Winter Olympics

Started by RedEve, February 12, 2018, 01:03:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RedEve

I really just started this thread because I wanted to talk about Canadian figure skaters Tessa Virtue and Scott Moir.

After their sizzling hot "Moulin Rouge" number at the Olympics, there are those online who question the platonic nature of their relationship.

I too think they are obviously banging each other.

The only alternative possibility is that the metric ton of sexual energy they display on the ice is the cause of a decade worth of unconsumed mutual desire.
"I don't have a dirty mind, I have a sexy imagination."
My ons and offs- My F-list

Jag

Why?

Other than being friends for most of their lives and doing a very well done routine mean they have to be 'banging' each other or that they have to have some kind of sexual tension? And even they do, why is that something important enough to talk about? Is it against the rules if they're banging each other (I don't know the rules, I don't watch the Olympics much).

I'm nowhere near as graceful as those two...but I am asexual, sex repulsed and been told I put on one hell of a tease dance. None of it is sexually fueled from my end. I simply know my routine. I make it look that way, because it's the way it's supposed to look. If their Moulin Rouge routine were not sizzling hot, it would have been a failure. Relationship or not, they knew what it was they wanted to portray. They are professionals.

I see no issue with believed the platonic nature of their relationship. And, if for some reason, they decide to pursue a relationship in the future, does that change anything?

Can't they just be friends and professionals who are good at what they do?
Ons/Offs // Request Thread (Updated 3/10/24) // Slow to Reply at the Moment

RedEve

Well obviously 99.99% is projecting, but they are real touchy-feely even outside of their routines for mere friends, imho.

Jag

*shrugs*

I'm like that with friends I've known since I was a child. We have no physical boundaries. They are some of the few people that I am touchy-feely with. They are obviously good friends and professionals who have been by each others sides since before they were 10 years old. I see nothing sexual about it.
Ons/Offs // Request Thread (Updated 3/10/24) // Slow to Reply at the Moment

Amaris

I am also that way with close friends. So much of those touchy feels, but no sexual attraction to each other whatsoever.

Ari the Witch

The thing about relationships of any kind is that you never really know for certain unless all people involved say it is. If they really are in a sexual relationship, is it really any business of anyone asked from the both of them, the two actually involved? If they want to keep their relationship under the radar, then that shouldn't be for anyone else to out it. On the other hand, if the relationship between them really is platonic, then people are just looking way too much into little things. Hell, I've been on the end of people assuming I'm with one of my best friends because I would sometimes sit on his lap, but we are and always have been just friends. I'm the type to be super close and weird with my friends, so to those who knew me well, it was nothing unusual or "romantic" or anything. It was simply a matter of people looking too much into little things and coming to assumptions. This is why I say you can never really know for certain. Plus doing something that requires such close contact with each other can really make things look more heated than they really are, and getting really into the movements just adds onto that. It could have been nothing with people looming too into it or it could have been more than what they want the world to know. Either way, it is up to them to "kiss and tell" if their relationship is more than platonic.
Quote from: Jag on February 12, 2018, 02:28:17 PM
Why?

Other than being friends for most of their lives and doing a very well done routine mean they have to be 'banging' each other or that they have to have some kind of sexual tension? And even they do, why is that something important enough to talk about? Is it against the rules if they're banging each other (I don't know the rules, I don't watch the Olympics much).

I'm nowhere near as graceful as those two...but I am asexual, sex repulsed and been told I put on one hell of a tease dance. None of it is sexually fueled from my end. I simply know my routine. I make it look that way, because it's the way it's supposed to look. If their Moulin Rouge routine were not sizzling hot, it would have been a failure. Relationship or not, they knew what it was they wanted to portray. They are professionals.

I see no issue with believed the platonic nature of their relationship. And, if for some reason, they decide to pursue a relationship in the future, does that change anything?

Can't they just be friends and professionals who are good at what they do?
Quote from: Jag on February 12, 2018, 02:35:55 PM
*shrugs*

I'm like that with friends I've known since I was a child. We have no physical boundaries. They are some of the few people that I am touchy-feely with. They are obviously good friends and professionals who have been by each others sides since before they were 10 years old. I see nothing sexual about it.
I believe Jag's input encapsulates my own point. People these days seem to be so engrossed with the sexual relationships of celebrities and professional athletes.

Oniya

The question is - does it matter?  Unless I remember wrong, the criteria for being an Olympic athlete have to do with one's ability and one's professional/amateur standing (although that last one was either waived or eliminated with the basketball 'Dream Team' (Michael Jordan et. al)  There is currently a husband and wife curling team competing in the Olympics, so I can't see that a pair of 'fuck-buddies' (if indeed they even are) would be at all an issue.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Cryptic

Quote from: Oniya on February 12, 2018, 02:39:55 PM
The question is - does it matter?  Unless I remember wrong, the criteria for being an Olympic athlete have to do with one's ability and one's professional/amateur standing (although that last one was either waived or eliminated with the basketball 'Dream Team' (Michael Jordan et. al)  There is currently a husband and wife curling team competing in the Olympics, so I can't see that a pair of 'fuck-buddies' (if indeed they even are) would be at all an issue.
Quote from: Jag on February 12, 2018, 02:35:55 PM
*shrugs*

I have to agree with both these statements, what does it matter if they are a couple or not. If they are hey great, get ready for the fireworks should they break up. But, to agree with Jag, I'm more touchy feely with my friends than normal. It doesn't mean I'm in a relationship, it means that they are a part of my group, my family, and I make sure they know that when I do see them and hang with them.
What Makes A Cryp-Tic (O/Os)
"All men were made by the Great Spirit Chief. They are all brothers." ~Chief Joseph
Cryptic's Little Shop Of Mysteries (Requests)NOT CURRENTLY LOOKING
"I have decided to stick with love. Hate is too great a burden to bear." ~Martin Luther King Jr.
A/A's
“If we have no peace, it is because we have forgotten that we belong to each other.” ~Mother Teresa

WindFish

So what if they are or aren't? They're great skaters who represent their country well, and from everything I've heard about them, they're good people as well.

I've never understood the fascination about who celebrities and athletes happen to be banging. It's none of our business.
Actively Searching For New One x Ones

Search Thread
O/Os
F-List

RedEve

Quote from: WindFish on February 12, 2018, 03:00:39 PM
So what if they are or aren't? They're great skaters who represent their country well, and from everything I've heard about them, they're good people as well.

I've never understood the fascination about who celebrities and athletes happen to be banging. It's none of our business.

But you could apply the same reasoning to every aspect of a celebrity's life, at which point, celebrity culture would not exist.

Which would be fine, but isn't the case in our reality.

Ari the Witch

On a personal level, I honestly don't understand the hype of Celebrity Culture. I do understand it on a psychological level, that curiosity about other people's lives. For me personally, though, I see no point in knowing every little thing about another's personal life. It's baseless gossip to me, and I'm not into that. I can understand when a celeb has done something awful and the populace has a right to know as to be wary, but other than that, I have little to no interest in their personal lives.

RedEve

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HFNiO3bVhU

Is this figure skating competition especially lit or did I just not pay close enough attention in the past?  :o

gaggedLouise

There have been husband-and-wife teams in figure skating before, just as there's been rock bands led by a couple who are married offstage. I don't see that it would matter in any averse way; if anything it probably increases the level of mutual trust in the stage/ice act. :)

Good girl but bad  -- Proud sister of the amazing, blackberry-sweet Violet Girl

Sometimes bound and cuntrolled, sometimes free and easy 

"I'm a pretty good cook, I'm sitting on my groceries.
Come up to my kitchen, I'll show you my best recipes"

Lilias

Quote from: gaggedLouise on February 13, 2018, 03:30:55 AM
There have been husband-and-wife teams in figure skating before, just as there's been rock bands led by a couple who are married offstage. I don't see that it would matter in any averse way; if anything it probably increases the level of mutual trust in the stage/ice act. :)

Elena Berezhnaya and Anton Sikharulidze were involved on-and-off between 1996 and 2002, and remain good friends. Margarita Drobiazko and Povilas Vanagas married 8 years into their partnership and remain so today, as do Marina Klimova and Sergey Ponomarenko (for a record 33 years now). Jayne Torvill and Christopher Dean had a fling early in their careers and broke it off because they feared it would damage their partnership. There have been all sorts of relationships between skating partners; whatever works for each one. We probably can't even imagine what it's like to work so closely with another for years on end.

On the  other hand, Isabelle and Paul Duchesnay got up to some pretty intense choreography, and no one seemed to find that disturbing just because they were siblings. It's what actors do every day, after all.
To go in the dark with a light is to know the light.
To know the dark, go dark. Go without sight,
and find that the dark, too, blooms and sings,
and is traveled by dark feet and dark wings.
~Wendell Berry

Double Os <> Double As (updated Mar 30) <> The Hoard <> 50 Tales 2024 <> The Lab <> ELLUIKI

Oniya

Quote from: gaggedLouise on February 13, 2018, 03:30:55 AM

Three words for you there:

Fleetwood Mac: Rumors.

;D
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

gaggedLouise

Quote from: Oniya on February 13, 2018, 07:49:07 AM
Three words for you there:

Fleetwood Mac: Rumors.

;D

Yep. Or ABBA (for most of their band career, actually two married couples - when the marriages fell apart, the band began to fracture as well).

On the other hand, there was much speculation in the 1980s and 90s on whether the two elegant men of Pet Shop Boys were actually a couple (they were not even open with their being gay, but that much was guessed by lots of people anyway). It turns out they were not dating each other, just good friends.

Good girl but bad  -- Proud sister of the amazing, blackberry-sweet Violet Girl

Sometimes bound and cuntrolled, sometimes free and easy 

"I'm a pretty good cook, I'm sitting on my groceries.
Come up to my kitchen, I'll show you my best recipes"

Rel Mayer

Lets all just take a moment and remember how awesome Nathan Chen was during his freeskate.

Boy can skate. I can't wait to see him in the next Olympics if he continues to improve. I think he may even win a medal in the future ones. :)

CriminalMindsFan

I'm a ladies figure skating watcher so I missed this pair. I did hear about a sibling pair this year and my first thought was eww because I can't really see it as something siblings would do together.