Mage: The Awakening probe (Need ST!)

Started by Blackshade10, January 04, 2012, 06:42:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blackshade10

So, I am a huge, and I mean HUGE fan of Mage: The Awakening from Whitewolf. 

Would there be any interested players who would want to play as this, or any interested ST's willing to run a game? :) 

I have an idea for a dom/sub character I want to play, as the sub, with another interested player preferably. :)
*waves* I'm looking for RP!  Feel free to PM me!  I'm very open minded!

Muse

I'm very intrested in learning the new Mage better.  No way I could GM it though. 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

AndyZ

NWoD has lots of problems, but I'm tentatively interested.
It's all good, and it's all in fun.  Now get in the pit and try to love someone.

Ons/Offs   -  My schedule and A/As   -    My Avatars

If I've owed you a post for at least a week, poke me.

Dizzied

Always interested in Mage. I've played the Owod Mage a lot but never the new version, despite how much I like the new system. but I don't think I could run a good game of it myself. Not without playing it first.

Blackshade10

I already run a game, so really want to play. 

It looks like we'd have a decent number of players, just need a ST now!

ChaoticSky

Also tentatively interested if you have room. I've read every single NWoD Mage book, but never actually played in the system before. So I dont think I'm qualified to ST, sorry!

Blackshade10

Looking like 5 players!

ST's!  Anyone want to try!

AndyZ

Games I run tend to die, and I really want to get back to writing.  Right now I'm running two other games, one of which is practically limping along, the other might last a couple months.  That said, if all you need is a basic feel of the game, I could throw together a basic oneshot that might last a day or two in game time in order to teach the game to people.

I would probably use a 500xp system for putting characters together, or something similar, if this is desired.
It's all good, and it's all in fun.  Now get in the pit and try to love someone.

Muse

That sounds awesome to me!  :) 

I'd love a chance to play! 

As to your games dying, the sporadic nature of online games makes it all the more precious when people are willing to run them. 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

AndyZ

Muse, games that I run tend to die regardless of how I'm running them.  With post games, people stop posting, but with weekly games, people just stop responding or showing up.

If people want to do just the standard rules for character generation, I'll run that as well, though I'm less interested in playing a character in that system.

http://wiki.white-wolf.com/worldofdarkness/index.php?title=Mage:_The_Awakening_Core_(Errata)

There's a list of any known errata to date, unless anyone knows of a more current errata.

A few things that people new to the game should know:

You're supposed to keep your birth name hidden.  In the 21st century.  If you have a driver's license, a credit card, a registered vehicle, a cellular phone, or a host of similar devices, it's incredibly easy to learn your birth name.  Attempting to get your name changed requires you to publish both the old and new names in the newspaper, and is not advised.  (This may not be true, but it's what I was told.)  I'm willing to consider changing this aspect of the game if others want to, but as written, it's ridiculous.  You'll have to let me know whether you're willing to drop off the face of the earth and zero out or not.

You'll usually want to have a number of Prolonged duration spells already active to protect you.  A shielding spell of some type is listed for each of the arcana.  Considering how unbalanced combat tends to be in nWoD, you'll want at least a shield spell.

I don't plan on using the Morality (Wisdom) stuff, although if people want to, we can.

Capping Gnosis at 2 and Arcana at 3.

The premise that I'm thinking about is that your superiors have asked you to spend the night watching over a cabin in the woods that's near a waterfall Node.  Survive the night.  I'll entertain any other stories as to why the characters are here.

I prefer to run for people who can post every day.  If we go a full week without anyone posting, I'll declare the game as dead, and if any individual goes for a full week without posting, their character has fallen asleep.  This sounds harsh, but every game I've run on here has been faltering due to half the group not posting, and I don't want it to ruin things for the people who actually do want to play.

Combat will be handled by having the NPCs all go at once.  If we roll, players who beat out the NPCs will get the chance to take an action.  Then the NPCs will go, then all the players go, then the NPCs, and so on.  Trying to do normal inits on a chat is a nightmare.  Furthermore, if I have a good reason to say that the PCs all go first, or if the NPCs all go first, or if some PCs will go first and then the NPCs, I'll just use that.  I tend to be pretty fluid with turn-based games in that regard.

The real question regarding the system will primarily be: do people want rules as written, or do they want my various fixes to the rules which makes the game somewhat playable?  I usually do my own fixes, but since people want to actually learn the game, I can do the RAW.

Muse

Whatever you're most comfortable running, bro.  And i prefer the experience you spoke of. 

ChaoticSky

Mhm, Well, I've never played it so I cannot comment from experience, but I have some friends who are into WoD (with various degrees of preferences between old and new among them), and the general consensus that I've gotten from them is that NWoD is much better systemwise than OWoD (and conversely, OWoD had better fluff). Though I've looked at both and dont really agree with OWoD having better fluff, so I suppose the part about NWoD having a better system isnt necessarily true either, however, would you care to comment on what youd change and why?

I am quite interested in playing the system as-is, but if theres some significant broken mechanic that makes the game unworkable without houseruling... then I could be convinced to do that instead.

Also, I should point out, if you dont want to GM, dont feel obligated to do so just because you can. Your post really strongly gives off the vibe that you dont want to play a game of Mage, let alone GM.

Blackshade10

If we're cap-stoning at an Arcana at 3, there's really no worry about truly broken things happening I don't think. 

I'm cool with playing however one wants to run the game. :)  I can play however. 

Are we going to be Pentacle Mages, Apostates, or something else?

Dizzied

I agree with Darling...I don't know if it was your intention, Andyz, but you don't sound too enthusiastic about running. And I think the last thing anyone wants is for you to run a game that you won't enjoy. If I'm just reading into it the wrong way, feel free to ignore me.

AndyZ

You're probably right.  I've been feeling burned out lately and the cold season hasn't been helping my lungs any.  I guess the best course of action would be to hold off and see if someone else is interested.  If not, though, I can at least consider throwing down a oneshot for people in order to teach the game.

There are a decent number of things I like about nMtA.  The things that I hate just more than make up for those likes.

Blackshade10

I wouldn't mind a one-shot so people can experiment with their characters and decide if they want to switch for a different character or concept or whatever. :)