Non-canon Star Trek game - interest check

Started by RedEve, May 27, 2012, 05:09:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RedEve

This is all very vague, but I am posting this to see if there is enough support to consider starting a non-canon ST game.
I would prefer one based upon a Terran ship (though a handful of other races would be allowed as crew-members).
If this gets off the ground, I am also looking for one or two people who would be interested in GMing this with me, since I do not have the time to take on GM responsibilities by myself.
I see this as something more plot based (as opposed to pure smut), though crew members cannoodling in the privacy of their quarters will of course be allowed. :P
I am also curious to hear suggestions for a main plot line. I see this more as a scientific/discovery type vessel, not a war ship involved in some conflict.
"I don't have a dirty mind, I have a sexy imagination."
My ons and offs- My F-list

Muse

Too my great good fortune, I think I have time for this.  Please count me in, Eve! 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Hephaestus

Hey guys! I love star trek. I run a ST game live once a week. Count me in.
Plans are only good intentions unless they immediately degenerate into hard work.
~Peter Drucker~

Azaria

~raises hand~ a big fan of ST  ;D  interested and waiting to see where this goes ^^

RedEve

Okay, with a few interested parties already:

What kind of plot were you all hoping for? :)

Scribbles

Sounds like fun!

As for a main plot, you could simply leave it without one and lots of subplots. Otherwise, here are a few ideas:

1) You could snatch from the Star Trek series, like the lost in space idea. It opens up a lot of opportunity for side plots while allowing you to ignore the main plot without any real consequence.

2) You could have the crew searching for something that humanity, or someone else, desperately needs. This could be a cure for a strange disease, a device needed to kill an enemy, a missing ship, or even some other cliche.

3) You could have the crew being a plain vessel, that is slowly and unwittingly being influenced by an alien presence/device/etc. The reasons for which could be many...

I'm sure there are other ideas but that's all I've managed to come up with.
AA and OO
Current Games: Stretched Thin, Very Little Time

AndyZ

I have a hologram character already made up if I'd be allowed to reuse it.  (The game in which she was originally made died.)

Tisha - Hologram (Human appearance)

During one of the routine trades with the Ferengi, they offered over one of their holographic programs in order to sweeten a particular deal.  Some rumors circulated among the crew at the time that someone had met up with this particular girl and developed a bit of a crush, but that since her memory banks were wiped prior to the exchange, whatever affection had existed was never to be.

From what those who have researched her program have been able to piece together, she started out as a simple waitress hologram, but through extended use on a 24/7 holodeck, has developed enough sentience to understand her holographic nature, but not enough to start to question the existential matters that eventually form when holograms put serious consideration into their own existence.

She has a number of subroutines which might seem contradictory were they to run simultaneously within her program.  She has the capacity as an Emergency Medical Hologram, she can work as a bartender and counselor, and in a pinch, she possesses a Security subroutine to allow her to work as part of a security detail in an emergency.

She spends much of her time as the bartender upon the ship's lounge, but when needed in sickbay, a simple command is all that is necessary to have the computer instantly transport her and upload the Emergency Medical Hologram subroutines.

Between the extended use and multiple subroutines, a number of glitches have begun to make themselves known within her program.  For one, the original Ferengi program had followed the standard clothing practices of the species by removing all of her clothing.  Although this detail has been corrected, the occasional glitch causes her to become fully naked without warning.  Although rare, and apparently associated with deep searches within her memory banks, a significant number of the crew has already had the chance to see her.  Thankfully for her sake, her program rejected the modesty subroutines which would normally cause embarrassment.

Her personality also varies notably depending on which subroutine is currently active.  While working as a bartender, she appears more submissive, attentive and sometimes playfully flirtatious.  While acting as an Emergency Medical Hologram, sympathy shows strongly within her face, but her manner is much more professional, dedicating herself to aiding the injured.  When her Security subroutines are active, she's focused like a hawk, no-nonsense and aggressive.  Although her memories are unaffected, she does not recognize any inconsistencies within her personality unless they are specifically pointed out, which often causes some form of glitch.
It's all good, and it's all in fun.  Now get in the pit and try to love someone.

Ons/Offs   -  My schedule and A/As   -    My Avatars

If I've owed you a post for at least a week, poke me.

RedEve

AndyZ, the suitability of your character depends upon the location of our game. If it's on a DS9 type space station, she could fit in. But she would not be suitable for an "Enterprise" type ship.

Brandon

Sounds interesting, Ive never done a freeform star trek game.

As for plot I think it depends on the ships mission. It could just be an exploratory/research vessel on the rim of federation space and if thats the case the game could be run in more of an episodic feel. If that makes any sense.
Brandon: What makes him tick? - My on's and off's - My open games thread - My Away Thread
Limits: I do not, under any circumstances play out scenes involving M/M, non-con, or toilet play

RedEve

Quote from: Brandon on May 27, 2012, 10:27:48 AM
Sounds interesting, Ive never done a freeform star trek game.

As for plot I think it depends on the ships mission. It could just be an exploratory/research vessel on the rim of federation space and if thats the case the game could be run in more of an episodic feel. If that makes any sense.

Could you elaborate as to what you mean by that?

Brandon

Well take the various star trek shows. There was usually a long running plot, like with the original and next generation they were pretty much explorers, diplomats, and military personel protecting the federation. In voyager they got trapped in the gamma quadrant and had to make their way back.

During these long standing missions something would happen forming an episode. For example in next generation there were several episodes where the ship had to forge a peace between two races. First contacts were another kind of episode that happened a lot.

Does that make more sense?
Brandon: What makes him tick? - My on's and off's - My open games thread - My Away Thread
Limits: I do not, under any circumstances play out scenes involving M/M, non-con, or toilet play

RedEve

Oh you  mean that there would be one overarching plot and then several smaller plot-lines that are resolved much quicker?

Brandon

Yeah, something like that. It would give pretty much anyone the chance to tell a star trek themed story

AndyZ

Quote from: RedEve on May 27, 2012, 10:24:02 AM
AndyZ, the suitability of your character depends upon the location of our game. If it's on a DS9 type space station, she could fit in. But she would not be suitable for an "Enterprise" type ship.

Depends on the tech level.  If we're at the point where holograms can be generated throughout the ship, she can work.  If it's pre-holograms, then yeah, I'll have to think of something else.
It's all good, and it's all in fun.  Now get in the pit and try to love someone.

Ons/Offs   -  My schedule and A/As   -    My Avatars

If I've owed you a post for at least a week, poke me.

Cold Heritage

I think it could be interesting to set the game post-DS9 and have the ship be an exploratory/science vessel exploring the Gamma Quadrant. With peace with the Dominion established our ship could go largely unmolested by hostile forces and go around with the blessing of the Gamma Quadrant's only superpower to do star mapping, examine anomalies, catalog phenomena unique to the Gamma Quadrant, encounter treknobabble one-off problems that muck with time and space that are solved by inverting mumble mumble tachyons mumble mumble deflector.

I think we would also have a fair bit of freedom in terms of what we would encounter and discover; it would be an almost entirely undiscovered sector of space for the Federation. There is also some plot fodder in the difficulty of the mission, owing to a lack of Federation presence in the Gamma Quadrant.
Thank you, fellow Elliquiyan, and have a wonderful day.

Scribbles

Quote from: Cold Heritage on May 27, 2012, 03:27:51 PMEncounter treknobabble one-off problems that muck with time and space that are solved by inverting mumble mumble tachyons mumble mumble deflector.

Cold Heritage for Science Officer!  :P

Actually, this brings about a good question, how strict is the game going to be with knowledge on Star Trek? Can anyone join or only those with a strong grasp of the setting?

Also, will there be a system of any sort?
AA and OO
Current Games: Stretched Thin, Very Little Time

RedEve

It'll be a freeform game. I would say that a modest knowledge of the universe should be enough.

summoner2183

This should be interesting... count me in.

RedEve

Cold Heritage's suggestion for a setting appeals most to me.

So this roleplay will revolve about an exploratory ship on a mission of discovery and scientific research in the Gamma Quadrant.
Keep this in mind when you put together a CS. Use the template below.

[float=right][img width=300 padding=15](insert image link here)[/img][/float]
[b]Name:[/b]
[b]Age:[/b]
[b]Race:[/b] (human or other)
[b]Role/Rank:[/b]
[b]Personality:[/b]
[b]Background:[/b]

I will allow non-human characters but I would prefer it if the majority of the crew was human.

Some suggestion for ranks/roles:

Commanding Officer
Executive Officer
Chief Engineering Officer
Chief Tactical Officer
Chief Science Officer
Chief Medical Officer
Chief Counselor
Civilian attached to the mission

Not all of these necessarily have to be filled, and if someone is more comfortable playing a subordinate to one of the above roles, that is fine too.

NatalieB

RedEve

Quote from: NatalieB on May 28, 2012, 03:34:43 AM
Do you need a Federation Diplomat?

That would work too, my list of possible roles was not meant to be exhaustive. :)

NatalieB

RedEve

Name: Lana Derval
Race: Human
Role/Rank: Chief Tactical Officer (lieutenant)
Personality: Mild-mannered, patient, perfectionist, strict
Background: Lana was born and raised in San Francisco. Her father was a doctor, her mother was in the military. She took an interest in both of her parents trades, but dreams of exploring the galaxy made her sign up for Starfleet. After serving on a Starfleet Heavy Cruiser during the Dominion Wars, she applied for the position of Chief Tactical Officer on the mission into the Gamma Quadrant. Thanks to her experience in the wars, she was considered for and eventually awarded with the commission.

Muse

A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

RedEve