A freeform story game of intrigue, war, and romance. :D

Started by GrinningHound, August 09, 2009, 02:22:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GrinningHound

Okay, I will try to express my idea as best I can.

This is going to be a challenging game as far as writing and RP ability.  :D

I want to write a story together.  Everyone will have their own characters, but also will have narrative power beyond that.  We will all try to craft an overall narrative that is fun and exciting for everyone.

To make it sort of a writing and an RP challenge, as well as to make things more interesting and tense and suspenseful and exciting,  characters are going to die.  Power will shift in the world as great warriors and important princes and powerful merchants are killed and replaced, as allegiances shift in the setting.

Anyone may do anything they want, within their character's power and reason (like a merchant could summon all his associates for a meeting and get them to agree to something in one post, just by saying he does it).

People should plan ways to use eachother toward their goals, or ally, or go to war with people, or assassinate them, or marry them (for love or power) etc etc.  The setting is very rocky socially and politically, and our characters are power players, good, evil, whatever. 

The exact setting is to be discussed.

Taking character and setting ideas!  This is in the discussion and interest phase.  :D

TheVillain

Sounds like a high-fantasy setting from your write-up, let me know if I'm wrong.

Anyway, my initial idea for a character would be a chivalrous paladin of a war goddess with a secret he's trying to keep under wraps. In one of his last missions he was slaying an evil warlock when he was hit with a death curse as the warlock was dying. The insidious nature of the curse has begun to assert itself as the paladin is slowly turning into the type of demon that disgusts him the most, a demon of lust that preys on innocent young women. On the surface he just wants the greatest good for the greatest number of people, but behind the scenes he is trying to manage the curse and wants to be rid of the curse before he does something he'll truly regret.
My O/O's / My A/A's / My Ideas
Update - Apologies to all my partners, real life is exploding and I've gotten far behind.

GrinningHound

GreenHavok

This is a very intriguing idea, i'm very interested. As far as setting, i do agree it sounds like a "fantasy" type. Or even a historical fiction, along to lines of Romance of the Three Kingdoms. I am all for a fantasy type setting, and i have tons of character ideas, so i could help in fleshing something out.

GrinningHound

Yes, a high fantasy setting, knights, wizards, stuff like that.

You can be any character you want, basically.  They will all have the same power level (it's freeform) but it's all about cunning!

We will have to discuss the setting together.  It'll be just like Romance of the Three Kingdoms or a Song of Ice and Fire.  We just gotta make up some countries.  :D

Umm...or maybe it's just houses?  It'll all take place in one country, involving cities instead of nations?

Treena

I would like to play as well. I could be a mystical being or a fallen angel. I have a character that is immortal but doens't know it and has lost her memory as well.

A/A     Ons/Offs     Cravings
Back and open to some rps.
Treena'sWiki

zestalicious

I would be interested. I haven't thought of a character yet, but I will  ;D
The.

Chaos

Sounds very interesting.

I like the idea of the young and decadent heir of an old and decadent noble house. They've long dabbled in dark arts, and are obscenely rich, but their star has faded... time for the new ruler to pull them back into the limelight as a major power.

Works the ruler of a small country, or a city, either way.

LadySky

I could be interested in this if allowed. I don't know how many ppl your wanting to get going in this but if their is room I could come up with a character and such!
I dreamed a dreamed, life has killed the dream I dreamed. So....I dream a NEW DREAM!!! never let them see you cry.

GrinningHound

All good!  :D

Treena, even an immortal character can be killed.  Or maybe just defeated.

The only thing I think we have to work out is how to determine if someone can take someone out or not.  We might need a rock paper scissors type of mechanic.  Any ideas?

TheVillain

Perhaps with a bit about how many you have to win to actually achieve victory based on power and planning. Could work.
My O/O's / My A/A's / My Ideas
Update - Apologies to all my partners, real life is exploding and I've gotten far behind.

GrinningHound

Something like that.

Okay, I'm thinking the game takes place on a smallish continent, like Europe, with many countries and a dramatic political climate.  Things have changed recently, and they will change again.

It doesn't take too long to travel the continent.

Every character is a power player in his or her own country.  The game doesn't necessarily start off with a war brewing.  Things are just tense, like they always are, after a recent conflict that has borders all a tizzy.  :P  You may be trying to claim a gold mine for your country, as it lies on a disputed border, something like that.

Eventually, something big will happen that will set off a new conflict.  I will introduce what this is.

You may make up what nations you want to belong to, and what your position is.  Military figure?  Nobility?  Heir?  Councilor?  Powerful merchant?  High priest?  Maybe you're just a peasant soldier right now who will stumble into something and gain power along the way.

:D  I'm still deciding what I wanna play.  I'm leaning toward DARK WIZARD!  :D

ZK

On's/Off's --- Game Reviews

"Only the insane have strength enough to prosper. Only those who prosper may judge what is sane."

GrinningHound

I would be delighted to have the legendary ZK in my game!  :D

What would you like to play?

ZK

Legendary ZK? o.O I'm that popular? Or say I have that much prestige?

I love political intrigue, romance and war. It's why I could watch Braveheart a bajillion times.

"Only the insane have strength enough to prosper. Only those who prosper may judge what is sane."

GrinningHound

I dunno.  Maybe I'm the only one who thinks that.  :D

Treena

Name: Calisto
Race: Fallen Angel
History: Calisto used to be a guardian angel for a young girl but when something tragic happened to the girl Calisto felt like somehow it was her fault when it wasn't. So she left heaven feeling disgraced but never knew that she still was still able to go to heaven and return to her duties. She has lived most of her earth years in Rome. She appears like a normal human to others and if she ever runs into the girl that used to watch over only she would see Calisto for who she realy is. Calisto can also show others her true form if she chooses to.

Treena'sWiki

GrinningHound

Awesome!

Does she feel any particular allegiance to Rome, or hold any powerful position in it?

She doesn't have to, there are other ways to work her into the story.  :D

Oh, and a note for everyone, this isn't ACTUAL Europe.  It's just a small continent with a ton of unstable countries, LIKE Europe.  Treena's Rome isn't Earth Rome, but it's still a country called Rome.  :D

Treena

She holds no postion atm she just lives there. She has been asked to lead the army from time to time though.

Treena'sWiki

ZK

So it being high fantasy with just humans or other species too?

GrinningHound

Humans consist of most of the continent's populace, but there are other civilized races, and there are monsters and magical creatures and stuff.

You may play WHATEVER YOU WANT!  :D

ZK

Combicon

Combi is interested!
I have a very vague idea fer a character, but I'll develop her more. :]

Combicon

Name: Lyiana Dunelock
Race: Half-elf
History: Lyiana had been abandoned outside a hospital - she was told that the woman running from the basket looked elven; and she had always assumed that her mother had been ashamed of having a baby that wasn't full elf. She was taken to an orphanage when she was old enough (she was dropped off newborn; the staff were quite amazed that she survived), but despite that, had a tendency to hang out around the hospital; liking to explore. For most of her childhood and throughout puberty she normally would sneak out at night, exploring the city from a different angle; enjoying the sights and smells that the city offered. It didn't take long for her to find hidden treasures during excursions - a wallet left on a train, or a bag left and forgotten; selling objects of value to others (gold and jewelry for example) and keeping the objects she desired.
When she was old enough to leave the adoption house (she wasn't ever adopted - for reasons she neither knew, nor cared about at the time), she took her objects and found a place to stay that she had discovered on one of her voyages out when she was younger; continuing her life of stealing discarded/left behind objects, and selling them on.

LadySky

I usually make my character bios much more involved but I decided this time that just a peek into her was enough. Learning about who she is and what she is like will come in the process of the RP.

Name: Princess Rayna Vladisava Vesiliev
Race: Human/Mage
History: The royal Princess of Moldova and being prepared to be married off in a political alliance with a rival country.

I dreamed a dreamed, life has killed the dream I dreamed. So....I dream a NEW DREAM!!! never let them see you cry.

GrinningHound

Hmmm....very good!

Combi, how do you expect your character to get involved with all the political and war stuff?

I have an idea.  :D

Combicon

LadySky

So should I continue with her profile? Is she acceptable?

GrinningHound

Yes is sounds good so far LadySky.  You don't actually need more info than that, if you wanna develop your character over the course of RPing her that is fine!

Don't choose who she's being married to yet, I need more characters.

We need some menfolk, too!  Countries don't have to be named after actual European countries, either.

What's that anime where all the characters are named after countries, and it's like WW2 themed.  This feels like that.  :P

ZK

There are many animes and such of that.

But the best game turned anime in that central theme is Valkyria Chronicles.

That a great game and even a good anime from what I heard. It's a fantasy WW2 type setting with a strong human element. Something that is incredibly rare.

I suppose I'll play as a male character as there is so many females. o.o

zestalicious

I'll play a male then.

Name: Rubidium, "Rb (pronounced: Arbi)"

Race: Ex-human, Homunculus.

Sex: Male

History: Rb has long forgotten his true name. He used to be a young prince in the now non-existent nation of Glen. Glen was a small nation, but its land held a wealth of resources, and it sold such resources to the surrounding nations. Glen had no army, and its only protection came from the alliances it held with the countries around it, it was protection for cheap resources. However, one day all the surrounding nations collaborated in invading Glen. They killed the defenseless Glen royal family, and then fought among themselves, until they reached an agreement on how to split the land.
Rb had run from the burning castle as soldiers chased after him. He had already been impaled in the stomach, but managed to lose the soldiers in the dark of night, and in the familiarity of the forest. However, he eventually bled to death, though nobody ever found his body.
His body had been taken by an alchemist of Glen a week after he died. The alchemist chemically regenerated and revived his decayed body, and strengthened it. He then somehow made the newly revived body a personification of the element, Rubidium.
The new persona was not the persona of the prince, but the persona of Rubidium, with the prince's memories, and morals. Rb killed the alchemist once he awoke, and swore to re-establish the great nation of Glen by reclaiming the land from the invader nations. He has taken the first step towards this goal by establishing a large military group, consisting of rogues unaffiliated to any country, Myrn.

Abilities: Unaging (stopped aging at the age of 24. Since that was the age he died at). Slight magic resistance and strength boost due to alchemist's tampering with his body. Rb's soul is not the Prince's, but rather a personified element, as such, the Prince's body is not a suitable container for his soul, and his soul is not bound to the body. This allows Rb to transmigrate to another body, even if the Prince's body is completely destroyed.

Appearance: A short, young, fair-skinned man with boyish features and body structure, standing at 5'1", with shoulder length, white hair and deep violet eyes. His skin gives off a slight reddish-violet glow, giving him a divine look. Always wears a deep red velvet and gold Prince's coronet.

note:
Rb's mental state is unstable, just like the element that he personifies. He rarely goes berserk, but is fully capable of doing so without warning.
The.

GrinningHound

Zest, he cannot be involved in any adult content.

In fact, just to avoid any issues, he should be at least 18.

Otherwise looks good.  :)

zestalicious

I kind of thought about that. He IS actually a 103 though.
Ah. But it is BOTH physically and mentally right? Gah.
Hurmm.

I changed it... though I want him to be proportionally short >.<
I suppose I'll have a 4'6" 16 year old bodied boy (if i'm not wrong, the rules say 16)

and the manga/anime where the characters are personified countries in WWII is
Hetalia: Axis Powers
The.

ZK

So, we have a bunch of females and one crazy sociopath. o.o

GrinningHound

Well, I'm gonna be a MAN!

Actually Zest...if he were 18 i'd feel better.  16 just makes me nervous, is all.

zestalicious

. its just physical age. D: he's 103.
never mind. I'll make him die at 24. hurm. Then I'll jsut cut Dermon out of the picture since Rb no longer looks like a boy.
haan~
The.

Combicon

I can pull out if you guys want a better male:female ratio?

Chaos

I'll add a male PC then, if there's space for another:

Name: Dominic von Kaltengrad, Count Kaltengrad, Prince of Zarova

Race: Human (?)

History: The Kaltengrad family are, theoretically, the rulers of Zarova. For the last few centuries, though, their star has waned along with that of their nation. Spent in dissipation and an increasing interest in the occult, the country's nobility have faded into feuding households, and the Prince of the nation, once ruler and leader, was reduced to first amongst squabbling families.

Dominic plans to change that. His father's experiments have bound demonic energies into him, and he has cowed most of the other noble houses of his homeland, bringing them back into line. The country is backward, the peasants terrified of their lords, the lords bickering constantly - but Dominic will see this end. Zarovia WILL take it's place again as a great power, and he will lead it there, no matter what dark deals he must make to do so.

His father has recently passed away, in tragic and mysterious circumstances, and now Dominic has full use of his family's powers. He knows he must act to succeed, must establish himself as a significant player in the game of thrones.

Abilities: He is stronger and faster than most humans, because of the blood of demons in his veins. He can command powerful dark magics, but is not a sorcerer as such - rather, he has many family bargains to call on, and must pay for each use of his powers with a sacrifice or ritual.

Appearance: Tall, slender, and pale, Dominic dresses in fine black clothes. The ruby ring he wears is his family symbol of power, and contains potent demonic energy. The golden circlet he wears on his head marks him as Prince of Zarova.

Vampricprincessty

I would like to be a female heir who is in love with a vampire but is going to be married off for family to gain more power.

GrinningHound

No Combi!

I am honestly not concerned with the gender ratio.  This is not so much of an erotic RP as it is a story about this land in turmoil.

Vampric, we already have a princess who is going to be married.

My life is kinda stressful right now.  I will have to think of a way to run this game.  I don't really want to do all the characters in individual threads, that would be boring.

I'm thinking it will start off with some sort of conference, attended by powerful people from every country.

ZK

I've been busy with real life, but my character is coming up soon. He'll be a mercenary, so he won't have to be at the meeting; meaning he can come in later. :D

Vampricprincessty

Here is my idea for my character....

Name: Diamanta de la Oriel

Race: Vampire

History: Diamanta is a pure blood vampire and queen of Tristein. The former King and Queen were sucked dry by her clan. The kingdom fell into dispear as many villagers started to come up missing everyday. Even with this happening the villagers stayed. Diamanta order her clan to turn all villagers to increase their attack power. She plans on taking over and many kingdoms as she can. 

Abilities: Since Diamanta is a pureblood she can walk in the sun as she chooses long as she has had enough blood the previous night. Her pureblood has also gave her speical powers. They are Telekinesis, healing, wind control. She will only heal herself because she sees no use in healing others.

Appearance: Diamanta is fair skin and slender. Her hair is black with red tips that goes down to her lower back. She wears brown contacts to hide her red eyes. A neckleace with the crest of her clan on it. She will kill anyone who dare tries to steal it. She wears long black dresses made of the best silk.

zestalicious

Conference? Rb wouldn't be able to go to that, since he's just a rogue living in England...
Oh well, he could be there to assassinate a few people.
The.

GrinningHound

Does anyone have ideas for how we should solve IC conflicts?

I'm thinking a roll of 1d6, and I will give bonuses or penalties based on the situation.

If a merchant lord rallies all his shady mob contacts and puts out a hit on a princess, then he will probably get a bonus to kill her.  If she has her royal guard with her, she will get a bonus to defend.  Whoever rolls higher wins (meaning they kill their target if they are attacking, or survive if they are defending).

Defenders win ties.  If a defender wins by a lot, they may be able to kill their attacker.

Something like that.  A character's powers and stuff are really just flavor text.  A great warrior can be killed by a princess if she has her royal guard take him out.  Likewise, a warrior can kill a king if he catches him alone.  It's all about the planning.

Also, take into account retribution.  People have allies and stuff, and the threat of an ally's retribution is a good way to keep your enemies from hurting you.  However, alliances are not solid, maybe they will decide to turn on their treaty once their ally falls.

It's a game of roleplaying and storytelling, not a competition, so, expect your character to die even if you don't want them to, expect allies to turn on you, stuff like that.  However, perhaps someone you think is an enemy turns out to be a friend!

Everyone is effectively a 'DM' of their own character and the characters that they influence.  We will be writing a story together.  If your character dies, you may write a new one, although the person who defeats you has the option of having your new character be in THEIR country, so that makes you allies.

However, like I said, alliances are not set in stone....you may get turned on down the road by someone you killed earlier!  :D

The exact system for determining all this is still in the works.  Does anyone have a suggestion?

GrinningHound

Zest, there are any amount of reasons he may be in attendance.  He isn't necessarily invited, but you can make up why he's there and what he's doing.

If he has a powerful military group under his command, maybe he WAS invited, because everyone may want to see what he's planning, or try to make an alliance with him.

He could be there in secret to kill someone, too.  It's all up to you.

zestalicious

Oh no, the military group is meant to be secretive. I'm thinking the only reason he would be there is either to gather information or kill.

oh and maybe establish secret alliances.
Though it would all be shady business.
The.

GrinningHound

NekoBoy89

I could join this thing....just have no idea what I would make...I have an idea for a weretiger. :)

Name: Jakobe (Jake)

Race: Weretiger

History: Jake was born as a weretiger and he have been it all his life, as both his mom and dad was of there kind. He was raised and trained by the parents to have control of his tiger nature and did so very well actually. He was a talented young boy at an eraly age, but lacked the ability to remove his tail so he always had to live with having a tiger tail. He have never actually had any interested in the war, he and his family have always stayed neutral in the fighting. But with the years he have gained a bigger interest to see the rest of the world and when he turned 17 the weretiger knew it was time to leave the home for a while and find adventure and glory. 

Abilities: As a weretiger Jake has enhanced senses, he have extremely fast reflexes and is a skilled martial artist, his strenght is greater then what people think when looking at him, but his greatest strenght is his speed and agility. He can also change into his weretiger form at will, and then powerful claws grows out on his hands and the body is covered in protective fur.

Appearance: looks like this: http://www.elfwood.com/~meli20/Adorable_Kreau.3030751.html

ZK

Seeing as we have a large influx of people, I'll go with my original plan and use one of my original races I used in my sci-fi setting which could easily be added to a fantasy setting. :D

Chat Noir

I'm quite interested in this one, is there still room?
If you've been missing me please see my thread here.

"Sticks and stones may break my bones...
...but whips and chains excite me."

Ons and Offs
My Roleplays:
Dirty Little Secret|Mystery Men - Unsung Superheroes

GrinningHound

Sure.  :D

I will set up a thread soon to play in.  :D

GrinningHound

I'm trying to think of a fun way to start.  Also having some creative difficulties.

GrinningHound

I'm having a ton of trouble thinking of how to run this game fairly, but with a competitive element.

The problem with freeform is that no one ever loses unless they want to.  That's why we need some sort of system to resolve conflicts.

I need ideas!  Something simple that will work smoothly.

Pumpkin Seeds

ZK

Could have it based on the actions and consequences type bit, a single die roll is a bit too random without any form of modifiers and will change it from a freeform manner. Instead of making it competitive, make it competitive optional, giving the benefit to those who ally with each other than stand alone to keep the chaos and so many lone wolves from happening... as well to keep it from just plain out combat free-for-all.

Also to keep it from going complete cluster-fubar, have two sides of a conflict (various nations allaying with each other) and a neutral party (I.E. neutral countries and those that send out mercenaries to either side).

GrinningHound

Guys I'm having trouble puzzling this out.

I don't want to start a game if it's not going to run smoothly, I wanna have our guidelines in place and agreed upon before we continue.

There needs to be some sort of fair way to arbitrate players with opposing actions.  Like, if you send an army at a castle, who wins?  If you attack another player, who wins?  What happens to their nation?

How can we determine this.

LadySky

GrinningHound

Well, yes, but what dice do we roll?  What bonuses will be assigned?  How do we handle who gets to do what, when?

Aiden

It has been a while since I played a rogue/assassin.

Cid
Kingdom Affiliation- Highest Bidder
Age- Late 20's early 30's
Born- Unknown
Bio- (unknown by most)
Born of wealthy family and birth, Cid despised his family for arranging his marriage for political gain. The kingdom he was supposed to rule stands strong to this day, but not under his leadership and never will. His first love, a young maid in his family's court caught his attention at a young age. She never denied him anything as he was of noble blood but was never able to get what he wished the most, her heart. Sinking into his own desperation to win her over, he lurked outside her residence, moved in shadows and watched her until she broke his heart by following another man into the bed chambers, his father.

In a fit of rage he killed them both and fled the kingdom, leaving control to his mother and young sister. He traveled kingdom to kingdom, wallowing in guilt and pain over the loss of his first love. Visiting the shadiest of taverns and their patrons. Eventually he lost himself in the world, learning the trade from an assassin of a unknown (get it it's the point of a rogue guild) assassin guild called "The Black Roses".

ZK

Still, regardless of such, we shouldn't have it as a giant free-for-all, we should have factions, traditionally there are two or three.

GrinningHound

Sorry.  I'm pretty pathetic.  This is going nowhere.