Monster Hunter [Interest Check| DnD inspired game]

Started by LeSane, January 16, 2018, 09:11:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LeSane

With Monster Hunter World coming out in about two weeks I was hoping to find people interested. I attempted this before and got a few takers, but not enough to actually warrant a full game. Now, with the new year I wanted to dust off the idea and see if I could implement it. I already have the foundation down with, character sheets, a story, and so on it just heavily relies on who's interested.

Here's what I wanted for the game.

• A small group game of six people.
  • Mostly freeformed w/minimalist DnD aspects for combat
  • Either player who know the MH universe or new to it is fine.
  • A fun experience for all mostly then again who wouldn't?

'Life is an unreasonable game in which winning was impossible from the start. Even so spread your wings and fly straight into the sun! If the world threatens to swallow you whole crush it under your heel.'

Divine Tenacity

Planting my flag first!

Freakin' love monsta hunta!!
Group Games: 0 (pending) | Solo Games: 2  | Post(s) Owed: 2

Check out my Request Thread!

LeSane

Happy to have you Div. Come on people don't be shy.
'Life is an unreasonable game in which winning was impossible from the start. Even so spread your wings and fly straight into the sun! If the world threatens to swallow you whole crush it under your heel.'

Gardsorm

Been a Monster Hunter since the very first game for the PS2... Even though I never got past YKK. >>

But everything took off for me after MHFreedom, and I've played just about every game since then, up to MHStories and MHGen at present. So yes, count me interested!

LeSane

I'm happy to have you aboard we'll need three for people. If we get enough I might consider two squads of four people.

Gardsorm

Could of details couldn't hurt. o=

1) How much is 'minimalist DnD aspects'?

2) Are we focusing on any specific generation or series of games (up-to-date stuff minus Frontier, or inclusive of Frontiers' vast monster resources and myriad of additions not scene on console and handheld games)

3) Are we allowing all weapons here or will some be left off? (Mostly asking incase someone was curious and wanted to use Frontiers' Tonfas)

Only questions I have so far until more details arise, I think. :3

LeSane

Quote from: Gardsorm on January 16, 2018, 07:47:29 PM
Could of details couldn't hurt. o=

1) How much is 'minimalist DnD aspects'?

2) Are we focusing on any specific generation or series of games (up-to-date stuff minus Frontier, or inclusive of Frontiers' vast monster resources and myriad of additions not seen on console and handheld games)

3) Are we allowing all weapons here or will some be left off? (Mostly asking in case someone was curious and wanted to use Frontiers' Tonfas)

Only questions I have so far until more details arise, I think. :3
1)Minimalist enough that it will only be combat related and simple. Attacking the monster in certain spots, meeting AC, and damage of the weapons, and loot gained.

2)We are sticking to the up to date stuff minus frontier.

3)All weapons are going to be available though I want people to start off with the starting weapons and as the game goes upgrade them. I just don't want someone having a badass weapon out the gate.

Gardsorm

Sweet, thanks! That helps a fair bit for me.

I had one more question but I'll withhold that one because I'm almost positive that's a flat out no and would require more world finagling. =p I'm plenty happy with how things are at present.

LeSane

When we get enough people, I will put an FAQ so most of the question will be addressed.

LeSane

I've figured that we only need four total people and have people join later if they are interested.
Honestly, I'd want to actually use this idea rather than let it go back up on a shelf.

yuki92

I'm actually interested to join in,

i've played Monster Hunter in the past, but wasn't really good at it.. So, i'm not really knowledgeable about it...
I also tried the Monster Hunter World a bit, and planning to buy it later..

But i love the setting and the monster, and the weapon/armor is cool~

LeSane

Well, its great to see you were interested.

Now that we have four people we can move over to the recruitment phase.
I should have that up by tomorrow at the very latest.

Divine Tenacity

Group Games: 0 (pending) | Solo Games: 2  | Post(s) Owed: 2

Check out my Request Thread!

yuki92

I'm always confused when people said tomorrow here... because usually the time difference is really big... but it isn't really a problem ~

And yeah, lady rules! haha

ZameRagues

Sets up a small flag of interest.

I've only recently gotten into Monster Hunter. My friends showed me Monster Hunter World, so I downloaded an emulator along with MHP3rd, then proceeded to put about 300 hours into it.
Pure Impulse Plays
Discord - Zame Ragues#8888
Dice Bot - 18627
O/Os

LeSane

Good to see we have another interested member. I set up the recruitment thread so just go there for now.

LeSane

Quote from: TerribleTira on January 19, 2018, 12:24:22 AM
Tentative interest because I love Monster Hunter. I still have my PS2 CD, and have logged lots of hours on 4U and Gen... but don't know diddly squat about D&D mechanics

Like I said there will be minimal DnD aspects. Most still only be towards fighting and a few secret things.

yuki92

yuki92

Quote from: TerribleTira on January 19, 2018, 01:30:08 AM
ummm... shit. how is everyone making rolls? I'm still getting the hang of the BBC code thing

And what exactly are the rolls for?

I thought people were gonna make character profiles or something

It's on top section of the forum, below the chatbox and ads... There is dicebot
i guess it's for the statistic, while we are waiting for the GM to post the character sheet.
I think it's written on the starting post over there, at the end of the post.
I'm just jumping on to the ship   ;D

Gardsorm

Quote from: TerribleTira on January 19, 2018, 01:30:08 AM
ummm... shit. how is everyone making rolls? I'm still getting the hang of the BBC code thing

And what exactly are the rolls for?

I thought people were gonna make character profiles or something

Lol, trust me I'm as lost as you are. Also doing this from phone, which sucks just a bit. =p