:07:29 PM
What, Final Fantasy not having an emo girl looking lead? /sarcasm....  That is how that would have went.
Haha I think it was more executives didn't think a 30 something would be relatable to teenagers.

Inkidu

Quote from: Revenent on July 03, 2012, 01:20:13 PM
Hey, anyone else remember Versus XIII and Agito XIII? You know, those two spin-offs that were announced about four decades ago?
I think one of them became Type O. Still, anything related to 13 is terrible in my totally unfair but self-justified opinion. :\
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Revenent

I enjoyed XIII, actually. More focused on being cinematic than having a deep combat system, sure, but let's face it, Final Fantasy combat has always been very shallow, and it was nice to see a menu-based RPG in this era where even the RPGs have become first-person.

Caitlin

How many of you had to cry in real life when Sephiroth killed Aerith?

*Raises hand.*

It's still one of the most memorable scenes I ever witnessed in a game and whenever I hear her theme play I always become a bit silent.

Silverfyre

I was more pissed at how much money I had just sunk into Aerith's equipment than anything else. The poor wife had a very similar (and more expensive) encounter with such a scene.  Stupid no-warning, no-deequipping game!

Caitlin

Yeah, that did kind of suck, but luckily I saved the game at nearly every corner, a quick reload of the save file and removing her equipment (and materia!) fixed that problem.

SinXAzgard21

I didn't cry, I never used her.  So that was just one less person for me to worry about.
If you know me personally, you know how to contact me.

Silverfyre

Heh, not even a bit of empathy for poor Aerith, eh?

It was a powerful moment but not unexpected, honestly.  The writing of VII was predictable for the most part but the character's death at least didn't lack depth.

AndyZ

Do try to be careful with the spoilers, please, folks.  Some people may not have played 7.  I know I didn't play 6 and would be very sad if I had stuff spoiled for me.
It's all good, and it's all in fun.  Now get in the pit and try to love someone.

Ons/Offs   -  My schedule and A/As   -    My Avatars

If I've owed you a post for at least a week, poke me.

Shjade

I found Cosmo Canyon and Nanaki's emotional baggage more interesting than Aeris' whole storyline.
Theme: Make Me Feel - Janelle Monáe
◕/◕'s
Conversation is more useful than conversion.

SinXAzgard21

Quote from: Silverfyre on July 03, 2012, 02:19:36 PM
Heh, not even a bit of empathy for poor Aerith, eh?

It was a powerful moment but not unexpected, honestly.  The writing of VII was predictable for the most part but the character's death at least didn't lack depth.

Meh I moved on.   Pretty much after that part of the game I just was playing to finish it.  And after 100% completion, beating the game with every party member, not ever combination, I've pretty much stop caring about the VII craze everyone is in.  VI was good but I wasn't to thrilled about it, IX is my favorite.
If you know me personally, you know how to contact me.

Inkidu

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
Yeah, didn't care about Aeris' death. Never, ever used her. Yuffie was a better white mage than her. :\ Plus the death is kind of out of left field. Plus, technically Sephiroth failed she still squicked that prayer in there.

I love IX, for once the main hero was a chivalrous pervert! A lot of IX's characters blew VII's out of the water in terms of personality.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Chris Brady

Quote from: Revenent on July 03, 2012, 01:20:13 PM
Hey, anyone else remember Versus XIII and Agito XIII? You know, those two spin-offs that were announced about four decades ago?

No and neither does Square. ;D
My O&Os Peruse at your doom.

So I make a A&A thread but do I put it here?  No.  Of course not.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

Florence

Let's be frankly honest.

What happens to Aeriths isn't a spoiler anymore.

You could only have a vague, vague understanding of what Final Fantasy is.

You know what happened to her, just like you know what happened to Dumbledore.
O/O: I was going to make a barebones F-list as a rough summary, but then it logged me out and I lost my progress, so I made a VERY barebones F-list instead: Here.

Will

Quote from: Finn MacKenna on July 03, 2012, 02:42:51 PM
Let's be frankly honest.

What happens to Aeriths isn't a spoiler anymore.

You could only have a vague, vague understanding of what Final Fantasy is.

You know what happened to her, just like you know what happened to Dumbledore.

Truth.  Should we have to spoiler discussions about Luke Skywalker's parentage, while we're at it?

Oedipus marries his mom, guys.
If you can heal the symptoms, but not affect the cause
It's like trying to heal a gunshot wound with gauze

One day, I will find the right words, and they will be simple.
- Jack Kerouac

Caitlin

Hehe, yeah, if people still didn't play through FF VII by now they likely never will either. The game was published in 1995 or so?

Inkidu

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ItWasHisSled

Yeah, I'm pretty sure by now it's out of the spoiler closet guys.

Shjade

Wait wait, hold on, back up.

Who's Dumbledore?
◕/◕'s

Silverfyre

1997 actually.

Gandalf's gay first cousin.  I believe he was in the Dresden Files novels.

Shjade

Quote from: Silverfyre on July 03, 2012, 03:56:46 PM
Gandalf's gay first cousin.  I believe he was in the Dresden Files novels.

You sure that wasn't Merlin? :|
◕/◕'s

AndyZ

Dumbledore is the headmaster of the school in the Harry Potter series.

Towards the end of the series, a bunch of people found out a spoiler and spread it around like wildfire.  The victims were understandably not happy.

I actually had the end of King Kong ruined for me by this Penny Arcade comic, which was making a point about spoilers and movies:

I've also had a lot of stuff ruined for me that was more recent, like Game of Thrones and season 2 of Sherlock.  The arguments were that the books have been out even though the TV series hadn't gotten out to that point yet, and that the stuff was already out in England even though it hadn't been released in America yet, respectively.  Neither was comforting.

The way I see it, if you haven't seen it, it's still new to you.  I've actually avoided making Star Wars references involving Vader and Luke just because I didn't want to take the chance, although admittedly it's unlikely that people have been able to avoid that spoiler for this long.

Your own opinions may vary.
It's all good, and it's all in fun.  Now get in the pit and try to love someone.

Silverfyre

Han is Chewie's brother. 

Shit, spoilers!

Chris Brady

Be nice, Silver.

However, AndyZ, they do have a point, avoiding spoilers over a topic that's more than five years old is silly and pointless.  If you are I here you should expect people to give out the information pertaining to the game, and that includes Spoilers.  Maybe you should edit the title if you're worried so much about it...
My O&Os Peruse at your doom.

So I make a A&A thread but do I put it here?  No.  Of course not.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

Florence

Quote from: AndyZ on July 03, 2012, 04:17:19 PM
I've also had a lot of stuff ruined for me that was more recent, like Game of Thrones and season 2 of Sherlock.  The arguments were that the books have been out even though the TV series hadn't gotten out to that point yet, and that the stuff was already out in England even though it hadn't been released in America yet, respectively.  Neither was comforting.

If anyone ruins Game of Thrones for me, I will rip out their eyes with a rusty spoon :U
O/O: I was going to make a barebones F-list as a rough summary, but then it logged me out and I lost my progress, so I made a VERY barebones F-list instead: Here.

AndyZ

Mostly I'm just hoping people don't ruin 6 for me until I have the time to play it.