Olduiin's Demise

Started by Zad, May 11, 2012, 07:02:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zad

His spirit had left his aged body, finally at peace after years of disability, questioning and scrutiny. Gavinrad Kenaado was dead. Burned upon a bed of twigs and leaves, wrapped in a ceremonial robe of a champion, sword laid atop his torso. The flames licked the air, smoke and ash entertwining in the skies above the young boy sitting closest to the warm flames.

Dinu was a young man, athletic in his build, yet flexible in his demeanour. His black hair was long and unkempt, with small ties dangling from the ends. Dinu watched as his teacher burned, his best friend melt, and father be incinerated, and felt the tears flow down his dirt-covered face.

'I'll keep your memory strong, Gavinrad,' Dinu whispered, now the last person watching the hero burn. Slowly, he rose to his feet, and threw a rose onto the burning man, then turned and walked towards the tavern.

People looked at him from the windows of their homes, sadness and sympathy etched on their faces. How could they possibly begin to understand his pain? No one gave the old man the time of day except the young man walking along the cobblestone path. Dinu saw the tavern, and a young woman was leaning against the wall outside the door.

Snowangel

“Ah finally a hot meal,” Mino-wa exclaimed to her long time traveling companion while tossing him a biscuit. Grave made an appreciative noise as he finished off his snack. Grave and Mino-wa have traveled together ever since she found him as a pup. Feeling kinship to the pup because, just like her, he was alone in the world. Now it was six years later and they were on their way to the biggest payday they of their lives. Sitting in moderately clean tavern with a full belly Mino-wa contemplated her next step in finding the Dragon’s lair.
If you were the winter, I know I'd be the snow
Just as long as you were with me, when the cold winds blow.

Oath of the Drake
O/O's

Push the button!!!

Zad

Dinu walked past the girl. She had pointed ears, but not as long as an elf, with violet eyes and a dog beside her. She was beautiful, but Dinu had no time to "sightsee".
'Good morning,' Dinu said to her, his voice breaking as he walked in, wiping the tears from his eyes. He pushed the door open, and walked into the musty inn, filled with smoke and the scent of hops from mugs of beer.

'You a'ight?' Tom asked him from behind the bar
'Fine,' Dinu said, sitting on the stool, 'just trying to find someone who'll help me'
'Do wha'?'
'Kill Olduiin,' Duni said simply, smiling at the shocked expression on Tom's face

Snowangel

Mino-wa slightly stiffened when the disgruntled man say Good morning to her. She always made it a point to remain invisible but the warm food had made her relax. She didn’t say anything but her eyes followed him to the bar stool that he perched on. She was about to make her exit when she heard him tell the barkeep that he was looking to find someone to help kill the Dragon she was looking for.

“Excuse me but did I hear you say you were looking for someone to help you kill Olduiin? She asked while she sized him up.
He didn’t look half bad. For a human.

Oath of the Drake
O/O's

Push the button!!!

Zad

Dinu's bloodshot eyes met the woman's violet, and he nodded as Tom placed a tan bottle in front of Dinu. Dinu quickly grasped it, took a swig of the sweet tasting sarsaparilla bubbling in the bottle, and sighed in relief.
'Yes, I plan to kill Olduiin, as a gift to my fallen teacher. You might have heard of Gavinrad Kenaado?'
Dinu took another drink, and continued.
'I want to kill Olduiin, but I'm willing to let anyone who helps me take his treasure'

Snowangel

Ha what a joke! Mino-wa thought to herself as she looked into his blood shot eyes. Did this punny human really think he could take on a Dragon as great as Olduiin? And what was that about letting her ‘Take his treasure.’ He would be lucky to leave here with his coin purse. Ha like he could let her do anything. Humans so disgusting but if he knows where the lair is he could be of some use yet. “And where do you suppose we find this Olduiin? She asked him while she sat herself next to him at the bar but not before she smoothed her hair down over her ears.

Oath of the Drake
O/O's

Push the button!!!

Zad

Dinu could see the malice in her eyes, and hate that burned in her heart. He knew what she was thinking, even if he couldn't hear it. Olduiin would win.
'Fine, we'll walk to the human kingdom of Faust,' Dinu started, drawing on the bar, 'then take a cart to the crusader city of Pegg. Then go to Cassiel, and gain supplies at the elven capital of Fortunae, hopefully gain a few allies. Avoid the underground entrance to the dark elven prison of Jiresh, then move though the burning land of Enfernos until we reach Ivory mountain. Climbing there, we'll face Olduiin and kill him, you'll get his treasure, I'll rip his teeth out, and we'll come back here for a well-earned alcoholic drink'
Dinu took a large breath, and waited for her to respond

Snowangel

Could she trust this human? He could be lying about this whole thing just so he could get her out to the middle of nowhere and go all crazy on her. If, and that was a big IF, he really knew where the lair was it would save her a whole lot of time and coin. The question is, is she willing to risk it?
How do I know you're telling the truth?” She asked him while studying his face for any trace of a lie.

Oath of the Drake
O/O's

Push the button!!!

Zad

Dinu looked into her eyes, his chocolate brown orbs full of sadness.
'Look at this,' he muttered, and pulled his sword out, placing it on the bar. On the blade was a message, from Gavinrad to Dinu on his 18th birthday.
Truth, love and sacrifice guide youe hand
'I don't lie. I am Dinu Faransai, student of Gavinrad Kenaado. I will kill Olduiin, even if I die fighting him'

Snowangel

“Well,” She sighed looking him over one more time. “I guess this makes us partners,” Mino-wa said knowing full well that this was a bad ideal. In his defense he really did look too pathetic to double cross her but she more than most knows that looks can be deceiving. Slapping the money for her meal down on the bar, she walked out with Grave at her heels.

Oath of the Drake
O/O's

Push the button!!!

Zad

Dinu nodded at Tom, who smiled his toothless grin.
'Good luck, Dinu,' he said, and raised the glass he was washing in respect.

Dinu walked outside, and smiled.
'So, what can you do, may I ask? And what is your name?'
Dinu sheathed his sword, and breathed in quietly. He knew siding with a elf was a bad idea, but he also knew that if he needed anyone to get through elven lands, it was her. But he couldn't help but think there was something... different about her.

Snowangel

Sighing to herself she answered somewhat curtly, “I’m silent, something you obviously lack.” Giving him a pointed look she continued, “My name is Mino-wa but in an effort not to stress your mind you may call me Mino.” “This,” She said gesturing to her dog, “is Grave. Don’t pet him.” Untying her horse from its post she mounted it and said “Any more question?” Her tone was not inviting.

Oath of the Drake
O/O's

Push the button!!!

Zad

Dinu smiled at her hostile approach, almost reminding him of his own sister, Rose. He caught himself glancing down at his feet, then staring at the sky.
'Grave is a nice name. But so is Fyre'
With that, Dinu let out a shrill whistle that rang through the sky with ear-splitting shrillness. Dinu smiled.

Snowangel

Oh gods he has a dog. "You behave," She told Grave. Grave like herself is not know for his friendliness. "If I have to break up a fight," She let the sentence trail off know full well he knew what she meant. Grave acted as if she hand not spoken and waited quietly for the new addition to their group. 

Oath of the Drake
O/O's

Push the button!!!

Zad

The sky above them darkened as a shadow loomed over the two adventurers. Dinu looked up, and saw his friend arrive.
A proud beast landed, talons scratching the dirt as she landed. Blood red feathers with tan patterns swirling around her crest. Easily, the large bird stood a good 3 metres tall, with stunning amber eyes and a shocking yellow beak. She bowed her head, and Dinu lovingly patted her.
'This is Fyre,' he said, smiing at her, 'behave'

Snowangel

“What in the seven hells is that,” She asked visibly paler as she tried to calm her horse. Even Grave took a few steps back when the bird landed but trying to save face he began a low warning growl. Maybe there is more to this human than she originally thought.

Oath of the Drake
O/O's

Push the button!!!

Zad

Dinu grinned, aware that he had made his new companion pale at the sight of Fyre.
'This is my dearest friend, now. Her name is Fyre, and she is a cliff bird, one of the most dangerous beasts in this land. Irkallan cliff birds are rarely friendly, but... they like me. Especially Fyre'
Fyre screeched in agreement, and allowed Dinu to pat her once again, before he turned to Mino-wa.
'Would you like to ask around for more allies? Or continue to Faust? I'm afraid your horse cannot join us on Fyre's back'

Snowangel

Ha did he really think that she would ride that beast. “I should think not,” she said eyeing the bird. “My horse and I will be strictly staying on the land and on ship if we must.” Grave barked his agreement never talking his eyes off the dangerous predator. “I’m sure there will be more willing to join our quest in Faust so let us be off.” 

Oath of the Drake
O/O's

Push the button!!!

Zad

Dinu grabbed Mino's wrist, earning him a bark from Grave. He stared into her eyes.
'Ships are not a good idea. Not with the dwarves invading Irkalla. We need to use Fyre, or you'll die before reaching Faust'
Dinu hoped she'd reconsider, so he decided to sweeten the deal.
'Fyre can carry your horse, but it will have to be in a cage'

Snowangel

How dare he touch me! She thought indignantly as she tried to pull her wrist out of his grasp with no avail. She knew eye must be glowing with her rage but she didn’t care as long as his hands were on her she was determined to be angry. She chalked the flutter of her heart up to the fact that if she weren’t on her horse she would have stabbed him with her hidden dagger.
“The dwarves have never had a problem with my kind,” Which she knew was an exaggeration but she would say anything to get out of riding that bird. 

Oath of the Drake
O/O's

Push the button!!!

Zad

'The dwarves left Cassiel a long time ago, Mino-wa. They have no allies, and won't give you a special offer while you're here. It's either Fyre, or you're not coming'
Dinu said this with such fire that his eyes radiated power. He wasn't going to argue anymore. He let go of her slender wrist, and climbed onto Fyre's back.
'I'm not waiting, so hurry up and make a choice'

Snowangel

DAMN HIM!! She screamed in her head. I should just forget about this silly man and his silly bird and find that lair by myself! She was about to snap the reins and leave when a thought popped into her head. Am I really that scared to ride a stupid bird? How could this human do something that she could not? She knew that by the grip on her wrist he was likely to be stronger than her but to be out willed by him was something she could not fathom.

“All right but where will Grave sit,” She asked him as she gutted out her chin in defiance.

Oath of the Drake
O/O's

Push the button!!!

Zad

Dinu thought about this, then looked down at Mino-wa seriously.
'There's enough space up here for seven of us. Tie him down, Fyre will hold the ropes'
Fyre made a sound that sounded like a laugh. Dinu tapped Fyre's skull, and she stopped.
'I said behave,' Dinu whispered

Snowangel

Of heaven have mercy. This was not going to end well. Mino-wa sold her horse to the tavern owner for an extraordinary low price. After a half an hour of begging and pleading along with bites and scratch marks, Mino-wa got Grave on Fyre. Now that it was her turn her courage along with her anger began to fade being replaced by mind numbing fear.

Oath of the Drake
O/O's

Push the button!!!

Zad

Diu had narrowly dodged Grave's flailing, but Mino was not so lucky. He felt sorry as he saw the tiny trickles of blood on her scratches.
'Luckily, we won't be flying for long. Faust is about a forty minute flight'
Dinu was about to tell Fyre to take to the skies, then stopped himself, and turned to the elf behind him.
'We'll be moving through the sky at a very faast pace. You may want to hold on to something a little less easy to pull out'
He had mainly said this because of a memory. He shook it out of his mind, and smiled.