Server movementage

Started by Vekseid, November 08, 2008, 02:19:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vekseid

The new site can be found at http://70.32.39.16 for the record. I've taken the forums offline, and will take these offline when performing the forum move. Nothing that gets posted will be lost.

Okay, as some of you know I'm not exactly right in the head at the moment so I'm distracting myself with something suitably mindless and necessary.  One of these things is a long-overdue server move... which is in progress now >_>

The first phase is the wiki and the front end of the site, or 'blogs'. After the cron runs its backup in a little less than two hours from this post, I'm baleeting it all. It's going to be replaced by a scary looking message on the front of the site that will partially explain things.

After that, tomorrow, I will be moving over the forums proper. While that will only take me a few minutes, it can take as much as a day for caches to clear. Because of that, the front page of this site is going to be replaced with Elliquiy's shiny new dedicated ip address.

For those of you in the know, yes, that means we're going to have proper ssl (https) soon. Hopefully it will also allow us to have a real search engine if I can get Sphinx to work. Since I'm the type to get things to work in general I'm not too worried about that.

I'll post the IP address when the forums have moved.

4 AM CST: All of the files have been moved, and the notice is up on the front. Today's DB backup in in the process of being appropriately integrated.

5:30 AM CST: Everything is working on the new server (aside from some craziness regarding the domain name), including a copy of the forums. There's going to be another big bold annoying piece of text going up top soon.

Everything is now in order for the move. Any uploaded avatars from now on will be lost. Any posts you make on these forums after the 4:30 AM EST backup will be lost, but since the backup freezes the forums, don't count on making it.

4:30 AM EST is 3:30 CST / 1:30 PST / 2:30 MST for the US, which I think will be 8:30 AM GMT.

Afterwards, there will be about a day's worth of funny business regarding the domain name. The raw IP resolves to Elliquiy, however, so things should only be down for about an hour at the most.

Vekseid

...which means the fun begins about 19 hours from the datestamp of this post, for the curious.

Vekseid

And since everyone's asking, no, no one is going to lose anything as long as they save their posts after the big bold warning time has passed (~18 hours from now).

Nothing that's currently on these forums is going to be lost.

Sugarman (hal)

will we need to log in?
I've forgotten my password ::) My user name is halspeedyrp.
"And in the end
The love you take
Is equal to the love you make."

My On/Off's

Vekseid

Uh, yeah...

Make sure your e-mail works, or have a goddess or I on IM, either way... :-p

King_Furby

since your moving to a new server, wont the old one be sad  ;D

Cherri Tart

umm... can we have pets in the new space?  and what about re arranging the furniture and painting?  oh, and need a spare key cause i've lost mine already.  I think that's all the important questions... thnx in advance.

cherri-doodle
you were never able to keep me breathing as the water rises up again

O/O, Cherri Flavored

Vekseid

Quote from: Cherri Tart on November 08, 2008, 02:28:15 PM
umm... can we have pets in the new space?  and what about re arranging the furniture and painting?  oh, and need a spare key cause i've lost mine already.  I think that's all the important questions... thnx in advance.

cherri-doodle

Owners are required to clean up after their pets, or face a penalty of up to two weeks without spankings.

Rearranging furniture is a planned future feature. I'm not kidding, you'll know what I mean when you see it >_>

Spare keys must be requested from vekseid@elliquiy.com

Vekseid

Vekseid

http://70.32.39.16/forums/index.php?action=profile;sa=theme

Since the server dropped a time zone, you may notice your clock is off. Go there to fix : )

Psi

Emoticons are out - looks like the path is acting up.

Vekseid

Fixed.

There's still going to be some oddities with the ip address for a bit until I force the config over. : )

Vekseid

Honestly, this is going better than expected, the new server seems immensely faster:

ping elliquiy.com

Pinging elliquiy.com [64.247.40.45] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 64.247.40.45: bytes=32 time=44ms TTL=53
Reply from 64.247.40.45: bytes=32 time=46ms TTL=53
Reply from 64.247.40.45: bytes=32 time=46ms TTL=53

Ping statistics for 64.247.40.45:
    Packets: Sent = 3, Received = 3, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 44ms, Maximum = 46ms, Average = 45ms

ping elliquiy.com

Pinging elliquiy.com [70.32.39.16] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 70.32.39.16: bytes=32 time=18ms TTL=49
Reply from 70.32.39.16: bytes=32 time=17ms TTL=49
Reply from 70.32.39.16: bytes=32 time=18ms TTL=49
Reply from 70.32.39.16: bytes=32 time=17ms TTL=49

Greenthorn

Well...I found one problem (you knew I would right?  ;D )

Went to unlock a topic and modify it but when I clicked the index of the main post, it opened in another window and wanted me to re-login even though I've cleared my cache and cookies.

Is there something I forgot to do?

Will

Quote from: Greenthorn on November 09, 2008, 10:05:41 AM
Went to unlock a topic and modify it but when I clicked the index of the main post, it opened in another window and wanted me to re-login even though I've cleared my cache and cookies.

It's doing that with all in-thread links.
If you can heal the symptoms, but not affect the cause
It's like trying to heal a gunshot wound with gauze

One day, I will find the right words, and they will be simple.
- Jack Kerouac

Vekseid

Like I've mentioned, can't move the main configs over until I know everyone is moved over.

Trieste

The new stuff that I've seen thus far looks nice. Great job, Veks ... I definitely look forward to seeing more shape up as you finish moving things around and working on it.

Vekseid

Okay, I fixed the login issue so that it will work both from the ip address and the domain name.

The wiki unfortunately can only handle one sort of skullduggery at a time, so you can't edit the wiki while logged in from the ip address. You should be able to view it, however.

Going to fix the config on the front of the site and then this can be 'done' for the most part. : )

Does seem faster though >_>

Will

Thanks a lot for your effort, Vekseid, and for being patient with our repetive questions. :)  We're clearly very lucky to have you!
If you can heal the symptoms, but not affect the cause
It's like trying to heal a gunshot wound with gauze

One day, I will find the right words, and they will be simple.
- Jack Kerouac