Jag's Tea House

Started by Jag, March 26, 2011, 12:17:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nadir

I found a site, Teapigs, that seems to offer a range of tea like your TeaCo, which makes me effing excited. I'm going to explore them most rabidly.

Jag

Oh, Eden, that's a wonderful find. Their Smart Tea Set with the candle warmer is so...sexy!

*makes grabby hands*
Ons/Offs // Request Thread (Updated 3/10/24) // Slow to Reply at the Moment

Jag

Tea is Discontinued
Blueberry Cheesecake Green Tea

QuoteIngredients: Dried blueberries, Green Tea Leaves, Cheesecake Flavoring

I got a sample pack of this tea a few months ago and it got buried in my tea bowl (yes, I have a big bowl of tea). I found it while I was digging around in the bowl for something to drink a few nights ago. I saw the little, gold, TeaCo sample pack sitting near the bottom and decided it was high time I brewed some of it.

Upon opening the bag the first thing anyone should notice is the smell of blueberries. If you pick through the leaves you will find whole, dried blueberries. There are plenty of advantages and disadvantages to dried fruit. When it comes to storage or travel, dried fruit is the better way to go. It's easier to carry around with you in a baggie or container without having to worry about it spoiling or going bad. A disadvantage, and a big one, lies with the nutritional values of dried fruit. The heat involved in drying out fruit decreases some heat sensitive vitamins...such as Vitamin C. What it loses in vitamin C, it retains in being high fiber. Dried blueberries, specifically, are approximately four times higher in antioxidants than their fresh counterparts.

Now, since we're not going to be actually eating these blueberries, the question might be is the goodness in these dried blueberries released into tea? Yes and no. Tea will never have all the benefits that eating a handful of dried fruit or fresh fruit will. Many of the vitamins, minerals, etc are put into the tea when you brew it.

For this tea specifically, there are no secondary players in this tea. It's all about the blueberries. Blueberries are wonderful. The little dark-blue balls of joy. Seriously, they are. The Journal of Agriculture and Food Chemistry has linked wild blueberry juice in helping with the symptoms of depression in adults. There is little these berries can't do. From being linked with helping depression to Alzheimer's disease to urinary tract infections. It's just fantastic what the things grown in nature can do.

This tea is just everything good about blueberries. It's flavorful and it smells like sticking your nose into a blueberry bush. From the moment you open the sample bag/canister to the last drop of tea, it's all blueberry. I only put two dried blueberries into my tea ball and that seems like more than enough. It blends so nicely with the green tea. There is no bitterness or dry mouth feeling like you get with most green tea. Even after steeping it for 5 minutes (which average is 3-4), it's not bitter at all.

Now, this tea is called Blueberry Cheesecake Green Tea, not Blueberry Green Tea. So where is the cheesecake?! Unfortunately, as much as I hate to put down a tea that tastes so good, there is very little that is 'cheesecake' about this drink. There is a hint of something sweet that is obviously not blueberry that runs over your tongue and it does have that sweet smell of cheesecake behind the berry. It's a creamy flavor and smell that is definitely not blueberry. I really think they could have done better with the cheesecake flavor. Maybe add some cream bits like they do in the Orange Cream tea. Or even find a way to put actual cheesecake bits into it (I'm pretty sure it can be done these days!) to add a more cheesecake flavor to it.

This will never replace real blueberry cheesecake and I would never want it to. It's a wonderful blueberry tea that happens to have a sweetness to it. Even the color is nothing much to write about. It's a green tea. It's good, flavorful, and light. Very nice for an after meal drink, maybe lunch or breakfast. While I don't plan on buying a canister of this one, I do recommend it to people that like blueberries, green tea, and lighter teas.

This is another one of these teas that you're not likely to find on your store shelf, but here are some nice alternatives:

Republic of Tea Blueberry Tea
Bigelow Green Tea with Blueberry
Celestial Seasonings Green Tea Blueberry Breeze

If you want this exact tea, you can purchase it from TeaCo: TeaCo's Blueberry Cheesecake Green Tea.

crystaltears

I love this blog. Every entry. This last one has me intrigued. Blueberry Cheesecake Green Tea will go on my list of things to try if ever presented the opportunity. :-)
Give someone an easy smile today; sign this petition on Elliquiy so we can see a man in kilts!!
fantasy compendium ~ come make magic with us

A/As - Updated 08/02/2011
writing - Last Addition 07/20/2011 | blog - Last Entry 04/19/2011

Shadows and Dust... Just Another Soul.

Jag

Tea is Discontinued
Strawberry Daquiri Green Tea

QuoteIngredients: Strawberries Pieces, Green Tea Leaves, Natural Flavorings

Okay, not even going to mess around with the benefits of green tea or strawberries for this one. There really is no point to it in my opinion. There are better teas to go to than this one.

For the first time, I'm highly disappointed in a TeaCo tea. Normally I'm like their unofficial spokes woman. They are a wonderful company that takes time, research, and care into crafting their teas. Not just flavorful teas, but beautiful ones with bits of fruit and perfectly green dried leaves and the most aromatic scents I've ever had the pleasure of partaking in a tea.

Sadly, this tea hit none of those buttons with me. It was bland, plain, and I'm considering tossing the lot of it out. Thankfully, I didn't spend any money on this one as it was one of my free sample packs. I'd be very upset with myself if I had spent a penny on it.

Where to start, where to start...oh, I know, the dry tea itself. Normally when you open a canister or bag of TeaCo tea you see lots of nice little curled leaves. Instead of that pretty sight, I see a bunch of twigs. Now there is nothing wrong with tea twigs, but they simply aren't the best part of the plant to use, nor are they very attractive. Instead of a dried green color, they are more brown and it's very unappealing. The small sample bag really doesn't let you see this.

It would have been a saving point with the strawberry pieces to put off those ugly twigs, but there was like one strawberry bit in the whole 10oz package. I had to dig to the bottom to fish it out just so I could toss it in the tea ball with my sticks.

At this point I proceeded with standard tea making procedures. Also known as 'drop the ball of twigs and my one, half a centimeter strawberry bit into hot water and steep for 3-4 minutes in my tea pot'. Now, whenever I make a pot of tea as opposed to a cup, I always make two tea balls with 1 tablespoon of leaves in each ball. One would think this would be enough flavor, but no! After 3 minutes my tea water still looked like plain, clear water. So I swished the balls around a bit and put the lid back on for another 3 minutes. Pouring a cup I noticed the water is still hot-warm, but still very clear. Not the color you expect from a green tea. No pretty yellowish color or anything.

I know this is disgusting, but it's the best way to describe the color...it looks like someone who was very well hydrated emptied their bladder into my cup. That very, very pale color and the whole time I'm wondering why I can't smell anything. I don't smell the green tea or the strawberries. So not only does it look like piss water, it doesn't even smell like strawberries!

The taste was like drinking really iron-filled tap water. If you've ever tasted really bad tap water, then you know what I'm talking about. I was raised in a house with that kind of water and I have no desire to ever taste it again in my life. So I did what any good woman should do when they get something bad tasting in their mouth when they'd been expecting it to be good...I spit.

I will admit that this is not the first time I've had this specific tea, but I wasn't exactly in a good state of mind to really enjoy the tea that first time. I'm not sure how I managed to choke this down last time. No matter what the reason, I'm not drinking it again.

Sorry, TeaCo, but you all need to take this one back to your kitchen and do something, anything, to fix it. I'm so disappointed in it that I didn't even waste my photobucket space for pictures and I'm not linking it to your site.

Jag

Went to TeaCo yesterday with my best friend. I got a 12oz, iced Lemongrass and bought two things...One is a canister of Magnolia Oolong and the other are these neat little filters. They slip onto a stick (that came with them) and you put the leaves into it. Then you use the stick to hook it on the cup and slowly pour the water through it. Once it's brewed, you just lift the stick and slide the filter onto either a napkin or into the trash. You can get about 3 uses out of a filter (using it with the same tea each time) if you don't tear it.

I plan on using these only for my Rooibos since that stuff seems to make it through even my mesh tea ball. The Lemongrass, by the way, was effing awesome. ^_^ My friend got herself a sample pack of Gunpowder Tea. I can't wait to try it.

crystaltears

Quote from: Michi No Sora on June 12, 2011, 09:47:02 AM
Went to TeaCo yesterday with my best friend. I got a 12oz, iced Lemongrass and bought two things...One is a canister of Magnolia Oolong and the other are these neat little filters. They slip onto a stick (that came with them) and you put the leaves into it. Then you use the stick to hook it on the cup and slowly pour the water through it. Once it's brewed, you just lift the stick and slide the filter onto either a napkin or into the trash. You can get about 3 uses out of a filter (using it with the same tea each time) if you don't tear it.

Do you by chance have a picture of the... filters (one of your own or one you could link to)? I'm having trouble wrapping my mind around what they would look like and it's got me curious now.
Give someone an easy smile today; sign this petition on Elliquiy so we can see a man in kilts!!
fantasy compendium ~ come make magic with us

A/As - Updated 08/02/2011
writing - Last Addition 07/20/2011 | blog - Last Entry 04/19/2011

Shadows and Dust... Just Another Soul.

Jag

TeaCo doesn't have them on their site, but here they are:

Mini-minit Coffee/Tea Filters

Izzie Aditi

Love the blog Michi, thanks for pointing me to it!

So many teas to try..so little time..
“Redheads are said to be children of the moon, thwarted by the sun, and addicted to sex and sugar.”

Jag

Thanks, Izzie. ^__^

Also, I was befriended by a tea maker in Utah a while ago and I've been itching to get some samples from her. Since I can't go to her store like I can TeaCo, I just want to get samples instead of whole canisters to start with. I can only get 3 for now, but I'm having a hard time choosing which teas to get, so I want everyone's opinions! Here are the options:

Cherry Chocolate Marshmallow Black Tea
Orange Marzipan Rooibos
Raspberry Jasmine Green Tea
Strawberry Lemonade Green Tea
Hojicha La Creme Green Tea
Cherry Colada Green Tea

So, which three would you all like to see me write about? They all just look so good and I can't decide on my own! Help!

Silverfyre

First off, I have been reading this all morning and I love it.  Thank you so much for posting what you post, Michi.

I am inclined to say the Orange Marzipan Rooibos, Cherry Chocolate Marshmallow Black Tea, and the Hojicha La Creme Green Tea for your samplers.

Izzie Aditi

Only..3? Ugh, decisions, decisions..

I would be interested in reading about the Cherry Chocolate Marshmallow Black Tea, the Strawberry Lemonade and the Hojicha La Creme Green Tea :-)
“Redheads are said to be children of the moon, thwarted by the sun, and addicted to sex and sugar.”

Ryven

This is too cute not to necro this thread back.  It's a Fred & Friends creation. ;D

Jag

*dusts thread off*

I got some tea samples and have decided it was time I got back into drinking tea more again. If I'm going to be drinking it more again, I might as well share with you all! So look forward to new posts soon!

Lilias

To go in the dark with a light is to know the light.
To know the dark, go dark. Go without sight,
and find that the dark, too, blooms and sings,
and is traveled by dark feet and dark wings.
~Wendell Berry

Double Os <> Double As (updated Feb 20) <> The Hoard <> 50 Tales 2024 <> The Lab <> ELLUIKI

Jag

It is alive!

So...I got my first sample case from Adagio Teas. I got a sample tin of each of their Dark Crystal: Age of Teasistance (I love a punny name).

They are: Dousan Draught (Green and Rooibos blend), Drenchen River Tonic (Oolong and White blend), Grottan Moss Tea (Green and Black blend), Sifan Sea Grog (Oolong and Black blend), Spriton Ale (Green and Black blend), Stonewood Brew (Black tea), Vapran Cordial (White tea), and Skeksis Essence (Black tea).

They also sent me a free sample of Pisces from their zodiac line. It's a blend of rooibos tea, black tea, and white tea with chamomile flowers, orange peel, lemon grass, blue cornflowers, orange flavor, and grapefruit flavor. They also sent me a free sample of their 2quart bag of Mango Iced Tea. It has black tea, mango pieces, and marigold flowers. I have it steeping per the instructions in a pitcher in the fridge right now.

Here is just a picture of all of them (minus the ice tea pouch, cause I already got that in the water). I'll do individual pictures of the tins and the contents when I post up about each one.

I love the tins. They are so beautiful. Each sample tin makes around 6-8 cups.

Jag

First up...

Sifan Sea Grog

Ingredients: Blended with vanilla oolong tea, butterscotch black tea, apple pieces, natural vanilla flavor, cocoa nibs, rose hips, butterscotch flavor, marigold flowers.

Lore: The Sifa clan are sea gypsies who enjoy a hearty grog onboard their ships. Vanilla Oolong tea with a hint of indulgent Butterscotch, accented with ornate Marigold flavors.

From the Creator: This tea contains a high level of caffeine | Steep at 212° for 3 minutes.

When I got all my Dark Crystal samples, I smelled each one. I tend to pick what I want to eat or drink based on what smells the best. Sifan Sea Grog smelled incredible. Looking at it, it looked well balanced. There didn't seem to be too much or too little of any of the ingredients.

I did enjoy the taste of it, because I do love butterscotch (which is probably why it smelled the best to me). For me, it could have had more butterscotch. However, I will say that for anyone who is kind of 'meh' on butterscotch, I do feel it was the most important taste and scent. It did overpower the other flavors a little. It did taste more like a black tea with butterscotch, rather than a black tea with all of these amazing sounding ingredients.

I will be purchasing more of this one, because I did like it that much. Despite being an oolong/black tea, it did not taste heavy or get bitter at all. It didn't leave me with that dry mouth feeling that some darker teas do. It was very well balanced.

Since this is a 'Fandom' tea, I do feel the need to comment on how it relates to what it's representing. In the books and show, the Sifa Clan are sea fairing Gelfling. Most other Gelflings say "A Sifa never does anything for free". They are merchants, but they are also symbol keepers. No one knows more about signs and symbols than a Sifa. They are known for having soothsayers in their clan who can see the future and their clanship is made of living coral.

Since something 'salty' to represent the ocean would have ruined the flavor profile, I think butterscotch was a good way to go. It's a unique taste and easily identifiable (like the Sifa with their curly, deep red hair that no other clan has). The rose hips in the blend look nice for the red coloring of their hair. The marigold flowers look like bits of coral.  So over all, I think the taste and look of the blend works well for the Sifa Clan.

Jag

Stonewood Brew

Ingredients: Blended with black tea, natural forest berries flavor, raspberry leaves, orange, blue cornflowers, raspberries, strawberries, natural vanilla flavor, natural bergamot flavor, natural creme flavor

Teas: forest berries, earl grey moonlight

Accented with: freeze dried strawberry

Lore: The Stonewood clan are fierce warriors, they drink a strong brew laden with the flavors of the forest. Earl Grey tea with Forest Berries

From the Creator: This tea contains a high level of caffeine | Steep at 212° for 3 minutes.

This is a very strong tea. It's very flavorful, but it's also super rich and heavy. It's almost coffee like. I'm not a fan of coffee, but the berries and bergamot really cut through the bitter flavor of coffee that I normally don't like. If you're unsure of what bergamot is, it's a citrus fruit. It looks like the lumpy child of a lime and an orange. It's a very fragrant fruit and I can smell it in this tea.

Normally, I don't like adding things to my tea. I generally only put a little candied ginger or a tiny bit of honey if I put anything at all in them. For this, after my first initial cup, decided to take it to work with me like coffee. I added some almond milk and a tsp of simple syrup. It was really good. I've actually drank it like this every morning. So much so that I probably only have enough left for one more small cup to make. I think it's safe to say that this is one I'll be buying a full tin of.

I really like the way this one looks. Everything was very nicely blended like the Sifan tea. Seeing the red strawberries, the blue cornflowers, and the orange peel just makes it so pretty. It really makes it look woodsy.

Which leads me to the fandom side of it. The Stonewood clan are a forest clan that live in Stone-in-the-Wood and are considered fierce warriors. They make tools, weapons, and are considered a clan with a deep and long history. They are home to the most well known Gelfling hero, Jarra-Jen and their village is marked with all the songs of their history.

I really think that this tea works well with the idea of their clan. In the show, they are seen as having a 'bar' of sorts where travelers can grab a cup and freely drink all they want from the brew fountains. Obviously, this isn't alcoholic tea, but it is very strong. I imagine this is what the Stonewood warriors drink the morning after their evening brews to get started for the day.

Jag

Vaprian Cordial

Ingredients: Blended with white tea, rose hips, rose petals, pineapple pieces, mango pieces, hibiscus, cranberries, apple pieces, natural pineapple flavor, blueberries, natural mango flavor, apricots, natural peach flavor, and marigold flowers.

Teas: white eternal spring, white peach

Lore: The Vaprans drink this lovely tea to keep warm in their snowy mountain city. White tea with delicate floral accents and sweet fruits.

From the Creator: This tea contains a low level of caffeine | Steep at 180° for 3 minutes.

I didn't really like this one. I saw rose hips, pineapple, mango, cranberries, apples, and apricots listed in the ingredients and thought "Wow, this is going to be super nice"...I didn't taste any of it. I've drank the whole tin. I've used a thermometer to make sure I'm steeping at the exact right temperature. I've gone up and down with the temperature and same with the steeping time. Still nothing. It just tastes like plain white tea. Which isn't terrible, but I'm not a big fan of white tea.

The scent is super pretty though. It's strange that there is such a big scent to it, with so little taste.

It's not a bad tea at all. It's very soft and elegant. It's just not my cup of tea.

As for how it relates to it's name sake, the Vapra clan of gelfling live in snowy mountains. They are considered highly educated and most cultured of the clans. They are known for their long, silverling white-blond hair, beautiful gossamer wings, and delicate features. They can read and write, where most gelfling can't. As the All-Maudra, ruler of the gelflings, is a Vapra, they are the ruling clan.

Given all that, I think this tea if perfect for a Vapra. It's soft, delicate, and beautiful. Great for sitting with a book in the cold weather with a warm blanket over your lap.

Salvation

I love this!  So glad to see it active again, and thank you for sharing.

Jag

I got a new tea infuser. It's a floating frog!

It's so cute. I love it and it works so well.

Quote from: Salvation on October 25, 2019, 02:31:20 PM
I love this!  So glad to see it active again, and thank you for sharing.

I'm glad you enjoy it. ^_^

FoxWriter

Hi Jag!

i have a question about Tea, if you don't mind?

recently, i've been having some, ah... issues, with tea in that drinking too much of it seams to have given me a bit of a... well. bladder infection. which, isn't uncommon i'm told but still annoying now that it's cold enough to actually enjoy drinking my nightly cup (okay cups) of tea.

are there herbal teas that aren't a diuretic that you know of?

also, do rose-hips taste like roses? i was thinking of getting a sample of Hibiscus and of butterfly pea since i've been told those aren't floral in flavor at all. i know i don't like lavender or rose tea because the floral taste is like drinking perfume XP. are rosehips as strong as rose petals are?
[tr][td]
My Cafe[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Choose your own adventure : Fates be Chosen[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]50 Tales[/td][/tr]
[tr][td] Word of the Day[/td]
[/tr][/table]

Oniya

Rose-hips are actually fairly tart - not like perfume at all. 

I don't know about the diuretic bit, though.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

FoxWriter

neither does google xDDD
[tr][td]
My Cafe[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Choose your own adventure : Fates be Chosen[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]50 Tales[/td][/tr]
[tr][td] Word of the Day[/td]
[/tr][/table]

Jag

When looking for a non-diuretic tea, you'll want to look for teas made without the Camellia sinensis plant. This knocks out all white, green, black, and oolong teas; as they are all made from this plant. You'll want to look for teas there are non-caffeinated. They do make white, green, and black de-caf tea; however they are still made from Camellia sinensis. Look for red teas, like rooibos that are naturally non-caffeinated. Or look for teas that are strictly herbal, but avoid dandelion, fennel, chamomile, fennel, or ginger; as they are all diuretics. Really, it's going to be a matter of reading labels in depth and researching each individual plant involved in the mixture.