The Twin Kingdoms of Zagzys and Bergovia [AD&D]

Started by The Great Triangle, February 14, 2010, 04:10:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Great Triangle

The twin kingdoms of Zagzys and Bergovia are a constantly shifting land in conflict, marked by frequent war and open vendetta, and relative isolation from the rest of the world.  Ogres and Dragons threaten from the north, Lizardmen threaten from the south, Pirates threaten from the east, and Orcs threaten from the western deserts.  No town feels safe without the rulership of a strong lord, but some towns just need a hero.  And you can be that hero.

This game will be set in the same world as my Feudal Conflict game, focusing on high level leaders and administrators, and be about the exploits of mid level adventurers, trying to make their way in the world, and protect what they find precious. 

The game will use a variant of the First Edition rules of AD&D, (advanced dungeons & dragons) which I've set up here.  The rules differ in several signifigant ways from first edition, most notably changes in how AC is calculated, the addition of several classes, and a complete overhaul of the combat rules.  Those familiar with AD&D should find the rules comfortable enough, however.

Characters will start the game with 25,000xp and 4,000gp, which is generally enough to acheive 5th or 6th level,  depending on class.  Given that there are lots of lords who need troubleshooting around, starting at 1st level is also a viable option,  though your character will be dangerously vulnurable, and likely be a sidekick for a higher level character.
Meow!  I'm a kitty; made of fire.

Ons and Offs

Anathanasia

I'm interested in learning more...

I'm not so interested in the kingdom management stuff (I like to focus on one character only kinda thing), but this might be cool.

Mainly, I'm most interested in what sort of sexual content to expect? I don't actually need it to happen often; it doesn't need to be central or anything. But I would like what little there is to be catering to my kinks. Please take a look at my OnOs and let me know if you think we'd be a good match, please?

As a note, I don't have any 1e books anymore, but I am familiar with every edition of DnD. I'm sure I remember enough to make a go of it, especially as you're making changes anyways.

Thanks! :)
A Special Craving: Rookie Cop has a Bad Day

My Cravings & Desires: Six Ideas in Search of a GM, Solo System RPs

Avatar provided with permission by the artist, Vaesark!

National Acrobat

I think I'd be more interested in this aspect of the game as well, with a bit more freedom to adventure. I am very familiar with 1E, and still have all of the books on my dusty shelf.

The Great Triangle

Sex will show up occasionally.  Usually as consensual sex between adventuring companions, but occasionally as monster rape if your character screws up very badly during an adventure.  Mind control is fairly common, and occasionally used as a source of rape.  Monsters also occasionally force themselves on adventurers and sell them into slavery if they surrender, but on an OOC level, you can always arrange for your character to be rescued or have your character die.

I will be running the game in NC/E along with the other game, although I don't forsee an EXTREMELY dark tone for the games.  It will very much be a house rule that any PC striking a killing blow on another PC can choose to subdue the PC instead.  (pvp may very well be an element though.)

Ons and Offs

Anathanasia

Colour me interested, then! :D

Now I just need to think up a cool adventurer type, so I'm off to peruse your modded rules now...

Anything we should know going on, or should we be just getting characters to you, TGT? PM or posted in here? Wait for a game thread to come up?

The Great Triangle

I'm going to create a wiki page for the game fairly soon, and you can post your characters there.  Until then, you can PM me characters, and I can check them and make sure everything is above board.

Ons and Offs

National Acrobat

I'll PM you tomorrow with an idea or two. I am partial to Illusionists and Clerics, and would most likely pick one of those two, illusionist taking preference if the rolls merit it. I'll PM you tomorrow am after rolling some dice.

Ixy

I, too, will have you a concept soon, and then get to work on the stats.  I'm interested in a few ideas, and haven't yet settled on one (I know, big surprise, right?!  Ix can't make up her mind!) if you'll have me.  I'm thinking either a barbarian/necromancer (madness!), a ranger (mundaneness!), or a magic-user (wtf am I thinking?!).

WyzardWhately

I can tell you for sure that Korrok, Mage-King of Breezeport, will be seeking adventurers to help find and destroy a secret temple to Cthulhu.
Look!  I have an ons and offs list now!  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=13580.0
It's still really sketchy, though.
Here are my dice rolls: http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/player/WyzardWhately/

Anathanasia

Argh, just remembered one thing that never made sense to me in 1e, no elven rangers or druids...wtf?! :P

I was thinking of the iconic elven ranger for a 1e game, so old school, but I think that was something we houseruled in our campaigns here. No matter...I'll maybe do an acrobat instead. Thief types can always get into so much trouble, lol. ;)

The Great Triangle

Elves in 1e have a bit more of a magic tolkien focus than their later nature-ey focus.  Rangers are actually an iconic human class in 1e, since they basically steal a little bit from every possible sort of class.

Thieves in general are pretty good at starting trouble, it's definately true. 

I might also note that Barbarian/Magician will tend to be a pretty weak combination since barbarians can't use magic arms and armor, which precludes the use of magic wands, staves, and rods, as well as most AC increasing items.  It is certainly a playable option though, if you don't mind using your huge stock of hp to soak the amount of damage you'll be liable to take.  (I'm not allowing the armor spell for any class, so magicians in general will be a bit hard up for AC)  A really good roll for attributes would make quite a frightening character. 

Ons and Offs

Anathanasia

But, Legolas...he's always been as much a DnD ranger as Strider was. :P

I'm actually thinking of an old favorite, considering how cool it might be to try in a game where you could very well wind up working for PC rulers and rolling an assassin...so I have to ask (I firmly expect a 'no', but no harm in asking, right?) any chance you'd extend the 1e races choices to the Unearthed Arcana and allow drow, TGT?

No? Oh well, had to ask, lol...I'll probably get you something of a full proposal sometime tomorrow, TGT. :)

The Great Triangle

I'd allow dark elves, but only as a cosmetic alteration to the existing elven racial template.  Their culture is a bit more chaotic and evil, and they tend to live underground.  Dark Elves who don't venture into the sunlight have pure white skin, 50% magic resistance, and the ability to use the spell like abilities common to their race.  Coming in contact with sunlight burns a drow's skin pure black, eliminates the blessings of their demonic patrons, and leaves them blind for several days.  Naturally, drow are often sold into slavery during this time.

Ons and Offs

Kate

If any wish to be part of my nation or followers i am happy to accept :)
(you can be one of the ones that is listed or another of your liking - feel free to choose one of the look-links if you adore them unless you prefer another

https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=60319.msg2742715#msg2742715

National Acrobat

Anathanasia

Quote from: The Great Triangle on February 16, 2010, 04:09:51 AM
I'd allow dark elves, but only as a cosmetic alteration to the existing elven racial template.  Their culture is a bit more chaotic and evil, and they tend to live underground.  Dark Elves who don't venture into the sunlight have pure white skin, 50% magic resistance, and the ability to use the spell like abilities common to their race.  Coming in contact with sunlight burns a drow's skin pure black, eliminates the blessings of their demonic patrons, and leaves them blind for several days.  Naturally, drow are often sold into slavery during this time.

It's always been the aesthetic and the culture that's been more important to me than the numbers here anyways (been fan since drow were just a single entry in the Fiend Folio, 'matriarchal theocracy of evil black skinned elves worshiping a demon spider goddess?! Where do I sign up!?'...and that series of modules). The twist of having them start pale feels a little odd - okay, makes more sense scientifically, but this is a fantasy game and they are elves - but whatever, I can deal with it.

Are the drow otherwise more or less the same, culturally speaking, TGT? Lolth or no lolth? Matriarchal? Devious, cruel, backstabbing hedonists?

The Great Triangle

No Lolth, but they worship three chief dieties:  Hecate, the chaotic good goddess of secrets and magic, Lovitar, the neutral goddess of vengeance, and Tlazolet, the Neutral evil goddess of lust.  The drow believe that Baphomet is female, and place the three goddesses in a covey.  The influence of Hecate gives the drow more good tendancies than is usual, but collectively they have a very decadent and cruel culture.   (just one where the slaves might get a chance to become free by learning magic and spying on their masters) 

Drow society is indeed matriarchal, due in part to extremely low fertility rates in Drow women.  Women in Drow society may take any man as their lover, and males are expected to provide sexually for any woman who asks.  Quite often, an established Drow woman will have a stable of studs which she lays with nightly, often indulging in torture and perversion to sate her appetites.  After passing childbearing age, a Drow woman is expected to retire from sexual activity and become a priest, becoming one of the leaders of her community.  Homosexual liasons between Drow women are considered taboo, except in the context of rape, which is an accepted way of showing dominance.  Drow men who cannot perform sexually or otherwise displease their mistresses, are subject to a number of horrific tortures, and will usually be castrated and enslaved if they cannot or will not serve.

The Drow economy is based on exploitation of the other cultures of the underdark.  When they can, Drow enslave dwarves in large numbers, and also rely on Orcs and Trolls for sources of the slavery that drives their economy.  Drow are some of the best beings in the world at the arts of bondage and torture, exceeded only perhaps by particularly experienced demons.  (though the drow summon demons to help make up the difference)  Drow launch frequent raids against the surface, particularly to get hold of exotic surface spices, meats, and fruits, and to abduct sylvan creatures, who are some of the most valuable chattel a drow can acquire. 

The pale drow aren't really representative of the species, just the funky magical exemplars.  Such creatures usually occupy the higher levels in Drow society, and are almost unheard of anywhere near the surface.  Many drow communities have bylaws prohibiting a dark drow from taking a position of leadership in the community, and thus the majority of the population are taken up to the surface during very early childhood.  The fact that Drow quite often find pale skin more beautiful when tortured is another good reason to give up some magic in exchange for political safety and ability to travel the surface.  Later in life, the glass ceiling that dark elves face causes them to seek opportunities on the surface, though by custom and long tradition, without the benefits of adamantine and drow poison.  (sorry for all the changes, but I really really hate the drizzt drow loner PC type, and want to have a good explanation for drow adventurers that gives them something more to play with than angst.)

Ons and Offs

Anathanasia

Yeah, I hate Drizzt too. Took all the focus away from the properly evil drow...I usually kept things in homegrown settings different enough from the FR archetype so that different races mingled more. Even the more 'civil' evil humanoids like hobgoblins could be found in and around the lands and kingdoms of the more typically 'good' races.

Otherwise I don't mind the changes. I always kinda liked Lolth (I like spiders, they are so neat!), so I'll miss her, but otherwise I think that sounds pretty good. And just because sleeping with other drow women is taboo, doesn't mean it doesn't happen... ;)

I think I'll work on getting something going with that idea, then, drow and assassin. I guess I can be a mid-level freelancer, which just might get me working for one or more of the PCs in the big kingdom game. It's a cool idea, be interesting to see how it all plays out. :)

Any chance I could ask you to look up assassin for me and let me know what level she'll be with the experience you're giving us, TGT? I think I can figure out everything else from the info you've provided, just need her level to start with.

Ixy

Regarding ability scores: should we opt to roll, are we bound to the frist set of 6, or do we get a best out of 3 tries?  Because I'm not concerned about having particularly high-power, but a 3 in ANY score is just crippling-- I wouldn't even know how to roleplay a character with intelligence or charisma 3 except to dribble every smile or be exceptionally repulsive to be around.  Would a character of strength 3 be able to dress themselves without help?  at con 3, could the character potentially die of a common cold?

Just wondering!

The Great Triangle

An Assassain with 25,000xp is level 6, with about 500xp to spare.  (lucky you) 

As for rolling ability scores, you are stuck with the first set you roll, but you can always opt for a 66 point buy, as many of the players who have already submitted characters have done.  A stat of 3 is crippling, but not unplayable. 

A character with a strength of 3 cannot wear armor heavier than leather, and must wield specialy made lightweight weapons, but is otherwise unencumbered. 

A character with a dexterity of 3 is always tripping over himself, and extremely unlucky and uncoordinated.  Such a character might still make a reasonably good fighter or priest.

A character with a constitution of 3 basically has a chronic terminal medical condition, though they'll live longer with the aid of magic.

A character with an intelligence of 3 is forest gump.

A character with a wisdom of 3 has an extremely skewed perception of reality, and tends to be easily influenced.  Think Edward Scissorhands, Michael Jackson, or pretty much and Johnny Depp character.

A character with a charisma of 3 either tends to be disfigured, or have a personality comprable to the average internet troll. 

Generally, if your character has any mental stat at 13 or higher, you can play the character in an intelligent and sophisticated way.  (assuming the character's background allows for that)

Characters with strength or dexterity 3 may be parapalegic, and characters with dexterity 3 tend to have severe sensory handicaps.  You won't get any immediate benefit for giving your characters serious flaws, but you will get more roleplaying experience over time, and of course being seriously flawed might make others underestimate your character.

Ons and Offs

The Great Triangle

I've now got a game page for you guys to post your character sheets:

https://elliquiy.com/wiki/The_Twin_Kingdoms_of_Zagzys_and_Bergovia

Go ahead and click on the relevant link to adventurer characters, write your character's name in brackets, then save changes and click on your character's name.  That will bring you to your character's page, where you can post your character sheet.  I'll clean up the formatting when I get time, and make sure everything is above board. 

If you don't want to divulge your character's secrets, go ahead and leave strategically placed things out of your character sheet, as long as the GM is aware of them.

Ons and Offs

Ixy

okay... gonna try this once, in the hopes that it doesn't bite me in the ass.  I'll use the E dicebot because I love it so much, and that way there's no doubt because you can view my rolls here and mock me later.
Results are 15, 13, 13, 11, 9, 7.  Looks like the necro-barbarian is out.  That makes me a little sad, but I'll live.  ;)  so straight-up fighter for now, or barbarian?  I'd like to keep it very, very simple for now.

The Great Triangle

Remember that by 1e standards those aren't bad stats.  I've removed the class trait minimums, so you can pretty much play anything you want.  Since those rolls only add up to 68, you might also be better off with a 66 point buy.  (you will pretty much only be getting an advantage in one area with that stat line though)

Ons and Offs

Anathanasia

I rolled my own dice (computerized random number generation hates me for some reason...) and came with a decent set...16, 14, 14, 14, 10, 9

But all those 14s in 1e are like missed opportunities, aren't they? lol. Not hugely different from a 9 or 10, and just shy of those precious, precious +1s, hehe. Makes them almost more painful than low rolls! ;)

WyzardWhately

Quote from: Anathanasia on February 16, 2010, 10:50:11 PM
I rolled my own dice (computerized random number generation hates me for some reason...) and came with a decent set...16, 14, 14, 14, 10, 9

But all those 14s in 1e are like missed opportunities, aren't they? lol. Not hugely different from a 9 or 10, and just shy of those precious, precious +1s, hehe. Makes them almost more painful than low rolls! ;)

There's a few places they matter (system shock rolls, I think?), and everything is nice when you may have to make attribute rolls. 

The removal of attribute minimums is nice, I hadn't been aware of that.  It's especially great for me, because I was planning on building a state orphanage to raise dozens of ultra-loyal ninja-bureaucrats.  It'll be nice to actually be able to have them be the monk class, with the background skills of forensic accountants.  And if you don't think having a team of deadly accountant-inquisitors at your disposal is awesome, then I can only say you aren't sufficiently familiar with trying to run a bureaucracy...

...but in the meantime, I would still like to hire adventurers.
Look!  I have an ons and offs list now!  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=13580.0

The Great Triangle

You could always quest for a ring of wishing to raise some of your 14s to 15s.  A sword of luck might also be within your price range, which might raise your attributes if you carry it around for long enough. 

If you're feeling particularly crazy, you could also buy a whole bunch of potions and see if any of them combine into a permanent attribute increasing serum.  (who knows, you might discover a cheap way of making a grenade or nerve gas while you're playing with alchemy)

Ons and Offs

National Acrobat

Character has been added to the wiki.

My scores aren't that great either Ixy, but I have two over 13, and I like rolling.

I ended up with a 16, 14, 11, 10, 9, 9

The Great Triangle

I have revised the rules on strength so that fighting classes get between a +1 and +5 bonus to their strength scores.  Although I don't think any of you are playing fighters at the moment, so it's not especially relevant.

Ons and Offs

Ixy

I may have done that wrong, but... I posted the sheet, background, description.  It's under New Character, like you said, but I really don't know if I placed it correctly. help? :D

Much of it's missing because it's N/A (I used the 66 point buy for a fighter, and OH YEAH CAPS LOCK rolled a 95 on strength.  Check my rolls on the dicebot, seriously.  I was so excited I nearly-- well, anyway...)  I'm not 100% on the AC and Attack Bonus.  I know specialization's an option, and you'd better believe I'm going to specialize in one weapon.

Depending on if we're looking at deep delving, I might drop the horse/lance bit.  It's a little continental for a viking-like warrior.  I could also switch to Barbarian still and keep essentially the same background and everything, just drop the armor (an idea that scares me, really...)

The Great Triangle

Quote from: Ixy on February 19, 2010, 02:59:16 PM
I may have done that wrong, but... I posted the sheet, background, description.  It's under New Character, like you said, but I really don't know if I placed it correctly. help? :D

Much of it's missing because it's N/A (I used the 66 point buy for a fighter, and OH YEAH CAPS LOCK rolled a 95 on strength.  Check my rolls on the dicebot, seriously.  I was so excited I nearly-- well, anyway...)  I'm not 100% on the AC and Attack Bonus.  I know specialization's an option, and you'd better believe I'm going to specialize in one weapon.

Depending on if we're looking at deep delving, I might drop the horse/lance bit.  It's a little continental for a viking-like warrior.  I could also switch to Barbarian still and keep essentially the same background and everything, just drop the armor (an idea that scares me, really...)

Long term, you'll likely be better off with a fighter, since specialization bonuses stack up pretty well.

Your backstory is also very good.  Go ahead and upgrade one of your weapons to +1 if you like.

Ons and Offs

Ixy

Yay, thanks :)  Ok, editing, but ready to start.   EXCEPT i need a Lord or Lady to serve.  I saw the invites before, and really appreciate it.  Any ideas for linking backgrounds?  I'm all for suggestions, and can be pretty flexible.

Tagan

If this is still open, I'm interested.  In first edition I played a fighter, then an Elf.  (Elf being a class was pretty strange, but I liked it for some reason.

I'll work up a character sheet.

Ah, a Half Elven Magic-User/Thief.  A poor, abandoned, street urchin steals a spellbook and decides that the rich and powerful in the world need taking down a peg or two.

Coral (No last name) Calls herself Nightshade.

Stats rolled: 8, 13, 13, 11, 16, 14. (which I was quite happy with!)

Ixy

Quote from: Tagan on February 19, 2010, 07:27:55 PM
If this is still open, I'm interested.  In first edition I played a fighter, then an Elf.  (Elf being a class was pretty strange, but I liked it for some reason.

I'll work up a character sheet.

Ah, a Half Elven Magic-User/Thief.  A poor, abandoned, street urchin steals a spellbook and decides that the rich and powerful in the world need taking down a peg or two.

Coral (No last name) Calls herself Nightshade.

Stats rolled: 8, 13, 13, 11, 16, 14. (which I was quite happy with!)
Does a Drow Ranger/Thief run around trying to do things to help her, but really just make things worse? ;D

WyzardWhately

And is she willing to help fight Cthulhu-cultists?

Ixy

That's true, we could slag some Cthulu-cultists.  I'm sure we won't end up batshit-crazy or anything...

WyzardWhately

Quote from: Ixy on February 19, 2010, 10:08:30 PM
That's true, we could slag some Cthulu-cultists.  I'm sure we won't end up batshit-crazy or anything...

D&D adventurers are made of much sterner stuff, fortunately, than the effete and neurotic antiquarians who so often played the role of HPL's protagonists. 

There's actually a hell of a story by Robert E. Howard that affects a great deal of eldritch horror, but ends with a cowboy killing Dracula, more or less. 

D&D has more in common with REH than HPL, even when we steal HPL's monsters.  :D

I'm not saying it won't be dangerous, mind you.

National Acrobat

I could have swore I posted my character in the wiki, but now it's not there.

Anathanasia

I actually kinda made a character I didn't figure would be venturing into dungeons...assassins like civilization, y'know?

Could just make things more interesting, though, hehe. ;)

RubySlippers

I would like to play and rolled my characters ability scores IN ORDER, a good Ironman move. Well they are interesting - Strength 8, Dexterity 6, Constitution 11, Intelligence 12, Wisdom 12 and Cha 17.

I'm thinking a Human Cleric (will always have a 5% chance of a spell fraking but that can be fun to) of some non-combat diety that favors Charisma. She is no combat monster but taking the right approach can get around that little problem. Like being the mistress of some warlord or other sort that can do favors for her maybe a courtesan type.

I won't do anything until I find out if there is an opening on the dark side.

Tagan

Quote from: WyzardWhately on February 19, 2010, 09:53:31 PM
And is she willing to help fight Cthulhu-cultists?

Are they wealthy or arogant?  Then yes!

The Great Triangle

Looks like we've got a good group of adventurers.  There's another patron of adventurers trying to find the Book of Exalted Deeds, who you guys can adventure with as well. 

As for a cleric of a noncombat diety, I reccomend either Venus, goddess of love, or Tlazolet, goddess of lust.  Lovitar, the goddess of vengeance, also favors charisma, but she's evil, and a patron of assassians. 

A temple of Cthulhu is a really good place for an assassian though, since most of the enemies there will be humanoid and vulnurable to assassination.  (though unfortunately not any great old one type creatures they have hanging around.) 

Quote from: National Acrobat on February 19, 2010, 11:14:45 PM
I could have swore I posted my character in the wiki, but now it's not there.

I'll look into that.  Which character was yours again?  I'll try and find it. 

Ons and Offs

National Acrobat

The Great Triangle

Went and got the link to your character sheet fixed.  I must have accidentally whisked it off at some point or something.  :-)

Ons and Offs

WyzardWhately

Quote from: Tagan on February 20, 2010, 05:09:18 AM
Are they wealthy or arogant?  Then yes!

It's quite probable that they have many slime-encrusted gems, and other treasures obtained from the pitch-dark vaults of the deepest oceans.

Also, there's at least one being from the temple that I'm likely to specifically put a hit out on, so an assassin isn't inappropriate.

RubySlippers

Tlazolet, goddess of lust could be amusing, where is the game going to be content wise after all it can get rather unseemly when worshipping her for some here. But she would fit.

Oh I had to ask can I get sexy cut leather armor as in armor that protects as Padded but ,er, suitable for the purpose of her calling but protects the vitals and head enough to be a bit useful. Thnk crotchless, easy to remove parts of and hell hot when worn. And I need to neutralize the _1 Dex Modifier at least with the less weight she is not that strong.

Do you have a character sheet you want us to use?

The Great Triangle

I don't have any character sheet I want you to use, but I'll be using a rules variation of 1st edition.  Padded armor isn't actually present (though available as a variant of leather) and armor simply lowers thief skills and movement speed, so you won't have to worry about stat problems. 

The game will be NC-E, and likely ready to get going soon, once you round out the adventuring group.  I'll append some extra enchantment spells to Tlazolet's religion description at some point. 

Ons and Offs

RubySlippers

Tagan

As I am still restricted to my I-touch, I can't open the experience document.  After three levels of magic-user do I have enough exp left for 3 levels of thief or not?

WyzardWhately

Quote from: Tagan on February 20, 2010, 03:53:37 PM
As I am still restricted to my I-touch, I can't open the experience document.  After three levels of magic-user do I have enough exp left for 3 levels of thief or not?

MU 3 costs 4,800

Thief 3 costs 2,500.

WyzardWhately

Incidentally, Triangle, I actually broke out my old 1E books and have been using them.  Should I be using OSRIC instead?  I'm not intimately familiar with it, so if there are differences in the XP charts or spell descriptions or what have you, I'm unaware of them.

RubySlippers

I can't access the xp documentation either regarding level what is the Level for a Cleric if that's all she is?

WyzardWhately

Quote from: RubySlippers on February 20, 2010, 04:19:00 PM
I can't access the xp documentation either regarding level what is the Level for a Cleric if that's all she is?

Level five, and pretty close to leveling.

WyzardWhately

Quote from: Tagan on February 20, 2010, 03:53:37 PM

More usefully, you could actually go MU 4/Thief 5, with just a tad left over.  You can't go MU 5/Thief 4, though.  MU levels are expensive.

EDIT: You can just barely do MU 5/Thief 3.

The Great Triangle

First edition is perfectly fine for reference.  Spell descriptions are essentially similar, but I'm going to be doing errata level changes (mostly) as I go through the spell lists.  (which I should be doing faster)  Once everything's done it'll be definative, but for now, first edition is a pretty good reference, and OSRIC is essentially identical in many respects.

Ons and Offs

RubySlippers

Question I have a NE Cleric I thought usually evil clerics Command the Undead not turn them, just asking though.

And for a 5th Level Cleric is this right for spell acquisition: 1st Level 2, 2nd Level 1 and 3rd Level 1  I hope I read the rules right?

I assume we can roll hit points also but wanted to check.

BTW for clerics ,er, priests should they get some sort of special ability per diety to add some flavor just a thought say when they get spells. Might be nice to think about to make each special.

Tagan

Thanks!  Whee!  Third level spells on a third level thief!

Happy happy, joy joy.

And Ixy, perhaps in 30 years or so, she might be helped by a Drow Ranger/Thief

WyzardWhately

Quote from: RubySlippers on February 20, 2010, 04:45:25 PM
And for a 5th Level Cleric is this right for spell acquisition: 1st Level 2, 2nd Level 1 and 3rd Level 1  I hope I read the rules right?

My reading is 3/2/1...a chart would be better, but GT has already put quite a load on his own plate regarding the wiki.

ADDENDUM: I just checked the magic-user section and HOLY SHIT do I get way more spells per day than I thought.

Here I come, monsters, and hell's a comin' with me!

RubySlippers

Magic-Users do have very slow advancement however, but lots of spells.

Anathanasia

I wasn't try to say that an assassin wouldn't have people or things to assassinate in a remote temple, just that it's not their usual stomping grounds, y'know?

'sides, with my own personal proclivities I'd be a fool to try to actually keep my character out of an adventure like that, wouldn't I? Tentacled cthulian horrors... ;)

Tagan

I seem to have successfully posted my character sheet for 'Coral Nightshade' but not linked to your character sheet page?  The sheet is incomplete, because I have a few questions.

Mainly, I believe I get 3 1st, 2 2nd, and 1 3rd lvl spell to cast each day, correct?  But how many spells do I know?

WyzardWhately

Quote from: Tagan on February 20, 2010, 09:00:10 PM
I seem to have successfully posted my character sheet for 'Coral Nightshade' but not linked to your character sheet page?  The sheet is incomplete, because I have a few questions.

Mainly, I believe I get 3 1st, 2 2nd, and 1 3rd lvl spell to cast each day, correct?  But how many spells do I know?

I just asked him to roll up what spells my character knows.  That might work for you - it's apparently random.

Quote from: Anathanasia on February 20, 2010, 08:18:06 PM
I wasn't try to say that an assassin wouldn't have people or things to assassinate in a remote temple, just that it's not their usual stomping grounds, y'know?

'sides, with my own personal proclivities I'd be a fool to try to actually keep my character out of an adventure like that, wouldn't I? Tentacled cthulian horrors... ;)

I may have been unclear...the temple is actually in the city, it's hidden.  Probably near the port, since they're largely amphibious.  So, it's definitely a non-wilderness adventure.  Also, there's a high risk the high priest of the temple will escape.  Somebody is going to have to make sure that sonofabitch gets smoked.  Could be you, if you want the job.

Anathanasia

Quote from: WyzardWhately on February 20, 2010, 09:36:26 PM
I may have been unclear...the temple is actually in the city, it's hidden.  Probably near the port, since they're largely amphibious.  So, it's definitely a non-wilderness adventure.  Also, there's a high risk the high priest of the temple will escape.  Somebody is going to have to make sure that sonofabitch gets smoked.  Could be you, if you want the job.

Oh, yeah, nice. Sure...do I remember there being a 1e book that had prices for assassination contracts? That 1e DMG had all kinds of cool charts and tables, from what I recall.

Either way, I do want to start and definately don't want to be left out because I'm being difficult, so it definately works for me. Especially if there's a chance of trouble...hehe... ;)

Tagan

Quote from: WyzardWhately on February 20, 2010, 09:36:26 PM
I just asked him to roll up what spells my character knows.  That might work for you - it's apparently random.

Well, it's only random the first spell, and if you fail to roll your spell getting percentages.

That's why I need to know how many I get to know.  I want to start rolling for them.

Kate

have updated with details of my village
(which may be moved into another section in Bergovia)

https://elliquiy.com/wiki/Ayeoa

It needs approval by the great triangle in its current state and some idea
of the financial benefits the village can get from its silk production etc before time can tick over for the community.

Also my character is in a state ready for adventure.  Either her or one or more of my followers I am happy to role play either alone or with others that are adventures from the other thread (The Twin Kingdoms of Zagzys and Bergovia) (they can be part of my community or someone I hire ... or someone I happen to meet ..)

Currently the village is taxless - with the hope new village- industries will pay for the villages improvement (and military) directly ... ideally keeping the populus tax free..

RubySlippers

My character will be ready soon. Just deciding on what she could do to make a living.

The Great Triangle

Consult https://elliquiy.com/wiki/Abilities for details on how many spells you get.  If you end up rolling random spells and get a spell you already have, you develop an enhanced version of the spell.  (this is one of the changes I've made)  The spells section of the wiki covers the special spells you can get.

Quote from: Kate on February 21, 2010, 07:50:34 AM
have updated with details of my village
(which may be moved into another section in Bergovia)

It needs approval by the great triangle in its current state and some idea
of the financial benefits the village can get from its silk production etc before time can tick over for the community.

Currently the village is taxless - with the hope new village- industries will pay for the villages improvement (and military) directly ... ideally keeping the populus tax free..

The village also looks alright, although I see it having a population more than 1000 or so, assuming that the families you talked about are just the leading families.  Raising new industries in the town will make your population more loyal and improve the town's growth rate, which can let you charge more taxes.  It'll eventually require a financial outlay from you to get things going though.  (and your gems are an extremely dangerous way of doing that.)

Ons and Offs

Kate

well in order to make certain decisions - can you tell me how much my village can get from just silk farms alone (which they sell in markets in neighboring cities and villages)

... also what size a community you think is suitable ... i am happy for those families to be lead families.

the gems are more in hope of creating the strange creatures i am talking about - and to pay for the outlay of tools etc for the real industries which will be the villages income.

lets say 1000 people min ... i want to have (if i need to role play them or not) some of the other industries before the town grows - thus keeping it tax free - perhaps different one off charges may be imposed for some things - but no blanket taxes for any of those that are lower than middle class. (I am not sure how much my purse can manage to pay for things until it gets out of hand and devalues itself (some idea of what trickle is acceptable would help).

Its more loyalty and decent standard of living i prefer over city growth - I have a plan for it increasing in power in ways other than just more people which i am happy to talk to any about.

The Great Triangle

Silk farming can generate a decent enough income to support the importation of manufactured and luxury goods.  I'm not going to track the GDP of every town in the world, because that would be really, REALLY painful. 

At any rate, the purse's economic effects depend mostly on what it's used for, since the thing was built as a weapon of mass destruction by a god of thievery.  You can count on it being able to pay for tools to expand your community without damaging anything, but if you use it to hoard wealth or pay for a mercenary army, you'll attract the wrath of the gods. 

Ons and Offs

Tagan

Quote from: The Great Triangle on February 21, 2010, 10:39:44 AM
Consult https://elliquiy.com/wiki/Abilities for details on how many spells you get.  If you end up rolling random spells and get a spell you already have, you develop an enhanced version of the spell.  (this is one of the changes I've made)  The spells section of the wiki covers the special spells you can get.

Of course I read this already... however I'm not sure I understand it.  Do you mean I get 7 spells of each level?  Or 11 spells?

Also, how can I fix the character sheet in the wiki?

The Great Triangle

You get 7 spells of each level, but can learn up to 11.

Also, I can fix your character sheet's formatting on the wiki.

Ons and Offs

RubySlippers

I asked this earlier why don't EVIL clerics command undead it seems logical since they are most likely to animate corpses since that is generally seen as the practice of dark folks. I see all clerics in your game turn them though seems odd since my character is not good?

The Great Triangle

Actually all clerics have the capacity to protect and bolster undead, and whatever other catagories of beings their gods exert power over.  This is explained in the turn udead rules.  A cleric of Tlazolet would have the ability to turn Succubi at the same efficiency other clerics turn unded, in addition to being able to turn undead.  Bolstering undead would be extremely unlikely, unless they were vampires, since Tlazolet's purview has a lot to do with life and fecundity.

Ons and Offs

RubySlippers

I have a question how much and can I get bouncers, soldiers wouldn't suit a whorehouse  I need a big nasty scary brutes that can pound in heads if needed but have that don't frak with me thing going. I was thinking 20sp a month each base, plus a room for the right street savey type of fighting man. Armored in studded leather, with light weapons like a short sword and dagger. In most settled areas of size getting their armor and weapons maintained should be available. I should only need two on staff. Sound ok?

I decided on her role now she will own and run a church of her deity ,not a temple, in some settlement that is large enough that is well your classic whorehouse and drug den (poison sold to kill vermin only naturally)  ;D

Naturally we need to work out her income I'm thinking an open door policy for a donation to the temple (for up to a day), girls hirelings but fairly treated so if I do that how much for whores? I could do the take the cut but I'd prefer to just pay them for the month and have them work. I just need to figure out how to do this.

The Great Triangle

What you just described is light infantry.  :-)  You hire light infantry and call them bouncers.  Such people will have sufficient training to do bouncer work, though you'll need to hire a warrior of at least 1st level to supervise them and keep them orderly. 

As for whores, the term "body servant" is actually a euphanism for prostitute, so whores cost 50sp a month each.  A well run den of sin in a prosperous community makes a decent profit, although I don't want to worry too much about it, since your character is likely running the business for religious reasons, and will instead receive xp based on the health of the bordello. 

Ons and Offs

Kate

wow. cool.

I think it would be cool if ruby could find or create an item that allowed her to control undead, if evil priests can't already do so.

The Great Triangle

Why in pohjola would a cleric of a life deity want to control the undead? 

I've set up an OOC thread in NC-E, to help keep people's interest up.  The IC threads will be going up very soon, once I have party and adventuring details set up.  Use the OOC thread to finalize what adventuring parties you're going to be in.

https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=61457.new#new

Ons and Offs

Tagan

Just a quick question before I finish my equipment list.  Is dual weapon use an option?  If it is, would it take a weapon proficency slot?  What would be the rules on it?

(If it's not an option, then that answers the other questions, obviously.) 

RubySlippers

Quote from: The Great Triangle on February 22, 2010, 08:48:52 AM
Why in pohjola would a cleric of a life deity want to control the undead? 

I've set up an OOC thread in NC-E, to help keep people's interest up.  The IC threads will be going up very soon, once I have party and adventuring details set up.  Use the OOC thread to finalize what adventuring parties you're going to be in.

https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=61457.new#new

Ever see a nice movie Zombie Strippers, so what about some sicko ,er, faithful devotee that wants to ride a female zombie? Just making the arguement not I want to roleplay that out but read her description your saying necrophilia is not a sexual fetish she would support. Animated bodies might even be be better for some folks.  >:)

Again just making a case where she might need to do that for safety that would fit the deities domains of interest.

Kate

a necromancer i think can actually - its a type of magic user.

Kate

hey my character belongs to the other thread (where you control your own nation .. which is related to this one (we may cross paths and have adventures that effect each other)

if any wish to join my little locale all welcome !

Ixy

I really hope that we do get an opportunity to venture over to your character's kingdom, Kate.  I'm not immediately sure why, but I think your character's territory is more like the kind of place my adventurer would look after establishing herself-- it doesn't seem like there's an immediate need for warriors there, whereas something could come up that would draw the attention of established aventurers once the story starts.

RubySlippers

I'd show up but not sure if she could make any money running a church there, of her diety.  >:)

Tagan

I wonder if we could start a meeting thread to get things started?  TGT is temporaily incomunicado for good reason, but he's been encouraging to such in the past, so I don't think a simple hiring thread would be inapropriate.  It certainly would let us start to explore our characterizations.

WyzardWhately

Quote from: Tagan on February 25, 2010, 07:13:04 PM
I wonder if we could start a meeting thread to get things started?  TGT is temporaily incomunicado for good reason, but he's been encouraging to such in the past, so I don't think a simple hiring thread would be inapropriate.  It certainly would let us start to explore our characterizations.

I think this is a good idea.  Although you've probably just volunteered to start it.

Kate

well i have been given the green light to use my purse more to set up the town to make it useful for what i hae in mind - i was thinking that clearing some caves about the place would be useful - and ensureing the surrounding area is safe for all to wonder ...

RubySlippers

When I get a training program I'll need to send a priestess to your town later on.  >:)

Tagan

Quote from: WyzardWhately on February 25, 2010, 09:04:15 PM
I think this is a good idea.  Although you've probably just volunteered to start it.

Druther be a Balkin General, given my druthers.

Kate