The problem with MMORPGS part II

Started by Inkidu, March 19, 2009, 10:33:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oniya

I will say that the one plus I've seen to my husband's time on LotRO is that the 'monthly fee' seems to go by days that you actually log in, not calendar days.  In other words, if you go on vacation for two weeks without your computer, you haven't lost those two weeks of play time.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Inkidu

Quote from: Oniya on March 20, 2009, 09:42:01 AM
I will say that the one plus I've seen to my husband's time on LotRO is that the 'monthly fee' seems to go by days that you actually log in, not calendar days.  In other words, if you go on vacation for two weeks without your computer, you haven't lost those two weeks of play time.
I figured it was like cable. You pay for cable whether you're watching it or not.
Still, I don't like the absence of intimacy with the game.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Oniya

Well, it helps that our upstairs roommate also plays, but my husband is one of those who will go off wandering, and if he finds someone else doing a quest he needs as well, he'll help out.  Or sometimes if he finds someone having trouble with a battle, he'll do stunning or healing (he plays a minstrel - with bagpipes!) but that's just a reflection of his offline personality as well.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

HairyHeretic

Quote from: Oniya on March 20, 2009, 09:42:01 AM

That's unusual. AFAIK most work on the calander month, so my fee is the same if I play 1 hour or 100 hours.
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Oniya

All I can go by is how often he asks if we can renew (at the moment, I'm the 'bread-winner', so luxuries have to be discussed).

Serephino

I myself play Wow, and I like it for the most part.  The bloody farmers have ruined things though.  They've completely killed the economy.

Maybe I'm just weird, but I'm not obsessed with getting to 80 as fast as possible or getting the best gear.  I can't PVP to save my life...  I like relaxing and doing the quests.  I've done the same ones over and over again and it doesn't bother me.  Hey, at least I know where to go and what to do right...  As others have said, you move to different areas as you level, and each area has a story.

I don't like how most people have become so greedy though.  I've had people put loot on free for all, then when I manage to pick up something good they demand I give it to them.  Those who have played will know what I'm talking about.  Then there are those who steal loot because they need money.  When I first started playing there was a certain set of rules everyone followed.  That's all gone to hell in a handbasket. 

Serephino

Quote from: Samael on March 19, 2009, 06:28:52 PM

I dunno... In my last guild we had kids of the age of 9-12 playing the game, and they were smart and good players. I think WoW has really developed to the point where everyone can pick it up. I have fond memories of doing a quest chain with a 65 year old lady, who would tell me about her grand children while we beat up on the big Monsters.

I am so not a gamer.  I'd play Age of Empires, Sim Safari, and of course solitare.  My partner is a gamer and introduced me to Wow.  I had to figure it out and I did.  You have to find the trick to each class.  I have a killer rogue, an awesome priest, and I'm getting pretty good on a mage.