Highlander: the Gathering - interest check

Started by Teo Torriatte, June 09, 2012, 10:14:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pumpkin Seeds

Mine will most likely be from Genoa.  Not sure what age range we are looking for but I was angling toward her being active around the Third Crusade.  Was writing up some dealings with her in Israel and the Italian area.  Looking at her being a shrewd woman of buisness that learned to operate through male contacts and various husbands over the ages.

Elias

Name: Chuulun
Nation: Mongolia
Personality: Born in the steppes of Mongolia, he lived on a horse and it provided him a place of purpose and strength, Chuulun rarely speaks but when he does he has something important to say, he made few friends as an immortal, and learning the rules of his life on his own made him cold toward many others of his kind however he has befriended a few and trusts them enough to give him a fair fight for the prize. Thats really all he asks as the end come. If he dies he wishes to do it standing and with a sword beaten from his hand proud.

History: WIP

Pumpkin Seeds

Name: Emmanuelle Fabbri
Nation of birth: City state of Genoa
Personality: For her the world is not a game of strength or willpower, but one of strategy.  Everyone is a piece on a game board waiting for someone with the presence of mind to move them into place.  A cynical view some might say, but Emmanuelle would only respond that her position is of the practical mindset.  She has little time for the nonsense of the philosopher or the whimsy of the faint hearted.  Born at a time when her sex placed her at the disadvantage, she has learned to seek advantage where others grew shy.  Seduction and manipulation were simply tools for her to use, along with a ruthless mind and ambitious heart.  Failure is merely a setback and fear is for the weak.  Emmanuelle is a driven woman that has blended into the background of history to speak through powerful men and craft her own fortune with their hands. 

Softness has always been held in her heart though.  Emmanuelle half-jokingly admits to holding a special place for “fools.”  Not all of her husbands have been the rich or the powerful, as she has come down from her lofty homes to find love with the wayward and the normal.  Men for whom the world is a place of purpose and possibility, her heart has gone out to them.  Money also finds its way from her pocket to fund shelters and research.  Many times her finances have found investment into companies and ideas that hold more hope than promise.  “Pity for a dreamer,” she would call her acts but they still occur despite her tone.  Emmanuelle envies the one who can dream and even more the one capable of making their dream real.  She has come to terms knowing that her place is behind the throne, but she will gladly help the jesters that step forward.

Weapon of choice: For a time Emmanuelle tried to survive the Game by using other Immortals to fight in her place.  There was always someone willing to fight and seek the Quickening in her place as she deplored the art of fighting.  The method worked well until the same guardian she would use turned their sword on her one too many times.  Seduction goes only so far when the person is Immortal after all.  A few such people were put down by her charms, but reality set in that the sword would have to be taken up in her defense.

Emmanuelle learned the art from two influences.  Italian masters and Arabic warriors were both at her disposal to train her.  As such she has taken to wielding the falchion as her weapon of choice.  The size of the weapon is short but heavy, a good combination she finds for the tighter quarters of urban fighting.  Able to thrust and slash, Emmanuelle has developed a style of fighting that relies upon variety and trickery to ease her opponents into comfort.  Over the centuries she has proven her method and style to be superior to more traditional efforts.

Still, Emmanuelle does not seek to fight.  The Game will end eventually and she would rather others fight until they are tired.  Younger Immortals are often bought off or tempted away from her, while the older ones will find a quick friend with her.  Some view this method as a sign of weakness or cowardice, attempting to intimidate or outright take her heard.  The collection of swords at her estate in Italy is a testament to how difficult achieving the eight hundredth birthday can be.

History: I am a collector of fools.  A curator of idiots both man and woman, young and old.  They have come to me so easily over the years.  Some are innocents that have yet to see truth in the world, others so wrongfully believe they are devilishly clever.  My first husband was much like the latter.  So prideful of his wit and intellect that he thought himself the equal of so many older and wiser men.  A pretty face and sweet tongue, he had nothing between those simple little ears.  Too bad my father had so such sense either.  He heard only the honeyed words of a talented talker and saw the trappings of nobility.  Perhaps I start too late, but in truth my life is such a bore before the moment my father promised my hand to Vincheto Fabbri.

My father had such ambitions for our family.  A fool in his own right, but still he had the best of intentions.  There is a saying about such intentions, but I forget such things now.  So my father sold me off to the man with a pretty face and a sweet smile.  Paid good coin to the Fabbri family so that the wedding would attract the most promising prospects and my husband would make us a fortune.  Looking back I remembered being so afraid, so worried for my new beginning.  Still I knew that my father had bought a bad trade when my eyes caught sight of the ledgers.  The coin used for my wedding was the most money the Fabbri family had seen in a long time.  Credit and lenders made up the rest of those accounts.  Empty promises my husband had from merchant guilds and foreign investors.  No surprise to me then that my marriage bed was to be the rocking of a ship.  My night of virginal bliss spent listening to sailors shout encouragement to my husband.  To hear people speak of romance then, I think they would be so disappointed with the accounts.

Acre would be my final resting place or at least the first of many.  Alas, I get ahead of myself.  So quick a leap leaves so many questions does it not? 

My husband was there on strict orders from his patrons in Genoa.  Crusaders had descended on Israel at the time though no actual Crusade had been called.  Tensions were rising in the West and also in the East.  Battle would be coming and so the men would need steel and weapons.  My husband had such commodities in spades and they were of fine quality I will admit even now.  So there we lived and there was tried to start our family.  Poor Acre, such a beautiful place at one time but now simply rubble.  No doubt due to the eruption of violence.  My foolish husband had failed to secure us safe passage when the Crusade was called and the blood began to fill the streets.  Vincheto died valiantly to defend my honor, showing himself a true husband in the final moments.  I showed myself his devoted wife by skewering the bastard who took my husband and earning myself a quick death to avoid more trouble.  A proper death for a noblewoman I believe, if death can be achieved with any manner of proper circumstance.

Azaria

Name: Lyla Turan. Also known as Lyla Moreau

Personality: Lyla is shy, almost hiding behind her sweet smile when around new people, but her true flirty, catlike personality appears when she's among people she knows. Sometimes she has the whims to be sadistic and cruel to no limits, and sometimes very merciful that she can't bear seeing anyone, or anything in pain.

Background:I was born in Egypt, year of 1420. In the time of Mamluk reign, exactly in the middle of the Burji dynasty to a French father and an Egyptian mother. My mother fell in love with my father and he deceived her into a relationship that left her pregnant with me. Fleeing the scene after she told him she had to tell her family, being one of the noble Egyptians they chose to wed her to her cousin to avoid the scandal of being found pregnant or the questioning of why they killed her.

Growing up in the poisoned atmosphere between a mother who can't defend herself to defend me and a father I never understood his reason to hate me, even though I did feel it every time I look at my own reflection and the faces of my brothers and sisters. Knowing the truth finally when my mother decided to tell me right before she dies leaving me in the age of 10. I knew later that my grandfather was around looking for me, my "father" refused to give me to him fearing the scandal and arranged my marriage as a second wife to Sultan Barsbay. The Mamluk Sultan of Egypt at that time 4 years after my mother's death.

I lived with the busy Sultan for 4 years, a barren, lifeless years that ended with his death and me being returned to my father's house, who didn't know what to do with me this time so he took me in a long journey to Constantinople and sold me as a slave. I served as a slave for several masters mostly as a concubine because they valued my beauty and my noble appearance.

Three more years passed on me in this life until I arrived into a household of one of the great Ottoman nobles who favoured me over his own wife, which made her slip a deadly snake into our bed one night, eventually killing us both. My rising from the dead did scare the woman to her own death and I fled the scene knowing that I will be blamed for it. Taking all my jewelries with me and whatever I could carry in the silent night in a wooden box on a mule, heading to the port I booked my way on a ship that crossed the Bosphorus to Europe.

My life in Europe wasn't easy, even I had the money to live on my own it wasn't always easy for me. I had to move from place to place on the course of the 200 years I lived there whenever I saw the looks of suspicion at how young I always seemed and how I never age. Women asking me and priests crossing themselves whenever I passed them in the street. I fled from country to country till I ended up in France, where I had my first Quickening when I met my grandfather in an alley when I was "hunting a customer".

He recognized me somehow and took me under his wing, learning the truth after I told him the story of my life he started to teach me stuff. Reading and writing and how to act and dress like a lady. He also taught me how to fight, giving me my first sword and teaching me how to speak many languages. I could speak Arabic, English, Turkish, French, Latin, Greek and some Spanish. we both toured the world together for so many years until it was the year of 1939, when WWII broke and my grandfather had the urge to return to the military life, joining forces with the Axis and then simply vanished.

When I finally found him in some Nazi prison he was alive, but merely the shadow of his former self as the Nazi scientists had their experiments on him, I nursed him back to health and now we reside in (name of city to be determined later) as I oversee the many secret brothels I own under the coverage of one of the most successful modeling agencies in the world.

Pumpkin Seeds

So in the history, do we try to bring in other players or just leave the events broad so they can be worked into the past?

Shjade

Dang, wish I'd noticed this one a bit sooner...ah well.

Out of curiosity, are these immortals all meant to be the "basic" kind, then? None of the esoteric extra-powers type stuff that shows up in the movies with invisibility or teleporting or etc. from having so few of them left in the world having absorbed all the others? I'm assuming that was the idea since it keeps things more "balanced," but didn't remember seeing it mentioned one way or the other, so...figured I'd ask.
Theme: Make Me Feel - Janelle Monáe
◕/◕'s
Conversation is more useful than conversion.

Teo Torriatte

Pumpkin Seeds - either or, really. If people want to get together and include each other character's in their histories then you certainly could. Or you can wait and work it in later.

Shjade - you can go ahead an make a character.  :-) And to answer your question, it is based on the series so none of the powers and stuff like that. I don't even like some of the more esoteric stuff they eventually put in the series, especially the evil whatever thing that Duncan was fighting against near the end. There might be the possibility for dark quickenings, though, that was kind of cool.

Every one else who has submitted characters- they are all looking really nice!

I would like to start with a little something tomorrow night sometime, as that is my last night off before my new schedule at work and I don't yet know what my days off will be. For people not ready, take your time and just get them done when you can.

Do you guys want to start all doing your own things, or do you think I should start with an event that brings everyone to the same general location?

1SAZ

I'm currently working on a character, though I'm trying to figure out just exactly how old I want him. He won't quite be Methos old, but I wanted to go with a good amount of age so he'd have time to really travel and such. Couple of ideas I'm hammering out, so I'll have a character ready in the next couple days assuming I'm not overly distracted.

AribethAmkiir

I'd be happy to have people include my character in their character's history if anyone was interested.

Luna, I'm not sure exactly how to get the game started without some OOC discussion of setting and possibly some world building that could hook the characters and give them something to do.  Of course it is a Gathering, so it shouldn't be too difficult to bring all the characters together.

Galactic Druid

Shoot, Luna. You asked me for GM advice, but you're already doing everything right. You've even got staff interested in your game. I can help you plot events, if you like, but you've got a handle on things as it is for the moment.
A/As last updated 11/27 - Halfway past busy season!

CAO

Name: Sean Moreau

Personality: Sean Moreau is driven by a sense of duty to his family and to his heritage as an immortal. Having studied science since the time of the Enlightenment Sean seeks to unlock the mysteries of what makes some humans mortal and others not. He experienced a harrowing ordeal at the hands of the Nazis, since his rescue, he has spent most of his life quiet and secluded, with only a few occasional visitors. He is quiet and he does not say much, except to his granddaughter.

During the 1930s Sean Moreau took up smoking, he prefers to smoke Marlboro Reds, and his favorite ethnic food is Egyptian food. Which he came to appreciate because of his granddaughter.

Background:

Date of Birth: 1196

Sean was born in 1196 into a wealthy and well established family of nobility. Though his original last name he left behind when he experienced his death in 1221 during the Fourth and one of the final crusades that took place in the middle east. During this time, Sean at first attempted to live as normal a life as was possible for an immortal. He spent many years wondering if he was alone, or in fact, crazy or hallucinating.

Sean though being older was able to married and did in fact marry several times, one of those relationships produced a son he named Ambroise, he chose the name because he thought his son might take on his characteristics. However he did not, his son became a drunkard and a philanderer,  taking on many women, and many men as his lovers and consorts. Sean in order to bring order to his sons life forced him into the army, where he hoped to see a change in the man.

Ambroise spent some time in Egypt and what he did there Sean did not know for some years, and his hopes were dashed when his son returned home. Upon returning home his son immediately returned to his old ways, his sons activities caused a large rift between the two, which resulted in the son committing suicide. After going through his sons things, he learned several secrets about his son he'd never knew, one of those secrets was that he had a daughter in Egypt.

Driven by a sense of honor and duty, Sean saught out the young lady, and spent the next two hundred years attempting to track her. Coming quite close, but never quite reaching or making contact with her in time before she moved on to the next place. It did not take long for him to realize that while his son may not have taken on his traits, his daughter had and she could be quite deadly.

One night while she was out hunting, Sean having learned about his granddaughter, used a lure, to get into contact with her. It was no accident that he was in the alley. In time she would come to understand this, and he took her under his wing, but in some ways, especially her viciousness, she was quite like her Father. At times between the two of them, this could cause disagreements between the two. Despite their disagreements of the past, they always manged to work them out and Sean's sense of familial duty does not allow him to abandon his family for any reason.

The age of Enlightenment in France changed everything for Sean, realizing the world was on the cusp of technological and scientific break through he began to study mathematics and science. In order to fund his research, his granddaughter undertook to establish high class bordellos, which in the early days was not frowned upon. Sean was also able to make some wise investments around the turn of the twentieth century that also helped them, but the bulk of their income continued to be from the bordellos.

In the 1920s and 1930s Sean emigrated to Germany, feeling that despite their heavy indoctrination and commitment to racial ideology. That German science was on the cutting edge, and he joined a secret research  facility dedicated to studying the human body. Though he'd developed himself as a reputable scientist, by this time.  Sean made one grave error in judgement, he let his guard down and confided in a young woman who had fallen in love with him. It turned out she was actually a spy from a rival scientist group trying to steal his information. The tables on Sean turned, and while he'd turned a blind eye to those in the concentration camps, he became one of them. Not only was Sean subject to a litteny of scientific testing, he underwent immense torture that should have killed most mortal men.

After the war, and his rescue by his granddaughter, Sean became a shell of his former self, he shut away his scientific research and reading. He lives in one of the rooms in the top floor of one of the secret bordellos his grandfather came to own. Each night a woman is sent to sleep with him, but it's been nearly 25 years since he last had relations with one. For now occasionally, he is also visited by his granddaughter, and soon he'll be visited by an old "friend" that will allow him to recapture his self and sense of worth and start his studies again.

Teo Torriatte

RPGuy - thank you, I am sure I will be bothering you with a few questions here and there.  ;)

CAO - awesome character

And here is the OOC thread, where I would love to start discussing plot ideas and such.

https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=143027.0

Elias

Dont have time for this one pulling out, sorry!

Shjade

Hm.

Question: what is the "present" year supposed to be?

I ask as, looking at the immortal character profiles, the dates don't add up. As in, the "age" and the "born" dates. CAO's listed as 1018 years old and born in 1196, which means he's currently living in the year 2214. Azaria's 594 years old born in 1420, which puts her in 2014. Aribeth's in 2012.

Color me confused. >.>;
◕/◕'s

CAO

Well I may have done the math on that wrong, I'll try to figure it out. Since I assume that it's supposed to be present day as in 2012.

Caela

Quote from: Shjade on June 14, 2012, 10:09:00 AM
Hm.

Question: what is the "present" year supposed to be?

I ask as, looking at the immortal character profiles, the dates don't add up. As in, the "age" and the "born" dates. CAO's listed as 1018 years old and born in 1196, which means he's currently living in the year 2214. Azaria's 594 years old born in 1420, which puts her in 2014. Aribeth's in 2012.

Color me confused. >.>;

Hehehe...that's partly why I cheated and put "roughly" with my girls age and didn't give a year of birth. Also she was born to a time and people whose calendars wouldn't have jived with Europe's way of measuring the passage of time so when she gives an age it's really just her best approximation and could be off a few years in either direction. :D

Caela

Quote from: CAO on June 14, 2012, 10:51:14 AM
Well I may have done the math on that wrong, I'll try to figure it out. Since I assume that it's supposed to be present day as in 2012.

For him to be 1018 years old he'd have to be born in 994AD, OR if you want him born in 1196 he'd be, 816 years old.

Shjade

Quote from: Caela on June 14, 2012, 10:55:41 AM
Also she was born to a time and people whose calendars wouldn't have jived with Europe's way of measuring the passage of time so when she gives an age it's really just her best approximation and could be off a few years in either direction. :D

And now all I can do is picture her being paranoid about the world ending all the time because of the Mayan calendar. xD
◕/◕'s

Pumpkin Seeds

She'd probably be laughing at every end of the world poster she sees.

Caela

Quote from: Shjade on June 14, 2012, 11:45:38 AM
And now all I can do is picture her being paranoid about the world ending all the time because of the Mayan calendar. xD

lol...Actually, she'd swat you for that, she's not Mayan! Ugh and now I have this image of her in my head glaring at someone for calling her that! :P

Quote from: Pumpkin Seeds on June 14, 2012, 11:47:44 AM
She'd probably be laughing at every end of the world poster she sees.
+1, she's the sort who would get a bit of a chuckle out of anyone taking something so seriously! She'll believe it's the end of the world...the day it actually ends, and no sooner.

Pumpkin Seeds

Emmanulle will be there to share her laugh as she makes money off them.   :P

Beguile's Mistress

I'm still working on my character and hope to get him up this evening.  I think because he's been off the immortal grid for most of his existence he's pretty much the mystery man and while he doesn't have special powers he would have life skills he could use to his benefit.

Pumpkin Seeds

Azaria

taken out two years of her age, hell I was sure I did the math right but eh... it was a late night work xD

~hops into the OOC to do some brainstorming~

Shjade

BeMi, Pumpkin: either of you planning to go Greek with your characters?
◕/◕'s