Monster Musume interest check (potential BESM 3th edition system use)

Started by Zaer Darkwail, September 18, 2015, 06:59:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zaer Darkwail

For years, the Japanese government has kept a secret: mythical creatures such as centaurs, harpies, and lamias are real. Three years before the start of the story, the government revealed the existence of these creatures and passed a legal bill, the "Interspecies Cultural Exchange Act". Since then, these creatures, known as "liminals," have become a part of human society, living with ordinary families like foreign exchange students and au-pair visitors, but with other duties and restrictions (the primary restriction being that liminals and humans are forbidden from harming each other).

Wiki entry
Monster Musume own wiki
Monster Girl Encyclopedia page

It's recommended that any interested players get familiar with the setting (read wikis, first pages of manga or episodes, google is useful for this) and also checking out the monster girl encyclopedia area for ideas for 'monsters' they want to run in as. However for gender equality I allow male monsters as well. Albeit the manga and anime is ecchi heavy (and sexual content is likely expected) there is going to be actual plot involved with the monsters and foster families. Also it's only Japan which had opened this program and world at large is still trying decide 'what we do with excistence of monsters?' issue. Some countries embrace the program/law, others reject it and others even outright hunt monsters to be delivered to labs where they are cut open for experiments or even sought to militarize them.

So, overall players should think char concepts which base on chars who are residents to Japan (foster families). However monsters could be anywhere from the world but most be fluent in Japan to speak it (writing/reading is different matter). Even in Japan there are activist groups both in favor or against monsters.

Now, those who are interested I want ask are they willing to run it with system? System which I plan use is BESM third edition (again; google is your tool to find rules for this system and I cannot link them because E site policies). I think BESM is best and easiest system to adapt anime stuff and creating monsters in modern society and also make the foster families. We would use modern comedy/romance as skill cost for stuff.

Anycase the humans/foster people would have 300 (heroic amount) points and monsters would have 500 (mythical amount) points. Humans by default use 90pts for their stats (Body, Mind and Spirit) as they want and they use heroic threshold for traits while monsters use 120pts for their stats and have mythical threshold for their traits. You must spend 50pts for skills as human where as monsters have 25pts limit. So for repeat in easy formula for minimums (you can spend more to skills or stats as you prefer);

Stats/Attributes/Skills
Human          90     Rest      50
Monster       120     Rest      25

Now, those who do not want system can voice it out; it's not set in stone. Albeit BESM system is easy to learn as it uses 2d6 dice vs target number (you add modifier to 2d6 roll depending on attributes/skill modifiers). If have questions on system, game or voice interest or lack of it, feel free to write :).

wander

I really would love to play in this setting! ^^

I however only own BESM d20, though I own the Tenchi Muyo and Sailor Moon rpgs, which use an older version of BESM though. Point buy is a little different in these versions, for example a stat has a 1:1 point buy ratio, characters are often around 50pts worth in this version.

Have you considered FATE Core or FATE Accelerated? Both are pay what you want (including nothing, aka free) and can handle the monster/human split due to the Aspects mechanic. I'd recommend FATE Accelerated more, as it's more narrative based and character generation is far easier and there are less rules for people.

Interested, of course. :)

Yukina

I'd love to join and play some BESM 3rd in this setting. I'm currently researching "the bill".

Edit: Research complete. Finally decided and I'll be playing a meek hostess. She inherited her grandmother's property and estate, the catch being that she had to apply to be a host family.

Zaer Darkwail

I am familiar with Aspects mechanic (I may have played it once), but I am more familiar with BESM so I would stick with it. However if got older editions, overall system is same (I think) expect price costs is different and some extra attributes. Just google and take a look to BESM 3th edition, it does not take too much your time to find free PDF somewhere or look to the rules of the system :).

However as mentioned if majority say 'nay' for system then we go freeform with this.

Idlewyld

I can go either way, though I'd like to hear the argument for using system on this one. What would you have the players make rolls to do in the game?

Zaer Darkwail

Mostly skill checks but also in case of attacks (example protagonist in anime punched couple bad mouthing locals about his monster date) and defense rolls or measure how much 'rough loving' they can take (HP and defense rolls avoid tough lamia love hugs). Also intent is later on involve actual plot which may involve physical conflict or needing use of powers like telepathy to get information from people's heads.

Kimera

I'm currently checking out the proposed ruleset, but I might make a character for this

Wolfy

Zaer Darkwail

Quote from: Wolfy on September 20, 2015, 01:30:27 AM
I wanna be a member of M.O.N! @-@

It's possible :). But if we use BESM rules then you would need get organizational ties attribute for it.

avorae

I say we go system but then I am not very good with freeform so I may be slightly biased.
Life is a hard game but the rewards are sweet if you know where to look.

mannik

I normally don't do group games, but this one seems like it could be fun. Consider me interested ;D

While I am by far more used to freeform games, I am interested in trying out some system based games. So...could go with either option. I'll probably wind up playing a monster girl. Right now trying to decide between harpy or lamia.

Zaer Darkwail

So far 7 interests and votes for system or no system go;

System: 3
Neutral/no idea preferance: 3
No-System: 1 (through PM)

So with that I presume we will be using system then (as freeform it can be harder to decide who would win grapple fights, who's faster and so forth). I will work later this week a actual charsheet but feel free post pics, name or write bios for char (or even start calculate what you get with BESM). As mentioned the game is based on modern world and the humans are 'regulars' (meaning no super powers). Humans spend automatically 140 points for stats and skills, leaving 160pts for attributes. However 3 in any three stat is 'below adult' average (teenager). So if want play full grown adults then 4 in all three stats is ideal (so meaning 170pts spend for stats and skills).

In attributes is lots stuff besides supernatural; example wealth is one, organizational ties, aura of inspiration (fitting for a actor, musician, singer etc), divine relationship (or simply as luck), items and ofc all combat attributes which apply if char practices martial arts (or has gained skill in using firearms through hobby or practices hunting in woods in freetime). Weapons are also attribute and if your martial artist who may have 'chi enchanced' attacks, that's possible with weapon attributes but still even hardcore human martial artist should not have many super attacks or attacks which look 'magical' in nature (more stick with real life version of martial art feats). Also increased landspeed can apply to running athletes (or those who work out) but not overly much to go beyond realism (like super speed does).

Yukina

Name: Miyako Sonozaki
Bio: Miyako was a shy girl that was down on her luck. The meek girl had just come out of technical school with a degree in programming and web design, but her money was dwindling as there were little to no jobs in sight. Luck shone upon her however when she inherited her grandmother's property and estate. Miyako was oddly confused, seeing as her elder was cruel and she was her least favorite grandchild. The unfortunate girl soon found the catch was that she had to apply to be a host family, an awkward predicament due to her meek nature...

Sheet Write-up

Miyako Sonozaki

Stats (90)

Body: 3
Mind: 3
Soul: 3

Attributes (32)
-(2) Features: Appearance, Cuteness 2
-(1) Features: Appearance, Beauty 1
-(1) Features: Editic Memory
-(8) Organizational Ties 4: Head of the Sonozaki Coporation
-(20) Wealth 4

Skills (50)
-(2) Administration 1: Accounting, Executive, Small Businesses
-(2) Area Knowledge: Hometown
-(1) Biological Sciences 1: Ecology
-(7) Computers 2: Databases, Networks, Programming
-(2) Cultural Arts 1: History
-(4) Domestic Arts: Cleaning, Cooking, Home Budgeting
-(2) Driving 1: Bus, Car, Small Truck (vans, pick-ups, hi-cubes)
-(2) Electronics 1: Computers, Consumer Electronics
-(4) Etiquette 2: Low Class
-(2) Foreign Culture 2: Monsters
-(4) Gaming 2: Board Games, Computer Games, Gambling/Card Games, Military Simulations, Role Playing Games
-(7) Languages 4: Japanese, English, Chinese, French, German, Korean, Spanish
-(1) Medical: First Aid
-(1) Physical Sciences 1: Physics
-(4) Urban Tracking 2: Academic
-(3) Visual Art 2: Animation, Drawing, Video
-(2) Writing 2: Academic

Lynnette

I'll need to look up on BESM 3rd edition, as I'm not familiar with it, but I'm interested, I think it could be fun. The example-issues mentioned here seem like they could be solved with something as simple as a single D6 though, alt. a D12, with half the numbers representing one part and the other half the other part, with the distance from the mid-point counting severity of victory/loss.
I'm available on Discord!
Feel free to message me if you want to chat
Lynnpai#4726

My O/O     My guide to set up a home server and Plex
My request thread

Zaer Darkwail

Quote from: Lynnette on September 22, 2015, 01:01:17 PM
I'll need to look up on BESM 3rd edition, as I'm not familiar with it, but I'm interested, I think it could be fun. The example-issues mentioned here seem like they could be solved with something as simple as a single D6 though, alt. a D12, with half the numbers representing one part and the other half the other part, with the distance from the mid-point counting severity of victory/loss.

Yeah, but how you limit how powerful is monster X vs monster B? More so if their similar but different interests? The attributes and their ranks present good balance for that. Anycase google is your friend; you should find free PDF of BESM 3th edition somewhere.

Yugishogun: Char is looking good, do remember if needing points (or just for flavor) you can take defects up to -10pts. If it's tough to make humans in heroic scale without tapping to supernatural (spend the points mainly) I can allow 'supernatural' abilities through technology (so we still go with modern setting with slight futuristic stuff allowed like hologram projectors with richer people or flying cars/vechiles in everyday use). Tough and Energy increasing attributes are useful (so yes, we use energy and also shock values to determine pain threshold when you go stunned).

Yukina

Lynnette

Quote from: Zaer Darkwail on September 22, 2015, 01:26:31 PM
Yeah, but how you limit how powerful is monster X vs monster B? More so if their similar but different interests? The attributes and their ranks present good balance for that. Anycase google is your friend; you should find free PDF of BESM 3th edition somewhere.

Well of course it has its disadvantages, but overall, I don't think this would be a very heavy PVP-type game. If it was a PVP-game, a system would of course be a massive benefit, but I'm a bit unsure as to how much it'll actually be used. Of course, I'll look into BESM though. It's been silent at work lately, so I'll probably look into it tomorrow or something.
I'm available on Discord!
Feel free to message me if you want to chat
Lynnpai#4726

My O/O     My guide to set up a home server and Plex
My request thread

Zaer Darkwail

Well, that's something you should not advertise here Yugishogun, I would advice remove your offer as I think it borderlines breaks E's policy against piracy :P. But if you discuss matter with with other folks outside E and do that, then that's different matter.

Quote from: Lynnette on September 22, 2015, 01:50:24 PM
Well of course it has its disadvantages, but overall, I don't think this would be a very heavy PVP-type game. If it was a PVP-game, a system would of course be a massive benefit, but I'm a bit unsure as to how much it'll actually be used. Of course, I'll look into BESM though. It's been silent at work lately, so I'll probably look into it tomorrow or something.

Not PvP but more a PvE situations (other monsters going rampage, terrorists, kidnappings etc). I bit expand the universe as we go as I go by the anime episodes for basic fluff and idea. Japan so far is hospital for monsters but other countries may have their own policies or ideas against it (or exploit it).

mannik

After looking through the monster girl encyclopedia you included in the first post I'm even more torn between potential monster girls to play. Though kind of leaning toward Hellhound or something like that.

Here's a character sheet that I'm working on. The attributes and associated point costs are based on an older version of the system. Try as I might, I can't even find a list of available skills in 3rd edition. So...could use a little help in finding such information.

Name: Renoa

Species: Beastman, hellhound

Bio: Renoa is a creature of fiery passions and dominant personality. Quick tempered and aggressive in nature, she can be quite the handful for anyone responsible for keeping her out of trouble, especially when she goes into heat. Though once she comes to trust someone she can be a fiercely loyal and affectionate companion.

She grew up in the jungles of south America, and for much of her life lived a very primitive life style. Often fighting with her siblings for position in the pack, and other monsters to secure food. Eventually her family was forced into ever increasing conflict with humans as they continued to expand their cities into her family's territory, forcing them to relocate on several occasions.

Rumors of Japan's new cultural exchange program reached her pack. A woman had ventured into the jungle with the sole purpose of bringing this news to the tribal monsters living there, openly inviting them to return with her as part of the program. While most of her pack was distrustful of this offer, fearing it was some trick by the humans to get them to leave their rightful home once and for all. Renoa did not believe the woman was being deceitful or dishonest. She certainly didn't smell like she was lying. So, as a means of learning human culture and way of life, she volunteers to go to Japan and learn all she can to help her family in their struggles dealing with the humans continuing to encroach on their territory.

Learning Japanese was difficult for the hellhound. Even after passing the mandatory classes needed to participate in the program, she only has basic working knowledge of the language. With effort she can pick out the important words, but if spoken too quickly or with the use of slang she is easily confused and frustrated.

stats
Stats: 120pts

Body:5
Mind:3
Soul:4

Attributes: 60pts

Natural Weapons (claws and teeth): 2 (2pts)
Heightened Senses: 3 (6pts)
Super Strength: 3 (9pts)
Speed: 2 (2pts)
Regeneration: 2 (8pts)
Special attack (hell fire): 2 (8pts)
Special defense (fire): 4 (4pts)
Elasticity: 1 (1pt)
Animal Friend: 4(4pts)
Combat Mastery: 4(8pts)

Skills:
Acrobatics
Intimidation
Occult
Stealth
Wilderness survival
Wilderness tracking
Animal Training (ties in to animal friend)

edit: added a bit more history to her biography.

Zaer Darkwail

Skills are listed in pg82 but we use Modern Day Romantic Comedy cost for them (which is listed at pg89 in right side of the page). You should use google to find the PDF but I think I can list the skills but their costs vary between 1-3pts (seduction costs 3 example while riding is 1pt). But I guess I can work up your sheet updated for 3th edition if you know pick skills which to max out or interested in (also each skill purchased comes with speciality and with additional point get +2 other specialities, specialities add +1 dice for indicated action).

I list the skills; Acrobatics, Administration, Animal Training, Architecture, Area Knowlegde, Artisan, Biological Sciences, Boating, Burglary, Climbing, Computers, Controlled Breathing, Cultural Arts, Demolitions, Disguise, Domestic Arts, Driving, Electronics, Etiquette, Foreign Culture, Forgery, Gaming, Interrogation, Intimidation, Languages, Law, Mechanic, Medical, Military Sciences, Navigation, Occult, Performing Arts, Physical Sciences, Piloting, Poisons, Police Sciences, Powerlifting, Riding, Seduction, Sleight of Hand, Social Sciences, Sports, Stealth, Street Sense, Swimming, Urban Tracking, Visual Arts, Wilderness Survival, Wilderness Tracking, Writing.

mannik

That's part of the problem. All the PDFs I can find are first edition, which doesn't even have skills from what I saw. The only 3rd edition pdf I found was only a sample and included only pages 1-6, so...had no information that was actually useful.

Went ahead and edited my character sheet to add in the skills I think would fit her character from the list you provided. Not sure about costs or what levels they should be though.

Yukina

Zaer Darkwail

Quote from: mannik on September 22, 2015, 05:06:50 PM
That's part of the problem. All the PDFs I can find are first edition, which doesn't even have skills from what I saw. The only 3rd edition pdf I found was only a sample and included only pages 1-6, so...had no information that was actually useful.

Went ahead and edited my character sheet to add in the skills I think would fit her character from the list you provided. Not sure about costs or what levels they should be though.

I work those in tomorrow or later this week.

Idlewyld

I'll try and work up the character then. It may take a little while.

Leodouble08

Completely interested, will work on the character here soonish.