(Final Fantasy VIII) Balamb Garden: Relaunch Recruitment Open

Started by Fenrir, March 10, 2015, 02:09:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Acula

Quote from: AndyZ on March 11, 2015, 01:18:02 PM
How about I give up Seraph that I was originally going to put on my new character?  Would you like Seraph?

That's very nice of you! No worries though, I created an original GF based on Chinese mythology. If that doesn't work I might take you up on your offer though!

And on that note, I've edited my character profile. Please let me know if there is anything else that needs tweaking!

AndyZ

I'll switch over just in case it doesn't work out for you.  ^_^
It's all good, and it's all in fun.  Now get in the pit and try to love someone.

Ons/Offs   -  My schedule and A/As   -    My Avatars

If I've owed you a post for at least a week, poke me.

Revenent

Quote from: Miyaluca on March 11, 2015, 01:34:35 PM
That's very nice of you! No worries though, I created an original GF based on Chinese mythology. If that doesn't work I might take you up on your offer though!

And on that note, I've edited my character profile. Please let me know if there is anything else that needs tweaking!

Everything looks good to me now. I'd say your approved, though I think you still have to wait on Fen's ultimate approval? Not sure how she meant this to work.

Fenrir

Quote from: Revenent on March 11, 2015, 01:59:29 PM
Everything looks good to me now. I'd say your approved, though I think you still have to wait on Fen's ultimate approval? Not sure how she meant this to work.

I sent you a PM about how I would like for it to work! 

But, him and I can work that out between ourselves later and I don't want to keep you waiting!  I have one comment on her limit break:  I would suggest having a little more clarification honestly.  It instantly tries to freeze enemies- is this a complete freeze (kind of equaling to stop) or would it just effect their speed by being cold (like a slow)?  Also I would say the frost lasts two rounds (for two attempts) unless they were in an extremely warm climate (like where Ifirit lives!). I would say pick one of those for a bit of clarification on her limit break annnnnd then I would say she is approved as well and you can post her in the Accepted Character Sheets after you add it in.

Wants and Won'ts --  (updated 02/20)  |  Ideas and Inventions (open!)
Current CreationsApologies and Absences  -- (updated 04/26)

Acula

Quote from: Fenrir on March 11, 2015, 02:30:10 PM
I sent you a PM about how I would like for it to work! 

But, him and I can work that out between ourselves later and I don't want to keep you waiting!  I have one comment on her limit break:  I would suggest having a little more clarification honestly.  It instantly tries to freeze enemies- is this a complete freeze (kind of equaling to stop) or would it just effect their speed by being cold (like a slow)?  Also I would say the frost lasts two rounds (for two attempts) unless they were in an extremely warm climate (like where Ifirit lives!). I would say pick one of those for a bit of clarification on her limit break annnnnd then I would say she is approved as well and you can post her in the Accepted Character Sheets after you add it in.

Hurray for approval! I'll go clarify her limit break - I was afraid of making her overpowered so I kept it a little vague. I'll change that now, then post in the Accepted Character Sheets. :D

Fenrir

Quote from: Miyaluca on March 11, 2015, 02:32:27 PM
Hurray for approval! I'll go clarify her limit break - I was afraid of making her overpowered so I kept it a little vague. I'll change that now, then post in the Accepted Character Sheets. :D

I appreciate the concern.  I would rather players worry about being too overpowered than having to make them pull back being too powerful.  Honestly, there are stronger limit breaks in the game but I like this one: in my mind it does initial damage (with the weapon) extra damage (with the frost) and then it would have the effect of slow or stop.  So it's far from useless and can be extremely handy in a hard situation.

Wants and Won'ts --  (updated 02/20)  |  Ideas and Inventions (open!)
Current CreationsApologies and Absences  -- (updated 04/26)

Green Goo Theory

I haven't had a chance yet to peak through all the approved characters yet but I was just curious.  How are self-buffing and/or transformation style limit breaks treated?  I know they really aren't in the vein of usual FFVIII limit breaks but they aren't really unheard of for the franchise. 

Just wanted to know before I moved on to the rest of character creation. 
Coming soon...

DarkNevaeh

Limit Breaks vary from person to person.  Having a self heal/buff as a Limit Break, considering that you are near death, could be a cool idea.  Maybe something like a Limit that casts Wall and Shell which halves damage from physical and Magical damage for a few rounds?

Just an idea.

AndyZ

CHARACTER APPLICATION
Name: Zedd Hallister
Enrollment Age: 6

Weapon: Zedd has some basic training in martial arts, but doesn't otherwise carry a weapon.
Specialization: Black Magic
Current Ranking: Candidate
Victory Motto: You just didn't want it badly enough.
Limit Break: Tricast Limit Break Description: Mixing the powers of fire, ice and lightning, Zedd creates a coruscating wave of energy sure to cause all kinds of destruction to anything it hits.

Personality: Zedd usually comes off as friendly but intelligent and focused.  When things go well, he exudes a warm confidence that he tries to pass on to others.

Backstory: Zedd's first memories are at Trabia Garden.  He keeps a journal but rarely looks through it, as attempting to read through the past always feels alien to him, as if someone else had the various concerns and childish worries written therein.

The idea of magic in particular has always fascinated him.  Why spend years learning how to use a gun or sword when you can call forth a whirlwind to obliterate your enemies?  For that matter, why learn how to confuse or petrify them when you can simply destroy them with eldritch power?

In his youth, that quest for power drove him to perpetual practice, but into his adolescence, the road of isolation so common to SeeDs concerned his instructors.  He was given Lakshmi, a holy GF who inspired more of a sense of compassion within his heart.  Although he didn't really develop any major interest in White Magic, he could still use Lakshmi to help when his friends were hurt.

As he got further through his Candidacy, it became apparent that he was likely SeeD material, and he was transferred to Balamb Garden to see if he could properly qualify.  He still has a road ahead of him as well as brand new friends to make, but he expects to put forth that effort with the same zeal that has helped him to master darker magics.

GF APPLICATION
Name: Lakshmi
Established Connection:  Zedd has had Lakshmi for a few years now.  In many ways, she provides a sort of moral compass to him, keeping him from simply abusing his abilities or letting his power go too far to his head.
Element: Holy
Description

Bonus: Energetic.  Zedd always seems to have enough stamina, whether only needing to sleep for four hours a night, able to call up enough power to keep casting spells without easily wearing himself out, or just being ready for another sexual romp.  He can remain conscious to keep casting even when his body is in broken ruins. 

Zedd claims that she also influences luck in small ways, giving him minor bits of good fortune, but it's difficult to tell how much of that is in his head.
Special Attack: Alluring Embrace Special Attack Description: As Lakshmi appears, her warmth and beauty suffuses those who have earned the care and respect of her wielder, healing them of damage.

Character Journal
Just when I was really starting to get used to this place and think of it as a home, I have to leave for another Garden.  Well, I guess it's just as well.  There's a lot of SeeD candidates out there, and it'll help to know as many as I can.

So far, I have to admit that I'm not very impressed.  Someone killed the Headmaster here?  Headmaster Rayco is too tough to be taken out so easily, and she's blind.  I can't imagine why they'd put someone in charge who couldn't defend themselves, but maybe I'll find out.

I've been warned about a few of the classmates.  Alyssa Deftrix is an ice queen: steer clear.  Lalo Kesko is the Garden's communal GF: everyone gets to Junction her.  One of the nurses really likes lollipops, but I don't think that was a euphemism.  The Disciplinary Committee is needlessly strict.

Big party tonight.  Hopefully I'll get the chance to meet some ladies.
It's all good, and it's all in fun.  Now get in the pit and try to love someone.

Revenent

AndyZ

Lockepick

TAKEN
The Balamb Fourth is looking for its third founding member

I'm trying to start a little project here in the game, so I got permission to put this advertisement out in hopes that somebody that was looking to join this game, or make a new character, might take interest. I should be clear that this isn't first come, first serve -- nobody is guaranteed anything here, and I will try to be as honest and forthcoming as possible with the process so nobody wastes any effort building towards something if we find a stronger compatibility with another character.

What is the 'Balamb Fourth?'

The 'Balamb Fourth' is a working name for what hopes to be an Elite Squad of SeeDs. Traditionally SeeDs work alone, but Balamb Garden (through acting Headmaster Ballari) has an interest in testing out a Squad -- and the Balamb Fourth would be that test. The three characters would be Candidates brought together In Character, within the current timeline of the game. They would work to graduate and become SeeDs, and then from there, work to establish a high Ranking and reputation. The Squad is designed to be an efficient and self sufficient unit; three people that know how to work off each other's strengths and weaknesses to handle anything that gets thrown at them. We want to be the Squad that's known for getting the job done at any cost.

While attaining SeeD status and evolving their SeeD rank is a priority of the group, we also welcome any personal plots or personal goals that the Squad can assist with. If one member of the Squad succeeds -- we all succeed.

It should also be noted that very little about the Squad is set in stone until we have that third member and their input. Even the name I listed is up for debate, it's just a placeholder! There is a base plot already in the works on how the Squad is brought together, but only in the most broad sense, and I'm sure that could also be adjusted if need be!

Who is the 'Balamb Fourth?'

The current two founding members are: Bastian Durant played by myself, and Velten Gregor played by Renegade Vile.

To save you from having to read the entire profiles in just a cursory glance: Bastian is focused on Support via Grey/White Magic; where Velten is a Close Combat Tank/Shocktrooper.

What are we looking for in a third founding member?

Assuming you're already interested in the major goals of the Squad, the two next most important things we need in our third founding member are: Specialization and Personality.
- Specialization: In our effort to be self-sufficient and efficient, it is the most appealing for us to have a spread of specializations. Based on where Bastian and Velten fall, we are looking for somebody focused in -- Mid/Long Range Combat, Black Magic, or Both.
- Personality: We're looking for a third that upholds the major traits of the Squad, somebody who is -- Tenacious, Professional, and Self-Motivated.

As long as somebody can identify with those details listed -- the rest is pretty open. We don't believe that the third character needs total cohesion with our two characters -- we're three people brought together by a goal, not triplets separated at birth or clones. Both of us are comfortable with conflict within the team, but want to ensure those conflicts are not so major that they are irreconcilable. Even the term 'Professional' refers to during the job -- your character can smoke crack off the clock, as long as he doesn't show up for a mission high or strung out, or we need to constantly worry about him running from his post to score crack during the job.

Lastly: we want somebody invested and excited for the project! Like I mentioned before -- very little of this idea is set in stone because we're waiting for the third founding member to be involved in the discussion.

What does the 'Balamb Fourth' offer you?

It offers guaranteed allies in game and a base PC-driven plot that will hopefully get the attention of the GMs. Neither of us are GMs, and we can not guarantee anything in regards to that. All I can say is that the GM is aware of this plan, and approves of it -- so we have Fenrir's blessing. Allies means you've got people to help you out with your personal plot without trying to fight you for the spotlight, and it means you've got other people's personal plots that you can tag along with and be involved in.

Interested?
Contact Lockepick and Renegade Vile and let us know what you're thinking! We encourage any discussion on the topic, even if it doesn't come with a full character sheet. Feel free to ask any more clarifying questions that I didn't address. If we do get multiple hits on this, we will do our best to be honest with all candidates as to not string anybody along. It's our goal to keep the search going for a week before we move to an alternative option -- though we don't need your character finished/approved within that time frame if we've discussed.

Thank you for reading, and we hope to hear from you!
Like what you see? I am currently looking for new plots!

Detailed List of O/Os and Plot Seeds

All of my image links were previously photobucket and broken -- I'm fixing them as I use the avatars again, or for current games. Please let me know if there is something that needs updating!

TheHangedOne

This has captivated my interest. I'll spend some time today working on a black mage.
A&A's and O&O's *Status: Here and there | Games: Aiming for punctuality*
"In prosperity, our friends know us; in adversity, we know our friends."
"In the ocean of knowledge, only those who want to learn will see the land."
"Before you roar, please take a deep breath."
Check out my poet tree!

TheHangedOne

CHARACTER APPLICATION
Name: Feardorcha "Mah" Mahzun
Enrollment Age: 5

Weapon: Battle Staff Weapon Description: A six foot long staff, made of lacquered hardwood. It has been reinforced with metal bands, and end caps, making it not only more durable, and heavier, but giving it some extra 'oomph' when hitting creatures.
Specialization:
Black Magic: Feardorcha has always had a natural talent for utilizing magic, but he truly excels with the destructive school of black magic.
Bookworm: When it comes to studying, Feardorcha works best with books. Not only is he an adept speed reader with excellent retention, but he's become quite accustomed to navigating through libraries and appendixes.
Victory Motto: We can learn something from this.
Limit Break: Obscure Limit Break Description: When the going gets tough, and it seems like he's going to falter and fall, Feardorcha has a special spell that he can utilize. Obscure attacks all hostiles around him; it is a Dark-element magic attack, which also has a high chance of inflicting blind.

Personality: Quiet and contemplative, Feardorcha, when not found in the library, can often be found meditating. He is mature, and though he has an almost lackadaisical way of moving around the garden, he always seems to be punctual. That apparent laziness fades out on the field, and he moves at a fairly brisk pace (for a mage, at any rate; he won't be winning any races any time soon).

Backstory: His parents were killed in a monster attack, and Feardorcha wound up in the Garden system as an orphan. As such, he had a rough time of it in his first few years, often finding solace in make believe stories and his own daydreams.

But, time is constantly flowing, constantly changing; changing those who are trapped in its current. As time went on, and he matured, the fantasy and science fiction novels were replaced with treatises and grimoires. As he grew older, and began to take on the tougher classes, he found a natural aptitude for magic, which he has since fully embraced and dedicated himself towards. He is an eager learner, and this has helped him to excel in his chosen field. However, he does lag behind on the more physical aspects of his training; all that time sitting around and reading is not conducive to developing muscles and the like.

For his birthday when he was 16, he decided to get a tattoo done, as he had seen others with tattoos, and thought they were cool. Of course, he decided to get one that made sense to him, that appealed to him, that held significance. What he eventually settled on was a third eye tat on his forehead. He actually enjoyed the process of it, and became somewhat addicted to it. Flash forward a year later, and there are many more tattoos on him. Old sayings in archaic languages, magical diagrams; there is a wide variety of esoteric art adorning his skin. Perhaps a bit obsessive, he fully intends to cover what parts of him are currently bare with more ink, the moment he has the money to afford it.

It is his personal belief that the diagrams inked on his flesh enhance his magical powers, however, no one has been able to confirm if this is the case or not, and it may very well be a psychosomatic condition.
Appearance

GF APPLICATION
Name: Punkin
Established Connection:  Punkin and Feardorcha have been junctioned together for only a few months now. The two met while Feardorcha was out practicing his spells out on the island of Balamb. Being a mischievous and playful creature, she challenged him to a gamble; if he lost, he had to serve her, and if he won, she had to serve him. He agreed to this, and they had a battle of wits; riddles. Best 3 out of 5. It was narrow, but he managed to barely outfox the Faerie, and, being a good sport, she became his Guardian Force. They usually get along, but some times, she gets antsy with how 'boring' he can be.
Element: Wind
Description:
Appearance

Bonus:  Confusion Guard (not likely to be confused), Charm Guard (not likely to be charmed)
Special Attack: Dust Storm Special Attack Description: An exhalation of magically produced pollen is sent flying in a solid wave towards all present enemies. while the wind itself does little damage on its own, the pollen has a tendency to put people to sleep. 

Character Journal
Nothing here yet.
A&A's and O&O's *Status: Here and there | Games: Aiming for punctuality*
"In prosperity, our friends know us; in adversity, we know our friends."
"In the ocean of knowledge, only those who want to learn will see the land."
"Before you roar, please take a deep breath."
Check out my poet tree!

Silk

CHARACTER APPLICATION
Name: Alexis Valeth
Enrollment Age: 12

Weapon: Last Resort
Weapon Description: The Last Resort is a military grade stun rod that Alexis keeps back as a emergency weapon if she is forced into an engagement, however she much prefers to not be caught in a situation where she has to use it. The Stun rod has little offensive power but it is designed to either incapacitate enemies or hamper their ability to fight. (Low damage but additional effects: Chance to stun/Paralyze)
Specialization: Primarily: Operations (Non combat support role) Secondary: Combat manipulation (Buffing and debuffing, but little combat power)
Victory Motto: I don't leave nothing to chance!
Limit Break: Tabula Rasa
Limit Break Description:
Tabula Rasa has no effect on Alexis. Other members of Alexis's party combat capabilities are enhanced for a short time. (As if under the effects of Haste, Double and Triple)

Personality: Alexis is very determined to complete her task so she may not be a failure to her family's legacy of military. Although she is known to have a bit of a rebellious streak she still considers what people tell her, she just prefers to achieve it in her own way. After some unfortunate circumstances as a result of her GF she has become somewhat reserved, however she will not let her feelings get in the way of her duty as a SeeD candidate.

Backstory: Alexis comes from a family legacy of military individuals, her parents from a young age were rebels fighting to liberate Timber, after the sorceress wars her parents joined a militia to defend Timber and Alexis was expected to follow in their footsteps, however after hearing of the daring tales of SeeD during the occupation, Alexis left home against her parent's consent to join Garden to become a SeeD. Believing that SeeD protect everyone around the world, not just some city. Due to her lack of physical capability she was relegated to a support role, initially she was not very capable however after she was gifted the Succubus GF by the Garden her ability to perform improved immensely. However she found that she often suffered unwanted solicitation's by her peers, leaving her to seek solace in isolation when she is not on duty as she does not wish to leave succubus behind, although the whispers of Succubus might be playing a part in this.

Appearance:
Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide

GF APPLICATION

Name: Succubus
Established Connection:  Three years approximately, Succubus has a bit of a horrible habit of whispering to Alexis even when she is not summoned.
Element: Dark
Description:
Bonus:  "Allure" Alexis has a unnatural aura of attraction making her appear more appealing and beautiful than she normally is. Battle effect: Less likely to be the target of attacks.
Special Attack: Charming Manipulation Special Attack Description: Affects all enemies. Succubus appears to the enemy and charms them, causing them to potentially attack their allies as her supernatural charms affect their judgment.

Character Journal
Due to the bonus of Succubus, there is often a unnatural allure to Alexis that might perk "interest" from others.

kckolbe

Silk, I really like how you play up the RP negatives of such a GF's affects.  Looking forward to being one of the people she doesn't look forward to seeing.  ~grins~
Ons/Offs  A/A  Oath of the Drake
(From the Penis Game) Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Penis
I love a wet nymph.  "Letting some guy have [her] just to have another woman is a losing trade"

Buffy: The Vampire Slayer(IC#2)
Intro Thread

Revenent

Quote from: Silk on March 12, 2015, 07:23:53 PM
CHARACTER APPLICATION
Name: Alexis Valeth
Enrollment Age: 12

Weapon: Last Resort
Weapon Description: The Last Resort is a military grade stun rod that Alexis keeps back as a emergency weapon if she is forced into an engagement, however she much prefers to not be caught in a situation where she has to use it. The Stun rod has little offensive power but it is designed to either incapacitate enemies.
Specialization: Primarily: Operations (Non combat support role) Secondary: Combat manipulation (Buffing and debuffing, but little combat power)
Victory Motto: I don't leave nothing to chance!
Limit Break: Tabula Rasa
Limit Break Description:
Tabula Rasa has no effect on Alexis. Other members of Alexis's party combat capabilities are enhanced for a short time. (As if under the effects of Haste, Double and Triple)

Personality: Alexis is very determined to complete her task so she may not be a failure to her family's legacy of military. Although she is known to have a bit of a rebellious streak she still considers what people tell her, she just prefers to achieve it in her own way. After some unfortunate circumstances as a result of her GF she has become somewhat reserved, however she will not let her feelings get in the way of her duty as a SeeD candidate.

Backstory: Alexis comes from a family legacy of military individuals, her parents from a young age were rebels fighting to liberate Timber, after the sorceress wars her parents joined a militia to defend Timber and Alexis was expected to follow in their footsteps, however after hearing of the daring tales of SeeD during the occupation, Alexis left home against her parent's consent to join Garden to become a SeeD. Believing that SeeD protect everyone around the world, not just some city. Due to her lack of physical capability she was relegated to a support role, initially she was not very capable however after she was gifted the Succubus GF by the Garden her ability to perform improved immensely. However she found that she often suffered unwanted solicitation's by her peers, leaving her to seek solace in isolation when she is not on duty as she does not wish to leave succubus behind, although the whispers of Succubus might be playing a part in this.

Appearance:

GF APPLICATION
Name: Succubus
Established Connection:  Three years approximately, Succubus has a bit of a horrible habit of whispering to Alexis even when she is not summoned.
Element: Dark
Description:
Bonus:  "Allure" Alexis has a unnatural aura of attraction making her appear more appealing and beautiful than she normally is. Battle effect: Less likely to be the target of attacks.
Special Attack: Charming Manipulation Special Attack Description: Affects all enemies. Succubus appears to the enemy and charms them, causing them to potentially attack their allies as her supernatural charms affect their judgment.

Character Journal
Due to the bonus of Succubus, there is often a unnatural allure to Alexis that might perk "interest" from others.

Save for that one unfinished, underlined sentence, Silk, you're good to post up your character whenever you like. Welcome to the game. :-)

Green Goo Theory

Quote from: DarkNevaeh on March 12, 2015, 12:03:52 AM
Limit Breaks vary from person to person.  Having a self heal/buff as a Limit Break, considering that you are near death, could be a cool idea.  Maybe something like a Limit that casts Wall and Shell which halves damage from physical and Magical damage for a few rounds?

Just an idea.

If it was something as mundane as that I'd go a step past into Big Guard instead of just Wall.  On that note what about the transformation-based limit breaks I mentioned above as well? 

Coming soon...

Revenent

Quote from: Tonberryshuffle on March 12, 2015, 10:10:37 PM
If it was something as mundane as that I'd go a step past into Big Guard instead of just Wall.  On that note what about the transformation-based limit breaks I mentioned above as well?

We already have one transformation-based limit break, but it's on a character who was approved before Fenrir took over the game, so I'm not 100% sure. Since that character is currently in the game, though, I'd say transformation LBs are acceptable, if they're within reason and explained well enough.

Sorry I didn't answer your question earlier. You wouldn't believe the work load we've had with how this game's exploded back into life. ><

la dame en noir

So canon GF's are available right? Cause I really want to get my hands on Ifrit if at all possible.
Games(Group & 1x1): 7 | Post Rate: 1 - 6 days | Availability: Actively looking!
A&A | FxF |
O/Os | FxF Writers Directory

DarkNevaeh

That I missed, my apologies. 

My character, Kir, does a variation of transform.  So its possible, depending on how you want to do it.

Revenent

Quote from: la dame en noir on March 12, 2015, 10:37:15 PM
So canon GF's are available right? Cause I really want to get my hands on Ifrit if at all possible.

To my knowledge, Ifrit is not taken, nor does anyone intend to take him, so by all means. ^ ^

la dame en noir

Quote from: Revenent on March 12, 2015, 10:40:18 PM
To my knowledge, Ifrit is not taken, nor does anyone intend to take him, so by all means. ^ ^
Awesome! Thank you :D
Games(Group & 1x1): 7 | Post Rate: 1 - 6 days | Availability: Actively looking!
A&A | FxF |
O/Os | FxF Writers Directory

Green Goo Theory

Quote from: Revenent on March 12, 2015, 10:30:26 PM
We already have one transformation-based limit break, but it's on a character who was approved before Fenrir took over the game, so I'm not 100% sure. Since that character is currently in the game, though, I'd say transformation LBs are acceptable, if they're within reason and explained well enough.

Sorry I didn't answer your question earlier. You wouldn't believe the work load we've had with how this game's exploded back into life. ><

No worries about the delay.  With that in mind I'm not sure exactly how to explain away a transformation LB.  At least not to the extent that I had envisioned. 

Quote from: DarkNevaeh on March 12, 2015, 10:39:02 PM
That I missed, my apologies. 

My character, Kir, does a variation of transform.  So its possible, depending on how you want to do it.

Alright.  Thank you for that. 

Coming soon...

Silk

Corrected the post. :) And thanks Kck, I thought given the nature of a Succubus it would be an apt downside for using her since she offers a little bit more than the usual stat boost+nuke GF, Also it means I'll have to be reserved in using her as the more attuned I get with her the stronger her influence would become. Otherwise I could just go "Hey enemies :D Kill eachother please Kthanksbai"