First Time PC Gamer in need of Mod Help

Started by Sabby, August 04, 2011, 07:15:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sabby

I don't do 'silly mods' :P I like tweaks to the gameplay, new items, things that add to the overall gameplay or presentation or self contained experiences, like Total Conversions. What I don't want is the silly stuff is replacing swords with fish that have silly sound effects, or ramping up the ragdoll physics to the point where they just glitch through walls x.x I don't find any of it funny or interesting, its just annoying.

The only reason I ask is I'm checking for mods for Elder Scrolls 4: Oblivion, and fuck there is a lot of them! I dunno where to even start, and to be honest, I'm a bit daunted at using several mods at the same time...

Inkidu

Sabby, I used The Elder Scrolls Nexus (TES Nexus) it's a large source and the Mods are usually well-described as to what they contain. So search around there and I guarantee you'll find what you're looking for without much hassle. Seriously, I typed in "Battle Dress" and someone had a battle dress mod. The armor was pretty cool too.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Sabby

Jeramiahh already spammed that one to me, I got a dozen or so to try out xD

Sabby

Typical... the one game with idiot proof modding, and the one mod I actually wanted refuses to work for absolutely no reason that I can make out. Sounds about right.

Craz

Mods are tempermental things, very much so. Because, hey, you're screwing around with coding. Coding is tricksy.

Sabby

Now the others have stopped working. I am not wasting another minute on this fucking game tonight x.x tomorrow, will completely reinstall everything again and if it doesn't work I'm not touching it.

Inkidu

Quote from: Sabby on August 05, 2011, 12:08:44 PM
Now the others have stopped working. I am not wasting another minute on this fucking game tonight x.x tomorrow, will completely reinstall everything again and if it doesn't work I'm not touching it.
Make sure you delete the folder in Program Files called Oblivion, otherwise the game holds onto all your mods and stuff. Also, mods often conflict with one another. What I do is I install them one at a time and activate them one at a time. Yes, it's labor intensive because of having to close and open Oblivion, but it's worth it to make sure they all work.

If you're careful and pay attention though you pick up on how the mods are structured and it becomes second nature. I remember deleting all the regular clothing out of HGEC Female Armor mod so that I only had the Armor (plus I totally deleted his version of the arena garb. Don't look at me like that I got the clean versions.)
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.