The Jungle Book (Spoilors i guess but you know what happens)

Started by Far eyes, April 16, 2016, 07:37:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Far eyes

So earlier today i saw the new "The Jungle Book" movie
I...   i struggle to really express how i feel about it, it was not bad...  but it was so discordantly off kilter in so meany ways that i want to say it was bad.
So meany things about it feel so..  off.
The animals act human but are cgied to look "real" and i am using air quotes here because because they do not really. I found the effect oddly..   i dont even know, discordant i guess its not exactly uncanny valley but its notable off, mostly because its made to be off and this kind of continues trough out this movie. It all feels off even the end message and the consequences of action feel off.

It almost feels like "the message" is just a message and everybody there just kind of randomly agrees because they like Mogli. And the villain is the villain so he dies.

I can not for the life of me explain the high ratings of this thing except, people must like it and i apparently am not one of the crowd on this one. And its not that its actually bad, its just so..  off. The end is kind of different and they decide to keep some songs from the Disney cartoon that just adds to the off odd feeling of it. It just feels like this "thing" that cant seem to figure out what it is.

I dont hate it and i dont like it but at the same time i really dont feel this movie. It basically dos noting, and dos it to adult to really be for children and to discordant to really opreachiate. It had some "Interesting" moment and voice acting but its also the creepiest oddest bits that are partially exactly that.

This is a horrible comparison and my reasons for making it are purely based on a sort of after feeling, but its like watching the dark crystal without having the oddness and strange attraction of having watched the Dark Crystal its just the sense of it being off. I dont think i can quiet express my feeling on the movie, but i would not really tell anybody to go see it. There are plenty of movies rated much much lower i would sooner tell people to go see. 

I end up saying "off" a lot but its really the only way i can put it...  its like a twilight zone episode that goes on for to long and nobody lets anybody in on the joke there is no punchline and its not acknowledged.   
What a man says: "Through roleplaying, I want to explore the reality of the female experience and gain a better understanding of what it means to be a woman."

What he means: "I like lesbians".
A/A
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=180557.0

LordRod

I must admit I liked it but I can easily see why you don't.

I think the reason it gets such high ratings is because...its ridiculously good for the weird thing that it is.

You would expect something like this to be awful or forgettable, and instead they have put meticulous care and thought into it.  The voice work is magnificent, the animals are human like but also very animal like.  The culture of the jungle makes sense, it also has a lot of charm from the original but loses some of the...weirdness and fifties propisms.  They let Mogli stay in the jungle instead of shoehorning in a love interest.

Basically....I think its just....something you like even if you can't say why, and for that reason, not like it makes total sense.
Glory is being Great and being Useful - Simon Bolivar

Because its There - Sir Edmund Hillary

"The Lord of the Mans of Rod" - Me, spelling everything write and still getting the sentence wrong.

On and Offs - https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=265306.0

Sabby

The trailer annoys me more than it should. Same generic epic adventure music that's in every movie, but some asshole on a trumpet will occasionally do a few notes from Bare Necessities.

Thorne

They essentially re-did the 1967 animated movie, as far as I can tell. With some of the songs. Which I could have done without, thanks.

I kind of want to kick them. The original stories are already scary enough without adding all the extra (unnecessary) murder and threats. The threat of a man-eating tiger isn't enough, but we have to make him worse?

Writer of horrors, artist of mayhem.

Currently available, frequently lurking.
Ons and Offs
Absences and Apologies
Ideas and inspirations: small groups

la dame en noir

I don't understand why you don't like it, but you don't and thats your right. I loved the moved and so did my girlfriend who read the stories. There are essentially 4 animals that want to use or kill him - Shere Khan, Baloo, Kaa, and King Louie. How they are portrayed is absolutely amazing and I loved every bit of it.

It's a fantasy novel, so of course they're going to talk - they talk in the damned book for christ sake. The score for the movie was brilliant and I loved how the played out the songs. I love the cast the chose and who they chose for them to play.

I love it

100x more than the original animated or any other adaption of the book. It was beautiful and I've already seen it twice.

edit: it makes me cringe when people don't get that its a DISNEY movie.

As for the talking animals, each animal or group of animals had their own language in the book. Disney followed more closely (while still keeping it family friendly) to the book. I thought it was a lot darker than that bland 1967 animated movie and I loved that they kept the songs. It's fucking DISNEY lmao
Games(Group & 1x1): 7 | Post Rate: 1 - 6 days | Availability: Actively looking!
A&A | FxF |
O/Os | FxF Writers Directory

Thorne

Honestly, I don't really expect anyone to share my reasons for disliking it. They're my reasons. At the same time... there were things I liked. Just.. not enough to keep me from wanting to slap some writers for making a travesty of one of my favorite stories. :/

That having been said? I'd probably recommend it over the animated version; they /nailed/ Kaa. Even if Kipling did write him as male originally, it is, nevertheless, perfect, it /works/. Ms. Johanssen does a beautifully terrifying, hypnotic python-voice. For that alone...

But I grew up with the books, and the movies make a hash out of a lot of the rest of the characters, where they don't go and invent things (King Louie, for an example). That, I'm not so thrilled with.
And, yah. Disney. I wish they had thrown the original scripts out and picked up the book they were based off of; because Disney can and /has/ done darker fare, and done it well. I know they can; it's one of the reasons I was so disappointed.
Writer of horrors, artist of mayhem.

Currently available, frequently lurking.
Ons and Offs
Absences and Apologies
Ideas and inspirations: small groups

la dame en noir

Games(Group & 1x1): 7 | Post Rate: 1 - 6 days | Availability: Actively looking!
A&A | FxF |
O/Os | FxF Writers Directory

LordRod

Quote from: Thorne on April 17, 2016, 04:05:06 PM
Honestly, I don't really expect anyone to share my reasons for disliking it. They're my reasons. At the same time... there were things I liked. Just.. not enough to keep me from wanting to slap some writers for making a travesty of one of my favorite stories. :/

That having been said? I'd probably recommend it over the animated version; they /nailed/ Kaa. Even if Kipling did write him as male originally, it is, nevertheless, perfect, it /works/. Ms. Johanssen does a beautifully terrifying, hypnotic python-voice. For that alone...

But I grew up with the books, and the movies make a hash out of a lot of the rest of the characters, where they don't go and invent things (King Louie, for an example). That, I'm not so thrilled with.
And, yah. Disney. I wish they had thrown the original scripts out and picked up the book they were based off of; because Disney can and /has/ done darker fare, and done it well. I know they can; it's one of the reasons I was so disappointed.

Kaa was so awesome I hope she's in the sequel...and actually amazingly find myself mildly hopeful it won't be awful.

And yes. There will be one. 
Glory is being Great and being Useful - Simon Bolivar

Because its There - Sir Edmund Hillary

"The Lord of the Mans of Rod" - Me, spelling everything write and still getting the sentence wrong.

On and Offs - https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=265306.0

Life in Color

I've never been attracted to a tiger before.

But.

If it's a tiger that opens its mouth and Idris Elba's voices comes out of...

I feel like that's okay, right?

That being said.

The movie was rad-a-tat-tat.