News:

"Forbidden Fruit [L-H]"
Congratulations Mellific & Swashbuckler for completing your RP!

Main Menu

Do laptops not come with optical drives anymore?

Started by Inkidu, September 05, 2014, 08:23:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Inkidu

So on a lark (and in the hope of finally finding gainful employment) I decided to look at the Alienware 14 that they're advertising all over the place. It's a "gaming" laptop, and I'm sure I could find a comparable PC, but I was looking through the specs and I got to Optical drive and it said none, and gave no options to provide one.

I kind of need the ability to play CD's so it's strange that a gaming laptop would not provide gamers with a physical means of installation. :|
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Qt

You could just download things now be it large games or loseless music. Storing things seems to be far better done either through the cloud or using hard drives so optical drive seem rather useless these days.

I haven't touched the optical drive for the last two laptops I had, so I definitely would miss them if they are gone.

Also the strong push for thin laptops and tablets also means optical drives are the first things getting ditched.

Inkidu

Quote from: Qt on September 05, 2014, 09:28:47 AM
You could just download things now be it large games or loseless music. Storing things seems to be far better done either through the cloud or using hard drives so optical drive seem rather useless these days.

I haven't touched the optical drive for the last two laptops I had, so I definitely would miss them if they are gone.

Also the strong push for thin laptops and tablets also means optical drives are the first things getting ditched.
Yeah I was afraid of some elitist rigmarole like that.

"You can afford a kick-ass gaming laptop, of course you have high-speed internet!"

Lolnope. 
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

The Dark Raven

Quote from: Inkidu on September 05, 2014, 09:44:15 AM
Yeah I was afraid of some elitist rigmarole like that.

"You can afford a kick-ass gaming laptop, of course you have high-speed internet!"

Lolnope.

I actually refuse to even look at computers that don't have an optical drive.  I play movies on my computer since I don't have a tv.  I buy hard copies of my programs.  I use the optical drive a lot.  I also use digital downloads for things like my nook and my ipod, and for services that use it (like battle.net).

The need of a useful optical drive got me to make the switch from laptop to desktop, though I still keep my laptop for when I am going somewhere that I can't take my desktop.

If you are specifically looking for a laptop, I'd say go for an hp (not kidding).  Alienware is more expensive because you are paying for the name.  If you are looking for a gaming rig in a desktop form, go to newegg and Frankenstein it.

Check my A/A | O/O | Patience is begged. Momma to Rainbow Babies and teetering toward the goal of published author. Tentatively taking new stories.

Inkidu

Well I'm looking for a pretty good gaming laptop because I hope if I can get a job and sop away for that little enjoyment that I'll also be able to move out eventually and having a laptop would be easier than lugging around a desktop.

I wasn't actually planning on getting the Alienware because I know you're paying for the name, but they did have a nice casing, so if I could find something comparable that'd be nice, something optimized for gaming, but if it means I don't get something as basic as an optical drive I'll definitely give it a pass no matter how good it is. I like watching my DVDs too.

Rogue

Well... It's not like you can't find an external optical drive....

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=usb+external+cd+dvd+drive&tag=hydsma-20&index=aps&hvadid=36148185180&hvpos=1t1&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=826542804298108533&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=b&hvdev=m&ref=pd_sl_9laqzsefrb_b

It's an extra twenty dollars but it'll work with whatever computer you end up going with.

Also considering how popular multiplayer is at the moment it's not hard to assume that it's a bare minimum for most gamers to have decent internet.

Inkidu

Quote from: Rogue of TimeyWimey Stuff on September 05, 2014, 11:59:47 AM
Well... It's not like you can't find an external optical drive....

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=usb+external+cd+dvd+drive&tag=hydsma-20&index=aps&hvadid=36148185180&hvpos=1t1&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=826542804298108533&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=b&hvdev=m&ref=pd_sl_9laqzsefrb_b

It's an extra twenty dollars but it'll work with whatever computer you end up going with.

Also considering how popular multiplayer is at the moment it's not hard to assume that it's a bare minimum for most gamers to have decent internet.
Well, I honestly did not know they made USB optical drives.

Also, whether the assumption is hard or easy to make is irrelevant. I can play some things online, but there's a difference between playing mutiplayer and the assumption that everyone can just download a 50GB game (Thief). 

Lilias

Quote from: Inkidu on September 05, 2014, 12:13:26 PM
Well, I honestly did not know they made USB optical drives.

I have one, as netbooks never had built-in ODs. I see no difference between that setup and having a separate TV and DVD player. Built-in is nice, but not necessary. :-)
To go in the dark with a light is to know the light.
To know the dark, go dark. Go without sight,
and find that the dark, too, blooms and sings,
and is traveled by dark feet and dark wings.
~Wendell Berry

Double Os <> Double As (updated Feb 20) <> The Hoard <> 50 Tales 2024 <> The Lab <> ELLUIKI

Inkidu

Quote from: Lilias on September 05, 2014, 12:30:32 PM
I have one, as netbooks never had built-in ODs. I see no difference between that setup and having a separate TV and DVD player. Built-in is nice, but not necessary. :-)
I'll probably end up getting one. All the high-end laptops seem to be missing built ins.

Caeli

I think all the high-end laptops are moving towards the trend of thinner and more portable, which is probably why they're missing the optical drive.  The USB external OD is probably the best solution (I might have to get one myself, as I didn't realize until now that my new laptop was missing one).
ʙᴜᴛᴛᴇʀғʟɪᴇs ᴀʀᴇ ɢᴏᴅ's ᴘʀᴏᴏғ ᴛʜᴀᴛ ᴡᴇ ᴄᴀɴ ʜᴀᴠᴇ ᴀ sᴇᴄᴏɴᴅ ᴄʜᴀɴᴄᴇ ᴀᴛ ʟɪғᴇ
ᴠᴇʀʏ sᴇʟᴇᴄᴛɪᴠᴇʟʏ ᴀᴠᴀɪʟᴀʙʟᴇ ғᴏʀ ɴᴇᴡ ʀᴏʟᴇᴘʟᴀʏs

ᴄʜᴇᴄᴋ ❋ ғᴏʀ ɪᴅᴇᴀs; 'ø' ғᴏʀ ᴏɴs&ᴏғғs, ᴏʀ ᴘᴍ ᴍᴇ.
{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ᴄʜᴏᴏsᴇ ʏᴏᴜʀ ᴏᴡɴ ᴀᴅᴠᴇɴᴛᴜʀᴇ: ᴛʜᴇ ғɪғᴛʜ sᴄʜᴏʟᴀʀʟʏ ᴀʀᴛ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ
»  ᴘʟᴏᴛ ʙᴜɴɴɪᴇs × sᴛᴏʀʏ sᴇᴇᴅs × ᴄʜᴀʀᴀᴄᴛᴇʀ ɪɴsᴘɪʀᴀᴛɪᴏɴs

Inkidu

Quote from: Caeli on September 05, 2014, 12:42:30 PM
I think all the high-end laptops are moving towards the trend of thinner and more portable, which is probably why they're missing the optical drive.  The USB external OD is probably the best solution (I might have to get one myself, as I didn't realize until now that my new laptop was missing one).
Yeah but the few I looked at looked beefy enough to carry them.

Honestly though I really want one with an all metal frame. I'm tired of the hinges crapping out on me in a year. :|

So yeah, usb is probably the way to go.

Dice

When I built my PC, I put a CD drive in it. Used it to install Windows and Linux, have not used it since. As for my laptop, same deal. I take it to UNI and use there wifi, I reformat it once a year and that's the only time I use the drive. I honestly would rather use that space for more storage than waste it on a drive. Different needs I guess.

As for "Gaming" laptops, the wish to add more storage, more battery and less bulk means something has to give. What loses out are things like the Optical Drive, speakers and ports. Anything to make it lighter and thinner. Something that I feel is dumb since you will just throw it in a back pack with its charger, mouse and a headset anyway. Weight at that point does not really mean all that much.