Who says Judges can't be creative... For Beatles fans especially.

Started by Maeven, July 18, 2008, 10:03:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maeven

What a wicked game to play, to make me feel this way.
What a wicked thing to do, to let me dream of you.
What a wicked thing to say, you never felt this way.
What a wicked thing to do, to make me dream of you. 

The Cardinal Rule

ShrowdedPoet

Kiss the hand that beats you.
Sexuality isn't a curse, it's a gift to embrace and explore!
Ons and Offs

Spookie Monster

As a passionate fan of The Beatles, yeah, I definitely got a kick out of this.  Great find, Maeven! :)

Spel
Like Elliquiy?
My ONs and OFFs
~ R.I.P., Cam ~ ~ R.I.P., Judi ~ ~ R.I.P., Steph ~

The Overlord

Inkidu

He couldn't work in a Yellow Submarine pun? Oh well everyone's got their limits. :D
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Mathim

How old is the criminal? Does burglary really carry a sentence that would make someone (I'm assuming he's in his twenties or thirties) stay in jail until they're 64? Seems unconstitutional.
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

Maeven

Quote from: Mathim on July 23, 2008, 10:59:25 PM
How old is the criminal? Does burglary really carry a sentence that would make someone (I'm assuming he's in his twenties or thirties) stay in jail until they're 64? Seems unconstitutional.

Actually, I don't know anything about the background of the case... whether or not he could be sentenced until he was 64 would depend on his age obviously but mostly on prior convictions and the definition of burglary in Montana.  Its kinda stupid in Florida... i.e. its not burglary unless its nighttime... (if I remember correctly from school, I don't practice criminal law).   

If its like, 30 years for breaking and entering... then yeah, it might offend the cruel and unusual punishment clause. 
What a wicked game to play, to make me feel this way.
What a wicked thing to do, to let me dream of you.
What a wicked thing to say, you never felt this way.
What a wicked thing to do, to make me dream of you. 

The Cardinal Rule

Spookie Monster

I wouldn't worry about this being another example of the judicial system gone wild.  Actually, when I first came across this thread, I myself wondered whether the sentencing memorandum in question was a fake -- just a joke for fans of The Beatles.  When I looked into it further, though, I found this:

Memory Almost Full

Apparently, therefore, it is real.  To sum up:

In 2006, [the defendant] was arrested for stealing beer.  After entering a guilty plea, he received a sentence of probation, community service, and a fine.

No biggie, really.

Oh, and please note, Mathim, that the sentencing memorandum doesn't actually state that the defendant should remain imprisoned until he's sixty-four years old; rather, the judge is simply saying that he hopes that in time the guy will come to accept that stealing beer isn't cool.

I mean, yeah, it was only Old Milwaukee, but still.

Spel
Like Elliquiy?
My ONs and OFFs
~ R.I.P., Cam ~ ~ R.I.P., Judi ~ ~ R.I.P., Steph ~