Multiple characters

Started by Lord of Shadows, May 16, 2005, 01:40:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lord of Shadows

It this something that can be supported in the future?

Of course you can do in "manually" by begin you post by telling "Character X" or something.

Lilac

It's on the to do list.  Easier items come first (chat is done, gallery needs doing, new topic graphic needs doing, fix / spruce up dieroller...) - there is a lot that goes into a character manager.

Lord of Shadows

I guessed it was something like that. Don't feel stressed over the matter, take your time :)

I was just unsure if it was even possible, but if it is :) then I wait and fix the thing as I suggested above in the mean time.

Lilac

Nothing's impossible, just, does someone have the time, will, and skill to do it.

Lord of Shadows

Well the site is written in PHP so I would manage I believe.

Hunter

OOOOOooo!!!  New features.   *drools*   :-*

TheWolf

Just to interject my own two cents,

I've been looking into adding the ability for multiple personas to SMF forums for a while (in actuality to add it to another site...), but unfortunately I have little time of my own...  I know PHP (among a whole host of other languages) so as soon as I find the time (and if I get it done for the other site) I'll gladly pass on the ability to this site!!

My main problem as well as time though, is that I don't have anywhere where I can develop PHP code by having a Dev-SMF site set up, having that resource would go along way towards having this ability (mainly because I don't want to work on a 'live' site in case something goes wrong!), does anyone know of where I might find free PHP/MySQL hosting, or does anyone have PHP hosting they'd be willing to use a small portion thereof to develop?  (asking a lot I know, but it's worth a shot.  exact details about access could be handled later...)

WolfMan

List Of Current Threads
List Of Ons & Offs

Wondering if I'd be interested?  PM me!

Lilac

I have no idea.  I can't setup a subaccount, though I have a couple dummy databases.

Feel free to post your php code and we can hask things out ^_^

Akhanu

I'll see what I can do to squeeze a test site for you. Am not familiar with SMF, what is needed? Hosting space, php support, ftp-transfer capabilities and a MySQL database? Am I correct?
Experience Chan! There's neither distance nor intimacy. Observation is like a family treasure. Whether with eyes, ears, body, nose, or tongue - It's hard to say which is the most amazing to use.
-  Master Xu Yun

Ons and Offs

Lilac

Quote from: Akhanu on June 13, 2005, 06:32:27 AM
I'll see what I can do to squeeze a test site for you. Am not familiar with SMF, what is needed? Hosting space, php support, ftp-transfer capabilities and a MySQL database? Am I correct?

Vekseid and I are finding ssh access very helpful.  It's not required, but there needs to be a way to handle sql statements directly.

TheWolf

Apologies, missed the responses until now...

*smiles*  Yes, those seem to be the main requirements, and the SMF code isn't that big (the main size comes from the DB) so hosting requirements shouldn't be too big (especially as this is purely a development site), on top of this bandwidth usage should be pretty low as well, again because only a few people will be visiting the site while the code is tested...

My main issue is finding the time, as much of my time is not my own (you can ask Pixie on that score...), but the multiple characters functionality would make the SMF forums so much more usable for everyone...

If you can find a dev site for me, I can find the time, much of the code is written as I found someone else who had wanted the same thing for his forums and he wrote a fair amount of the code, I've been tweaking it, and will more than likely get to work some of the dev bugs out, hence me wanting a dev site in case something happened, I wouldn't want to bring everything down...  How can this happen you ask?  The code for the multiple characters writes to the DB, and if something happens there on a live site, then theoretically everything could go *poof*...

Anyway, let me know and I'll keep working on my end...

WolfMan

List Of Current Threads
List Of Ons & Offs

Wondering if I'd be interested?  PM me!

Lilac

I've set up a test site for my own purposes (getting a real dieroller going, for one...) - so I can certainly test code ^_^

Akhanu

Ok, I see. I will see to provide a dev-site for all this, ssh access included. I can't tell when it will be done but I hope within the ending of this week. Let me cross-check first that I will not be doing something that is not allowed (the account I'll be providing is on a server of my company where I work) and then I'll let you know. Keep checking this thread for more news in regard.
Experience Chan! There's neither distance nor intimacy. Observation is like a family treasure. Whether with eyes, ears, body, nose, or tongue - It's hard to say which is the most amazing to use.
-  Master Xu Yun

Ons and Offs