I have just applied to join the Air Force...

Started by White Wolf, April 09, 2018, 04:03:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

White Wolf

...in my country.

I'm not actually sure I can pass the medical; I have intra-ocular lenses and the online literature isn't clear whether or not the Air Force here prohibits them.

I do know, however, that should I not be able to get into the Air Force I pass the criteria for getting into the Army, so I'm not too bothered by it. If the Air Force doesn't work out I'll simply re-apply to join the Army. With a degree under my belt I can apply for a cadetship on the path to a commission, so either way, it's exciting as Hell.

The one thing that stands to hold me back, is my level of fitness - non-existent.

I've never been physically fit, and desperately need to beat myself into shape ahead of the fitness examination during the interview stage of my candidacy. I've already emailed my local gym looking for an appointment to talk membership; the military recruitment office emailed me a fitness plan that I intend to work off.

But...as I said, I've literally never taken care of myself before. Is it childish and stupid to ask...erm...for advice, tips, what have you, on how to get and stay fit, and anything else like that?

I would really appreciate any help anyone can offer, about taking care of oneself and keeping up that level of motivation.

Thank you all!

~~White Wolf
The stars are coming right. Is this really the end?

RubySlippers

Well I would use the Army fitness preparation its very likely higher and if one can do that you can do the Air Force one, very likely, like a boss. I have a friends child who wanted to join the British Navy and used the British Marine Commando preparation levels to get ready which was far over the regular intake physical level and even though he failed the latter he did the former pretty easy. But don't rush take your time don't move to get in until your ready to give it a good shot.

Sirius

Well bud, I want to say congrats. To join the military at all is a big deal, it is a courageous and noble act.

I served in the US Marine Corps for five years, and I did get into the best shape of my life. There are many things you can do to work on fitness.

First and foremost, diet. Your diet can do a lot for you. I gained 60lbs in the last 3 years since I left active duty. In the last few weeks, I've finally been able to begin getting myself put back together. I'm eating better, and that alone has helped me to lose weight, and make me feel better overall.

Swimming is a fantastic thing you can do. It works just about every muscle in your body, to include your tendons. The resistance can help with strength training, and the swimming itself helps with endurance. To help things along too, there is a program that I learned about when I was in the Marines called AMP-IT. I don't remember what it stands for, but it is essentially HIIT/HITT (High Intensity Tactical Training) in the water. The idea and premise is that anything you do outside the water, you can do in the water. It was designed primarily for Marines who are injured to continue their physical training in a low impact environment so they can stay in better shape and have a quicker recovery time. I absolutely loved it. If you're interested in exploring any of this, feel free to ask, bud. I have no qualms helping out and guiding.

Lastly, I'll share a link with you. I found this, and it did cost me a couple hundred to sign up, but it is a one time payment for a lifetime membership. I did research on the workouts before I signed up, and looked into the guy, and it's all pretty legit. The creator is a personal trainer. He spends time doing research on celebrities and superheroes and their workouts and diet plans, so that you can emulate and follow the routines. It helps out, especially for beginners or people who don't have a lot of time to sit down and think up a routine, that way they can just pick up and go. It has different paths too, body weight, high intensity, running, yoga, body building, fighting, etc.

https://superherojacked.com/

Lastly, but definately the most important. Safety. I can not stress this enough. If you are unsure on how to do a work out, youtube and Men's Fitness magazine have videos to show you how to properly do a work out. Focus on form before you ever think about weight because you can hurt yourself if you do them wrong. This all goes double for working your back. Don't let this scare you. It's just a precaution, I don't want to steer you in the wrong direction. This is all assuming that you are weight lifting of course.