Interest Check: Constantinople by Night (OWOD vampire campaign pitch)

Started by Kolbrandr, May 16, 2014, 07:12:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RubySlippers

Kolbrandr

Oh, quick note for anyone that actually does have Constantinople by Night, so, white wolf and npc stats. White wolf is also often super terrible at statting its npcs to match things like the descriptions of those npcs, with characters either wildly, ridiculously understatted or wildly overstatted. Basically don't consider their mechanical stats to be any kind of gospel in any case.

RubySlippers

Don't have that book but anyway finished my characters back story it is not ambitious she has a role though and should be interesting.

Meliai

OH HEY should probably state my interest here instead of just babbling at Kol huh?

Statement of interest! This will be my first Vampire game but I'm reading through the DA:V book right now and I have a little experience with other white wolf games so I don't think there should be too many problems in that area.

She's not super fleshed out yet since I want to read into the setting more before I hammer out the fine details but here's the character I proposed:

"So I'm leaning towards a Salubri girl, someone who was a botanical prodigy before she was bitten and came to the attention of her Sire because she could grow basically anything, thus able to provide rare/exotic/difficult herbs for healing and junk.
Sort of shy and bookish, but very empathetic. Kind of a bleeding heart.
But since the whole Clan-Patron-apparently-murdered and reputation-completely-mangled she's sort of retreated in on herself and is struggling between wanting to tell every other vampire to go fuck themselves and her innately nurturing/protective nature"

She's probably a relatively recent arrival in Constantinople, and at the start she's really only there because the Salubri aren't being actively hunted in the city but obviously I'm going to dump her straight into the center of whatever local drama looks like the most fun :D
    {{A/As updated 5/8}}           

RubySlippers

Actually if my character is approved she would get along with yours if the faith differences aren't an issue.

ThePrince

While I don't have the time to play in this group game. I have become very interested in the Byzantium Empire and it's capital Constantinople.

If you are looking for references and themes of the city and it's history. I highly recommend the http://12byzantinerulers.com/ podcast. It's quiet a long story but incredibly interesting if I do say so myself.

Best of luck.
RP Request Thread
O/O's
I am what I am. I am my own special creation.
So come take a look, Give me the hook or the ovation.
It's my world that I want to have a little pride in.
It's my world and it's not a place I have to hide in.
Life ain't worth a dam till you can say I am what I am.

RubySlippers

This game is getting my creative juices flowing.

I'm going to draft out some things and hope the back story impressed the ST enough to go with my concept.

Orange Marmalade

I'm totally behind on everything... still interested though. I'm leaning more towards a Gangrel at this point. but I seriously need to refresh myself of the history and city before I can write up a history.

RubySlippers

You don't have to be a native to the city. My character isn't but has a good reason to be there.

Orange Marmalade

Quote from: RubySlippers on May 23, 2014, 04:53:22 PM
You don't have to be a native to the city. My character isn't but has a good reason to be there.

*nod* general world politics are important though and I want to read up there, both human and cainite :) Yay for a 3 day weekend though.

RubySlippers

RubySlippers

PM a back story see what the ST thinks, he seems open minded on options if one is flexible.

Kolbrandr

Quote from: ManofDawnLight on May 23, 2014, 08:08:51 PM
I haven't read all the posts here, but I'm interested.  Clans I play well: lasombra, bruja, settite.  Notify me if you get the game running.

Honestly, once the game actually gets going, it would be a bit hard to just plunk you down in the midst of everyone else's established characters. It's why I'm collecting backstories and putting up setting information now. I'd prefer you put together some sort of concept to mention first. I'm still talking out concepts with various people, it's not as though you need to have something sorted out and finished by tomorrow.

RubySlippers

Just have fun, I sent in a concept the ST didn't like so I did something else he seems to find better and I like a lot to. Why not pop off two or three ideas see what you and the ST like.

Miroque

I would love to apply with Twisted Ventrue from Old Roman empire... But as E! dont allow "private tags" on posts, how are the secrets handeled?

Kolbrandr

Quote from: Miroque on May 25, 2014, 08:21:15 AM
I would love to apply with Twisted Ventrue from Old Roman empire... But as E! dont allow "private tags" on posts, how are the secrets handeled?

By noting what you intend secret wise to me first, that we're probably in game going to handle some stuff as far as characters via pm, but otherwise ultimately for some stuff we're just going to have to have a measure of trust in each other (I know, the internet, that can be asking a lot) not to get too metagamey with things, and that if you feel such is going down in game, to talk to me about it. I have certainly disallowed some stuff that I feel would strain that whole notion too hard, but I think we can all handle that sort of situation to at least a certain extent.

Like the notion of running an elder campaign at all, there is an element here of "let's in fact try to have nice things", yes.

edit: with that said, do note that I'm trying to have the embrace range start around the 6th century CE. If you have your heart set on having seen the days of Western Rome, I can bend that to the mid-late 5th century, but that's as far as I want to bend there.

RubySlippers

The character could have been in Torpor awhile to, might be fun the PC woke up with Rome full of barbarians and the Byzantine Empire the last vestiges of Rome with Islam at the gates as a rising power. I could think of it as shock value especially most of the Elders holdings are gone and had to work at rebuilding some of that in the Back Story.

Miroque

I actually was thinking of thirth/fourth  centcury Ventue from Roman Empire, that has been sleeping (torpor) after the fall of Rome. And now wants to set up her business..

And for secrets, PMs are good enough for me. Are we posting our app's open, or send them to you (ST) directly ?

RubySlippers

Sounds fun to me. But is TWISTED Ventrue a new bloodline of Ventrue?   :D

j/k

Miroque

Yes.. they have Vicissitude, Daimoinon and Dementation as their clan disciplines... That Twisted :)

RubySlippers

That would be a fun Caitiff in a modern game if anyone would let me do it.  >:)

Seriously seems like me the mix of clans and concepts will be interesting my character being a Muslim Cainite Diplomat to the Court in the great city she needed to make money and she is forbidden by Islamic Law to charge interest so she invests in businesses and takes a share of the profits so is a Dark Ages version of a Financier. She can own a share of a business.

ST how are you handling Vampire retainers?

Kolbrandr

Quote from: Miroque on May 25, 2014, 12:43:17 PM
Yes.. they have Vicissitude, Daimoinon and Dementation as their clan disciplines... That Twisted :)

Daimoinon would fall under my no infernal vampires thing, unfortunately.

RubySlippers

Okay Animalism, Dementation and Vicissitude you could drive others mad and have some vicious animal retainers so monstrous as to be make mortals piss their armor.   >:)

Miroque

And ... that post was so full of sarcasm that you could hit it with an planet..

RubySlippers

LOL

Seriously this game is intriguing me but I want to get to working on my character sheet.