I just bought Batman: Arkham Origins (Possible spoilers)

Started by Skynet, October 27, 2013, 12:05:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Skynet

As a fan of the first two games, I can say that this one's everything I expected and more.  I'm happy to get the opportunity to fly around Gotham City proper, although there's no pedestrians or moving cars GTA-style.

Basically the plot is set two years after the Batman starts up his crime-fighting vigilante career, but before the events of Arkham Asylum.  The Black Mask, a vicious crime lord, places a $50 million bounty on Batman's head; eight vicious supervillain assassins, along with other crime lords and crooked cops, are out to kill him.

In addition to trying to stop the Black Mask and fight all manner of costumed criminals, you can go on various sidequests: stop crimes in progress you find on a police dispatcher, prevent Anarky from blowing up buildings, track down the Riddler's blackmail material of Gotham's influential, and more!

So, has anybody bought this game?  How are you enjoying it?

Chris Brady

I love it.  I don't really mind the missing civilians.  This game was built for 8 year old hardware, and frankly, the XBox 360 was the weakest of the bunch, in terms of specs.
My O&Os Peruse at your doom.

So I make a A&A thread but do I put it here?  No.  Of course not.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

Inkidu

Quote from: Chris Brady on October 27, 2013, 12:21:10 PM
I love it.  I don't really mind the missing civilians.  This game was built for 8 year old hardware, and frankly, the XBox 360 was the weakest of the bunch, in terms of specs.
Well there's that, and then there's...
The fact that it's Christmas Eve, snowing like a mother, and a curfew has been issued because of the troubles at Blackgate Prison. Any sane person wouldn't be out and about.

I'm liking it so far, but is it me or are they a lot more aggressive?
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Chris Brady

'They'?  As in the goons?  Yeah, they are.  I've fought three bosses so far, and let me tell ya, I like it!

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

Inkidu

Quote from: Chris Brady on October 27, 2013, 12:54:04 PM
'They'?  As in the goons?  Yeah, they are.  I've fought three bosses so far, and let me tell ya, I like it!
Yeah, they often go up for more consecutive attacks, they also do double and triple attacks less often (usually only certain types of goons). Also, the martial artists give me fits. I'm getting better, but the glory of my I Am the Night run is going to be harder than I thought. I've died a lot more than I'd like.

However, I am playing on hard.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Twisted Crow

Heh. This is one of few that have caught my eye recently. The trailer looked awesome. I'm looking forward to Batman and Deathstroke duking it out. If its as dark as AC was, I think it'll be a gem to add to my gaming set for a little while.

Inkidu

Quote from: twisted crow on October 27, 2013, 02:38:06 PM
Heh. This is one of few that have caught my eye recently. The trailer looked awesome. I'm looking forward to Batman and Deathstroke duking it out. If its as dark as AC was, I think it'll be a gem to add to my gaming set for a little while.
I loved the fight with Deathstroke!

Twisted Crow

Hehe. Not to take anything from my love for Joker but Deathstroke is just boss in his own special way. :)

Inkidu

Quote from: Skynet on October 27, 2013, 05:25:02 PM
Deathstroke was a thinking man's battle.  I'm surprised that Angry Joe (video game reviewer) was not fond of it.
Angry Joe isn't patient enough to have fun with the Deathstroke fight.

I thought all the boss fight were exceptionally well done.

Equipment Spoilers
Oh my good God are the shock gloves the best thing ever! It's like freaking God-mode in brawls.

Chris Brady

I do have one complaint.  The game is getting choppy as hell, often to the point of having to reboot the game.

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Chris Brady on October 28, 2013, 08:33:18 PM
I do have one complaint.  The game is getting choppy as hell, often to the point of having to reboot the game.

Havent' had any choppiness but I've had it literally go black screen twice and for a period of forty five minutes couldn't access my save game.

I don't know what the deal is with the Riddler puzzles.. but I cannot get them done. I'm at like 12%

When you get the combos flowing.. damn it can get really nasty easy to get the gloves charged up again and again.

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Skynet on October 28, 2013, 09:09:14 PM
Yeah, the Riddler ones with the green switchplates I haven't figured out, like, at all.  And I got 100% of Riddler puzzles in Arkham Asylum, so it's not like I'm casual in this regard!

They had a demo in Asylum/City..and now it's like they changed something and I can't figure out why. No tutorials or hints.

Inkidu

Quote from: Skynet on October 28, 2013, 09:09:14 PM
Yeah, the Riddler ones with the green switchplates I haven't figured out, like, at all.  And I got 100% of Riddler puzzles in Arkham Asylum, so it's not like I'm casual in this regard!
I got 100% on the data packs, so tell me what's up because it all kind of works like it did in City. You need about four gadgets (not counting batarangs)

Word Movement

I got this and beat the main story over the weekend. I really loved it. I think the story is probably tighter than City, and more satisfying than Asylum. I've held off on a lot of the Most Wanted and Enigma packages, as I wanted to wait until New Game+. I find myself, with games like this, enjoying New Game+ a lot more than the original playthrough, as I kind of know the pacing of the game and what to expect.

I feel like the combat was a lot tighter and a lot harder than the other two games--I especially liked the new enemy types and the boss fights. Holy crap, the boss fights. They are universally good, I think.

I read an interview that said the developers were highly influenced by Die Hard in wanting to make a "Christmas story that wasn't a Christmas story." With that in mind, it's pretty funny whenever you hear a goon say, "Welcome to the party!"

I wouldn't get it if you're expecting some completely brand new experience. But if you haven't got enough of the basic mechanics from Asylum and City, it's more than worth your time.

Chris Brady

This game is busted.  Seriously, seriously busted.  Graphics are breaking, I slipped into the roof and couldn't get out.  And I have a PS3 version.

No wonder, WB Montreal did the Arkham City Wii U adaptation and that had huge glitches.

Inkidu

Quote from: Chris Brady on October 30, 2013, 01:01:24 AM
This game is busted.  Seriously, seriously busted.  Graphics are breaking, I slipped into the roof and couldn't get out.  And I have a PS3 version.

No wonder, WB Montreal did the Arkham City Wii U adaptation and that had huge glitches.
I didn't come across that many glitches. :\

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Chris Brady on October 30, 2013, 01:01:24 AM

I get the 'mystery blackout/hangs' on the Xbox version.

Chris Brady

Callie Del Noire

I haven't had any in AC IV though. :D

Love some pirate action.

Chris Brady

AC4's issues are not software, definitely.  The story's been a bit week so far.

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Chris Brady on October 30, 2013, 12:15:37 PM
AC4's issues are not software, definitely.  The story's been a bit week so far.

I dunno.. no grand 'end of the world' bit so far. Have you hit the first log out scene?

Chris Brady

Yes, I have.  Don't get me wrong, it's a LOT of fun.  I'm glad I got both games, but the B:AO story is deeper, darker and entertainingly fascinating.  While AC 4 is a little looser.  But AC4 doesn't have any major noticeable glitches.