Julian Assange Has Been Arrested [Split from News Thread]

Started by Tolvo, April 11, 2019, 04:54:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tolvo

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/wikileaks-founder-julian-assange-arrested-police-london-n991236

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-47891737

Julian Assange has been arrested. Still new info is coming in but authorities have confiscated a lot of things relating to him, and the Ecuadorian Embassy revoked their protection of him.  Been a long time coming for him. Hopefully he can finally face trial now.

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Tolvo on April 11, 2019, 04:54:56 AM
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/wikileaks-founder-julian-assange-arrested-police-london-n991236

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-47891737

Julian Assange has been arrested. Still new info is coming in but authorities have confiscated a lot of things relating to him, and the Ecuadorian Embassy revoked their protection of him.  Been a long time coming for him. Hopefully he can finally face trial now.

The rape charges have lapsed. The only thing he could be charged for now is jumping bail

Kitteredge

Quote from: Callie Del Noire on April 11, 2019, 05:45:15 AM
The rape charges have lapsed. The only thing he could be charged for now is jumping bail

Other than, of course, charges related to conspiracy with foreign governments to undermine democratic elections, etc., or whatever the exact language will be.

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Kitteredge on April 11, 2019, 05:49:12 AM
Other than, of course, charges related to conspiracy with foreign governments to undermine democratic elections, etc., or whatever the exact language will be.

One can hope but I doubt it will come up

Kitteredge

Quote from: Callie Del Noire on April 11, 2019, 06:44:49 AM
One can hope but I doubt it will come up

Sorry, you think he was removed randomly? He's being extradited to the United States for a reason.

Lustful Bride

ShadowFox89

Call me Shadow
My A/A

Lustful Bride

Quote from: ShadowFox89 on April 11, 2019, 08:33:24 AM
You reversed your polarity there.

Hahahaha, oh my god I had no idea X3  Anyway I was linking to Veks's 'Wikileaks is under Russian influence' thread since its relevant to the topic as well and more evidence as to why Assange is probably guilty of helping ruin our elections and getting the dumbest president ever elected.

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Kitteredge on April 11, 2019, 06:51:53 AM
Sorry, you think he was removed randomly? He's being extradited to the United States for a reason.

What a huge waste of time..I’ve said it before. We should have waived anything tied to the manning case, declined to prosecute and declared him persona non grata. No entry into the US and let folks in Europe deal with him.

We will only make him a martyr and increase his standings

Kitteredge

Quote from: Callie Del Noire on April 11, 2019, 11:51:51 AM
What a huge waste of time..I’ve said it before. We should have waived anything tied to the manning case, declined to prosecute and declared him persona non grata. No entry into the US and let folks in Europe deal with him.

We will only make him a martyr and increase his standings

Assange was incredibly important in the hack of the DNC and others and the distribution of illegally gained information in order to assist Trump during the 2016 election. He was a conduit for the benefit of Putin and other Russian oligarchs. Mueller likely has had sealed indictments against him similar to those unsealed against Russian nationals.

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Kitteredge on April 11, 2019, 11:58:37 AM
Assange was incredibly important in the hack of the DNC and others and the distribution of illegally gained information in order to assist Trump during the 2016 election. He was a conduit for the benefit of Putin and other Russian oligarchs. Mueller likely has had sealed indictments against him similar to those unsealed against Russian nationals.

I agreed but if it’s tied to the manning case..it’s a waste of time. Do I think he helped the Russians in their electioneering here an elsewhere? Absolutely but it goes back to the manning case..he can play the journalist card and insist he knew after the fact

I doubt that we will come out of it looking like anything but a bunch of thugs..and if his cronies have anything on the folks pushing this they will publish it.

Kitteredge

It's not tied to the Manning case. As to the rest, I have no idea what you're talking about.

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Kitteredge on April 11, 2019, 12:10:58 PM
It's not tied to the Manning case. As to the rest, I have no idea what you're talking about.

Assage has hinted several times that he has numberous poison pills set to auto publish if he’s offline for a certain period of time. If he’s being prosecuted I imagine they will start appearing. Given his connections to the Russians, I personally doubt their validity unverified but it will raise a stink.

Tolvo

Kitteredge

Chelsea Manning is completely beside the point, unless she is involved in electoral interference from Russia and assistance to the Trump campaign and is trying to provide cover.

Tolvo

It's because she is in prison due to them trying to force her to give testimonies they can use in the Assange case since it has turned out to be about previous leaks. So she is in prison basically for refusing being strong armed and for staying silent. And also just, this is the news thread.

Kitteredge

That's fine, but old news. Assange is a lynchpin in how Russia, CambridgeAnalytica, Internet Research Agency, and Russian agents impacted the 2016 election. The thing to keep an eye on is whether he'll get slapped with the stuff Mueller was working on, or whether Trump's DoJ is trying to protect themselves by making sure the Manning charges are the only ones.

Tolvo

Old news? It just happened today what are you talking about?

Kitteredge

Chelsea Manning is beside the point.

Assange is directly linked to Roger Stone and the dirty operations of the 2016 election. Below is a link about how Assange accidentally showed how close he is to Sean Hannity, of Fox News, who is extremely close to Donald Trump, so close they actually have chats on the phone before bed. Eliot Cohen, Trump's lawyer, had three clients -- Trump, a Republican finance guy named Broidy, and Sean Hannity. Assange is heavily suspected -- or even widely and obviously known -- to have coordinated the use of voter and communications information to help Russia skew the 2016 election.

THAT'S the big deal. THAT'S what matters. The Manning stuff is old news because it comes from a different time. What really matters is whether he's going to be charged with the election interference. (Collusion, conspiracy, whatever you may colloquially call it.) There's a possibility Trump, by way of his cronies in the DoJ, are trying to keep him from being charged in what really matters, the destruction of our democratic processes.

Kitteredge

Sean Hannity has just scrubbed his Twitter feed of every reference to Assange and #wikilinks. Trump has been very supportive of wikilinks, then slandered them, and now pretends he's never heard of them before.

Tolvo

So you aren't reading anything I'm talking about, and are saying current news does not belong in the news thread? Manning was just this year put back in prison for refusing to give testimony behind closed doors to a grand jury. She is currently in prison, finally removed from solitary confinement. She is suffering in prison, still being mistreated for being transgender. That is current news and I do not think it is alright to tell me that the suffering of someone currently is old news, or that what she is currently going through is old news. I consider Assange a bastard and hate him, I already know about his links to anything that is Russian and Trump and his ties to the far right. I was literally sharing a news story and you are jumping down my throat for no reason at all.

Kitteredge

I am reading what you're talking about, and others upthread. I'm saying that Chelsea Manning is not the real story here. Current, yes. But there's something far more important at this point going on. She seems to think she's the story, but she's always had a pretty egotistical view of her own role in things (IMO), the sort of overweening self-regard that lead Snowden to run to Russia and lead Assange to run to Russia. All I'm saying is that Russia is the story with Assange and has been for a while. Russia and Trump and the Republican Party, depending on how much their leadership has known.

Tolvo

So I'm not allowed to post news stories in the news thread unless they are about Julian Assange and Russia's election interference? Especially given Chelsea Manning is in prison for not giving testimony against him? Like, I really cannot understand what is happening here or why you think I know nothing about Assange given I was the person who posted the story about him getting arrested first as far as I know and mentioned knowing about him and that I think he's a bad person. Though i am a bit worried how they go about this as they could use his arrest to make things more dangerous for sources and for whistleblowers and journalists and people who leak information.

Kitteredge

I have no idea why you're taking this personally, I was responding to the story by saying we all -- every one of us -- needs to keep an eye on a bigger picture. But... carry on.