Scion / Deadlands Crossover game idea

Started by HairyHeretic, May 18, 2009, 06:33:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HairyHeretic

Take the Deadlands setting ... steampunk horror western, undead varmints and Things That Go Bump In The Night.

Drop in a handfull of Scions, to go bump right back again.

Make with the Dr FrankenGM impersonation (probably mostly the Scion rule set, with additions)

Simmer at gas mark 4 til ready to bring to the boil, and serve with much ass kicking.

What do you think? Workable idea?
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Ixy

OK... Weird West is a fantastic setting, so you get a gold star.  Creepy desert zombies, witchdoctors (not exactly PC, but with that understood-- fuck, it's fiction, get over it), devils and chupacabra and all kinds of shit-- very cool :)

I've already expressed open interest in finding a Steampunkish game, and putting that in the west would be fantastical.

Now, Scion?  I know nothing.  From what I read on Wikipedia a few minutes ago, it's White Wolf, right?  And if that's true, I used to know White Wolf like the back of my hand.  I larped, did tabletop, everything... of course, that all stopped about 7 or 8 years ago and I'm given to understand that it's changed a bit.  All that aside, I think it generates some amazing creative options for character types, though I'd suggest defining a narrow field of scope so that the conflict between the cultural pantheons doesn't vastly overshadow the nifty setting.

Please include me in the 'interested and willing to apply' category, if you don't mind.  Some ideas: would it be possible to develop a specific pantheon guideline for Voodoun or Native American  mythology?  Just trying to get some ideas.

BlueMary

Hmm...I could probably come up with a Huckster-esque thing. *ponders*

Cold Heritage

Seems workable. How much would you want people to know about Deadlands to play?
Thank you, fellow Elliquiyan, and have a wonderful day.

HairyHeretic

Quote from: Ixy on May 18, 2009, 08:06:21 PM
OK... Weird West is a fantastic setting, so you get a gold star.  Creepy desert zombies, witchdoctors (not exactly PC, but with that understood-- fuck, it's fiction, get over it), devils and chupacabra and all kinds of shit-- very cool :)

Yup.

I've already expressed open interest in finding a Steampunkish game, and putting that in the west would be fantastical.

Deadlands looks a fun setting. I've only skimmed it so far, but a lot of the steampunk toys I've seen look like they'd be easy enough to stat to modern day type items.

Now, Scion?  I know nothing.  From what I read on Wikipedia a few minutes ago, it's White Wolf, right?  And if that's true, I used to know White Wolf like the back of my hand.  I larped, did tabletop, everything... of course, that all stopped about 7 or 8 years ago and I'm given to understand that it's changed a bit.  All that aside, I think it generates some amazing creative options for character types, though I'd suggest defining a narrow field of scope so that the conflict between the cultural pantheons doesn't vastly overshadow the nifty setting.

Yep, it's White Wolf. Here's what I wrote about Scion in another thread, by way of a very brief explanation of it.

QuoteThink of it almost in superhero terms. Basic background is that waaaaaaaaaaay back when, the various Gods locked the titans away. They were for killing them, but found out that was a bad idea. IIRC, they killed Ymir, and that caused the last ice age. Rather than risk destroying the entire world, they locked the titans away .. elsewhere.

The titans want to get loose and likely take revenge on the Gods, destroy the world in the process and be generally unpleasent. As a mortal son or daughter of one of these deities, you're the front line to keep the titans locked away. You have your own supernatural speed, strength, charisma and so on, and relics that allow you to channel specific powers.

My pen and paper group is playing a Scion campaign at present. In the first episode, the characters were drawn together .. my own Scion of Sun Wukong (Chinese), a Scion of Thor (Norse pantheon), a Scion of Anubis (Egyption pantheon), and three Scions from the Greek pantheon (Hermes, Dionysus and Athena I think).

They found out there was a titan buried under a Romanian castle, and had to go destroy a device which could be used to wake it. They realised that the one that gave them their task was actually titanspawn, and the device was what was keeping the titan contained. They went back out, fought a fire giant and wrapped the situation up.

From there, a brief jaunt over to Dublin for some personal business of the Scion of Thor. In Dublin they were attacked by Yakuza, which led them to Las Vegas, where they spiked an Onis plans to get his hands on a powerful relic, defeating an Aztec monster to gain it for themselves.

From there, they're off to California to investigate an old mining town which was apparently closed down years ago ... which leads to the question of who sent them the fax using the stationary from that mining company?

As the campaign progresses, the players will grow in power, becoming demigods and finally Gods in their own right.

Now, we'd probably have to tweak it a bit. I'm not sure about the Japanese or Egyptian or Indian pantheons having Scions running around the old West, but the rest certainly have enough immigrants and descendents who could be. That's not to say the Gods limit themselves to blood relations and their own peoples, but those are the ones I would expect to see most off.

Please include me in the 'interested and willing to apply' category, if you don't mind.  Some ideas: would it be possible to develop a specific pantheon guideline for Voodoun or Native American  mythology?  Just trying to get some ideas.

The core book has the Egyptian, Greek, Norse, Aztec, Voodoo and Japanese pantheons. The Companion adds the Chinese, Irish, Indian (not native American) and IIRC Atlantean pantheons.

If there's a homebrewed Native American one, I'd likely be willing to allow it, after I had a look at it.

Quote from: BlueMary on May 18, 2009, 11:16:12 PM
Hmm...I could probably come up with a Huckster-esque thing. *ponders*

I don't have any experience with the Deadlands rules, but the characters would be Scions, rather than the usual Deadlands characters. That's not to say we could adapt stuff. A Huckster is undead correct? Playing a Scion of one of the God / Goddesses of Death, we could probably figure something out there.

Quote from: Cold Heritage on May 18, 2009, 11:40:58 PM
Seems workable. How much would you want people to know about Deadlands to play?

Given I've never played it myself, and just skimmed the rules and setting, not a lot :)

I'd be tweaking it some anyway, to make it fit more with the Scion setting (it's actually a Titan responsible for the nastiness etc etc)

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Cold Heritage

QuoteThe Companion adds the Chinese, Irish, Indian (not native American) and IIRC Atlantean pantheons.

They also add an American pantheon (with gods like Uncle Sam, Johnny Appleseed, John Henry, Pecos Bill, for examples), but their pantheon specific Purview, Industry, might not be terribly apropos for an actual Wild West scenario. While 'Work Harder' is fine (you can peel taters twice as fast!), the others like Work Smarter and Gremlins might rely on more pervasive technology than you'd see present in the old west. The ultimate power is also 'The Project,' as in 'Manhattan Project,' so it might not be so good but if we ever get to max Legend I bet there's something we could decide on. Rosie the Riveter might need some tweaking since she's all about women's suffrage and I don't know how well timelines coincide.

There's an Allied Powers pantheon, too, which has some example gods for Britain (so you get guys like John Bull, a goddess called Britannia, Robin Hood, some others), France (D'Artagnon, two goddesses who embody aspects of the French Revolution), and the USSR (Mother Russia, Baba Yaga, and the Citizen). They get a power called Civitas that's pretty well teamwork and transfering around dots.

QuoteGiven I've never played it myself, and just skimmed the rules and setting, not a lot :)

I'd be tweaking it some anyway, to make it fit more with the Scion setting (it's actually a Titan responsible for the nastiness etc etc)

Would it be enough to just go off and read wikipedia, reviews on rpg.net, and that sort of thing, or would I need to have the book?

MadPanda

Not quite what I'd been looking for, since Wild West isn't my favorite genre, but the Weird West would be quite Scion-worthy.  Let me see what sort of character I can dream up for this...
Voluptas ailuri fulgentis decretum est!
Omnis nimis, temperantia ob coenobitae.
(Jes, tiuj frazoj estas malĝustaj. Pandoj fakte ne komprenas la latinan!)

One on Ones Suggestion Box
Group Game Suggestion Box
Pandariffic Ons and Otherwise
In Memory of Bishrook

Ixy

Ok-- I could see this taking a very cool direction.  The influx of immigrants to the American West would definitely make for an excellent opportunity for a variety of pantheons to meet up, much in the same way that the setting itself was a hodgepodge of cultures.

I gotta say that I'm not too excited about the more modern or post-medieval lines you mentioned, Cold Heritage, but I definitely get the idea of how these groups are to develop throughout history.  Personally, I prefer the notion that the Scions are remnant bloodlines from ancient cultures and deities rather than newer iconic figures or folklore. Is it safe to say that the Scions themselves don't necessarily have a grasp of the exact nature of their forebears?

I'll look around for the rules set... I'll ask a couple friends and check the local used-book store. 

I definitely have a couple ideas, and will try to solidify at least a couple of character sketches today.

Cold Heritage

QuotePersonally, I prefer the notion that the Scions are remnant bloodlines from ancient cultures and deities rather than newer iconic figures or folklore.

Unless HairyHeretic changes things, that's not how things function.

QuoteIs it safe to say that the Scions themselves don't necessarily have a grasp of the exact nature of their forebears?

Not at all. A Scion is the direct child of a god or goddess, being either the male or female parent of the Scion character. Scions only come into their power when they receive a Visitation, wherein a messenger from the character's pantheon or the divine parent personally comes to visit the character and explain that one of the character's parents was a god or goddess.

The Hero book's introductory fiction, for example, has a boy named Eric Donar get a visit from Hugin and Munin who explain that Eric's father is Thor, and info dump the game's loose setting framework.

Ixy

Then how does something like "Uncle Sam," who's really only an iconic figure of pop culture, develop sentience and become a god?

MadPanda

The Pulp Setting does have a few issues...
But for the 'canon' setting (that's, uh, everything but the 'pulp' setting), CH is right.

In Memory of Bishrook

Cold Heritage

Quote from: Ixy on May 19, 2009, 12:57:41 PM
Then how does something like "Uncle Sam," who's really only an iconic figure of pop culture, develop sentience and become a god?

The book's vague. Several of the American gods might just be older gods taken on new identities (Coyote, for example, becomes Br'er Rabbit, AKA Rascally Rabbit, and Lady Liberty is one of Athena's adopted daughters), but it's also possible that people simply believed enough and Fate created something from the raw belief of humanity.

HairyHeretic

The WW2 Pantheons I'm ignoring, because they're a bit on the silly side :) . I can see how they might develop, but at this point in time they wouldn't exist anyway, so it's kinda moot. If you want to see how belief can form things, try Neil Gaimans 'American Gods' or Sir PTerrys 'Small Gods'.

As has already been mentioned, the Scions themselves are the (mortal) sons and daughters of various Gods and Goddesses, either by blood or by adoption (there are a handfull of virgin Goddesses I believe).

In the modern Scion setting, the Scion doesn't have to belong to a suitable national or ethnic group. Their divine parent did the deed with their mortal one, and when the child reached adulthood, they got a Visitation, found out who they really are, and the nature of the World.

In this setting, it might make more sense to keep ethnic ties, but frankly, if you can give me a good enough story for why you're the son / daughter of who you are, then it's good.

If we go with ethnics, then I can see the Norse and Celtic scions hailing from the Northern States quite handily. The Chinese is represented by the labourers who worked on the railroads, so coming in from the West. It's not too big of a stretch for a Mexican to have a tie to the Aztec pantheon, and the slaves in the South (or their freed compatriots in the North) give a good in for the Loa (Voodoo).

Egyptian and Greek would probably be ok in any part of the States, though not likely that many Egyptian bloodlines. Japanese and Indian ... fairly rare I'd guess. The Atlantean is something of a wild card, and I'm sure there'll be a home brewed Native American pantheon or two on the web.

Having the books would be useful, but there should be decent enough info online for you to get an idea of it, and I have all the books, so can guide character creation. All you really need to start is a concept for the character.

Range riding bounty hunter, scion of a God of hunting.
Steampunk mad scientist, scion of a God of Smithing.
Gambler, scion of a trickster God.

There's plenty of scope.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

HairyHeretic

Here's some useful stuff

http://wiki.white-wolf.com/whitewolf/index.php?title=Fan_Made_Scion_Pantheons

Expanded Pantheons for the core stuff, and a homemade bunch.

There is a native american one there, but they don't have a pantheon specific powerset.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Ixy

Alright-- haven't yet viewed all the source material, but I have a few concepts about which I'd greatly appreciate your opinion or feedback.  Of course, these would have to be molded into creation rules and a pantheon, but they're just ideas for now.  I'm kind of leaning towards A or B.

Bounty hunter/vigilante, Scion of Vengeance
-Former soldier from MO, raider.  Left unit before the war was over because of atrocities witnessed, seeks vengeance/balance between law and chaos (as both have the same potential for evil). 
-Personality: solitary, but secretly very lonely, this young woman's tortured past returns to her frequently, and she can only stem its hold by burning evil out of this world.  As likely to assassinate a gang-leader as to depose a governor, she has no respect for authority or code.  She'd be a hardcore gunslinger and tracker, bordering on self-destructive.
-Appearance: Irish features, boasting a lovely figure despite a rugged lfestyle.  She's young in years, but ancient in the eyes, scarred and hardened in the subtle ways, a startling contrast that represents the allure of vengeance contrasted with its grisly reality.

Mystic or mesmerist, Scion of the Dead
-Absinthe-addicted, nightmare-plagued visionary haunted by visitations from the dead and visions of others' sin, she could be a gypsy, scholar from Europe, or heiress on hiatus in the dry climate for 'health reasons'.
-Personality: while fond of 'finer things', isn't ashamed of 'roughing it' and isn't likely to complain despite the personal tortures and horrific images she considers routine.  Somewhat of a nihilist, a bit of a schemer... will plot and insinuate, preferring to avoid direct confrontation.  Propensity for the exotic and collector of curiosities.  May actually travel with a carnival, or perhaps just live out of a trunk, or travel frequently and keep her remote home in the hands of a hulking, illiterate, but earnest caretaker when away on trips.
-Appearance: sleek, sexy, fanciful dress-- exotic features and characteristics.  Slight accent, haughty carriage and a shrewd, knowing smile.  Mid-to-late 20's, ebony hair and pale skin.  Perhaps piercings, tattoos, jewelry-- totems of cultural mysticism other than her own.

Circus performer, Scion of Prophecy
-Street-savvy girl, orphaned since her early childhood, with remarkable physical abilities and abnormal reaction times, balance, and courage, raised by performers and wanderers.  Seeking a destiny.
-Personality: Adventurous and utterly fearless, this girl's catlike grace and subtle glow of charm wins her admirers to the point of risk.  She's not very inhibited, though she is often brooding-- especially when alone.  She travels light, preferring to stay out of sight when alone so as not to attract unnecessary dangers. 
-Appearance: muscular and youthful, with dusky eastern skin that hints at a hodgepodge of a lineage.  She dresses in worn, mended clothing except when preforming.  No older than 19.

HairyHeretic

Either of the first two concepts sound quite workable. Depending on which pantheon appealed to you I could give you a bit more information on prospective divine parents and abilities.

Magic and Prophecy are something that all Scions have access to, though there aren't that many spells as such. What you do have is Epic attributes (strength, intelligence, charisma) all of which have associated abilities, and purviews, which are along the lines of spells or abilities, granted through relic items.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

HairyHeretic

So, does anyone else have a character concept, or are there things I need to expand on more before that is ready?

Cattle die, kinsmen die

MadPanda

You have mine, I think...   :-)  Although she's really meant for a more 'lighthearted' sort of game than you seem to have in mind.

In Memory of Bishrook

HairyHeretic

I think she'd work fine in this setting. If you'd rather come up with something different, you can.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

MadPanda

We'll give it a go.  :-)  Nobody ever said the Weird West was entirely without Teh Funneh.

In Memory of Bishrook

HairyHeretic

Cattle die, kinsmen die

HairyHeretic

Ok, so we have a couple of characters now. I'd ideally like a couple more before making a start of things. I find 4-6 is a decent size for a group game.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Muse

*Pounce!* 
\May I play? 

May I? 

Please, please, please? 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Paladin

HairyHeretic

Sure. I could use a couple more players. What've you got in mind for a concept?

Ixy, Madpanda, do you want to give a brief idea of your characters so people can see what the group consists of so far?

Cattle die, kinsmen die

HairyHeretic

Quote from: Paladin on May 22, 2009, 06:33:52 PM
I have a SCION of Hachiman.

Can you give a bit more info? The Japanese pantheon is a bit trickier to work in here, so I'd like a bit more info on this one.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Paladin

well for the game we played in he was a collector of fine arts and was a museum curator. I'm thinking he's not gonna fit in so nvm. I'm crazy to even think of getting into another game as all the ones I join just seem to die. Forget I asked man.

HairyHeretic

That concept would be a bit tricky to fit into the Deadlands setting .. I'd not say impossible, but it'd need work.

If you want to join, you're quite welcome to. We have space, and I'm sure we could sort out a character more suitable to the setting if you still wanted in.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Paladin

Seriousely dude I'll only kill your game some how. Besides theres not any other pantheon I want to play.

HairyHeretic

I'd just be wondering why a museum curator was wandering round the horror infested old west :)

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying you have to play a different pantheon .. it just might need a bit more work to get a decent character concept is all.

The choice is, of course, yours.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Paladin

I can try. I'll have to find the character first.

Muse

Haiy, do you want to do introduce any rules for unlocking the arcane secrets hidden in hoyles book of games or mad science? 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

MadPanda

Quote from: HairyHeretic on May 22, 2009, 06:36:04 PM
Ixy, Madpanda, do you want to give a brief idea of your characters so people can see what the group consists of so far?

Your wish is my command!

While she was originally thought up for a regular Scion game (see the other recent Scion request thread...), there's no reason Monkeygirl* can't show up in the Weird West as your basic wandering martial artist with a yuan for meddling in the best wuxia tradition.  You could even think of her as a female version of the main character from the old Kung Fu series, only with a laugh track and a tendency to chase skirts.

(* Okay, her given name is Chou Sulan, she's a daughter of Sun Wukong, and the best visual I can give you at the moment is to think of a slightly older and more grown up version of this young lady:)

In Memory of Bishrook

Rhapsody

Ed! Cowboy Bebop!

Also, Scion = win. 

I might be interested; we'll see how the next few days settle out in terms of my posting before I'll make a solid commitment.
|| Games I Play||
Not Available for RP
|| O&O || Requests ||  A&A ||
Current Posting Speed: 1-2 times per week

Come to me, just in a dream. Come on and rescue me.
Yes, I know. I can be wrong. Maybe I'm too headstrong.

HairyHeretic

Quote from: Muse on May 22, 2009, 08:35:51 PM
Haiy, do you want to do introduce any rules for unlocking the arcane secrets hidden in hoyles book of games or mad science?

My knowledge of Deadlands is at present pretty much limited to the background. I have no issues with the mad science, if someone is playing the scion of a smithing / crafting deity. If someone comes up with a device, we can work out Scion stats for it.

Hoyles book is for dealing with spirits, right? Right off I could see it as being a relic giving access to the death and psychopomp purviews. There's no reason we couldn't whip up some rules for getting spirits to do your bidding from that.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

MadPanda

Quote from: Rhapsody on May 23, 2009, 03:17:12 AM
Ed! Cowboy Bebop!

Edward Wong Hau Pepeliu Tivrusky the Fourth, I think it is.  And no matter how the voice actress and character design team insist that the little scamp is supposed to be a cat, she reminds me of a monkey.  Thus we have the resulting mental image of a post-puberty, late-teen Ed for my character.

Which is either proof positive that Sulan will have kids, or that her father is still around to sire children in the distant future.   :-)

In Memory of Bishrook

Ixy

Quote from: HairyHeretic on May 22, 2009, 06:36:04 PM

Absolutely. 
At this point, I'm pretty much settled on a vigilante gunslinger who sees herself as an instrument of reckoning for the injustices done by evil men.  Though not as much of a misandrist as some of Artemis' brood (though, by god, she's got reason to) and though she's always been a bit of a loner, she's also always been a bit on the lonely side, too.

I haven't taken the character's background to any particular depth yet, and am leaving a great deal of her history open until we solidify a group.  I'm pretty clear on a couple of major events, but I'm keeping this character 'semi-transparent' so I can fit her to how the story develops.

Oh, and, ah, not entirely set on the eyepatch that this image depicts, but I'm looking for some quirky things to add to keep this character from being too cookie-cutter, and I think it adds a certain vulnerability and weirdness...

HairyHeretic

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Ixy

Quote from: HairyHeretic on May 23, 2009, 05:36:18 PM
Maybe the eyepatch is a relic? :)

Maybe it is.  I still need to update that part...

Phaia

Hello, I sent Hairy a PM since I am not that familar with Whitewolf or Deadlands, but I have read about both online and love the concepts. I have been reading about Scion and various Pantheons looking for one that would fit a concept I have. So without further ado let me present my idea:

Alice Moore, so proclaimed Lady Kitterland.
Relic Thief/survivor
Scion of Bastet   http://wiki.white-wolf.com/whitewolf/index.php?title=Bastet

Alice has no idea where she was acatully born or who her father is, she was adopted by a good hearter Madam in New Orleans. There she learned to play cards, gamble, speak several languages, sneak, and thief. She also has learned a sense of honor [weird at times as it may be]

Alice likes fine things but also can 'rough' it when needed. She has a few times claimed an item was a relic just so she could pocess it. (of course that fine silk french gown with stockings and shoes just had to be some relic didnt it... and she should guard it now shouldnt she...just becuase it was in someone elses house is no reason at all) Alice has been known to just give all her winnings to street kids to help out. Alice has been compared to a cat, scratch her in the right places, toss a shiney or two and its not at all hard to get under her petticoats.

She is sensual, a bit exotic, doesnt like guns but does know how to use them, (carries a pair of 2 shot derringers), she loves a good bubble bath or to swin naked and then lay out in the sun. Alice has no problem with using her body to get things. She is very skilled at poker and other card games.

Suggested abilities; Atheltics and Dodge, Larceny, survival,stealth, awearness, some sort of gun skill and melee, knowledeg that fits.

HairyHeretic

That certainly sounds a good start. I can guide you through character creation from there.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Phaia

I am trying to post an image

Edit - ta da :)
Hairy

Phaia

grumbles, i couldnt figure out how to get the image to show in the post....grumbles

while reading things it was noted to be sure to have a good atheletics and dodge and maybe only a l;egend 2 to start giving more abilities [though of lesser strenght] i have no problem with this...i tend to perfer being capable....

*Grins* think sorta a period Catwoman but working for the gods....

had a bit of that concept when thinking up 'Lady Kitterland'... not sure what relics would work but i could see a cat or 2 as companions

MadPanda

Interested Monkeygirl gazes with great interest.  :-)

In Memory of Bishrook

Phaia

lol thanks hairy i was being blonde and couldnt figure it out and have to watch going back to edit posts

Phaia

HairyHeretic

Photobucket can be odd. I recommend doing a right click - show image on the browser to display the proper url. And you want to use the image icon, rather than the hyperlink one for showing it.

The code is [.img] address [./img], removing the dots

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Phaia

well its there now...thanks again... i dont have access to the core Scion so do not know is Bastet is in there. I used what I found at the fan site as a guide. I wanted someone witha  bit of larceny and stealth to be a relic hunter. Bastet fit nicely including that she was in japan...i have a couple of ideas for relics just not sure if they fit or would work.

I would perfer powers more along the line of stealth, illusin, befuddlement , movement instead of combat or destruction
And if alice doesnt fit I actaully had an idea for a female using the nattive american gods.

Phaia

HairyHeretic

Ok, couple of things with regard to the rules. Legend is what powers your special abilities. You can take a number of epic abilities up to one less than your legend. With legend 2, you can only have Epic <whatever> at level 1. Personally I think Legend 3 is a better choice than 2, but thats just me for you. Plus each point of Epic <whatever> gives you 1 automatic success in that ability, which is quite useful at times. 2 dots of epic, 2 successes.

Relics can do a few things. Weapons, armour, transport, stat boosting stuff are their innate powers. They also give access to the purviews (Sky, Justice, War, and so on), which allows the Scion to channel the boons of those purviews. Optionally a relic can be something simple, say a ring, that only grants access to a purview.

The more it does, the more dots it costs. Good rule of thumb, one dot per special. Weapon with stat boost (accuracy and damage), and access to the purview of justice .. 2 special things, 2 dots.

Bastet is part of the Egyptian pantheon. Coming from the deep south, one of the Loa (Voodoo) might be more suitable, but I can't remember if they have a trickster .. they probably do. There is a fan made pantheon for the native american gods, I found it last week. It looked ok.

I think you'd enjoy things like the purview of chaos and illusion (illusion is in the Ragnarok book, not the core).

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Phaia

I had considered making her teh scion of Loki but then the main aseir gods tend to hunt his scions down. the Loa had no real tricksters, I checked them...Coyote was interesting but a bit to ...umm... out there for my taste, i perfer subtle not in the face.

Legend 3 is fine by me I was reading recommendations from the fan site and they were using the 15 points for abilities example [whatever that is lol] I vaguley remember my Whitewolf days with up too 5 dots for things...
btw how much game system will this be...i tend to perfer freeform and have never really did a game system thread.

Phaia

Phaia

another i was looking at was Manannán mac Lir of the celtics and actually have an idea incorporating a scion from him...including nibbits from the Isle of Man and King of Man [which Manannán mac Lir was supposed to be]

http://wiki.white-wolf.com/whitewolf/index.php?title=The_Tuatha_De_Danann

Phaia

Phaia

HairyHeretic

Quote from: Phaia on May 24, 2009, 01:45:55 PM
btw how much game system will this be...i tend to perfer freeform and have never really did a game system thread.

System games tend to slow down a little in combat, but aside from that, they're much like freeform. The stats also come in useful for me being able to tell you what the 'orrible tentacled thing bearing down on you is .. if you have a decent occult skill :)

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Phaia

EEEEKKK 'orrible tentacled thingy....oh wait that might be fun in a weird strange anime like way

Phaia

Phaia

http://wiki.white-wolf.com/whitewolf/index.php?title=Character_Generation_in_Scion:_Hero

I was reading this as a guide not sure how effective it is for you and honestly not sure what some it means...though I can make good guesses

Phaia

HairyHeretic

I'll have a glance at it and see. Yep, thats seems fairly solid.

What do you need explained from it?

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Phaia

so what works best for a scion for alice...bastet looked good and from what I have read she explores and could easy have scions all over the place...I dont have much on the Loa but it would be fun to play a Voodon mistress **wink**...**sticks a needle into the butt of a monkeygirl voodoo doll**

Could even add in she is a fortune teller as well as card shark

hmm Blonde gypsy type perhaps...from new orleans

as you can see I am open to the scion aspect, since I am not famailar with it

Phaia

Phaia

Phaia

Looks like Legba could work...panda helpled me find a copy of the core rulls to dwonlaod...thanks panda...

Looking at legba in the Loa...not sure if alice fits for him though...i gathered he would tend toward males not females...

I do like combining larceny with intergrity, makes an interesting contract and aspect

Phaia

MadPanda

In all candor, I'm not sure Bast wouldn't work.  She's probably one of the few members of her Pantheon who would deliberately and with mischief aforethought go this far afield.   :-)  But that's really up to Hairy.

In Memory of Bishrook

HairyHeretic

I don't have a problem with Bast, if thats who you want to take Phaia.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Galanoder

Scion? Wild West? I'm so interested!

Looking through the submissions so far, you seem to be lacking a melee character, so i'll try and work something up. Hermes is a particular draw in that respect. Will you be allowing the Illusion purview from Ragnarok to be assosciated with him in that case?

Phaia

I think Bast fits well with the concept, as i said i can alter it to fit how you need hairy, Legba could work as well and has some interesting aspects, just not sure how they would fit ...suggestions are welcome here

Heck I can alter the idea completely, I do have an idea for an Indian Princess/shaman, as well as one for the Tuatha Dé Dannan

My idea was a sensual, sexy cat buglar, relic theif, rogue with a strength of purpose and character. How that fits in can be changed and altered as needed.

What works for your idea of this?

Phaia

HairyHeretic

Well, I've over 20 years behind the GMs screen, so frankly I can work with just about anything. Whatever the players want to put together in terms of characters, I can handle. Bear in mind the nature of the setting means that you are likely to see a reasonable ammount of combat, possibly with unnatural things, so I'd recommend some combat ability on each character.

The Illusion purview is fine. I have all the books, and the only thing I'm initially saying no to is the WW2 Pantheons, as they're a bit silly. Anything home made, as I long as I get a chance to look it over I'll say yes or no on a case by case basis.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Galanoder

Ok, i'll get to work on a character lickety split. I don't actually have the Companion, so i don't know what might be located in there, but the core books + Ragnarok should give me plenty to work with...

Are you capping starting legend at any particular level? I usually boost it up to 3 to start (and i really want to with this character), but i've heard some STs have players stick it at 2.

Phaia

have to also realize you are adding in Deadlands. Ghost rock is an importnat aspect of that, was wondering how you will fit that in. Bones of some long dead titan? god? I can see how the reckoners could fit into a scion settings, some sort of anicent titan or maybe just a disguise.

Is there still a USA and CSA? the blasted west coast? and the monsters and horror of deadlands?

I can work in melee and combat, after all Alice may not like guns but that does not mean she cant use them. I tend to see Alice as more of a shadow scout type hitting combat from the rear and sides, or trying to lure the enemy into that cavalry unit over at the fort, or into the guns of the posse.
When pushed and backed into a corner though she would fight and be nasty at it.

let me do some more research, I have an idea i created for the deadlands setting i may be able to translate, its has very adult aspects to it. I am also thinking that using Coyote might be interesting...

It would be a Great trick to use a white yellow haired female to correct the problems started by the spirit dancers and the reckoners.

http://wiki.white-wolf.com/whitewolf/index.php?title=The_Anasazi_%28Fan%29  the trickster...

HairyHeretic

Legend 3 is fine.

I will be using the Deadlands background pretty much as is, except it is a titan rather than the reckoners behind things. The big spell was designed to let loose a titan, but it didn't work properly. The titan is still bound, but dreaming, and close to waking. His dreams are what is twisting the world, releasing monsters and so on.

He can communicate with his spawn through the dreams, though not in terms of detailed instructions.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

HairyHeretic

Companion adds a few new powers, new boons, and new pantheons. I can have a look through it and see if there's anything particularly useful to a melee character after I go take my soak.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Paladin

Quote from: HairyHeretic on May 24, 2009, 03:09:33 PM
Well, I've over 20 years behind the GMs screen, so frankly I can work with just about anything. Whatever the players want to put together in terms of characters, I can handle. Bear in mind the nature of the setting means that you are likely to see a reasonable ammount of combat, possibly with unnatural things, so I'd recommend some combat ability on each character.

The Illusion purview is fine. I have all the books, and the only thing I'm initially saying no to is the WW2 Pantheons, as they're a bit silly. Anything home made, as I long as I get a chance to look it over I'll say yes or no on a case by case basis.

I've got an internet source for the Gregori and nephihim and Angels. Can that be used? I think that might fit better than my SCION of Hachiman.

HairyHeretic

Throw me the link and I'll have a look at it.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Paladin

Quote from: HairyHeretic on May 24, 2009, 04:48:38 PM
Throw me the link and I'll have a look at it.

I don't know if I have the Link but I did save it to my PC in Word. Will dropping it in a PM work?

HairyHeretic

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Paladin

Paladin

Ok Hairy Its sent. I sent everything I had. Hope you like some of it. Let me know what you like and don't like.

Muse

Daniel Bruce, Scion of Hephistus. 

Raised in Florida by a hard assed village blacksmith who took discipline and toughening him up a tad bit too far and an abusive mother, the pain of his childhood made him by some miracle all the more caring for the pain of others, and in particular a lover and protector of women. 

He was also known even before awakening for muscles honed at the forge and fists hardened on stone and steel. 

At age seventeen, after defeating his father in a rite of passage fight, Daniel went North to apprentice at a Sears and Robards steam car factory.  He started working the manufacturing floor 13 hours a day, then followed the beautiful rear end of a magnificent blond into Dr. Ferigno's lab, and wound up participating in a discusion on handling with Dr. Ferigno and his brilliant, beautiful assistant, the busty, blue eyed, barely haired beauty Sandra Cinders.  In a paradise of car talk and blond companionship, Daniel passed the night, and found himself with a part time job as Dr. Ferigno's assistant.  Over the next 3 seasons he worked 8 hours a day on the factory floor, and then 4 for Dr. Ferigno.  On the factory floor, he suffered rage issues stemming from his violent childhood that he tried to turn on steel and brick rather than his co-workers, but ultimately a fool who'd already tried to goad him thrice and been divered by the foreman caught him without external athority and stepped up with an insulting snear on his lips. 

Not a single word escaped his lips, before Daniel's fist hit them and a moment later, a pace or so back, he hit the ground.  The fool's face would never be so pretty, or so smug, again.  Daniel washed the blood of his knuckled and went back to work. 

The next day the plant manager called him up for a game of pool, after which he was congratulated on a damned mean right cross, offered a drink, formaly fired, and left with a strong suggestion that he go see doctor Ferigno. 

The good doctor was chuckling from under an engine, though his assistant was rather distraught from where she was working on her plans.  "Ah, Mr. Daniels, good, good.  Took us long enough to get you off of that factory floor.  Your contract is on the table.  12 hours a day at aprentice sallary.  Even without a university education I'm sure at the rate you've been learning I'll be wiring Mr. Hellstrom about getting you a journeyman salary in a few years.   Now get me a ratchet wrench and a 7 ounce chunk of ghostrock." 

Daniel froze for a moment, sure his ears, damaged by years at the forge and on the line, where lying to him, then he met Miss Cinder's happy smile in a face pale with recently shed tears, grinded wildly, and replied, "Sure thing, boss," as he tied back his hair. 

It was a half year of happily discovering exactly what his back country brain were truly capable of that he discovered the dark side of the factory, the deepest basemet where the shambling corpses worked the foundries, and why the normally cheery and affectionate within the boundries of propriety Miss Cinder would burst into quite, unexpected tears every few months, her brothers corpse enslaved in the foundry. 

"It's the stupidest thing, isn't it, Mr. Bruce," she whispered in his arms one evening when Daniel had carried her into a back office and held her through a crying fit.  "That bastard Hellstrom tortured my parents to death when they wouldn't work for him, and then held my brother hostage down in his foundry so just to squeeze a bit of work out of me.  Two years later i discover he's been dead along, just a dead man walking, and I still can't leave here while he's down there." 

Daniel dreamed for the next thirteen days of having the courage to be the one man army that would cut through that nightmare cavern of a foundry to steal a walking corpse and dash away with it and the girl.  Every night, he dreamed of the sword he would do it with. 

On the fourteenth day, tears poured from Sandra's blue eyes again, and Daniel new what he was going to do.  He took her back and held her while she cried, but this time, after he kissed her tears away, he didn't kiss her forehead, he kissed her lips with strength and passion, until the older woman's breath caught in her throat and her heart hammered in her breast.  First she froze, then she struggled, but he held her close.  She beat his breast, then she stopped, going limp in his arms as her lips responded to his.  For a moment, she moaned weakly as her lips responded tenatvly.  All at once the blond gasped and squeezed his waist and joined her lips to Bruce's deserpatly. 

A few joyful moments later Bruce unlocked her arms and broke the kiss.  He spoke huskily, "Never cry again, Miss Cinders, I'm going to take care of you."  He left her then and went to work in his shop.  For three weeks he worked in his part time, late into the night, 'til everything was ready, everything but the sword. 

The sword he'd dreamed off and seen so clearly 'til the moment he kissed Miss Cinder, Bruce could no longer remember but a fuzzy steel blurr with a silver heart.  What was its name again? 

The swords he tried were failures, in the end he took with his guns and tricks a few knives and a sledgehammer. 

Slipping in after hours, he slipped, then fought his way down to the bottom, then fought his way through the the hungry undead.  Their guards came out with their gun hands and their axes.  At first they could not slow the armored colusus, but when he spotted the zombie he came for at the back of the crowd and tried to fight to it, the undead pulled him down, teeth and claws ripping and tearing through his armor to feed. 

Struggling desperately to get up, he heard a voice, familiar and not.  "Get up, son.  I'm here with you, and I brought your sword, I brought Silver Heart.  Since I've been at my forge working it for you since you dreamed the ore." 

"What, father, your...  Your not...  You're..." 

"Get up, son!" 

Bruce growled, that was not his father's voice, but it was a challange he'd rissen too before, and his blood was on fire with strength and power.  Arms thicker than most men's legs flexed and zombies flew in all directions, over and over, and then the newly awakened Scion was on his feet with the awakening ichor still a fire greater than any liquor and many women still burning in his viens. 

The great bare of a man with the twisted legs supported by clockwork cyclopes bellowed in glee, "That's my boy," and he tossed to Bruce a great hand and a half bastard sword, which he drew and cleaved into the dead with strength indescribable, 'til he reached the one zombie he'd come here for and hesitated for a crucial moment trying to find how to incipacitate it without defiling it too badly for the funeral.  In that moment the zombie of Jeffry Cinder threw itself on his sword, piercin him to the heart while other walking dead closed in all around. 

Bruce clicked a stud as he turned away, drawing with one hand a silver gladius from within the blade of the long, broad steel sword.  He turned clear around to cleave off his lady love's head.  Hephistus left his own battles with the zombies to bag the head, then Bruce reached him and he had a clockwork cyclops release him to carry it.  They dashed wildly up and out of the factory to where Bruce had packed a cycle with side car and ghost rock engine.  The god handed him a bag.  "You'll need these son.  We don't have long.  You've got to be careful when you use Ghost Rock, it's a pwoerful tool, but that screaming smoke is the souls of the damned being released to spread fear throughout the world.  The titan ______ was half released by an indian magician named Raven who thoght that old monster would drive the White Men back over the sea if he got free.  But the titans aren't like that, they only want this world to torture and ultimatly destroy, and _____ is all about fear, it's his tool, in the end it will break his chains if you and the rest of the children of the gods don't teach the mortal world some courage while we gods fight our own fight in our own world." 

"Um...  Okay, I think I've got that, as much as I can hope to...  Um...  Dad.  You're hephistus, right?  And i really am your son?" 

"Flesh of my flesh, blood of my blood, by a mortal woman as beautiful as she was intelegent, and that burning in your blood right now is my blood awakening within you, the strength you feel now will never leave you, only grow." 

"Then why not her, why the man you left me with and, em..." 

Hephistus shook his head.  "Sorry, Bruce.  I know the woman I left you for a mother was a bitch to make Hera's proud on her worst days and look in a mirror with disgust on her best, it was the foster father I chose them for.  I didn't have the time to raise you myself, and I knew you were going to need some skills.  More importantly, I knew you needed to be strong in every sense of the word.  I have some personal experience with how the right kind of tough old bastard can make the right kind of son strong in all the right ways.  I apologise for what you had to go through to become the man you are today, but for what it's worth I'm very proud of the man you are.  Now go find the girl you did all this insanity for and make her scream in eccstacy.  There's still a few hours 'til sunrise, take your time, if I find out you had any satsifaction before sunrise, or that she hasn't screamed in eccstacy at least a baker's dozen times by sunset, I'll sick Aphrodyte on you, I swear it!" 

Phaia

great post Muse and great encouragement... so here goes my updated and changed character:

Alexandra Catherina Moorland
Scion of Bastet
Magic and relic hunter
Virtue of Vengeance and conviction
Nature: Rogue

Lord Richard Moorland was the youngest son, and N’er-do-well, of an English baron. Lord Richard traveled the world having adventures and gambling, meeting all sorts of ‘folks’ and building contacts from Bombay to New York. It was while in Egypt that he had what would become his biggest adventure and gamble.
Playing in a high stakes card game Richard became aware of the ancient relics being offered to cover the bets. Though most thought that he had no idea of honor, Richard in fact had a very strong sense of conviction and used his card skills to claim as many of the relics as he could. Leaving the Russian lord and his servants in disarray he fled the city carrying the items deep into the desert in hopes of returning them somehow.
Alone and near death one night a woman walked out of dunes to stand over him, cat headed and beautiful. Richard, who knew things, realized he was in the present of Bastet. Thinking he was dead he offered the items and just requested his family be told of his efforts.
A week later Richard awoke in Cairo dazed, half remembered nights of passion and healing in his head.
Some months past as Richard rebuilt his stake and was about to leave the lands of the pharaohs, when at dawn Bastet again appeared to him. Handing him a new born baby girl, wrapped in cotton, golden hair and pale skin, “this is your Daughter, raise her well, teach her your skills and values, she can walk places the children of the pharaohs cannot, one day I will come for her and teach her what her bloodline can do… till then, my knight, watch over her and love her as I do.”
With that the Queen of the cats, goddess Bastet vanished, leaving behind the stunned gentleman and the now awake baby girl in his arms.

So began the life of Alexandra, “ally” or “kitten” to her father, “Alex” to most others. Traveling the world she learned at her father’s elbow, cards and other games, how to read a person by his ticks and quirks. How honor and conviction were as important as the bluff.
As they travelled Lord Richard became well known among those that were true poker players. Building contacts from Bombay to New York, winning, lossing ... living Life.

Alex learned many things while traveling, she spoke and read several languages, learned all about the fences and con men that traveled in the same circles her father did and how to tell the good from the bad. On one trip she learned to fight in a strange style part dance part art, taught to her by an aged black servant that claimed to owe her mother, capoeira helped her train her body as well as her mind and lift with dance. She learned her father took a dim view on cheaters, even though he could have shown them all up, it was after all skill and luck that won a hand not cheating. She watched as he used his skills to sew vengeance on those he deemed deserving and helped those in need.
Rules often just got in the way and were oft times ignored as long as the ‘righteousness’ of the action was proper.

Alex and her father had traveled to the new world and were on a river boat when she turned 16. It was there that everything came apart. Three men at a table became convinced her father had cheated, drunk, they had lost their money, the ghost rock they carried and their pride and before anyone could react all three attacked Lord Richard, killing him in front of Alex. Grabbing the sobbing girl as they fought their way from the boat they plunged into the deep river and swam dragging her along. Reaching the shore they each took their turn with the girl and left not thinking any more on the subject.

Alex survived and woke filled with a fire deep and powerful. Making her way back to the river boat she gathered up what remained of the family wealth and set out. It took her 18 months to find each of the three men. Using abilities she barely recognized, she killed the first, with a knife in the back, as he left a brothel in New Orleans. The second she tracked to a cattle drive near Kansas City, leaving him hanging at the end of a rope. The third was the roughest, she allowed herself to again be in his hands, to be ravaged by him, this time she was ready and as he thrust into her, she drove her hair needles into each eye, fighting to survive as her tried to straggle her till his breath stilled. Finally rolling over, covered in the man’s blood with part of him still thrust deep into her, she felt a freedom and stillness then nearly jumped as the woman’s voice spoke.

“Well done my daughter, I see that you have already begun to learn what are your birthright and the power that goes with it. I am called Bastet and am your mother and come to teach you”

Alex left and by the time she was 18, she was in Egypt. Learning at her mother’s side, she began to understand things. She came to see the world and the conflict and though she felt proud to be Bastet’s daughter she also came to realize how staid and closed off most of the Egyptian gods were.
Her mother gifted her with a fan, called Fan of the sun, made for her when she was in Japan and part of set, the other ‘Fan of the Moon’ had been stolen from another of her children. That and a locket of a golden cat that both helped her talk to the cats as well as move as silent as one. The final gift before she left was deck of tarot cards, for like her mother, Alex had the gift of Prophecy and could see things using the cards.
Heading back to the new world with instructions to watch and help the mortals for the unnamed titan that had tricked the natives, though dreaming was influencing and forcing things. It was her duty to stop it and to stop the spread of unholy magic and find the relics lost and stolen and in the hands of those unworthy.

Along the way Alex took a few lovers and began to enjoy sex and the pleasure it gave, ready to jump fully into learning about it, her curiosity nearly overwhelming her good sense.

So she had headed back to the new world. A world filled with conflict and danger. North vers South, Indian vers the white man, fear and horror stalking all and as she stood on the docks of New Orleans , now the age of 22, she knew she was ready for the biggest gamble yet...that of being a scion.

Phaia

there ya go Hairy, now I need help fleshing out the character per Scion rules, been reading over the core rule and have some ideas if ya want.
I hope that I didnt change her background idea too much for her, but went more indepth and with the aspect of her being from egypt. and still stayed with the gambler/rogue/congirl [as needed] aspect

Phaia

HairyHeretic

Yep, that looks good. Are you able to create the character yourself, or do you need to sit down with me on messenger or something and work through things there?

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Phaia

well is it a base character? any past xp to spend? gifts? free relics or items? I have all sorts fo ideas from a derringer from her father with unlimited ammo to the fan of the sun [preview sun] that also works as a bo stick

let me check with ya in msn in a few , still finishing up grilling and dinner

Phaia

HairyHeretic

Normal character creation rules. Relics are whatever you choose to spend your points on.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Phaia

and ya said you perfer us being legend 3 right [ 8 bonus points right there if i understand it right ] **pouts**

Phaia

HairyHeretic

I think legend 3 is a good choice, but the character creation is entirely down to the individual. Legend 2,3 or 4 is fine.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

HairyHeretic

Quick question. Do you have a preference for meeting up in the first scenario, or would you prefer to be working together as a band already?

Cattle die, kinsmen die

MadPanda

Meeting engagments can be fun, but if we've already worked together it gets around poor first impressions.   :-)

In Memory of Bishrook

Phaia

takes a bit of work for a band and implys we already have earned some sort of legends, reknown, infamy

doesnt matter to me

Phaia

Phaia

as for poor first impression, HA!!! I am scion of the queen of cats, You All serve me... lets get that straight **winks** now go draw me a milk bath and fine some silly shiny to entertain me.

Phaia

MadPanda

Do I get to watch you bathe?  Huh?  Huh?  Kitty want a few pets, huh?   ;D  Oooo...

In Memory of Bishrook

Paladin

I'll work on a character at the end of the week if my punishment is up by then and if Hairy will still have me in his game.

Phaia

Phaia

hairy I changed a bit in Alex's background per our chat....
Capoeira is now her martial art form... :D now i have to get a good visualiztion of it too desrcibe her movements

Phaia

Ixy

Ok... this is a bit long, so I apologize.  I'm not putting expectations on it, just offering it if you're interested because I really felt like writing it.  The tone's a bit stilted, I hope... that's what I was going for.  It's intended to be a brief memoir from my character herself, as if somehow she decided she'd try to explain, in a letter to no one in particular, just how she came to be what she is.  For the story itself, I plan on writing 3rd person.  I included a brief outline at the end in case you don't care for the long-form.  :)

To ...
To whom it may concern,
To someone,

To the tavern owner from Red Flint,

My name is Katie Sinclair.  This letter is in regard to my recent visit to your hotel, for which I paid in advance.  This is the same hotel from which I left without paying reparations for the damages caused when I shot four men to death in the hotel saloon.  For that I am truly sorry and regret that I can't offer any sum in compensation, though you can probably sell the guns they were carrying and tried to use on me for a tidy sum, and I encourage you to do so before your weaseley coward of a sheriff pockets them and sells them himself.

I was the girl in the black, seal-skin coat with the ostrich boots and flat-brimmed black hat they call the "Reno style".  You remarked that my accent was rather southern, and asked if I was from that direction.  I concurred only in that I was from that political vicinity if not that geographical orientation. 

I wore an eye-patch as well if you must know, though you didn't seem to mind it.  I found that reassuring about you; I am not vain, but some think me pretty to look upon and have told me as much.  However, other people with something to hide seem to avoid my gaze, as if that black patch might hold some secret to their shame. 

One such men-- one of the four I later killed-- was there when I checked in and asked me if I was a working whore or an aspiring one.  I did not kill him at that moment because he was alone, and he was not the man I was sent for.  I am certain that this is sufficient reminder, for your face blushed with shame to hear a woman insulted, but you lacked the courage to respond in kind.

That is just as well, and I do not blame you.  If I learned anything from the war, it's that any man can be a killer, but that this is not necessarily a good thing.

Out there in the cattle country, few of us asked for the war that came; a dedicated few were so kind as to bring it to us-- all of us, regardless of our feelings on secession.  I was no more than sixteen when the war found me, and when it did it was relentless and cruel.  There is nothing left of me that was before, I think.

My folks were immigrants, not terribly poor, but set on finding solid footing where there was opportunity.  I think perhaps they had always been strange-- we had few visitors, even at Christmas.  When we attended church, which was almost every Sunday, we sat our own pew.  I believe they hoped to be something more than they had been before, but I don't know what appealed to them so much of solitude. 

Sometimes, a man would call on my mother.  Somehow, it was always the nights that my father was gone on a fortnight's herd drive to trade cattle, or when he was gone to town for a single evening, which he did often, sometimes with a quiet resolution and sometimes with cursing and speaking in their old tongue, which they only used to fight.  (Consequently, I never managed to master it, for the one time I'd tried a word out on mother she'd striped my legs with a switch in trade.)  He was kind to me... he bade me call him 'uncle' and he brought gifts sometimes, and always a small something for my mother.

I could not, though I did try, be fond of him, for I heard them some nights.  When I stayed up awake in the upstairs room, hearing their breathing and noises-- what I'd first thought, with some horror, were pain-- echoing off the hewn wood and plaster of my cramped loft room, I knew that he'd done to her what was more than my father had.  Then I wondered if he even was my father, for when I learned the nature of life's beginnings it was clear enough that this 'uncle' had been engaging in that same act with my mother, and evidently brought it some purpose and enthusiasm.

I felt a little shame over my disdain for him, though I hated him to show favor or smile toward any of my brothers or sisters over me.  He even tried to teach me things, and bade me go to school without exception, to run there and back for miles every day to build my constitution, and to learn the hunting and shooting crafts with earnest. He was as much a father to me through his sparse visits as my own, and he shaped my path as much with one request or command as my father with a year's teachings and lectures.  This was well enough until that time that I mentioned, when the war changed everything for us all.

In Missouri, the war wasn't ranks of blue and gray coats, waving banners and billows of black smoke in line.  It was raids-- if not under the guise of some martial goal, they'd have been called vicious crimes, with jayhawker raids and Missourian raids right back, it was a canvas of fire stretched on frames of bones, and it was painted in the blood of farmers and craftsmen and children and wives.  We were set to leave our ranch when the raids intensified, though I knew not where we would migrate for my father had lost most of his cattle and money.  And then we were raided by jayhawkers ourselves, with no more cause than our existence. 

I remember it was midsummer, and I still wore my church-dress, as did my mother.  They came upon us on the road, out of the cane and thickets without even firing a shot at first-- they could tell we were unarmed.  Then father was shot through and through, and sadly didn't die until well after the mess was done.  They cut pieces from him in a fashion that was something like the preparation of a fresh kill, then stretched him and my brothers while my mama and I were impressed upon to watch.  The display wasn't only for our benefit, and they made brutal and quick work of my mother and I both.  After several repetitions of their assaults upon us, the likes of which I'd no preparation for, I lost the time and fell into a stupor that blocked the horror, humiliation, and pain of the experience

If I seem, reader, to recall these events with some distance, it is not because they have lost their sting.

Perhaps the most inexplicable of this was that I somehow expected 'Uncle' to arrive-- to charge in with men and slay the Jayhawkers with the ease he'd turned a coin over the back of his hand.  Why did I?  Because I knew, somewhere in my mind, that he simply could, but that he would not.  It's like I could feel him, feel his disgust, feel him give up on us.  Maybe he'd already given up on us before we were attacked, before my brothers were hanged and my mother's face bashed in with a rifle butt.  But I knew then that he was renouncing me... casting me aside, and I could hear it plain as day, as if he were there.  "This is all the fight you have?"

And that, somehow, shamed me more than the rape, for it left me hopeless, as if death could be no worse nor better than the shame of being unwanted forever.

But I did live... they meant to shoot me to death for sport, but somehow I did not die.  Half naked and half dead, I staggered many miles to the church, back to where we'd come from.  Some had lingered on to picnic in the sun, though we were not invited-- of course-- and that was how I found them.   They were finishing their picnics on the green lawn of the Nazarene lawn, and here I came from the treeline, bloodied, a bullet nested in my hair where it'd skimmed my temple and no tears-- naught but blood from a ruined eye where their bullet did come to rest.  Somehow the eye was missing, as if a crow had plucked it from me. 

I am sorry, reader, for the grisly details. They swore I'd die of the wound, that the eyes were too crucial.  But though I lost the eye forever, I found a vision of revenge.

Two years hence, I was with Quantrill.  You may be asking, reader, how a girl could be among Quantrill's men, for they could not afford the luxury of companionship or servants.  Well, I shall confess, with no shame, that it was as a young man.  Young as I was and thin of frame, I cropped my hair and did not bathe in the open, and managed to pass myself as a young man of early teenage years.  While this, of course, did not afford any more respect than if I'd been a woman in a leopard suit, it did allow me passage into their ranks.  It allowed me to carry a gun in the open, allowed me to stay alongside those rough men who I came to regard as revenging angels, holy warriors in a shadowy war.  I personally witnessed the death of government officers, agents of the bank and the railroad, small detachments of soldiers-- and to speak plainly, though it risk your sympathetic ear, I must admit that I loved it.

Please, reader, forgive that I took so much pleasure from bushwhacking for a whole year of my life.  Forgive that I took greater joy out of caressing the heavy hammer of a colt .45 than I did when I had my first monthly and knew I was becoming a woman.  Please understand that in my heart was a cold furnace, desperate for a fire again, kept alive only by the kindling, dimming glow of hate and pain.  Forgive that I sat among men and hid my sex so that they spoke plainly of things that no proper girl should hear.  Forgive that rather than courting I learned to shoot a sentry between the eyes at two hundred yards.  Forgive that I was shown how to slit a man's neck with a buck-knife and taught to practice on a hog's neck.  Forgive that I stole the hardtack off a jayhawker's body while he was still breathing, bleeding, and choking on his life just so I could have breakfast.

I know that, given time enough as a raider, I'd have died a bloody death, and I reckon with some certainty that a righteous god would have been suited fine by that arrangement.  But it wasn't until it went wrong, I suppose, that I learned how things should be right.  My band's raiding took a vicious turn following the torching of the town of Crawford, where the largest band of jayhawkers we'd ever heard of had nailed the doors shut on the church and let fire take half the town's populace-- old folks, women, and children all that remained by now.  Many of my own band had friends or relatives there, but my captain-- yes, we used that term, as unregulated as we were-- his sweetheart had been there, and it was this defilement that set us to the cruelest of paths.

Seventeen months into my time with Quantrill, I was accepted as a young, but ruthless and hard, soldier.  That changed, though, when my closest compatriots left that band, urging me along, and we set upon the home of a suspected jayhawker's family, where his sisters and mother lived.  Quantrill might have looked the other way if we'd sought his approval, but his lietenants would not have allowed it.  So we went at it alone, without the rest of the band, and separated from our troupe by a half-week's ride. 

There, my compatriots committed the very atrocities that had destroyed my family and sundered my heart.  I watched, I thought, and I wept my first tears in a year.  And then I killed my compatriots.  You see, I intend not to glorify my methods or to justify my deeds, but I set this forth as a record of the truth.  And the truth is that I killed them one after the next with a precision and certainty that I had not known I possessed, as if my hand was guided by some other, more certain, warrior's grace.

Understandably, this sudden change of heart from one beardless youth of a soldier was for naught in regard to changing the villagers' hearts, and I was hunted for many a day.  Had I not been spent already, have wasted my horse in the frenzied thrill of vengeance already, perhaps I'd have stood a chance.  But I was captured, disarmed, and beaten.

They called me a girlish lad.  Pretty except for the eye.  And they started to do to me what I'd seen done before.  On the stony flat of a dried creekbed, among the sweet grasses and reeds, they made to take a boy's ass and, instead, were aghast to see a young woman's.  Some were put aback by the shock of it all, but not the leader, who said it would work just as well however he decided to proceed.  He would not, however, get the chance.

I heard a voice, then, and I could feel the sweep of feathery wings among the boughs of the pines about me.  There was something else present, something that had watched me forever, as long as I'd known breath, and that something was ready for me.  A woman's voice, clear as the slick glaze of dew that covered the ground, resonant as the rending of an ancient tree, and pure and living and beautiful.  "You were cast aside once, child, for being defeated."  And then her face was clear in my gaze and I could smell the musk and honey and oil of her.  She was beautiful beyond measure, and seemed to be two things at once-- she was a matron in a black dress, she was a goddess in golden armor, like the engraving in my mother's book of histories that spoke of Rome and Greece.  She was all in one, and she carried a bow and arrow.  "You won't be defeated again."

And I wasn't.

'The gun in my hand must have come from one of the posse's hip-holsters, I must have slipped it free,' I thought stupidly.  I couldn't fathom that she was even real, much less that she'd placed an armament before me and given me a fighting chance.  The gun was heavier than any I'd held, but it felt so right for me that I knew, before I'd even drawn the hammer for my first shot, that I would slay them all. 

Somehow, my days with the raiders were done, and I set out for the west.  I met the woman again that first night, when she guided me to a stream and bathed me.  She knew of my life, my pain, and promised that it was necessary, that the shell must first be broken before the eagle can hatch.  She spoke of things I'd read of in books, whispered names for me to never forget.  She made love to me in the way women may, and helped to heal my heart and my body in ways I'd never thought I'd recover.  She gave me a silver eye to take the place of what I'd lost, to teach me that nothing is ever gone forever. 

I left the war behind forever that night.  I cover the eye as she instructed, keeping it safe until I need its vision to guide me, and I rove the western territories as I have for two years since.  I have aged my nineteenth year on earth, but know that this time I've been granted is not some trinket to be passed along.  I've been given a purpose, one that I was made for and am being made for still.  Mankind is like the coyote, starved for the taste of blood, but there are beings in this world who want nothing more than to rend it apart-- to do to all what was done to my family, to the innocents, with no hope of redemption for those that survive it.  This must not be, my friend-- for you, reader, who am I to say are not already upon that path?  But you must know that there will be a reckoning, and that when the time comes, your choice must be made already- -else, it will be made in your stead.

Sir, I apologize.  I only meant to send you this ten dollar note to cover the cost of repairs for your hotel, and here I've filled several pages with my scrawling print, so much that I may run out of ink before I can sign it.  You're very kind if you have read this far, sir.  I don't have many to write letters to, and I don't tend to write them more than once, so you can rest assured that I won't be the death your carrier's horse.  Your hotel was quite nice, and your wife cooked very good biscuits.  They reminded me of home.

Sincerely,
Katie Sinclair

So, summary:
Katie was raised in Missouri, where her divine visited occasionally.  Her family was killed in a guerrilla raid, and she was raped and nearly killed-- losing one eye permanently.  Even worse, the loss of her brothers and the shame of her failure to save her family triggered a spurning hatred from the misogynistic deity, who renounced her.

She joined a band of guerrilla fighters by posing as a young man and became quite an adept fighter, though she killed several of her allies when they took part in a particularly brutal counter-attack on a Kansas township.  She was hunted down and very nearly killed, but her adoptive deity took possession of her-- Artemis gave her a fighting chance, and she took it.

Since then, she's been a vigilante on the range, seeking a true cause to define her life.

Phaia

acck I have to step my writing up...lovely Ixy

I think Alex and Katie will work well together, they both have similar backgrounds but with different twists. Looking forward to the interplay.

So we have what now, 2 scions for the greeks and one from the egyptians... come on peoples this sounds like it'sgonna be a grand adventure!!

Phaia

zothab

If there's still place for another, I'm keen. Though it looks like you've got 4/5 at the moment. So who knows.

I'm a bit of WW/Deadlands vet, never played (or seen) Scion though.

Some character thoughts include:

Catholic Priest roaming the west, trying to stop the spread of evil. Probably a scion of one of the saints, I guess. Would need to read more.

A Native American tracker. Less surprised than most to discover he's divine progeny.

A Railway Man. Taming the west with a combination of Steel and Steam. Though, it seems there's already of Scion of Hephaestus. Oh well.

A poor, misfortunate, Irish immigrant, fleeing west trying to find some luck. Son of Lugh - but until now totally failing to live up to his bloodline.

Ixy

Phaia-- truly, I think they'll hit it off well.  I appreciate the compliment... it was kind of tough to write because I was trying to emulate the tone of the civil war letters I've read, and I may try to revise it.  Your writing's perfectly lovely; you needn't "step up" a thing :)

Bathoz-- It would be very cool to have a Native American pantheon to possibly add to the western tone, and since we're working in a fictionalized setting I think you could draw from a wide variety of sources.  When you mentioned the priest, I immediately thought of the Loa... nothing like a good ole voodoo priest.  Hope something works out for you... as far as the railway man?  Yeah, MadPanda's engineer is in that vein already, but there's not necessarily anything to preclude collaboration..?  Anyhow, of course it's up to Hairy, but I wish you luck.

Muse-- I'm gonna go out on a limb here and guess that Daniel's sort of an alpha-type? ;)  If there's one thing Daniel, Katie, and Alex have in common so far, it appears to be that they're all rebels in some sense.  I guess that's to be expected when you've got someone with divine powers... the established order may be insufficient to their needs.

MadPanda and Paladin... can't wait to see more of what you guys will be rolling out. 

HairyHeretic

Sounds like we have a decent sized band then.

bathoz, what do you need in terms of help to get a character up and running? Paladin was also thinking about using the Elohim (I presume you mean that pantheon, so correct me if I'm wrong). Don't think we have any Native Americans or Irish about.

Muse, are you going the steampunk mad scientist angle with your scion?

Cattle die, kinsmen die

MadPanda

Ixy--

Good question!  That will depend on where my whimsy takes me and how well I do at copying the style of Journey to the West.

I'm thinking of Sulan as the junior member of the team, if we've been together for a while--she's possibly one of the youngest members, at least.

Here's a bit of what I'm thinking:

Ask the Monkey's Daughter about her mother three times, and you shall hear four tales, each taller than the last.  Ask after her father and she will spin a story about the man who married her mother and raised her.  Ask about her real father, and she will recite the first eight chapters of Journey to the West in a singsong voice while picking your pocket and stealing your watch.

What is known is this:

There was a man named Chou in San Francisco who made his coin selling the dishes of his native province to the homesick Celestials in the Land of the New Moon.  He was a widower, and without an heir.  One morning, on the anniversary of his beloved wife's death, he received a visit from a priest from the local temple.  After blessing the kitchen and exchanging small talk, the priest took him aside and spoke thusly.

"Know this, Chou, I have received a vision from the Benevolent Goddess Herself.  She wishes you to go, now, to the docks. There you will find a ship from China with a hold full of daughters bound for the fancy houses of the big-nosed barbarians."

"I cannot!  Who will mind my restaurant?"

The priest ignored him and continued.  "There you will find among the cargo a woman for the People of She, slight of build but with big feet.  Buy her.  Pay whatever the barbarians ask and bring her back here."

Again, Chou complained: "What need have I of a woman with big feet?  I cannot go..."

"The Boddhisatva will provide.  Would you flout the will of the Benevolent Goddess?"

Grumbling, Chou went forth and found that all was as the priest said: a ship, arrived that very hour from China, had a hold full of Celestial daughters!  For hours he tried in vain to find a woman as described, all the while lamenting the fate of his restaurant.  Finally, he found a barbarian in a fine suit who was arguing with one of the sailors over a slight woman with unbound feet.  The sailor insisted that the other man had not paid for the woman, and the barbarian insisted that she was not what he intended, as she was both mute and with child.

Seizing the chance, Chou haggled with the sailor for only a few minutes before the man handed him the woman for a mere four bits!  The other barbarian tore at his beard and cursed good-naturedly, and then went on his way.  Leading his new property back to his restaurant, Chou found that the priest was as good as his word...better, for the place was prepared for a wedding feast.

"What is this?  Who has come to my restaurant to be wed?"

"You and your new wife," the priest smiled.  "Do you doubt the will of the Benevolent Goddess?"

"I cannot marry!  I am too old!"

"There are sages older than you who become fathers."

"She bears another man's child!"

"A child who will know only your kindly guidance, and will surely give you all due respect."

"What of her family?"

"They sent her here, where she might never find a good and virtuous husband of Chinese blood."

Chou sighed heavily, nodding his resignation.  "Very well!"

Thus Chou took the silent young woman to wife, and for many months he was very happy: she repaid his kindness with dutiful and obedient care, and he found that his lonely heart was not grown stone cold even after so long.  Then came the time for her confinement, and the priest returned, uneasy and troubled.

"Chou, I have received another visit from the Benevolent Goddess."

"Yes, what is it?  I have done as she asked, and my life is good.  What may I do to serve?"

"You must...the child she bears...No matter what happens, Chou, you must never admit that the child is not yours.  Do you understand?"

Chou frowned.

"That will not be easy!  My neighbors all know that my wife was with child when I married her..."

"They may talk.  But the child must never learn the truth from your lips, no matter what.  No matter what!"

Solemnly, Chou vowed that he would never speak of the matter to his child.  Satisified with this answer, the priest departed in some haste.

Within the week, Chou beheld his new daughter for the first time, and he marveled at what he saw: she had a full head of flame-red hair and eyes the color of molten gold!  Remembering the priest's admonition, he looked upon his shame-faced wife and forced himself to smile.

(to be continued)

In Memory of Bishrook

Galanoder

Ok, here's my contrubition to the Band. Jenny Falstaff, swordmistress, trickster and general all round physical powerhouse.

QuoteName: Jenny Falstaff
Player: Galanoder
Calling: Physical Paragon
Nature: Competitor
Pantheon: Dodekatheon
God: Hermes

ATTRIBUTES

Physical (Priority 1)

Strength   OOOO/**
*Dexterity OOOO/**
Stamina    OOO/**

Social (Priority 3)

Charisma     OOO
Manipulation OO
Appearance   OO

Mental (Priority 2)

Perception    OOO
*Intelligence OO
*Wits         OOOO/*

ABILITIES

Academics
Animal Ken OO
Art
*Athletics OOO
*Awareness OOO
Brawl OOO
Command
Control OO
Craft
Empathy O
Fortitude OO
Integrity O
Investigation O
*Larceny
Marksmanship O
Medicine
Melee OOO
*Occult
Politics
Presence
*Science
Stealth OOO
*Survival OO
Thrown OO

BIRTHRIGHTS

Boots of Nike OOO (Sky, Psychopomp, Contact Guide)
Sword of Deception OOO (Illusion, -1 Speed, +1 Accuracy to Xiphos Template)
Guide OOOOO (Nike)

POWERS (Arete, Magic, Psychopomp and Illusion Associated)

Epic Attributes

2 Epic Strength
2 Epic Dexterity
2 Epic Stamina
1 Epic Wits

Knacks

Holy Bound
Uplifting Might
Lightning Sprinter
Untouchable Opponent
Self-Healing
Soliphistic Well Being
Rabbit Reflexes

Boons

Arete (Melee) O
The Subtle Knife (Illusion O)
Skys Grace (Sky O)

VIRTUES AND WILLPOWER

Virtues

Expression O
Intellect  O
Valor      OOO
Vengance   OOOO

Willpower OOOOOOO

LEGEND

OOO

Legend Pool 9

SOAK

B 5/L 4/A 2

BONUS POINTS:

7: Legend 2->3
7: Guide OOOOO (Nike)
1: Adding Contact Guide to boots.

BACKSTORY

Jennys a farm girl through and through. Born on a ranch into a large family, she had to earn her way in the world from as early as she could remember. She had to fight with her siblings for attention and affection from her parents, and prove herself to them by sticking to her chores and doing as she was told. For some reason she never seemed to find the quiet satisfaction her brothers and sisters did in a well done job, but she had no hope of escaping so she had to put up with it.

That was, until the farm was attacked. Two of her brothers were out messing about in the mountains nearby, when they came running back, screaming about some monster that was chasing them. Pa barely had time to get his shotgun out when the beast came crashing in through the fence and started slaughtering her family members left, right and centre. She was the last one left, and the massive bulk of the beast lumbered towards her, eyes gleaming with malice. She closed her eyes, ready for the worst...

When she opened them again, the beast was crumpled up in a heap on the floor, and a tall greek looking gentleman was smiling down on her. This was Hermes, her real Pa. He explained that he had taken her mother wearing her fathers face, and that he now needed her to fight against the Titans. He introduced her to her guild, Nike, the goddess of athletic victory. He gifted her with a pair of boots and a sword, then told her to go into the world and seek titanspawn like the one that had butchered her family and farm before her.

She set off into the mountains and found every last one of the titanspawns children, slaying them all with her newly awakened powers.

Jenny is a physically capable woman, if you couldn't work on the farm then you were looked down upon, and she always did more than was asked of her. She wears simple linen dresses and has her long black hair tied back in a tight braid. She hides the Sword of Deception in a battered travelling bag along with the rest of her posessions when not using her illusion powers to conceal it on her person. The sword is shorter and lighter than a normal xiphos, which makes it easier to swing and direct. She always wears her boots gifted to her by Nike. She can contact the goddess at any time by clicking the heels three times and spending a Legend point.

Jenny prefers the practical approach to problems, and her no-nonsense attitude combined with her divine power makes her formidable in a fight. She prefers to bring out her sword and cut down her foes if leathal force is nessecary. If its not, then she's content to strike her foes with her bare hands. No-one, lest of all Hermes, is entirely sure why Nike has taken an interest in Jenny. She usually attends to Athena, but approached the messenger god about aiding his daughter. Whether she seeks to nurture her into a powerful weapon and companion, or keep an eye on a potential rival remains to be seen.

MadPanda

In Memory of Bishrook

Galanoder

Appearance 2 and no Epic? She's a plain Jane (or Jenny as the case may be). Who can pick up a horse in each hand and then beat people do death with them ;).

Phaia

hmmm loads of girls for this band ...where is the guys?

Phaia

MadPanda

Quote from: Galanoder on May 26, 2009, 02:29:06 PM
Appearance 2 and no Epic? She's a plain Jane (or Jenny as the case may be). Who can pick up a horse in each hand and then beat people do death with them ;).

You say this as though it's a deterrent.  :-)

In Memory of Bishrook

HairyHeretic

To encourage those who are a little slow, 2 bonus points for everyone once I see their background posted here. The ones so far have all been excellent.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Phaia

Bonus Points (15)
Legend Increase               -7
Abilities                            -5
Pharaoh [creature]            -3

Attributes: (8, 6, 4)
Physical; (4)
Strength              1+1          2
Stamina               1+1          2
Dexterity            1+2          3
Social; (6)
Charisma              1+1          2
Manipulation        1+2          3
Appearance         1+3          4
Mental: (8)
Perception           1+3          4
Intelligence         1+3          4
Wits                    1+2           3

Abilities: (30)
*Athletics   3 +1 =   4
*Awareness   3 +2 =   5
*Brawl         3
*Larceny      3 +1 =   4
*Stealth      3
*Survival      1 +1 =   2
Academics      3
   Languages; English, Arabic, French, German, Chinese
Animal Ken      1
Empathy                   3
Fortitude                   2
Investigation      2
Marksmanship      2
Control [horse]      1

Advantages:
Birthrights: (5)
“Spectacles of the Sun” [preview Sun]: A round mirrored-lenses set of spectacles often worn low on her nose. Mirrored shapes. [1 dot]
“Pharaoh’s gift” [preview Animal (cat)]: Intricate gold ring with green cat’s eyes. [1 dot]
“Sands of the Desert” [preview Prophecy]: An 8” tall hourglass of the finest wood and crystal. When turned the sands pour and pull the viewer into the depths of prophecy. The falling sands will always last as long as needed. Sometimes finishing quickly with its images and others dragging on for hours. The viewer is fully engrossed at the time. [1 dot]
Father’s Derringer: A double barreled .45cal colt derringer. Made of refined and forged ghost rock giving it a deep blue black color and engraved in gold [hieroglyphs]. Ivory grip with a cat motif. Her father’s prized derringer given to him by her mother.
Unlimited ammo [cocking back the hammer reloads it] and range of a standard colt revolver.
[2 dots]
“Pharaoh”: A male Egyptian Mau cat [2 dot creature] and guide [1 dot]

Boons/Epic Attributes: (10)
Epic Dexterity      2 (-2)
Knacks; Cat’s Grace [no legend point required], Untouchable Opponent [legend point required]
Epic Perception      2 (-2)
   Knacks; Predatory Focus [no legend point], Subliminal Warning [no legend point]
Epic Wits                   1 (-1)
   Knacks; Meditative Focus [no legend point]
Animal (cat)      1 (-1)
   Animal Communication [no legend point]
Sun         2 (-2)
   Penetrating Glare, Divine Radiance [legend point]
Prophecy                   2 (-2)

Virtues: (5)
Pesedjet:
   Conviction        1+2   3
   Harmony           1      1
   Order               1      1
   Piety                 1      1
Bastet:
   Vengeance        1+3   4
Legend                        3
Willpower                   7
Legend Points              9

Phaia

GRRRR GRRRRR GRRRRR

I had this all nice a straight and aligned nicely and for some reason it WILL NOT translate that way from word

Sorry hairy it looks a bit confusing...

Phaia

HairyHeretic

Not a problem. If I have questions on it, I'll ask.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

MadPanda

The Tale of Monkey's Daughter, con't

For some years, Chou was a content man.  His wife was attentive, obedient, and dutiful.  The daughter she bore was likewise attentive and dutiful, but also curious and prone to mischief.  Whenever she was not helping her parents run the restaurant, she was found running about like a boy, listening to the storytellers and playing rough and tumble games.

After seven years, his silent wife took sick during a bad winter and died in spite of all that could be done for her.  Heartbroken with loss, Chou left more and more of his business in the hands of employees and took to the bottle in search of solace.  His daughter, unable to comfort him, swallowed her tears and ran even wilder for a time.  Eventually she was caught at the temple, sneaking in for the sake of mischief, and there she was brought before the old priest who had guided Chou's steps.

"You are Mister Chou's girl, are you not?  From the restaurant?"

"Yes," she said, taking a proud stance as if prepared to fight the holy man off.

"I have something for you," he smiled.  "It used to belong to your mother, and she left it here for safekeeping."  He clapped his hands and an acolyte brought out a set of prayer beads.  "It was her wish that you have them when you were old enough."  And so saying, he placed them around her neck and chanted a sutra before dismissing her.

That night, at home, she fell into a listless sleep.  And the following morning, she was much quieter than before.  Old Chou did not complain about the change: she was easier to live with, and his heart was heavy with grief.

Thus she grew to womanhood, quiet and obedient, the perfect daughter for an aging widower.  Every so often the priest would visit and bless the prayer beads for her, and then the kitchen.  The restaurant flourished, and Chou was happy.

But the day before she was to turn seventeen, a coarse and unkept vagabond came to the restaurant.  He roared with laughter and called for drink, chasing other customers away with his horrible manners.  Finally, Chou came out to accost the man, only to find himself invited to join a drinking contest.

"So," the vagabond belched.  "I understand you have a daughter.  Bring her out!"

"Oh, I couldn't..."

"Bring her out, I say!  She can serve us."

Reluctantly Chou called his daughter forth, and the scruffy stranger started at the sight of her hair like fire and her eyes like molten gold.

"Ah!  Most exotic!  Her mother must have been quite the woman!  Here, girl, pour the wine for us."

Chou frowned at the man's tone, but made no objection as the girl knelt beside their table and filled their cups again and again.  They drank and sang as heroes of old...until the stranger's eye fell upon the prayer beads around the girl's neck.

Slamming his cup down on the table hard enough to shatter both, he leapt to his feet and grabbed Chou by the tunic, pinning the old man against the wall and shouting.

"Who has done this to your child?  Who has bound her with this rosary?  Did you do it?"

Chou fumbled for the words, but before he could defend himself his daughter rose and bowed to the ruffian, her lip trembling as she spoke softly.

"If you please, sir, it was the kindly old priest at the temple.  He said they belonged to my venerable mother.  Please release my father and go."

"Your father?"  The vagabond laughed and dropped Chou.  "If he is your father, I am the Dragon King's favorite concubine!  And unless your mother is the Benevolent Goddess Herself, those beads never belonged to her, either!"

The drunk capered about the restaurant, while outside a sudden storm let loose peals of thunder and heavy rain.

"Tell her the truth, Chou," the drunk crowed, so startling the old man that he cried out even as the ruffian dashed the doors to pieces and raced out into the street, into the pouring rain and the growing dark.

Sulan knelt by Chou, helping him to his feet.

"What did he mean, Father?"

Drunk and dazed, Chou turned to smile sadly at her.

"Your mother was already carrying you in her womb when I married her," he confessed.  "You are not the daughter of my body...but you have been the child of my heart..."

The girl cried out in astonishment, and the rosary around her neck broke at that moment, spilling beads across the floor.  Grabbing Chou by the collar and shaking him, she tearfully begged him to take back those words, to tell her that he was only joking.  Yet the old man had already sunk into a deep slumber from the wine.

Instead, she tore herself away from his side and went tearing after the villain who had thus slandered the man who had raised her!

(to be continued)

In Memory of Bishrook

Paladin

hairy, due to the fact I can't read pm's I don't know how you liked the stuff I sent you. Could you tell me here if you liked them and if I can use any of it?

HairyHeretic

I don't think the Saints is particularly good. The Elohim or Grigori are probably ok. The Elohim would work with the travelling preacher concept. I think someone else was interested in the Elohim as a pantheon too, so I don't know if that means you want to take something different or not.

For what its worth, I don't have any issues with people doubling on up pantheons or even Gods. There should be enough variation though that duplicate concepts aren't a problem.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Paladin

ok I was looking at the grigori anyways. I'll get something as soon as I get home.

HairyHeretic

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Paladin

HairyHeretic

Cattle die, kinsmen die

HairyHeretic

Ok, quick show of hands. What catagory setting do we want to place this into. I think Scion fits nicely towards a cinematic feel to a game .. something like this maybe

The Good, The Bad and The Weird (15) ***

or this

SUKIYAKI WESTERN DJANGO Sizzle Reel

though with more gribbly things :)

I'd think probably Bondage Exotic, but I'm open to discussion on that.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

MadPanda

Bondage/Exotic sounds good to me  :-)

In Memory of Bishrook

HairyHeretic

Oh, yes .. something I forgot earlier.

A houserule I've had suggested is for Perception to add to firearms damage in the same way strength does to melee damage. Since I can see a fair bit of shooting possible in this game, I figured I'd toss it out there and see what people thought of the idea.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

MadPanda

Errrr...firearms are already Piercing, aren't they?  I'd say they don't need the help.

In Memory of Bishrook

HairyHeretic

Piercing halves the soak from armour. Generally speaking, I can't see armour being a big thing here .. maybe a point or so for things like leather dusters, but the main soak is going to be the targets own bashing / lethal. In a fight, the melee damage output is going to well outpace the guns, especially when you add in strength and (relic) weapons.

In my own pen and paper game, guns seem fairly poor at damage output in comparison to that done by the melee characters. I don't include the handcannon of Thor in with standard guns though.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

MadPanda

Keeping in mind that to do melee damage, you have to get to the opponent...

Visions of mere mooks gunning down Scions with impunity dance in my head, so I'm going to still say that I don't care for the idea.

In Memory of Bishrook

HairyHeretic

Mooks don't have stats, generally speaking, so they wouldn't benefit from this :)

Cattle die, kinsmen die

MadPanda

Extras have stats.  They just don't have very good ones.  But then, you don't know my luck with online die rollers.   :P

In a word?  Abysmal.  So...no way, man.

In Memory of Bishrook

HairyHeretic

*chuckles* Believe me, I've had my own share of luck .. or lack thereof ... with dice rollers.

At any rate, one vote for no. Let's see what the others think.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Phaia

perception adds to ranged damage?
hmmm

4 perc

2 epic perc

::) ::) ;D ;D ;D
all with my lil old derringer

Phaia

Phaia

Hairy i like either concept... i could play the temptress if needed **looks innocent**

Do realize if any one ruins one of my dresses or petticoats I will have to shoot them...thier friends..anyone standing near them...and half the town on general purpose.

Phaia

Phaia

Panda hun this is the wild west...guns SHOULD be the blam blam. everyone uses them and scions are not yet gods so a gattling gun should cause us a bit of concern.

Also Panda, love the tale of monkey girl but ya should know San fran does not exsist in Deadlands...the entire west coast was blasted into islands by the great earthquake and is now the main scource of ghost rock...van cou might still be there or ya could set the story in new york or chicago

Phaia

Phaia

I have never played this system nor used die rollers [yeap a virgin here so be gentle]

I do hope it wont be all about  roll a die and do something...would love to roll the dice behind teh scenes [if that is possible] then describe the action and damage and effects

** twisting in midair as her petticoats flutter and whip, the silk of her gown shimmering in the light. I drop to the table top the small derringer in her gloved hand and the shots ring out...blam blam.. click. blam blam...click blam blam.... the gunslingers tumble away in all directions each witha r ound hole neatly in their foreheads....* her red lips pucker sexily as she blows the smoke from the dual barrles of her derringer*....

as an example

Phaia

MadPanda

Gee, maybe I won't fit in with this group after all.
Sorry to have bothered you.

In Memory of Bishrook

Phaia

QuotePosted on: Today at 08:33:49 PMPosted by: MadPanda 
Gee, maybe I won't fit in with this group after all.
Sorry to have bothered you.

HUH!!??

WTH!!??

panda what the heck are ya talking about!!

Phaia

Ixy

I'm still very interested in this game, and really looking forward to when we can start roleplaying.

Hairy, your house rule's ok by me, as I expect you'll keep it in balance... it makes sense, after all, because guns are a critical part of the wild-west setting.  Sure, it'd help my character stat-wise, but I'm more interested in the idea of keeping guns a competent set of weapons when it comes down to going toe-to-toe with a dangerous antagonist.

Panda, I'd hate to see you quit this game before it even gets going, or before we even hear the rest of your character's backstory.  I don't fully understand why you'd think it's best for you to go, but if it's personal taste then I can't really blame you for wanting to focus on something that makes you happier.  I hope you'll reconsider though.

Um... anything else?  no... guess not.  No pressure, I'm just excited about getting started.

Phaia

Hairy ever hear of this series, I remembered it was a favorite of one of my brothers..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Adventures_of_Brisco_County,_Jr.

Phaia

Phaia

looking at the vid clips again ...and again...they are great...

Love the idea of swinging across a town shooting, or fighting hand to hand across the roof tops as bullets zing past....

Walking down the street in her gown with bustle, parasol out as bullets zing around her....whamping a thug over the head ....corset and leggings as she dances on a table in the midst of a brawl... a quick kick sending someone into next week...

Katie riding hard and flicting the winchester in a cirlce to fire again and againas she rides hard into the town

Daniel in a great leap the sword over his head as he smash down amoug the brawling madness

heck great images

HairyHeretic

Quote from: Phaia on May 27, 2009, 08:18:12 PM
Panda hun this is the wild west...guns SHOULD be the blam blam. everyone uses them and scions are not yet gods so a gattling gun should cause us a bit of concern.

No, Scions aren't yet Gods, but they're a lot more than mortals.

Quote from: Phaia on May 27, 2009, 08:18:12 PM
Also Panda, love the tale of monkey girl but ya should know San fran does not exsist in Deadlands...the entire west coast was blasted into islands by the great earthquake and is now the main scource of ghost rock...van cou might still be there or ya could set the story in new york or chicago

I believe SF wasn't destroyed til the big ritual took place, which would mean it's still viable back story.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

zothab

Dark. Cold. Miserable.

But that was only at night. By day the hold of the British merchant ship Lady Fletcher was dark, stinking hot and miserable.

Brandon Whelan had been three weeks in the dark. Twenty one days sharing the fetid, dank air with more of his countrymen than he could count. A lifetime sitting in inch deep water - well, mostly water.

The only blessing so far on this damned journey was that they had avoided plague. Not that the crew would hear it. They kept their “cargo” locked away. Lowering buckets of water and food into the once a day for the migrants to fight over. Never enough food or water. But after the first few days no-one had the energy or will to fight of it. And after a few more, there was enough food for everyone – and the sharks.

They could have fought. Revolted. Mutinied. Brandon’s father would have demanded it. He would have railed against the Captain, roused the three hundred squashed in the dark, and tried to make it right. But his father was dead.

Instead of giving his life to breathe life back into his father’s failed farm, Brandon has taken the easy way out – and the landlords promise of five pounds – and shipped out to the new world. It made him a coward, but that was fine, it wasn’t a fight he could win.

And coward he would have remained, if the man with golden hair hadn’t asked his name on day twenty two.

Brandon Whelan is a Irish lad from County Kerry. His family's farm failed during the potato blight, but they stayed and tried to survive in their homeland as long as they could. Eventually, when all had died of starvation or disease, Brandon fled to the Americas.

During the boat trip he was visited by Lugh mac Ethlenn, Lonnbeimnech, and was inspired to fight against the miserable conditions that the migrants were put under - both on the boat, and in the new world. It was his mission to forge them a place in the world they could call their own. So that the children of the Tuatha de Danann would not be forgotten.

The civil war was in its earliest stages when the Lady Fletcher arrived off Ellis island, and Brandon enlisted immediately. He fought for the north bravely, gaining some small fame for holding a fort through the winter that no-one thought possible.

Now, he has been sent west by Lugh to seek out and stop the of the Titanspawn - never once forgetting that the Irish should always be fighting for themselves.

zothab

There we go. Playing very much to stereotype of the golden hero. Blonde hair, inspiring where he can, etc etc. Tell me what you think.

As for the actualy nitty gritty or character, I got the Scion:Hero pdf yesterday, and am absorbing as fast as I can. I'll try and spit out a complete character later today.

Trying to work out a way to argue a divine handcannon of Lugh, but it doesn't look likely.

HairyHeretic

Sounds doable.

If you go for a scion of GOVANNON
http://wiki.white-wolf.com/whitewolf/index.php?title=The_Tuatha_De_Dannan_(Fan)

as the God of the forge, and a crafter of weapons, having the divine hand cannon would certainly be suitable. Optionally you could write it in as Lugh asking Govannon to craft it for one of his sons, and there being a favour to be repaid at some point.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

MadPanda

Quote from: HairyHeretic on May 28, 2009, 02:36:46 AM
I believe SF wasn't destroyed til the big ritual took place, which would mean it's still viable back story.

This would have been useful to know before I became convinced that I was wasting my time here.  Fortunately, HH is more patient than I am and seems to want me to stick around.  Plus he can restore my removed backstory posts.

In Memory of Bishrook

HairyHeretic

I've been told I project an aura of calm. Its rather useful when you work support :)

Do you want me to restore those background posts?

Cattle die, kinsmen die

MadPanda

In Memory of Bishrook

Ixy

Can I just say how interesting it's going to be to have a Yankee war hero and a Reb bushwhacker teaming up..?  Because, even if we're fictionalizig the historical aspects, it's going to give us the opportunity for some rather insightful conflicts... he was an immigrant fighting another country's war in the regions where it was organized, though ugly... she was cross-dressing and fighting the 'dirty war' out west for revenge, where regulation was loose and based more on on territorial rights and personal grudges than political ideology.  Both of them would be, in a way, iconic of their sides' cause, but ironically both are precisely the kind of people that the warring powers would have chewed up and spit out as cannon fodder as part of advancing their agenda.

Dang.

So... I'm going to work on a quick-reference profile today with a physical description and scaled-down avatar.  I've already sent Hairy the revised sheet for approval, and if everything's ok by you, Hairy, then I'll be ready to roll.

HairyHeretic

Your sheet looks ok, but I'm having a little trouble tracking where all you spent the bonus points. I think you might actually be a point or two unspent.

Plus you sent the sheet before I awarded the couple of extra bonus points, so you have those to spend too.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Phaia

iconic? well add in that ya have a rogue, card shark, sneak..tempress and daniel and ed [hopefully]

btw hairy for refereance what year or appox are we starting in, the great ritaul took place on july 3 1863,

and the Deadlands setting is appox 1877 so was wondering, wanted to add in a  brithday as well as a bit of extra history to alex so was wondering about the starting date

Phaia

HairyHeretic

Hmm. Good question.

Is there a Deadlands timeline anywhere, do you know? I'm tempted to set it a few years before canon, so as to give us a bit more freedom to play, but I'd need to get an idea of when major events occured.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Phaia

http://www.geocities.com/TimesSquare/Dungeon/3492/index.html

this is one of the sites I have been using as a guide for deadlands ideas

phaia

Phaia

check under contents ..it has a nice gizmos section as well as a bunch of others, there is a deadlands ring but mots of the sites are gone

Phaia

HairyHeretic

I found a fairly detailed one here

http://web.archive.org/web/20021223094757/mscof.home.texas.net/timeline/timetable.htm

I love this one

1866 - February 2 The town of Quarryville, Pennsylvania is attacked by giant groundhogs. The town is attacked every year on this date.

Gives a whole new possibility for a Groundhog Day scenario  ;D Trapped doing the same thing day in and day out til you manage to find out what's going on and break the curse  :D

And it looks like the Great Quake in California was 1868.

Looking over the timeline, I think about 1871 or 1872 would be a fairly decent place to set things going. A lot of the major background is in place then, and the other stuff I see could be dropped into the timeline at other points without much disruption.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Ixy

Quote from: Phaia on May 28, 2009, 12:09:05 PM
iconic? well add in that ya have a rogue, card shark, sneak..tempress and daniel and ed [hopefully]

Yeah, I was referring to the war, specifically, but the group overall has several archetypes of the culture.  :)

Phaia

NOOO NOO groundhog day [the movie] repeated

**faints and quivers**

Phaia

Phaia

1871 or 72 is good, variuos things like the metal cartiage colt 45 is out, as well as the winchester rifle. though a lot of black powder guns are still around, problly in the armies.

Phaia

zothab

It should be pointed out that while San Fran is gone, there is a thriving Orential community among the great rifts (or whatever they're called, the crazy post earthquake chasms). That's both on top of the cliffs, and further down.

Plus, chinese Junk pirates!

Ixy

NAME: Katie Sinclair
CALLING: Range Vigilante
PANTHEON:  Dodekatheon
PLAYER: Ixy
NATURE: Judge
GOD: Artemis

STR  2        DEX  4 [E2]       STA     3 [E2]
CHA  2        MAN  2        APP     3 [E1]
PERC   4 [E2]      INT  3        WITS   4  [E1]

ACADEMICS  1       
*ANIMAL KEN  1       
ATHLETICS  2       
*AWARENESS 1         
BRAWL 2         
COMMAND 1         
CONTROL 2         
*EMPATHY 1         
*FORTITUDE  3       
INTEGRITY  3       
INVESTIGATION 3         
LARCENY 3
*MARKSMANSHIP 5
MELEE 1       
STEALTH  1       
*SURVIVAL  2       
THROWN  1

Birthrights:
RELIC 3 - Silver Eye (PURVIEWS: Justice, Psychopomp, Moon) .  Hollow, silver ovoid, it fits her eye perfectly, allowing her to close her eye, even to blink, without impediment.
RELIC 2-  Peacemaker (Damage +2)   This heavy revolver is chambered to fire .45 caliber ammunition, and its ebony grip is etched with runes that do not fade.  The barrel, guard, and cylinder bears a filligree of entwined women, arrows, and hunting scenes.

Boons:
JUDGMENT (JUSTICE •)
SMOKING MIRROR (MOON •)
UNERRING ORIENTATION  (PSYCHOPOMP •)
WHERE ARE YOU?  (PSYCHOPOMP ••)

Knacks:
SOLIPSISTIC WELL-BEING
CAT'S GRACE
DAMAGE CONVERSON
TRICK SHOOTER
PREDATORY FOCUS
SUBLIMINAL WARNING
INSTANT INVESTIGATOR
SERPENT'S GAZE

Virtues:
EXPRESSION 1
INTELLECT 1
VALOR 3
VENEANCE 4

Willpower: 7

Legend: 3  (POINTS:  9)

Equipment:
SEALSKIN COAT (BLACK), OSTRICH-SKIN BOOTS, SPARE CLOTHES, GLOVES, BANDOLIER AND DOUBLE-BARREL SHOTGUN (SAWED-OFF), GUN BELT/HOLSTER, CANTEEN, MID-QUALITY HORSE, SADDLEBAGS, BEDROLL, RATIONS (DRIED BEEF, HARDTACK, DRY BEANS, SEED CORN), SEWING KIT, STETSON OPEN-CROWN HAT, (BLACK) ROLLING PAPERS/TOBACCO, MATCHES/WATERPROOF TIN, CANVAS TARP, EYEPATCH, RAWHIDE CORD SEGMENTS, A FEW DOLLARS AND CHANGE, SHARPS RIFLE WITH DELUXE LONG-RANGE SIGHT.  HORSE (MODERATE STOCK GELDING).

Bonus Points:
7- LEGEND
8- EPIC ATTRIBUTES (+1 epic dex, +1 epic perception-- associated powers)
2- ABILITIES (+2 marksmanship, favored ability)

Description:
Katie looks to be a shade under twenty years old.

Her hair still has streaks of the deep auburn color it was during her childhood, though it darkened to an ebon gloss after her change.  She pins it up with simple combs of bone or wood, and crops it occasionally, but it's usually tucked under her flat-brimmed, black hat regardless. 

She's slgiht of frame, well proportioned, but not voluptuous.  Willowy.  Despite her lean composition, her hips flare from a distinctly tapered waist, and she supports a moderate bust.  Her arms and legs bear the subtle shadows of fine-tuned muscle. 

Her face is striking-- although she's lovely by most standards, she doesn't strike the viewer as an object of exceptional beauty.   Rather, she's a combination of menace and innocence. 

She bears ivory skin, wide and long-lashed eye that seems to sight down purposefully wherever she gazes.  She has a slightly upturned nose and a subtly pouting mouth that seems to constantly be straining as if t oconstrain a deeply hidden sorrow.  Despite the punishing sun she seems not to burn or tan beyond a slightly golden hue of health. 

Beneath her eyepatch, the lid and empty socket bear the white, faded lines of scar where she was shot in the temple as a girl, the bullet's refracted trajectory having ruined her eye on its exit path.  The silver eye she wears in its place, however, is so perfectly natural looking that it's like part of her, though its untarnishing surface might be either surreally beautiful or unsettling to look upon... this, of course, depends on the observer's conscience-- or lack thereof. 

Phaia

Calling:   Rogue/Hunter
Pantheon:   Pesedjet
Nature:      Rogue
Goddess:   Bastet

Bonus Points (15) (+2 from Hairy)
Legend Increase      -7
Abilities      -5
Pharaoh [creature]   -3
Birthright
Heku 1          -1

Attributes: (8, 6, 4)
Physical; (4)
Strength      2
Stamina         2
Dexterity      3
Social; (6)
Charisma      2
Manipulation      3
Appearance      4
Mental: (8)
Perception      4
Intelligence      4
Wits         3

Abilities: (30)
*Athletics      4
*Awareness      5
*Brawl         3
*Larceny      5
*Stealth      3
*Survival      2
Academics      3
Languages; English, Arabic, French, German, Chinese
Animal Ken      1
Empathy         3
Fortitude      2
Investigation      2
Marksmanship      2
Control [horse]      1

Boons/Epic Attributes: (10)
Epic Dexterity      2
Epic Perception      2
Epic Wits      1
Animal (cat):      1
   Animal Communication*
Sun:         2
   Penetrating Glare *, Divine Radiance**
Prophecy:      2
Heku:         1
   Ren Harvest*
Knacks;
Cat’s Grace [Dex]
Untouchable Opponent [Dex]
Predatory Focus [Perc]
Subliminal Warning [Perc]
Meditative Focus [Wits]

Advantages:
Birthrights: (5)
Relic 2- “Spectacles of the Sun and the Moon” [preview Sun and Moon]: A round mirrored-lenses set of spectacles often worn low on her nose. 
Relic 1- “Pharaoh’s gift” [preview Animal (cat)]: Intricate gold ring with green cat’s eyes.
Relic 1- “Sands of the Desert” [preview Prophecy]: An 8” tall hourglass of the finest wood and crystal. When turned the sands pour and pull the viewer into the depths of prophecy. The falling sands will always last as long as needed. Sometimes finishing quickly with its images and others dragging on for hours. The viewer is fully engrossed at the time.
Relic 2- Father’s Derringer: A double barreled .45cal colt derringer. Made of refined and forged ghost rock giving it a deep blue black color and engraved in gold [hieroglyphs]. Ivory grip with a cat motif. Her father’s prized derringer given to him by her mother.
Unlimited ammo [cocking back the hammer reloads it] and range of a standard colt revolver.
Creature 1/Guide 2- “Pharaoh”: A male Egyptian Mau cat

Virtues: (5)
Pesedjet:
Conviction      3
Harmony         1
Order         1
Piety         1
Bastet:
Vengeance      4

Legend         3
Willpower      7
Legend Points      9

Phaia

Alex is 21, blonde haired, blue eyed, with full breasts, and curves in all the right places [appearance 4]. She moves with a feline grace and at times seem to be looking through a person [awareness 5].
Alex perfer the finer things, silks, soft cottens, fine wine, choice food. Do not think that she is soft, she can rough it as needed and is very tough. The smokey lensed shades she seems to be always wearing hide her blue eyes.
The grey spotted cat that always seems to be under foot also seems able to get his point across to Alex.
Standing 5'4' in her heeled boots Alex draws eyes to her. Men and women.
She relaxes by playing high stakes poker, normally winning. Yet much of her winnings are channeled to help people and keep harmony.

Pharoah...his royalness...Lordship and general pain...is a wise and wonderful guide from bastet. A normal egyptian Mou, yet it always seems to have a view piont on something around ... and expects his due...honeyed milk and salted sadines...but not just any sardines ..ask him to fine out those her perfers

Phaia

Phaia

Docks; New Orleans
On board the steamship, Cleopatra, the boson was worried. The trip had been uneventful save for that cat and the lady he had claimed. Now this boson was wizen and had seen plenty but daily finding the dead rats laid out had at fist baffled and scared the crew. Then the 3rd day they found his lordship calmly setting and licking his paw with 7 of the nasty rodents laid out, dead. Fifty seven rats killed, 57! amazing and now the cat was to leave with the lady he had claimed. What was he to do? The ship would always have need of a ratter like that could he just let it walk away?
Standing lost in thought the boson didn’t notice the 2 stop at his feet until a “MEROWWW” broke his thoughts. Looking down the man’s eyes widen for there was his lordship and another cat, the new one leaner and younger he would judge and a bit nervous but looking around as is casing the ship.
‘MeroOOWWW’
‘Meoww’

The feminine voice made him start and glance up at Lady Kitterland, “Pharaoh apologizes but he needs to go but this young one has agreed to step into his place. A fine vessel such as this needs a cat that can catch the vermin. Of course the catch is you must reward him as you did Pharaoh. Honeyed Milk and those sardines of the captains’ he feels would be just rewards. The youngling really does not have a name. Now if you would excuse us we really do need to be leaving. Come along Pharaoh” Turning on her heel the lady walked back down the plank, the grey spotted cat with its tail high follows.

The boson looking down at the yellow and cream cat shrugged and slowly smiled. “Well come on  ...Horus...Let’s get you introduced to the rest of the crew and settled in a place you like”

Phaia

oh yes alex is actully a titled english lady though her father ... uncle is a baron but she has not seen the 'family' in years. here ya go hairy a hook if ya want us going to england!!

and hope you liked the short intro for pharaoh

phaia

HairyHeretic

Ok, I've got a couple of threads set up for us

https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=37974.0 - OOC thread

https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=37975.0 - Character sheets, backstory and flashbacks

I'll get an actual game thread set up in the next few days, once we have everyone ready.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Galanoder

Decided to modify Jenny a bit after deciding i wasn't happy with the concept. Hairy, feel free to approve or disapprove as you see fit:

QuoteName: Jenny Falstaff
Player: Galanoder
Calling: Physical Paragon
Nature: Competitor
Pantheon: Dodekatheon
God: Hermes

ATTRIBUTES

Physical (Priority 1)

Strength   OOOO/**
*Dexterity OOOO/***
Stamina    OOO/**

Social (Priority 3)

Charisma     OOO
Manipulation OO
Appearance   OO

Mental (Priority 2)

Perception    OOO
*Intelligence OO
*Wits         OOOO/*

ABILITIES

Academics
Animal Ken OO
Art
*Athletics OOO
*Awareness OOO
Brawl OOO
Command
Control OO
Craft
Empathy O
Fortitude OO
Integrity O
Investigation O
*Larceny
Marksmanship O
Medicine
Melee OOO
*Occult
Politics
Presence
*Science
Stealth OOO
*Survival OO
Thrown OO

BIRTHRIGHTS

Boots of Swiftness OOO (Sky, Psychopomp, Illusion) On first glance, these are simple work boots made of brown leather. However, a closer look reveals that the workmanship is extremely high quality, and the leather itself is supple while still being tough. The soles are made of similar leather to the body, allowing a high degree of flexibility compared to conventional boots. Boon channeling is activated by clicking the heels twice.
Sword of Deception OOO ( -2 Speed, +1 Damage to Xiphos Template) A shortened xiphos, the sword of deception is the more obviously supernatural of Jennys artifacts. The blade is a misty blue-green, and the blade shifts in colour and pattern before peoples eyes. The hilt is a golden metal, twisted into complicated spiral patterns that seem to change every time someone looks at it. The blade is exeptionally light and sharp. Boon channeling is activated with a flourish of the blade.
Nemean Cobrahide Belt OO (Functions as Armour)

POWERS (Arete, Magic, Psychopomp and Illusion Associated)

Epic Attributes

2 Epic Strength
3 Epic Dexterity
2 Epic Stamina
1 Epic Wits

Knacks

Holy Bound
Uplifting Might
Lightning Sprinter
Untouchable Opponent
Monkey Climber
Self-Healing
Inner Furnace
Rabbit Reflexes

Boons

The Subtle Knife (Illusion O)
Skys Grace (Sky O)

VIRTUES AND WILLPOWER

Virtues

Expression O
Intellect  O
Valor      OOO
Vengance   OOOO

Willpower OOOOOOO

LEGEND

OOOO

Legend Pool 16

SOAK

B 5/L 4/A 2

BONUS POINTS:

7: Legend 2->3
7: Legend 3->4
1: Adding + 1 Damage to sword
2: Buying Belt

Jennys a farm girl through and through. Born on a ranch into a large family, she had to earn her way in the world from as early as she could remember. She had to fight with her siblings for attention and affection from her parents, and prove herself to them by sticking to her chores and doing as she was told. For some reason she never seemed to find the quiet satisfaction her brothers and sisters did in a well done job, but she had no hope of escaping so she had to put up with it.

That was, until the farm was attacked. Two of her brothers were out messing about in the mountains nearby, when they came running back, screaming about some monster that was chasing them. Pa barely had time to get his shotgun out when the beast came crashing in through the fence and started slaughtering her family members left, right and centre. She was the last one left, and the massive bulk of the beast lumbered towards her, eyes gleaming with malice. She closed her eyes, ready for the worst...

When she opened them again, the beast was crumpled up in a heap on the floor, and a tall greek looking gentleman was smiling down on her. This was Hermes, her real Pa. He explained that he had taken her mother wearing her fathers face, and that he now needed her to fight against the Titans. He gifted her with a pair of boots and a sword, then told her to go into the world and seek titanspawn like the one that had butchered her family and farm before her.

She set off into the mountains and found every last one of the titanspawns children, slaying them all with her newly awakened powers. She was surprised at how... easy everything seemed now. She ran faster, jumped higher, noticed things that would have gone over her attention before, and didn't need to stop for rest for great periods of time. When she emerged from the mountains a week later, she was streaked in blood and dirt and sweat, but there was a grim satisfaction in her eyes. She had slain every last titanspawn in those mountains, and had avenged her familys death. Hermes was standing by the entrance to the farm when she came back.

The young Scion spent the next week setting things in order at the ranch while learning of her duty and place in the world from her Pa. He said that that mountain range was not the only place in the world that creatures like that lived, and many had infiltrated towns and cities to turn over the world to chaos. When Jenny asked what she should do, he just smiled and patted her shoulder "Just carry on like you did in those mountains kid." he had said with an easy smile on his face "You're not... exactly how I expected you to turn out, but you'll do good, I can tell."

Later that week, Jenny had packed up and  was getting ready to leave, when Hermes again appeared beside her. He tapped the barrel of her dads old rifle that was slung across her shoulder "You'll be wanting something more discreet than that kid. It'll be safe enough here." he took it from her, and handed her a pearl handled revolver with a silver frame. "It looks fancy, so they'll think you're soft." he smiled "Surprise them." That was the last time she saw him, but she knew he was busy. Surely he'd come back someday, right? After all, he was the only family she had left.

Jenny has travelled a lot since then. She's battled titanspawn everywhere she's gone, tracking down urban legends and tall tales and seeing if there's any truth behind them. Quite a lot of the time it's just conmen or empty whisperings, but she finds enough battles to fight to make her journey worthwhile. She has recently aquired a magical Mattock from a Titanspawn she battled in Missouri, and seeks to channel its powers. She had been so focused on her mission, she had forgotten her roots. Perhaps using this magical farming tool would help calm her still churning spirit over leaving that place.

Jenny is a physically capable woman, if you couldn't work on the farm then you were looked down upon, and she always did more than was asked of her. She wears simple linen dresses and has her long black hair tied back in a tight braid. She hides the Sword of Deception in a battered travelling bag along with the rest of her posessions when not using her illusion powers to conceal it on her person. The sword is shorter and lighter than a normal xiphos, which makes it easier to swing and direct. She always wears her birthright boots, you never know when danger will find you after all.

Jenny prefers the practical approach to problems, and her no-nonsense attitude combined with her divine power makes her formidable in a fight. She prefers to bring out her sword and cut down her foes if leathal force is nessecary. If its not, then she's content to strike her foes with her bare hands. She prefers to use the sword in combat, finding the superior balance combined with her divine physical powers outstrips gunfire easily. Her latest acquisition from her adventuring is a belt made from nemean cobra hide given to her by a grateful dwarf. It toughens up all the clothes she wears as long as she has it on.

I leave it up to hairy exactly how much extra soak the belt gives.

Paladin

Well I'm back at home. Thank god. What are the creation rules? Standard?

HairyHeretic

Standard creation rules, +2 bonus points when I get a character backstory :)

Cattle die, kinsmen die

HairyHeretic

Ok, I think Jenny still has a point left over on skills, and has spent a point too many on Boons (assuming thats where her 2 bonus points went). Since the boots do Sky, Psychopomp, Illusion but you only have Illusion and Sky, you could maybe drop those down to a 2 dot item.

If you want to keep Psychopomp, then we need to trim out a bonus point from somewhere else on the birthrights.

For the belt ... 1A/2L/3B should be ok for a 2 dot relic. If you decide to drop it to 1 dot in light of the above, 2L/2B.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Galanoder

Hmm, how is she a point over on boons? 2 + 2 + 1 + 3 for the epic attributes is 8, +1 for the level 1 illusion and another +1 for the level 1 sky leaves it at 10.

And i was understanding I had 2 extra bonus points for the background? 14 to raise my legend up to 4, 1 to add a damage onto the sword and 2 for the belt. The sword without the damage and the boots put together costs 5, which is what i'm given for birthrights. Is there something i'm overlooking here?

HairyHeretic

Sorry, meant relics, not boons.

It looks like 1 two dot relic, and 2 three dot relics. You have 5 points on bithrights, which makes it look to me like 3 dots over. Assuming 2 of those were from the bonus points, that would still leave 1 dot over.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Galanoder

Right, it would be, only three of them are from bonus points (two to buy the belt and one to upgrade the sword). Add on the 14 to increase my legend and that's 15 + 2 like you said we had.

HairyHeretic

Ah, I managed to miss that. Ok, my bad. I blame the fact its after midnight here :)

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Galanoder

's alright dude, mathscrafting a character can be rough at the best of times. I take it Jenny is approved after that little hiccup?

HairyHeretic

Yup. I think you still have another point to put into the skills though. I counted 29 .. though that may not mean much right now ;)

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Galanoder

Ah, i'll just put a point in Larceny then. Heading to the character thread now.

HairyHeretic

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Phaia

bumped

looking for guys we have a group of gals needing the big strapping fellows to help us defend the wild west!!!

Paladin

I'm building a guy I need to get to work on him this weekend.

HairyHeretic

Paladin, Muse, you guys need any help? We have an OOC thread set up for the game if you want to post over there.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Paladin

Hairy, I plan on working on the character tonight. I would work on it during the day but I have been informed that today we have an open house so I am forced away from my home for most of the day. I really hate last minute suprises.

HairyHeretic

Not a problem. If you need anything from me, just let me know.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Paladin

Quote from: HairyHeretic on May 31, 2009, 07:32:01 AM
Not a problem. If you need anything from me, just let me know.

Not much but aprooval. I'm assuming its just SCION: HERO that we will be using and not the other two books.

HairyHeretic

Correct. Stuff from the Companion and Ragnarok (couple of extra purviews) are ok too. I don't want to use the Boons and Knacks from Demigod yet.

Homebrewed stuff will need approved on a case by case basis.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Spider

HairyHeretic

At the moment I have 5 confirmed players, 2 I believe working up characters and 1 who posted a concept but hasn't replied since. That gives me 7, possibly 8. I think thats as much as I can comfortably accomidate at present. If any of the three I don't have sheets from drop out thought, I can give you a shout.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Muse

Hiya, folks, let's see if I can avoid getting too mad science-ish on you. 

HairyHeretic

I figure we'll have Science for the theoretical, and Craft for the practical. Craft: Mad Science will do for a skill name ... we'll know what it is :)  There's also a Craft: Alchemy for brewing potions.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Paladin

Ok Book is found, and my PDF is found. Now for character concept.

Paladin

I think I'm going to play a SCION Of Michael, but he's not a Priest. Think more of the Lone Ranger. You know to go with the white Knight Guardian Image. I'll have a writeup soon say sometime this week. Character sheet should be finished tonight or tomorrow.

Phaia

HairyHeretic

I aim to kick things off on Saturday, so for those still working on character sheets, if you're not done by then we can add you in at a suitable moment for the story.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Paladin

Workin on him tonight and tomorrow. May not have a complete backstory but the character himself will be done

HairyHeretic

Cattle die, kinsmen die